WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to add, that I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY wish they had waited to make this change until after FP+ was fully implemented. It would have eased a lot of anxiety for many of us.

Just wanted to add, that I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY wish they had waited to make this change until after FP+ was fully implemented. It would have eased a lot of anxiety for many of us.

I just need to ask because I having a hard time understanding why waiting will help people. Their not turning back from fast pass plus their going full steam ahead. So what vendor to Disney would it be to wait if they delay either people will panic. That their something wrong if they delay both. Fast pass plus is basically implemented already jus waiting for a few more resorts to come online. So could you please tell me why waiting for fast pass plus that you make reservation before you get to Disney will help a system that will be done while your at the park.

Until FP+ is implemented for offsite AP holders, could you take this time to check out a bunch of the less popular attractions? We've found that we enjoy many of the non-headliners/attractions that rarely have any wait just as much if not more in some cases than the headliners. Open yourselves up to more things around the parks. You'll be back again once you have FP+. Also, if you head to the parks significantly earlier or you wait until late at night then you'll find that wait times are drastically lower and you might not need any kind of accommodation.

I just need to ask because I having a hard time understanding why waiting will help people. Their not turning back from fast pass plus their going full steam ahead. So what vendor to Disney would it be to wait if they delay either people will panic. That their something wrong if they delay both. Fast pass plus is basically implemented already jus waiting for a few more resorts to come online. So could you please tell me why waiting for fast pass plus that you make reservation before you get to Disney will help a system that will be done while your at the park.

In the past with a GAC she was able to use an alternate entrance to avoid backtracking involved with collecting FPs. This does not seem to be an option with the new DAS. With FP+ she would be able to book her attractions so no need for excess walking or waiting around on a DAS after shlepping over to an attraction to get one.

FP+ is NOT implemented for offsite guests. As a local, she's an offsite guest. With the implementation of the new DAS she's losing her current method of being able to get onto a mere few attractions per park visit but the new method that will most likely work for her (FP+) won't be in effect until a later date making many of the attractions unattainable for her. I agree that it would have been nice if FP+ was fully rolled out before this change. It's not though so we're all trying to work together to figure out how to make it work.

It would help, because FP+ will work for many to avoid even needing the DAS pass, but there are a lot that this wouldn't help. But given that, it would help the transition ease through a bit better.

For my family, having the ability to schedule a few FP+ would allow us to rehearse the day with our son. Our son does well on a schedule. When the schedule is deviated from, we has screaming, kicking, jumping, flapping.

First Rockin Roller Coaster, then TOT, then Ice Cream. For at least 5 years this has been his DHS schedule. With the old GAC we were able to rehearse his schedule.

When FP + is fully implemented, we will be able to rehearse this schedule.

At the present time we can not rehearse a schedule because we are going in Mid October, our resort does not have FP+ and we can not change resorts.

If the DAS means coming back for TOT in an hour, we may have a problem. I am hoping for the best, but I still wish we qualified for FP +.:sad2:

For my family, having the ability to schedule a few FP+ would allow us to rehearse the day with our son. Our son does well on a schedule. When the schedule is deviated from, we has screaming, kicking, jumping, flapping.

First Rockin Roller Coaster, then TOT, then Ice Cream. For at least 5 years this has been his DHS schedule. With the old GAC we were able to rehearse his schedule.

When FP + is fully implemented, we will be able to rehearse this schedule.

At the present time we can not rehearse a schedule because we are going in Mid October, our resort does not have FP+ and we can not change resorts.

If the DAS means coming back for TOT in an hour, we may have a problem. I am hoping for the best, but I still wish we qualified for FP +.:sad2:

Sorry now I get it

Which resort you staying at

Be care fully some fast pass plus has short time to next appointment. Some I made have 25 min In between when one expire and one new. Yes they give you three options but some my be for later and some earlier so it my not work out. I hope that they increase the limit to more then three or be able to park hop

For example I going to Dhs and picked toy story mania for 9-10 then my next one is muppets 1015-1115 then another one at 1140. So yes if you get their right at 9 you have a 115 to your next one I just giving this to you so you be prepared not all are that close I could of picked afternoon but wanted you story first just in case I decide not to do the others that won't get canceled.

And the next day I go to Epcot and 950-1050 for one 1125-1225 for the other and 1235-135 for the last so closer together.

I have been talking to my mom about the new DAS and she's not upset and says we'll just take it as it comes. I'm hoping for her knee that they will have some kind of pass to skip stairs in the few rides and stadium shows that still have them.

I don't trust the thought of speaking to the attractions CM's, I don't think it will matter how much training they give the CMs there will be the same mix of answers depending on who's got what opinion and what kind of mood they are in, so I figure that if we fall into the category that has to rely on a attraction CM to accommodate us we'll just have to wing it and see how it works out either way.

I will be keeping notes and names and providing feedback good or bad. I'm actually in support of changing the system and I think feedback is critical to making a better working system. I know I'd be more willing to listen to customers if they at least tried the new system in good faith and were fair and balanced in their comments.

This article is pretty interesting. http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/

I think the reason they had to activate DAS first is that so many people were using the old GAC system. It's not even that people were abusing the system.
I think that until they got the new DAS system going, they were never going to be able to have an accurate line count, for anyone. DAS or non-DAS user.

... I have heart and lung problems, as well as a walking and standing disability. ... I can't use a wheelchair because he can't push me nor me him. ...

Actually, it sounds like possibly you could both benefit from a wheelchair. Push it (empty) when you are walking, have a seat available when standing gets to be too much. Let it carry your bags or whatever. The two of you can trade off. A manual wheelchair is $12 to rent at the parks, or you could probably purchase a low cost one...after 10 visits or so it's paid for itself. If you go that often, and it sounds like you probably do, that would be cost-efficient and help both of you.

Just a suggestion. I hope you find a way to continue enjoying WDW!

Thank your for the replies directly to my post. As I stated, we have been successfully using the GAC 1-2 times/year for the last 7 years. I am fully aware that I will need to tell the CM what accommodations will be needed. I was making generalizations about my daughter only for my above post.

We have loved the commitment that Disney has made to providing magical vacations and memories to those with disabilities in general and my daughter (and the rest of my family) specifically. I do feel that they still have that commitment.

However, the fact that call center cast members do not have accurate information on the new system, but are speaking as if what they are saying is gospel is unacceptable. It makes no difference if they have been to the parks or not. With this specifically, Disney has done a horrible job educating and training their front-line people. The outgoing message needed to be consistent, even if it was "we dont have specific information about this important plan that we are implementing in 10 days and may fully ruin your $3000 vacation."

The inconsistent information given and radio silence over the last 10 days, however, has just increased the FUD. In this day/age of 24 hour, instantaneous news and the internet, Disney should have planned better or responded more quickly (and not with the useless letter from Meg Crofton).

My biggest concern actually is going to be the amount of time spent at Guest Services to even get the DAC. In the past it was very simple. From what I have been reading (again FUD b/c it has not rolled out yet), I suspect that will no longer be the case. Since we will be on the Dream from 10/10 - 10/13, we won't know what has happened over the previous 4 days until we are on our way to WDW from Port Canaveral.

I agree that the call center CMs should know more in order to provide better answers, but honestly, they often give incorrect info when it comes to disabilities, well before the DAS was announced.

Also, I too dread going to Guest Relations to get a DAS - here in DL there are 2 places you can get one, and that is it. And from what I hear so far, there has been no time limit announced for AP people - we may have to go back every day! (that will change fast - I think they will come up with a short amount of time, I would think no longer than a week or so, so discourage abuse, but shorten their line). WDW is different though, so they should handle it all much better.

I have a question. My main disability is mostly mobility related but a wheelchair is not a solution alone for me. I will have a wheelchair, but will likely need a DAS too. When requesting a DAS, will I simply be able to say that due to disability, I need an alternative place to wait where possible, and will that be enough, or will they want to know "why"? I am worried that my condition on the surface being a mobility issue is going to work against me...

This article is pretty interesting. ...

I think the reason they had to activate DAS first is that so many people were using the old GAC system. It's not even that people were abusing the system.

I rarely if ever saw someone who appeared to be abusing the system.

I have a question. My main disability is mostly mobility related but a wheelchair is not a solution alone for me. I will have a wheelchair, but will likely need a DAS too. When requesting a DAS, will I simply be able to say that due to disability, I need an alternative place to wait where possible, and will that be enough, or will they want to know "why"? I am worried that my condition on the surface being a mobility issue is going to work against me...

Yes, they will want to know "why" to a point. They will not ask your disability is, and they do not hand out cards based on diagnosis. If you tell them exactly what you just told us, they will want to know why a wheelchair or any other mobility device is not helpful. They ask what your concerns are when touring a line, and saying "I cannot stand in a line" is the what but not the why.

They want to know why, because many people have misconceptions about what the system will provide for them (many people think it means they skip lines or will be provided with a place to sit in the line). So, I would be prepared to explain why your disability prevents you from not only waiting in lines, but why a wheelchair will not help you.

Yes, they will want to know "why" to a point. They will not ask your disability is, and they do not hand out cards based on diagnosis. If you tell them exactly what you just told us, they will want to know why a wheelchair or any other mobility device is not helpful. They ask what your concerns are when touring a line, and saying "I cannot stand in a line" is the what but not the why.

They want to know why, because many people have misconceptions about what the system will provide for them (many people think it means they skip lines or will be provided with a place to sit in the line). So, I would be prepared to explain why your disability prevents you from not only waiting in lines, but why a wheelchair will not help you.

Thanks, good to know...Along with my disabilities I also have social anxiety, so while knowing what to say to a stranger is fine, when people ask questions etc I can get a little panicky. I will maybe make a list of my needs to make it easier for myself. :)

Most of us have had our training for this new card. I had mine a few days ago.
The point of it is to make it so you are virtually waiting in line.

Have they been doing any training for access for disabilities that aren't covered under the new card?

I rarely if ever saw someone who appeared to be abusing the system.

Except for those pesky people who were selling their services. And the ones selling GACs on Ebay. And the parenting boards where there were openly telling each other what to say in order to get one.

Aside from those people, the majority were legit uses, and it was simply an overabundance of legitimate GAC users.

Thanks, good to know...Along with my disabilities I also have social anxiety, so while knowing what to say to a stranger is fine, when people ask questions etc I can get a little panicky. I will maybe make a list of my needs to make it easier for myself. :)

This brings up a good point. It is perfectly acceptable to write a letter yourself to give to a Cast Member, explaining your needs. I did this the first time I got a GAC, since I have too have social phobias and I have problems asking authority figures for things. I have been to Disneyland literally over 500 times, but I still get nervous in these situations. I also have severe ADHD that makes me just never shut up and I end up flustered and off-topic... which leaves me with a very confused CM.

Please note, I am not talking about a note from a doctor or therapist or other medical professional. I am talking about a note you wrote yourself.

I am now working on a post about writing a note yourself, and I will post it on both DAS threads, as well as adding it to the "suggestions" post in the beginning of the thread.

This brings up a good point. It is perfectly acceptable to write a letter yourself to give to a Cast Member, explaining your needs. I did this the first time I got a GAC, since I have too have social phobias and I have problems asking authority figures for things. I have been to Disneyland literally over 500 times, but I still get nervous in these situations. I also have severe ADHD that makes me just never shut up and I end up flustered and off-topic... which leaves me with a very confused CM.

Please note, I am not talking about a note from a doctor or therapist or other medical professional. I am talking about a note you wrote yourself.

I am now working on a post about writing a note yourself, and I will post it on both DAS threads, as well as adding it to the "suggestions" post in the beginning of the thread.

Last rumour I heard is that an attempt at a full roll-out of FP+ is being targeted for some time in late November so not too far away. That doesn't help you in the short time between now and then but at least in the near future that'll be an option.

Didn't I read that all AP holders are being mailed magic bands? Maybe you have to register it with MDE to get it? I haven't been paying much attention to MDE and FP+ stuff since it's subject to a lot of change before my next trip and I don't want to overwhelm myself. If nothing else, I'd get the AP registered in MDE and see if it gives the option. Some people are able to book them though I can't seem to find any info about patterns behind who can and who can't.
Right now only guests who are at a resort that is part of the Fastpass + trial are able to use Fastpass Plus.

When the program rolls out, I do know that Annual Passholders will be getting Magicbands. Last Spring, we traded our APs for RFID enabled cards. The place to trade them in was just for AP holders and was at the Odyssey in Epcot.
They had displays of Magicbands and CMs stationed there to explain all about them.
We are going to WDW soon and staying at OKW, which is one of the Magicbands testing resorts. We have already gotten our Magicband. We have not linked our AP vouchers to the Magicbands yet, but the website will allow us to.
This article is pretty interesting. http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/

I think that until they got the new DAS system going, they were never going to be able to have an accurate line count, for anyone. DAS or non-DAS user.
I read that article and really thought it has a lot of truth in it.
The are just too many people that are not able to be accounted for with GAS.
With DAS, they will have a much better count of who needs extra assistance and where they are going to be when.
I agree that the call center CMs should know more in order to provide better answers, but honestly, they often give incorrect info when it comes to disabilities, well before the DAS was announced.

Also, I too dread going to Guest Relations to get a DAS - here in DL there are 2 places you can get one, and that is it. And from what I hear so far, there has been no time limit announced for AP people - we may have to go back every day! (that will change fast - I think they will come up with a short amount of time, I would think no longer than a week or so, so discourage abuse, but shorten their line). WDW is different though, so they should handle it all much better.
I have very good confirmation that guests with Annual Passes will need a new DAS card every day if they are local guests.
Annual Passholders who are not local would be able to get a longer time limit if they have proof of length of stay ( like a resort key that shows their length of stay).

As others have posted, you need to be a lot explain what you need that just having a wheelchair won't provide.
Have they been doing any training for access for disabilities that aren't covered under the new card?
I have heard from attraction CMs that they are getting a 90 minute training course that covers the basics of DAS, how it relates to the attraction they work at, handing guests with disabilities and accommodations at their attraction.

And, I have also heard of people writing a note to help them sort of stay on track talking to the CMs at Guest Relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter