WDW questions

Paulakoala

Mouseketeer
Hello, everyone. Total newb when it comes to WDW, we have only ever gone to DL. I'd like to surprise my family at Christmas with a Florida trip for sometime next year, but I have no idea when is best, nor when I should book. I have been poking round and reading but all the info out there is overwhelming!

If I were looking at spring 2020 - a year from now - when would I be able to book?

They release the next years prices for packages in June sometime. If you want a room only reservation, 499 days in advance.

I like to book directly through Disney, then as a discount is offered, I phone Disney and they will apply the discount. Have fun planning!

WDW is great, but just keep in mind that there can be potentially a lot more planning involved compared to DLR, so make sure you do your homework. Dining reservations open at 180 days, and you have to book your fastpasses ahead of time, which takes away the spontaneity (and also makes it more difficult to change park plans on the fly). MaxPass blows FP+ out of the water. Definitely a different experience from DLR, but both are great.

Very helpful, thank you both. :)

I was trying sample dates on the Disney site and could only get as far as January 2020 - any further dates were greyed out. And I could only access part of January, as an end date for a trip started in Dec.

I will keep researching and see what opens up in June. :)

One thing I've come to learn is going around Easter is a big no-no. It's right up there for crowds with other holidays.

End of April/beginning of May seems to be a safe time to go, based on my research.

One thing I've come to learn is going around Easter is a big no-no. It's right up there for crowds with other holidays.

End of April/beginning of May seems to be a safe time to go, based on my research.
But if you're stuck going at March Break, it can be done with a good plan. I use Touring Plans to create my plans. They also have the Unofficial Guide books. While this site and others are great, you might also want to pick up a book (or ebook) to help you with your planning.

One thing I always try, not always successfully, is to encourage first-timers to manage their expectations. Yes, it's exciting and you'll have done your planning, and you'll be ready to go and see and do it all. Except you won't. Disney World is a whole different beast than Disneyland. A whole different scale, really. It's really just about too big for a single visit, unless you're into the "Disney Death March" style of touring. On your first visit, you'll learn a lot about what works and what doesn't. Especially what doesn't. It's important to enjoy the moment without stressing about the things that go wrong for you. Even 10x visitors don't nail everything every time, trust me. I don't think it's even possible to have a flawless vacation there. After our first trip, once we were on the plane home, DW and I were discussing what we'd do differently next time and we've had some amazing "next times" since then. Oh, and I don't believe "less busy times" even exist anymore. We were there in mid-January and there were some incredible wait times for most of the attractions at one time or another during our week.

Very helpful, thank you both. :)

I was trying sample dates on the Disney site and could only get as far as January 2020 - any further dates were greyed out. And I could only access part of January, as an end date for a trip started in Dec.

I will keep researching and see what opens up in June. :)
I think you have to phone Disney to book a room only at this point. I’ve run into the same thing when I have tried pricing for the next year.

I'd add in, while sit down table service is a wonderful break in the day, it can cause stress in terms of timing, having to end a hotel break early to get back to wherever for a meal can be stressful. My friends went last April and the husband found it annoying to have to stop swimming, round up the kids, and get everyone to dinner on time. That said, it is fun to do character meals, but maybe plan for breakfast or before leaving the park for an afternoon break? I know for my upcoming trip, we are only doing one sit down meal this time. Either way though, have fun!

I think you have to phone Disney to book a room only at this point. I’ve run into the same thing when I have tried pricing for the next year.

Yes, from 499 days out until they release the dates for online booking, you have to call Disney or book through a TA to book a room only reservation. The rate will be the current year rate and they will adjust the rate up or down as appropriate when the new (actual) rates are released.

Once they release the dates for the year they can then also be booked online.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter