WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound dumb but can you please tell me what standby time means?? I think no matter what the system is great personally. I have never been to Disney (yet) but I will say not so many places accommodate disabilities like this so I'm grateful for whatever they will give. I actually read the article that's mentioned previously and I recall it saying that people would "rent" disabled people basically so they could ride the rides faster...it's why I've been so scared of the whole DAS system in my trip planning.

I have a question about getting a return DAS time. Do you have to go to the intended ride or is there places I can go to like GS or FP+ booth to get one assigned?

I have a question about getting a return DAS time. Do you have to go to the intended ride or is there places I can go to like GS or FP+ booth to get one assigned?

As of today I believe you still have to go to the intended ride to get a return time. That is how it worked last month but I am hoping that changes now that the kiosks are in place.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So you feel someone with a DAS should be able to hold 6 times at once?

You can't get regular tickets anymore. So no one can go get regular tickets. Everyone uses FP+. So any guest entering after an attraction is 'sold out' for the day is out of luck. I would count yourself lucky that you can get attractions such as TSM even when sold out for the day. You could easily schedule 3 other attractions using FP+ then immediately get a TSM DAS time when you enter the park and then do the other attractions while waiting for your TSM time.

I'm really not seeing your issue TBH. If pre booking is that important then at any time in the last 7months you could have booked a single night on site and gotten bands for everyone and had the ability to prebook FP+. It was that important to us so that's what we did. At this point there really isn't much benefit to do that for you since AP MBs/advance booking will be rolling out soon.

We've had the new DAS since it rolled out and this has always been the way it was setup from day 1. It actually works extremely well and me saying this is pretty big since I was completely freaked about how YDD would deal without instant access and the ability to loop rides.

I don't understand why this simple statement has caused everyone so much confusion.... I'm not trying to beat any system.. Its just fact.. You walk into the park you go to guest relations and you get your picture taken and you get your Disability card. then you proceed to your first ride... you hand it to the cast member and checks the standy time and writes down a time that is 10 minutes less then then the posted standby time.. that is your return time. You come back at that time and go thru the FP line to enter... Simple... we did this over and over again just a week ago in Disney World... that's the procedure. You cannot go to another ride and request another time for that ride on your card... Your only allowed one ride at a time... Simple... With FP you are allowed three at a time... Simple We have no Magic Bands.. no special resort perks... just walk in and get your Disability Card and picture taken. get your card signed and wait for your return time... and if your not in the park early, then you don't have the chance to go get a FP for the more popualr rides like Toy Story... simple.... Just stating the way it works now... They may change it in the future... who knows...

I don't understand why this simple statement has caused everyone so much confusion.... I'm not trying to beat any system.. Its just fact.. You walk into the park you go to guest relations and you get your picture taken and you get your Disability card. then you proceed to your first ride... you hand it to the cast member and checks the standy time and writes down a time that is 10 minutes less then then the posted standby time.. that is your return time. You come back at that time and go thru the FP line to enter... Simple... we did this over and over again just a week ago in Disney World... that's the procedure. You cannot go to another ride and request another time for that ride on your card... Your only allowed one ride at a time... Simple... With FP you are allowed three at a time... Simple We have no Magic Bands.. no special resort perks... just walk in and get your Disability Card and picture taken. get your card signed and wait for your return time... and if your not in the park early, then you don't have the chance to go get a FP for the more popualr rides like Toy Story... simple.... Just stating the way it works now... They may change it in the future... who knows...
So it's not the disability accommodation you have a problem with but the difference in treatment of people staying on site as opposed to off site. Because (again using your term) a regular person who is staying off site would enter the park and go to their ride and stand in the stand by line because they also wouldn't have access to fp+. So how are you being treated any different than any other person not staying on site?

I see you don't understand that there is no longer any FP system. No paper tickets. Every person who enters the park has to either prebook FP+ or book it when they arrive. Yes I know you went last week so you should already know this fact.

So you saying you should be able to book 3 rides when you arrive is why everyone is confused. You CAN book 3 rides when you arrive. You just have to use FP+. In fact with a DAS you can book 4 rides when you get there. I suggest learning how to use and maximize the FP+ system. It is a wonderful tool for locals. (You said you go every week so guessing you are local)

And every week you shouldn't need to get a new DAS, for an AP holder it is every 2 weeks.

Ds had his das renewed today. The cm gave us the old card back. She also gave him a starter attraction right on the das. She took the standby minus 10 minutes for the starter ride. That worked out very well to get it right there at GS.

Every guest has FP+ available to them. Just go to a FP+kiosk and set up the times for up to 3 FP+. If you are a resort guest you can scedule this up to 60 days in advance. If you are offsite, you can schedule it the same day at a kiosk.

Ds had his das renewed today. The cm gave us the old card back. She also gave him a starter attraction right on the das. She took the standby minus 10 minutes for the starter ride. That worked out very well to get it right there at GS.

Oh that is awesome!!! Getting that first attraction at guest services will be a nice time saver!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Eh, I could be wrong but I think maybe wording has people tripped up about what you were intending to say. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you were simply in the beginning trying to explain your experience in how it works, correct? :confused3 I think I get what your saying though. TY for your comments it helped me understand somewhat how it works. This is all new to me, so it helps to learn from others experiences.

This is where I think you are confusing people. Do you, or do you not know that YOU DON'T NEED MB TO GET FP+. Non resort guests now use their tickets at kiosks set up aroung the park to make up to 3 "Day of" FP+ selections. You can use this AS WELL as DAS. Its not just one or the other. YOU CAN DO BOTH.

Guests with a disability card cannot schedule more then one ride in advance. Once you have your card filled out by a cast member for a particular ride, you cannot go and have it filled out for another ride. Yes, of course you can go and get a regular FP ticket if they are available to you. but it depends when you enter the park. Say for instance, Toy Story has none available so, we could not get one.. I'm not arguing the point here... I just lived thru it last week... I know the system and have used the old system for 10 years and now dealing with the new setup. All I'm saying is, you should be able to get your card signed three times, just like you are able to get three FP for any regular guest. Having someone with a disability and trying to deal with all this is a difficult task. Unfortunately a few bad seeds ruined for the majority.

DAS isn't FastPass. Don't confuse or commingle the two simply because both sets of guests use the same attraction entrance. The DAS is simply the most reasonable accommodation for guests who can't medically wait in a crowded line.

Yes, you can have just one DAS return time at a time.
FastPassPlus holders can three per day.
DAS holders can also get those same three FastPasses - up to 60 days in advance if staying onsite, or that day.
FastPassPlus holders can't just also simply get a DAS.
Once a DAS holder rides the attraction, they can get another return time for the same attraction.
FastPassPlus users must choose three different attractions.
DAS holders can use them in any/all parks in a single day.
FastPassPlus users are limited to a single park.

There's no more "legacy" FastPass. It sounds like, despite being there just last week, you're unaware of the options open to you.

The following is off topic from DAS, but pertains to some of what was stated recently:

According to the DIS Unplugged podcast this week, they are rolling out MDE and FP+ to AP holders. You can reserve up to 7 days over a 60 day period. After you use each day, another will be added for you to make new reservations. This prevents AP holders from booking FP+ for weeks at a time. So, AP holders will soon not have to wait until they arrive to make FP+ reservations.

It hasn't caused us confusion; you seem to be confused by the replies. You SHOULD schedule your FP+ times AND THEN work in the ride(s) you want ONE AT A TIME thereby giving you access to MANY MORE than 3 through the FP lines throughout the day- as opposed to those without DAS who get access through FP lines for ONLY 3 period! It's a 'sucky' system but it's all we have to work with now.

Just a thought: too bad the DAS isn't valid as long as our annual pass. Most disabilities requiring a DAS are not temporary. Seems as if it is a way to discourage people from getting them.

Goofy47- you should really take heed of the advice given in reply to your post. Guests with a DAS get, in effect, FP access for all the attractions- albeit one at a time - PLUS 3 FP+.

goofy47 said:
the cast member and checks the standy time and writes down a time that is 10 minutes less then then the posted standby time.. that is your return time. You come back at that time and go thru the FP line to enter... Simple... we did this over and over again just a week ago in Disney World...
With FP you are allowed three at a time

No. Three per day, period. Compare that to your personal experience of obtaining a single DAS return at a time - but with your complete ability to get a DAS return time over and over again on a single day.

If you have not read the DAS FAQs in post one of this thread, I would recommend reading it.
It should answer most of your questions.
There have been VERY FEW minor tweaks of the DAS program/process since it rolled out. It works pretty much the same now as it did at the start.
Not to sound dumb but can you please tell me what standby time means?? I think no matter what the system is great personally. I have never been to Disney (yet) but I will say not so many places accommodate disabilities like this so I'm grateful for whatever they will give. I actually read the article that's mentioned previously and I recall it saying that people would "rent" disabled people basically so they could ride the rides faster...it's why I've been so scared of the whole DAS system in my trip planning.
The Standby line is just the waiting line. It is where guests who are not using Fastpass Plus or a DAS card are waiting.

You can use smartphone app called My Disney Experience to get an estimate on the current wait in the Standby line.
At this point at WDW, you do need to go to the attraction to get a DAS Return Time.
But, the person whose picture is on the DAS does NOT have to go there to get a DAS Return Time. Someone else can take the card there to get a
DAS isn't FastPass. Don't confuse or commingle the two simply because both sets of guests use the same attraction entrance. The DAS is simply the most reasonable accommodation for guests who can't medically wait in a crowded line.

Yes, you can have just one DAS return time at a time.
FastPassPlus holders can three per day.
DAS holders can also get those same three FastPasses - up to 60 days in advance if staying onsite, or that day.
FastPassPlus holders can't just also simply get a DAS.
Once a DAS holder rides the attraction, they can get another return time for the same attraction.
FastPassPlus users must choose three different attractions.
DAS holders can use them in any/all parks in a single day.
FastPassPlus users are limited to a single park.

There's no more "legacy" FastPass. It sounds like, despite being there just last week, you're unaware of the options open to you.
Very good summary :thumbsup2
Just a thought: too bad the DAS isn't valid as long as our annual pass. Most disabilities requiring a DAS are not temporary. Seems as if it is a way to discourage people from getting them.

Goofy47- you should really take heed of the advice given in reply to your post. Guests with a DAS get, in effect, FP access for all the attractions- albeit one at a time - PLUS 3 FP+.
I think (just my opinion) that at some point in the future, they might 'attach' DAS to the Annual Passand/or Magicband.
Before they do that though, they have to have readers that can read the information at all attractions.

The following is off topic from DAS, but pertains to some of what was stated recently:

According to the DIS Unplugged podcast this week, they are rolling out MDE and FP+ to AP holders. You can reserve up to 7 days over a 60 day period. After you use each day, another will be added for you to make new reservations. This prevents AP holders from booking FP+ for weeks at a time. So, AP holders will soon not have to wait until they arrive to make FP+ reservations.

I believe this has been in effect for some time.

To the OP, we are in WDW now, and have an AP. We are not tech savvy, and do not own a smartphone. We elected not to get the magic bands even though they were waiting for us when we checked in. They advised us not to connect our APs to our room card because if we lost our room card, it has our name on it and could be a security problem. Our APs only have our first name on them. If you are staying at WDW, or if you have APs, just join into My Disney Experience. (MDE) You will have no trouble getting FP reservations, if you wish to plan ahead. If you are not so much into planning, and just want to wing it, just go to the FP kiosks when you are in the park. They can make or change any reservations you might have. To be honest with you, the park is not busy now, and we have not used each of our FPs. We have only used our DAS 3 times in 14 days.

You cannot go to another ride and request another time for that ride on your card... Your only allowed one ride at a time... Simple... With FP you are allowed three at a time...
The DAS waiting time that's written on the card is the equivalent of waiting in the line stand-by for that amount of time. You cannot wait in two lines at the same time stand-by and you cannot have two DAS times at the same time. You can only virtually be in one line at the same time.

Fastpass is a different system with different rules. It can be used in conjunction with DAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter