WDW or DL with little kids?

Tanner208

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My wife and I have decided to take our kids (7, 4, 2) on a Disney vacation but we are unsure if we should do another DL trip or if we should try something new and do WDW or a Disney Cruise.

I took my two older kids to DL back in 2014 and it was a great experience for us and the kids. My wife and I love Disney and we don't get to do these trips very often but I was looking for other parents with little ones to see if WDW is just too much for them right now and if I should stick with DL until the kids get a little older. We have no idea what to expect with WDW and so I'm just looking for some direction as to where the best places to research WDW are at so I can determine if WDW is right for us.

Thank you.

I'm a very big fan of www especially magic kingdom and animal kingdom for younger kids. We just went on our first Disney cruise and we liked it but our favorite part of the trio was the two days before the cruise that we did at wdw!

As someone that has done all of the options - multiple times - I will give you my perspective.

For our family, WDW is a short plane ride versus DL. Plus there is no time difference. For us, WDW is a pretty regular trip while DL is more of a unique trip. Given the age of your kids, I would consider what is the ‘easy flight’.

If you are in a spot where it’s basically the same distance, I would say if you are looking at a shorter trip - I would recommend DL. With 3 or 4 days, you can do it all at DL. It’s great with kids your age. The parks are compact and you can plan quickly and easily.

If you are looking to spend 5 - 7 days (or more), I would suggest WDW. There is a lot more to see and do.

Finally, DCL is great after your youngest turns 3. I am guessing you would want all your kiddos to enjoy the kids club. DCL is a super relaxing vacation option. If relaxation is your priority (versus doing rides), then DCL is the way to go. I love the cruise but I am also a ride person - so we alternate. Also, if planning and crowds freak you out - I say do the cruises.

Having done both with young kids, DL was hands-down more relaxing, and that's even with having taken two kids (2.5 and 7.5) there myself compared to being at WDW with my spouse and grandparents. A short walk to an affordable hotel, easy hopping, everything so close together - heaven compared to WDW. On the other hand, WDW offers a wider set of experiences. I liked using DL's FP (especially with MaxPass option) MUCH more than WDW's FP+.
WDW is a much shorter, cheaper flight for us, although the lower ticket prices and more affordable-but-still-super-convenient hotels end up covering most of the extra airfare cost. WDW will probably remain my primary park (heading there soon!) especially for quick "got that Disney itch" trips, but I ***loved*** DL and will definitely find a way to return soon.

If sounds like DL is more convenient for OP. I'd say stick with DL until the kids are a little older/tall enough for some of the WDW-only experiences.

If you want info about WDW with kids, I like the Easy Guide and the website run by Dave Shute, one of its authors (the URL can't be posted).

As someone that has done all of the options - multiple times - I will give you my perspective.

For our family, WDW is a short plane ride versus DL. Plus there is no time difference. For us, WDW is a pretty regular trip while DL is more of a unique trip. Given the age of your kids, I would consider what is the ‘easy flight’.

If you are in a spot where it’s basically the same distance, I would say if you are looking at a shorter trip - I would recommend DL. With 3 or 4 days, you can do it all at DL. It’s great with kids your age. The parks are compact and you can plan quickly and easily.

If you are looking to spend 5 - 7 days (or more), I would suggest WDW. There is a lot more to see and do.

Finally, DCL is great after your youngest turns 3. I am guessing you would want all your kiddos to enjoy the kids club. DCL is a super relaxing vacation option. If relaxation is your priority (versus doing rides), then DCL is the way to go. I love the cruise but I am also a ride person - so we alternate. Also, if planning and crowds freak you out - I say do the cruises.

Thank you for your perspective. This was very helpful.

Having done both with young kids, DL was hands-down more relaxing, and that's even with having taken two kids (2.5 and 7.5) there myself compared to being at WDW with my spouse and grandparents.

Thats funny... we were just thinking about "what if we bring help [grandparents] for the kids" to go to WDW. We really want to experience WDW but I think we will end up just going back to DL again. We live closer to DL but its still going to cost us about the same.

A short walk to an affordable hotel, easy hopping, everything so close together - heaven compared to WDW. On the other hand, WDW offers a wider set of experiences. I liked using DL's FP (especially with MaxPass option) MUCH more than WDW's FP+.
WDW is a much shorter, cheaper flight for us, although the lower ticket prices and more affordable-but-still-super-convenient hotels end up covering most of the extra airfare cost. WDW will probably remain my primary park (heading there soon!) especially for quick "got that Disney itch" trips, but I ***loved*** DL and will definitely find a way to return soon.

If sounds like DL is more convenient for OP. I'd say stick with DL until the kids are a little older/tall enough for some of the WDW-only experiences.

If you want info about WDW with kids, I like the Easy Guide and the website run by Dave Shute, one of its authors (the URL can't be posted).

Thanks for the advice.

I would wait until your little one turns 3 before you cruise so that you can utilize the kids club. That leaves either the world or land. Im guessing your two year old will probably need a stroller and need to go back to the hotel for naps, therefore the easier option is by far Disneyland. Although fun, Disneyworld is so inconvenient in terms of transportation. You waste so much time on the buses trying to get anywhere, and I can imagine lugging a stroller on the buses would also be a pain. I would wait until your youngest is older to tackle Disneyworld.

Agree with the others. As someone that's done all 3, recommend the cruise after your littlest one turns 3. That being said...DL and WDW are completely different experiences. We're located in CA, so DL is a short drive for us and much more relaxed. WDW ends up being much more expensive, as we need to fly across the state. However I think WDW has much more to offer. 4 distinct theme parks (not including the water parks), and Disney Springs is much more massive than downtown disney at DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter