WDW ride suggestions for an adult with joint instability and mild motion sickness

Just saying Hello from another EDS'er! I also have dysautonomia but standing is more a problem for me than walking. I'm planning a fall trip and haven't been for such a a long time- I really didn't have any limitations before. I'm avoiding all roller coasters but am going to try other rides as long as they're not too jerky. I'm a little scared of the dizziness so we'll see how much I can do. I hope you have fun!!! Disney is a wonderful place and some of my favorite memories are from there. Smart to plan ahead!!

I completely forgot about the lack of neck/back support during that part of Haunted Mansion! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. I am hesitant to ride HM because I don't want it to cause symptoms which in turn affect the rest of my day at the park. I will have to put some more thought into this. Perhaps I will watch a youtube video of the ride and memorize when I need to brace myself.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you have with your neck. I can certainly empathize. Wishing you good health.
There is neck and back support on Haunted Mansion - the doom buggy has a full back and roof. The issue is that it is very hard, not contoured for the shape of your head and your weight is on it.
I have neck issues on that ride so I usually was up a sweatshirt and put it under my neck right before.

Thank you for the info! How does Peoplemover compare to the bumper-car effect toward the end of it's a small world (when all the boats ram into each other)? Which would you say is a more gentle ride?
the PeopleMover cars are connected together in groups on a track, so they won’t ram into each other like the Small World boats do.
But, the seatback only comes up to most people’s mid-back, so there is no neck or back support if it does stop, start or slow suddenly

Just saying Hello from another EDS'er! I also have dysautonomia but standing is more a problem for me than walking. I'm planning a fall trip and haven't been for such a a long time- I really didn't have any limitations before. I'm avoiding all roller coasters but am going to try other rides as long as they're not too jerky. I'm a little scared of the dizziness so we'll see how much I can do. I hope you have fun!!! Disney is a wonderful place and some of my favorite memories are from there. Smart to plan ahead!!

Wow, we are totally in the same boat! I am so happy to hear that you're well enough to go back to WDW this Fall!! Wishing you great health and many happy memories. I would love to hear how your trip goes and which rides you would/wouldn't recommend for someone with EDS. Also, are you aware of DAS? Perhaps it might help you.

There is neck and back support on Haunted Mansion - the doom buggy has a full back and roof. The issue is that it is very hard, not contoured for the shape of your head and your weight is on it.
I have neck issues on that ride so I usually was up a sweatshirt and put it under my neck right before.

the PeopleMover cars are connected together in groups on a track, so they won’t ram into each other like the Small World boats do.
But, the seatback only comes up to most people’s mid-back, so there is no neck or back support if it does stop, start or slow suddenly

Thank you so much for the info! Your response really cleared up my confusion and jogged my memory. I'm very greatful for the rolled sweatshirt tip!

Wow, we are totally in the same boat! I am so happy to hear that you're well enough to go back to WDW this Fall!! Wishing you great health and many happy memories. I would love to hear how your trip goes and which rides you would/wouldn't recommend for someone with EDS. Also, are you aware of DAS? Perhaps it might help you.
I have heard of the DAS but never considered it for myself. I figured Disney would just that I use a wheelchair. But I've come too far to do that and really want the exercise of walking.‍♀️

I have heard of the DAS but never considered it for myself. I figured Disney would just that I use a wheelchair. But I've come too far to do that and really want the exercise of walking.‍♀️

AGREED! I'll have to see how my health is closer to my trip. As of right now, I wouldn't need a wheelchair, but I would still benefit from a DAS. I'm sort of in-between the two options and I'm not sure if I'm eligible for either.

AGREED! I'll have to see how my health is closer to my trip. As of right now, I wouldn't need a wheelchair, but I would still benefit from a DAS. I'm sort of in-between the two options and I'm not sure if I'm eligible for either.
Yup. I'm right there! I'm going to keep researching it and maybe check with Guest Services when I get there. I'll be there when it's less crowded BUT it will be hotter, which can be death to us! Already practicing walking outside in the summer weather.The cooling towel is a godsend!

You will need to go to GR and talk to them about your concerns for being on the physical line and why waiting out side would be better then waiting inside the line. Two people with the same DX can need two different things. As fair as a wheelchair if you will need a set sometimes I would not rely on finding one at Disney just because you have a wheelchair does not mean you have to sit in it all the time you can push it too also a roller might be a better fit for you.

Yup. I'm right there! I'm going to keep researching it and maybe check with Guest Services when I get there. I'll be there when it's less crowded BUT it will be hotter, which can be death to us! Already practicing walking outside in the summer weather.The cooling towel is a godsend!

I think stopping by Guest Relations is a good plan :) I hope the weather is manageable for you! Agreed - cooling towels are awesome.

You will need to go to GR and talk to them about your concerns for being on the physical line and why waiting out side would be better then waiting inside the line. Two people with the same DX can need two different things. As fair as a wheelchair if you will need a set sometimes I would not rely on finding one at Disney just because you have a wheelchair does not mean you have to sit in it all the time you can push it too also a roller might be a better fit for you.

Agreed. I will certainly speak with Guest Relations when I arrive. I'm not a candidate for a mobility aid at this point but, should the need for one arise, I won't hesitate to use one.

I haven’t heard a lot of complaints of motion sickness, but it’s a possibility. My son in law has motion sickness and didn’t have any issues with it, but that doesn’t mean you won’t.
After you finish one game, the ride car spins quickly around as it moves to the next game. Some people find the spin jarring. You can tell it’s coming, so can brace.
You might want to check out videos of this one on YouTube. A YouTube poster named Big Fat Panda does really good videos in general from the standpoint of showing guests with disabilities what to expect.
This ride is part of the new Toy Story Land, but other than the entrance and exit, it should be pretty much the same.

There is a thread near the top of this board that has information about the Pandora attractions. The first few pages are gathering information before and right after Pandora opened.
Flights of Passage is really variable with reports of motion sickness. Some people have issues, some people had no problem if they looked away at certain points and some people had no problems because the motion you feel really seems to match the motion you see.
Na’vi River Journey is a very smooth and gentle boat ride.

I forgot to ask about Kilimanjaro Safaris. I have read reports that it is manageable if you sit in the front/second row. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I forgot to ask about Kilimanjaro Safaris. I have read reports that it is manageable if you sit in the front/second row. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I find it less bumpy in the front but it can get very bumpy in the front depending on how fast the driver is going. The back rest goes half way up your back so there is no support

Since there is only spot someone who needs to stay in their wheelchair can sit, we have ridden in the very front many, many times. The wheelchair is securely strapped down and she has a seatbelt, but she still bounces a lot during the ride.
I have also ridden without her multiple times, where I was sitting in various rows.

My personal assessment is that the last 1/3 of the tram is bumpier. Other than thst, I don’t feel there is much difference in the other seats compared to the front 2 rows. How bumpy it is really depends more on which bumps your driver hits than where you are seated.

The ride is considerably less bumpy than it used to be. The reason is the change in the storyline which removed a high speed section to try to ‘catch’ some poachers.

Since there is only spot someone who needs to stay in their wheelchair can sit, we have ridden in the very front many, many times. The wheelchair is securely strapped down and she has a seatbelt, but she still bounces a lot during the ride.
I have also ridden without her multiple times, where I was sitting in various rows.

My personal assessment is that the last 1/3 of the tram is bumpier. Other than thst, I don’t feel there is much difference in the other seats compared to the front 2 rows. How bumpy it is really depends more on which bumps your driver hits than where you are seated.

The ride is considerably less bumpy than it used to be. The reason is the change in the storyline which removed a high speed section to try to ‘catch’ some poachers.

Thank you so much! I think I'll give this one a try. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter