WDW the week of Christmas

momof2kids

Earning My Ears
Ok so DH has agreed to let me look into WDW the week of Christmas.
How crowded is it? I am looking into staying at the Marriott Courtyard in
Downtown Disney. How inexpensively can we do this for. All help is greatly
appreciated. Thank you all ahead of time.

Having had some experience with travelling to WDW around the Christmas period, IMHO I would stay onsite - wherever your budget can afford - for the convenience of the transportation system and the guarantee of entry to the Parks - during this very busy time period. All Orlando area hotel prices are high during this time period anyway, and I would much prefer staying at one of the All Stars than staying offsite during Christmas week. If your budget can take one of the moderates or a premiere resort, all the better.

I went last year the week before christmas and it was getting busier every day. The week between christmas and new years is one of the two busiest weeks. Try the mousesavers website for discount codes and ideas.

I have been to WDW during parts of this time period and let me tell you the crowds are UNBELIEVABLE!!! In fact there are so many people there it is hard to see the Christmas stuff you are going there to see! Many days the parks are closed to all but resort guests because of crowds so stay on site if you still decide to go. If you are one who enjoys huge crowds as kind of a party atmosphere you might not find it as disturbing as we did. It's too much for me!

Just wondering which park would be the least crowded on Christmas Day? Any opinions?

The worst crowd will be at MK, otherwise it's variable. However, if you're planning to go at that time, I'd move it and get those ressies! I've heard there's sold out rooms already.

Thanks Mikesmom, we have ressie at all star sports with the code for $59.
I tried to get WL Deluxe, (there are 5 of us), but the price she quoted me for 12-23 - 12-26 was WAY WAY too much. Anyone have another idea? We had ressie at PORiverside, but only got the rack rate so we changed to All Star when the new code came out.

It will be very busy-especially if you're also there New Years Eve. Stay on site as Emmyfaye said because you could be shut out of the parks on busy days otherwise. If you are there New Years Eve, go into the park you're planning to spend the midnight celebration in very early in the morning. You can leave and come back later. Check with the gate before you leave just to confirm this-take names for verification. On New Years Eve 1999, Epcot closed by 8AM. We got in at 7:30AM and came back later but needed to show hand stamp and resort card to do so. When staying onsite, you're guaranteed you will get into a park, but it may be Animal Kingdom or a park you rather not be in at midnight. Granted, the millenium celebrations are over, but you never know, so staying onsite will make life a lot easier.

We have gone every year for 8 years and can tell you that it is really really crowded starting the 2nd week in Dec. You can go ahead and make priority seating arrangements for the bigger resturants up to 90 days in advance, maybe more, I don't remember. And if you have room in the budget, the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package is a great way to celebrate the holidays. :D

We have spent Christmas at WDW for the past two years and really loved it. The decorations are truly outstanding. The parks are crowded but manageable except on New Years Eve and Christmas itself. Park hours are very long, so I suggest arriving early, taking an afternoon break then returning for the evening. Eat breakfast in your room and lunch off site and you can save. The Osborn lights at MGM, the candlelight processional, tree lightings at all the parks are wonderful. For any meals on site, make all PS arrangements well in advance. All 2001 souvenirs will be on sale. Have a great trip and Merry Christmas.

In my humble opinion...don't go then! This is THE most crowded time to go. Disney has even closed the parks during this time because of maximum capacity. If you go on New Years, you will not be able to move. If you do decide to go, if you haven't already made reservations, do so immediately as they usually are booked during this time a year in advance. Really, if you want to see Disney with all its Christmas trimmings, go the week before Christmas or the week after. Disney doesn't take their decorations down until after the first week and by this time most of the crowds have gone. Most Disney employees will tell you not to plan to go during this time. We live close to Disney and go throughout the year (we have the resident passes) and going during this time just isn't fun. Usually after Labor Day until the second week in November is the best time to go. Cooler weather and no crowds:)

The kids will be so disappointed if they cant get into the parks! We are going Dec 26 - 2 Jan and are staying off-site - the ressie is non-refundable :( I never even considered Disney would close the parks to anyone that wasnt staying at a resort... ugh... hope I havent ruined the holidays by changing plans.

Sheila

Don't change your plans! We always go at Easter break when the crowds can be really bad. We have stayed on site and off. We always got there early to make sure we would get in. This time we will venture down for Christmas and stay on site, but you should just plan accordingly. Enjoy yourself!! It's a vacation!! I would pick a park that had early entry the day before. Something I learned from these boards.:D

i got port oleans dec 25 to jan 1 for 99.00 a night with a annuual pass it might be worth gettin one and save alot on the room...the extra cost of the pass will pay for itself in one night the cut off date for this is dec 25 so you have to book that date but youll get the lower rate the entire stay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter