WDW for teens??

Is Hollywood to babyish for tweens?

I don't think so. Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, Slinky Dog Dash, Star Tours and at night there is Fantasmic and fireworks. That is just some of what there is for teens

One of the things my almost 12yo daughter loves about WDW is being able to be a kid without being judged by peers. She can wear her Mickey ears, princess dress, etc. without concern of what others think. It's kind of sad that at that age there is already the pressure to not be childlike.
I want to add that our trips have evolved from princess-centric to them being more centered around attractions, food, entertainment, and cast-member interactions, but our visits are still wonderful.

One of the things my almost 12yo daughter loves about WDW is being able to be a kid without being judged by peers. She can wear her Mickey ears, princess dress, etc. without concern of what others think. It's kind of sad that at that age there is already the pressure to not be childlike.
I want to add that our trips have evolved from princess-centric to them being more centered around attractions, food, entertainment, and cast-member interactions, but our visits are still wonderful.

Oh that peer pressure! My DGD had a friend who had never been to WDW, and after while she would tease my DGD about being Babyish for likening DIsney. She had just turned 10 when she finally decided she did not care what her friends thought, but for about a year, oh dear! I think it was about a year that she wanted to anywhere else but WDW and then figured out the kid was jealous.

Families grows... and things change... just embrace it. ( just wait till they get married, and then you have grandkids...so much fun )

I would suggest that you ask them what they would like to see or do. Maybe a behind the scene tour, there are quite a few that they might enjoy.

Water Parks, pool days, mini golf, Fort wilderness activities.

Head to Disney Springs, balloon ride, dine in movies/or regular movies, bowling, check out all the music and entertain options in the evening.

You could do a day or two at Universal, and Island of Adventure.

Head over to Coco Beach for a beach day and hit up Ron Jon Surf shop our friends just did this before heading out on their cruise, and the grand-kids just loved it. They got shirts and board shorts, that were 'way cool".

Cape Canaveral great way to spend the day.

I think personal space really starts to play into the picture around this age. So maybe a family suite so they don't have to share a bed, and everyone can kind of spread out. This worked really great for us when we would have both DD's. Having a extra bathroom with teenager is a plus, that child you could not get to brush their hair, or could have cared less about matching clothes.... now is spending hours in front of the mirror and getting dressed... girls and boys alike.

We also like TS service with them, it would give us a chance to eat as a family... and listen to them... You can find out alot of stuff about your kids when your eating dinner and they are distracted with food... they will just talk and talk... Plus it's a teaching moment for them and they don't realize it, trying new foods, manners, ordering, even paying the bill. We taught our DD's about paying the bill, tipping and how to read the bill and handle if the bill is not correct... They thought it was cool to do it, they were both nervous at first but after they practiced a few times it built their confidence up.

You could let them be part of the planning, maybe each one planing a full day they are the leader that day from start to finish, but on there day they have to be in charge. Let each one pick out somewhere in the world showcase to eat that is a bit different than your normal go to spots. I suggest a meal that has some type of entertainment, Teppan Edo, or in Germany with the band, Coral reef with the aquarium was/is a family favorite. Sci-fi at DHS is another one the DD's loved, they could not believe that when we were kids we had actually went to the Drive Inn to see movies...

Be on the hunt for hidden Mickey's ... or some other kind of scavenger hunt....

Like many have said before me, it's just as much fun with teens, it's just a different kind of trip. Our son(now 13) has been to Disney World several times. He loves to travel, we've gone on numerous cruises, big city and beach vacations, but he is always most excited about the Disney trip, no matter his age. On our last trip when he was 12, and as we plan our next trip, where he will be just turning 14, he has the best time looking over all of the changes to the park since our last trip, deciding what rides, restaurants and activities he thinks we will enjoy the most and watching youtube videos and reading Disboards to research everything. It makes him feel involved, he's often more up to date on changes and hidden tips/tricks than I am:) and even now, is looking forward to the trip. I think the biggest thing is that we let him be involved in planning, offer lots of choices and flexibility, and like someone said above - the Disney "bubble" is a pretty good place to try out that extra independence that kids want/need as they grow older - so that all adds up to a magical trip for all of us.

DD16 has been going since she was three and still loves it. And she honestly doesn't care what the plans are for the day--she's just happy to be there. DS13 doesn't care at all, but seems to have fun when we're there. He was never Disney-crazy though. DS7 is still young enough to LOVE it. I hope he doesn't lose that attitude.

For sure I think most teens would enjoy Disney just as much as anyone. Maybe I'm different than most but would have loved Disney at that age. I never had the opportunity to go until I was 19.

I suppose it depends on the kid, but mine still love it. My oldest is now an adult living on her own and she is THRILLED about our upcoming trip (she hasn't gone in a few years). But this is the same kid who skipped along holding Merida's hand at 15 and selected all her outfits for subtle Disney-bounding on her last trip at 17.

My DS 12 stayed out late at MK with me multiple nights during our last trip enjoying the rides in Fantasyland, eating snacks, and holding my hand.

My middle DD is not as into the "being a kid" aspect of Disney, but she loves being able to have some freedom to wander on her own, relaxing at the resort, snacking through F&W Festival, hanging out in some of the lounges with us, etc.

our kids have grown up in Disney and I can honestly say there is NO age group that can't enjoy it. I wouldn't worry! There is something for everyone. If you have a group with a variety of age groups my recommendation is break up at points so people can do what is more appropriate. When we went with grandparents and teens and younger ones, we would split for awhile and then meet up at points that way older kids could ride higher intensity rides, younger kids could do kiddy rides and grandparents could sit and watch, etc.

We went this past January with DS13. He LOVED the trip. As a parent, it was so nice to not have to ride every.single.ride with him. At one point he went on his own to to Test Track countless times. It was nice to linger over a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine) with another adult while he went to do a ride that was a once-and-done for the adults. One he turned 13 he also became a more adventurous eater so it was nice to enjoy something other than burgers and pizza during meals. I was also surprised that he was disappointed that we did not do a character meal with Mickey! Goes to show you never know unless you ask. As soon as we got home he told me he could not wait to go back to check out Toy Story Land and that he wants to do Disney in December, Disneyland for Halloween and go on another Disney Cruise!

As previous posters have noted it's about your individual children' personalities.
Some will be ecstatic to be at Disney as teens, others not.
DGD is about finished with Mickey and his crew and she'll be 13 this month. One of her uncles would have prolly been happy still at the age of 18.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter