WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Lets be honest, that is unenforceable. They will NEVER kick out a family because of a 2 year old, could you imagine the fame your family would get if Disney kicked you out for that. Also they can not determine a child's age anyways

Reminds me at the resort I used to work at. We had a gym and no one under 15 was allowed. Anytime we questioned someone, all they had to say was, I'm 15, and we had to let them in, no way for us to force them to prove it

I heard on the radio today, when they were talking about Disney opening back up, that Disney said there will be no screaming on rides!! Haha! My husband thinks this is true. I haven’t seen that anywhere!! :confused3

Lets be honest, that is unenforceable. They will NEVER kick out a family because of a 2 year old, could you imagine the fame your family would get if Disney kicked you out for that. Also they can not determine a child's age anyways
my kid was saying she was 3 before she actually was thats how lol
Also I agree there is a difference in reminding a kid to put a mask on vs a kid just not trying at all though.

I heard on the radio today, when they were talking about Disney opening back up, that Disney said there will be no screaming on rides!! Haha! My husband thinks this is true. I haven’t seen that anywhere!! :confused3

lol, I think common sense needs to prevail here. There is a 0% chance that could be enforced. This aint planet fitness with their lunk alarm

Got the email this morning. Our trip is in October.

also again carlye is usually pretty reliable. Don’t shoot the messenger here:
View attachment 497798View attachment 497797

FWIW, this is NOT what Disney told me when I called today. Said since we are staying onsite they assume we intend to visit parks and will get priority. Will need to purchase tickets when they open that option back up before we can use the reservation system.

I think there’s a park in.. japan(?).. which was subject to a news article about this. I assume the radio guy just figured every theme park is a Disney theme park.

FWIW, this is NOT what Disney told me when I called today. Said since we are staying onsite they assume we intend to visit parks and will get priority. Will need to purchase tickets when they open that option back up before we can use the reservation system.
I think the post you quoted was speaking of "priority access" -- WDW has stated that those who currently have tickets will get "priority access" to the reservation system before any new ticket sales. Since you do not have a ticket right now, you would be a new ticket sale (whether that's tomorrow, next week or next month) because you do not currently have a ticket in-hand. You should still be able to access the park reservation system, possibly before off-site guests (?), but others will get to reserve first.

I would really hope that they're more understanding and flexible with small children and masks. We are taking our soon to be 4 year old in November and I see us having to constantly remind her about keeping the mask on.

Only my opinion but I don't think you will need to worry about wearing masks come November.

So assuming that they are beefing up the mobile ordering, with addition of locations, and payment methods being added, it can be surmised they are planning on Quick service (QS) carrying the bulk of food service operations. If this is the case, i once again point out that having the DDP in place is a good tool to better target your ordering numbers, especially if you know what accounts have reservations for which park, on which day, add on a dining reservation system to that, and you can target where they will be eating , thereby making it easier to, plan for, handle and accomodate those guests. Otherwise, they are playing a crap shoot as to who will be eating what, when, and where only adding to the chaos.

Guest that aren't staying in villas won't be able to make food in their rooms, and will need to eat somewhere. Many won't be renting cars to drive off property (unless they remove the parking fees). Pretty sure they won't be allowing Door Dash to deliver to guests. So they have to be planning on being able to feed resort guests regardless of DDP or not.

I honestly think that they are looking at the DDP from the wrong angle. Yes they over saturated the system by offering Free DDP to those that were cancelled, and rebooked. But the bulk of those guest would probably fall under the quick service version of DDP, which it looks like they will be leaning heavily on quick service anyway, which is grab and go for the most part, with outdoor seating (a few exceptions). The difficulty in accommodation only comes into play at the table service (TS) level, which is regulated by the reservation system. Table service for free DDP was only offered at delux level accommodation a smaller number of guests. If guests opted to purchase a Standard or Delux plan at the time of booking, you already know how many guests you have eating. If you limit the capacity of your guests, then you control the number of people you have to feed and the number of reservations you need to accomodate. The reservation system can prioritize those with DDP over guests who did not plan ahead (they can play the lottery for available tables or go to QS).

The QS people won't be dining at TS facilities unless they pay out of pocket (which would be unlikely). You can more easily accomodate those that chose to plan ahead by purchasing a DDP. Especially if they book where they are going to eat 60 days out, let alone those that had lredy booked 90 or 120 days ago.

Last edited:
I would really hope that they're more understanding and flexible with small children and masks. We are taking our soon to be 4 year old in November and I see us having to constantly remind her about keeping the mask on.

you might want to consider beginning to use masks with your little ones now...make it a game or pretend play or putting on their doll or stuffed animal just start with holding it up briefly than gradually increase play with masks until kids get used to seeing you wearing one and become accustomed to having masks around. I certainly wouldn’t wait til you get to Disney and spring it on them I can guarantee that won’t work...shop Disney is now selling child size masks that are really appealing. have fun with masks and your child will be more comfortable with the need to wear one when the time comes...

I do understand, but how do they accommodate who gets to use the promo and who doesn’t? How would you have felt to get an email that said we had to cut back on how many free dining bounce backs there were, so we did a random drawing and you lost? Or, you can keep it but we won’t guarantee you will be able to use it?

If you allow someone to keep free dining, then you have to give them a chance to use it. Too many people wanting too few spots at restaurants,

I give Disney credit that they made this decision and put it out knowing it would upset many customers, but what choice do they really have? They know a WDW is a lot of money. Being honest and upfront that they can’t offer you what they thought they could when you booked last year was the right thing to do,

The park hours may be reduced because they really don’t know how long they need to successfully clean and prepare the park for the next day.

And, I disagree with you that Disney is expecting you to pay rack rate. They are letting you know that they can’t offer you a deal or the experience and gave guests the option to cancel.

Obviously, there would be disappointment but I just don’t understand the level of anger that they think Disney wants to have to run like this. They are losing billions daily. I believe they know the guests who will come foe the rest of 2020 are the ones who are repeat guests or local who have been enough that the reduced experience, and loss of FPs, ADRs, and the dining plan don’t matter,

My last thought...I think they learned a hard lesson when they offered the recovery package too soon...they couldn’t deliver so now, they are not going to put out a new discount that they may or may not be able to honor,

I do hope that all that have to reschedule will end up getting to come back at a time when things are more Disney and I would be surprised if specials for 2021 aren’t offered,,,although I am not sure we will see free dining again.
Again, they could at the very least allow us to book with a room discount we would have otherwise used. They're asking us to pay way more than what we orginally agreed to and won't even allow us to drop the more expensive tix. etc. Really what it boils down to is they want us to cancel...they only want to deal with the guests that will pay the most. It's been a sad turn of events for us.

I feel like I'm at a restaurant, and the waiter hands me a menu that just says "fish" and "chicken" "pasta." Then 10 minute later they come back with a menu that now includes the side dishes, but nothing about the preparation. Then they come back with a menu with some more details on each entree, but still no prices. Then they come out with another menu that adds no new information but changes some of the old info. I just want them to tell us what's the on the menu already and what it is going to cost me!!!!

Would be better if they had not announced anything at all than this ridiculous game where we keep having to look at the website and find the hidden changes. First they said non-DVC resort hotels would open July 11, then they took that out. First three years old, now two years for masks. First dining plan is cancelled to 2021, now 2020.

C'mon Disney--proofread your dang website copy before you post it to millions of people.

Again, they could at the very least allow us to book with a room discount we would have otherwise used. They're asking us to pay way more than what we orginally agreed to and won't even allow us to drop the more expensive tix. etc. Really what it boils down to is they want us to cancel...they only want to deal with the guests that will pay the most. It's been a sad turn of events for us.

And maybe they still will once the reservation system goes into effect and they see how it works...

I am really sorry for you and everyone else who planned and now find out a few months ahead that I won’t be what it is. A very good friend of mine has to wait until next year because her FD BB was the first week in July and no chance to even rebook now if they wanted.

I'm hearing UO will require temp checks at the hotel. How does that work though? Whether it's an ear infection or covid (god forbid), we can't plan for that and we can't just go home lol. I assume they will have procedures to accomdodate febrile people to be in their rooms at least but still. Worst case scenario and a family contracts covid, will they have CM's deliver food?

The cons are stacking up. I have an inflammatory condition that has occasionally led to a temperature over 100. It's not an infectious fever and I can't predict when it happens. I feel like the temp checks are ironically unhelpful. Asymptomatic people often don't have fevers and symptomatic people might not. I'd rather be asked how I'm feeling. There has to be a certain trust transaction at a theme park. Masks are the mainstay for keeping droplets contained in hospital settings and is the best we can expect of anyone.

Only my opinion but I don't think you will need to worry about wearing masks come November.
I hope you’re right. We are mentally preparing ourselves. I see these types of restrictions in place until there’s a treatment/vaccine or no more new cases.

I'm hearing UO will require temp checks at the hotel. How does that work though? Whether it's an ear infection or covid (god forbid), we can't plan for that and we can't just go home lol. I assume they will have procedures to accomdodate febrile people to be in their rooms at least but still. Worst case scenario and a family contracts covid, will they have CM's deliver food?

The cons are stacking up. I have an inflammatory condition that has occasionally led to a temperature over 100. It's not an infectious fever and I can't predict when it happens. I feel like the temp checks are ironically unhelpful. Asymptomatic people often don't have fevers and symptomatic people might not. I'd rather be asked how I'm feeling. There has to be a certain trust transaction at a theme park. Masks are the mainstay for keeping droplets contained in hospital settings and is the best we can expect of anyone.
As I understand it if you have 100.4+ at check in they won’t let you check in; if you have 100.4+ upon return then you mush quarantine in your room.

So assuming that they are beefing up the mobile ordering, with addition of locations, and payment methods being added, it can be surmised they are planning on Quick service (QS) carrying the bulk of food service operations. If this is the case, i once again point out that having the DDP in place is a good tool to better target your ordering numbers, especially if you know what accounts have reservations for which park, on which day, add on a dining reservation system to that, and you can target where they will be eating , thereby making it easier to, plan for, handle and accomodate those guests. Otherwise, they are playing a crap shoot as to who will be eating what, when, and where only adding to the chaos.

Guest that aren't staying in villas won't be able to make food in their rooms, and will need to eat somewhere. Many won't be renting cars to drive off property (unless they remove the parking fees). Pretty sure they won't be allowing Door Dash to deliver to guests. So they have to be planning on being able to feed resort guests regardless of DDP or not.

I honestly think that they are looking at the DDP from the wrong angle. Yes they over saturated the system by offering Free DDP to those that were cancelled, and rebooked. But the bulk of those guest would probably fall under the quick service version of DDP, which it looks like they will be leaning heavily on quick service anyway, which is grab and go for the most part, with outdoor seating (a few exceptions). The difficulty in accommodation only comes into play at the table service (TS) level, which is regulated by the reservation system. Table service for free DDP was only offered at delux level accommodation a smaller number of guests. If guests opted to purchase a Standard or Delux plan at the time of booking, you already know how many guests you have eating. If you limit the capacity of your guests, then you control the number of people you have to feed and the number of reservations you need to accomodate. The reservation system can prioritize those with DDP over guests who did not plan ahead (they can play the lottery for available tables or go to QS).

The QS people won't be dining at TS facilities unless they pay out of pocket (which would be unlikely). You can more easily accomodate those that chose to plan ahead by purchasing a DDP. Especially if they book where they are going to eat 60 days out, let alone those that had lredy booked 90 or 120 days ago.

Perhaps the plan is QS locations only at first... with everything else they have changed - why stop now.
I’ve been going to WDW since 1980 but in the last 48 hours they’ve managed to not only surprise me with the gutting of the disney experience, but with the lengths they seem to be willing to go... smh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter