WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard how this will affect "child swap" for those can't be transferred or left alone while the rest of the family rides?
DD isn't able to ride any of the rides that require a transfer from a wheelchair but DH and I ride pretty much everything. With the GAC DH would go through the standby or single rider line then when he came off the ride the CM would have me go through the FP line using DDs GAC. We don't mind waiting in lines, we just don't want to have to do the standby line twice for each of those rides.

Has anyone heard how this will affect "child swap" for those can't be transferred or left alone while the rest of the family rides?
DD isn't able to ride any of the rides that require a transfer from a wheelchair but DH and I ride pretty much everything. With the GAC DH would go through the standby or single rider line then when he came off the ride the CM would have me go through the FP line using DDs GAC. We don't mind waiting in lines, we just don't want to have to do the standby line twice for each of those rides.

With the DAS, it would have your DD picture so I am not sure how either one of you could use it. Could you use the single rider line or get fastpasses?

You won't be able to use the DAS for things your DD is no going to be riding on. So, for those, you will need to either wait in the standby line or get Fastpasses.
If you get Fastpasses, you can get a Fastpass with your DD's park ticket, even if she can't ride.

You will still be able to use rider swap.

To be honest I can only remember 2 of the rides with single rider lines but that's a good suggestion so I guess finding which rides have them will be going on my "to do" list. Has FP been added to all of the rides since the FP+ testing started?

Edited to ask... How does the rider swap work compared to the way we swapped in the past?

Thanks for the responses!

Hi!

I just wanted to jump in to share that we are heading to WDW on October 10th. DD4 has Autism and mild cerebral palsy, as well as a host of other conditions that don't really affect the need for a GAC/DAS, including being 99% tube fed. We had a GAC on her one previous trip at 2.5yo, but we were also travelling with DS20 who also has Autism, BPD and social anxiety disorder.

We're hoping to have a DAS and a "stroller as wheelchair" tag to give her her "safe spot" in her stroller to wait it out away from the line of people in close proximity :crowded:, but also due to her coordination, balance, and mobility issues, and quick fatigue.

I'll be sure to report back when we get home - or from the parks if I can manage. I'm nervous about how things will work, but I'm, predicting possibly a shorter day for us with fewer attractions. We'll have to wait and see! I'm trying to be optimistic about it and hope for the best!

Obviously having the GAC in the past helped my kiddos be able to experience the park for more than just an hour or two of meltdowns at a time....but it also helped me. I'm too sensitive to others reactions to us. When my son would meltdown and start flailing out in line, hitting the people around him because he didn't like "that smell" or because "that boy is looking at me" we'd get nasty looks from all around. When we waited in line at IASW and were slowly shuffling along inches from strangers on every side and DS decided he was fascinated by the papery, dry skin on the elderly man in front of him...and bent down to pick it off of his ankle....I was horrified! The GAC was almost never a walk on, FOTL pass for us, as some people suggest. (Maybe it's because we usually went at busy times?) But it did provide us with a shorter wait, which meant less time for DS to melt down. More often than that, it provided us a place to wait for the ride where people saw the pass and knew to hold their judgments. Maybe they were a little more understanding; a little more patient.
:grouphug:
Right now I'm worried about having to explain to CMs at every kiosk or attraction that we are NOT just a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag, but that we also have a DAS due to her other issues (primarily, Autism related.) I'm guessing they're going to be nervous about the whole thing since they'll have just had training, and I heard that some head-honchos will be visiting the parks on our first park day (10/11) to see how things are working out.
:scared:

To be honest I can only remember 2 of the rides with single rider lines but that's a good suggestion so I guess finding which rides have them will be going on my "to do" list. Has FP been added to all of the rides since the FP+ testing started?

Edited to ask... How does the rider swap work compared to the way we swapped in the past?

Thanks for the responses!

Everything you want to know about Rider Swap https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

Our experience with this is mostly at Disneyland, but typically, it's similar to what you described except that the first ride is under normal waiting conditions, ie, a standby line or a Fastpass. You ask a cast member at the front of the line for a rider swap, the first person goes on the ride and then the second person goes on, typically through the FP line. You are allowed to bring someone with you with the ride swap pass. So depending on your traveling party, there might be someone who gets to ride an extra time.

...Right now I'm worried about having to explain to CMs at every kiosk or attraction that we are NOT just a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag, but that we also have a DAS due to her other issues (primarily, Autism related.) ...

While in the past the strollertag went hand-in-hand with a GAC (you had to have the GAC with the stroller tag), my understanding is the DAS will NOT be issued for the stroller tag. The stroller tag will stand on it's own. So the fact that you also will have a DAS should not be construed to be directly related to the stroller tag but for the other needs.

Enjoy your vacation!

Our experience with this is mostly at Disneyland, but typically, it's similar to what you described except that the first ride is under normal waiting conditions, ie, a standby line or a Fastpass. You ask a cast member at the front of the line for a rider swap, the first person goes on the ride and then the second person goes on, typically through the FP line. You are allowed to bring someone with you with the ride swap pass. So depending on your traveling party, there might be someone who gets to ride an extra time.

Thanks so much. It takes a lot of extra planning for our trips with DD and information like this can really make an impact on the short amount of time that we get to spend in the parks every day.

The GAC has allowed us to be seated in the handicapped section of shows and the Philharmagic. Any idea how the new DAS would work for that?
If you are issued a DAS, it would put you in the same place as when you were using the GAC.

If you are not using DAS, what was the accommodation you got with the GAC?
Was it the waiting space at Philharmagic that you needed or what was it about the handicapped section of shows that you needed?

For my DD it's the alternate waiting area that made the show possible. I don't see how the DAS as described (return time means nothing to us since we generally time it so that we're in the next show just by walking in the regular queue so this is the exact type of scenario we typically use DD's GAC for) will put us in the same place as when using the GAC. My DD can not handle those unstructured waiting areas where everybody is in one big mob being told to crowd forward. There aren't enough of us to create a barrier around her so waiting in the wheelchair waiting area was the only way to wait while providing her the space she needs.

We are going to be at WDW MK on the 9th. I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Our DD has wheelchair and other issues requiring the card / waiting in line.

I have several question for those who have been so informative in this thread so far.

We have never had problems getting a GAC. (It's pretty obvious on first sight that our daughter has disability.) Is there going to be more scrutiny for issuing the DAS cards?

Will she be considered a "wheelchair" guest? Or will DAS card needs be taken into account?

Will the disabled guest need to be present to obtain the Return Time or just present when we return? In other words, can we send a runner to get the time? Will all the CM's at all attractions be informed of a standard policy for this?

I hope the cast members have clear guidance and rules to follow for each ride -- I think that will make it much less stressful for them and guests.

Just a note:
I think that some guests may see DAS card holders coming back at their return time and think they are getting "front of the line" access -- if they don't understand the "return time" system.

Also -- the return time pass was used at Space Mountain at WDW in the past -- a couple years ago. It worked well for us.

... Our DD has wheelchair and other issues requiring the card / waiting in line. ...

It sounds like your DD has multiple needs, the wheelchair being only one of those. Therefore, you will want to speak to Guest Relations regarding her other needs and whether a DAS is appropriate.

... We have never had problems getting a GAC. (It's pretty obvious on first sight that our daughter has disability.) Is there going to be more scrutiny for issuing the DAS cards? ...

Be prepared to clearly explain ALL her needs. This may or may not require more discussion than in the past, depends on how quickly such interactions occurred previously. I know some posters say "I just showed my old GAC and got a new one." While my own experience has involved discussion each time. If her "invisible" needs aren't all that obvious, I'd definitely expect to be required to explain more detail.

... Will she be considered a "wheelchair" guest? Or will DAS card needs be taken into account? ...

As to being a "wheelchair guest" vs DAS -- I think again that depends on her needs and possibly even the specific attraction. If you think she can handle the standby queue at certain rides, then she's simply a "wheelchair guest" and would follow the accessible entrance instructions. If the standby queue is not appropriate, you'll need to use the DAS. Hopefully CMs will be aware that many people have both mobility issues as well as "invisible" needs, that should be part of the new training.

... Will the disabled guest need to be present to obtain the Return Time or just present when we return? In other words, can we send a runner to get the time? ...

My understanding is the DAS guest does not need to be present when the Return Time is put on the card, but must be present when returning to ride. This would allow mom or dad or someone else to get the Return Time noted on the DAS while your DD is busy elsewhere.

... Will all the CM's at all attractions be informed of a standard policy for this? ...
... I hope the cast members have clear guidance and rules to follow for each ride -- I think that will make it much less stressful for them and guests. ..

Again, presumably CMs will be adequately trained. Only time will tell, and unfortunately for you, your trip is right as this rolls out so you'll have to report back and let the rest of us know whether it works smoothly or not.

Enjoy your vacation!

The last time we where at Disney world our daughter was 5. We used a stroller as a wheelchair and a GAC. I spoke with the CM my hubby stood with daughter to the side and she came up to the counter at the end.

On this trip she will be 9 although she looks to be about 12. I have read in other threads where the CM will question the child directly. For example at a sit down restaurant a CM might directly question a child as to their age before allowing the child to order off of the children's menu.

We have never sat down with our daughter and told her she has Autism. She knows she had aids and tutors when other children at school did not. She knows her brain functions differently. When she had a tutor assist with peer play interactions we learned very quickly that and Autism diagnosis can be very stigmatizing. I guess I am fearful of explaining her needs and then her being directly questioned about having Autism. I know we do not need to give diagnosis, but needs. I am just confused and thinking it would be better to not even get her a DAS, but then I know sensory wise in the lines she will be miserable.

As she is older this trip will she have to explain what her needs are in order to get a DAS?

We are going to be at WDW MK on the 9th. I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Our DD has wheelchair and other issues requiring the card / waiting in line.

I have several question for those who have been so informative in this thread so far.

We have never had problems getting a GAC. (It's pretty obvious on first sight that our daughter has disability.) Is there going to be more scrutiny for issuing the DAS cards?

Will she be considered a "wheelchair" guest? Or will DAS card needs be taken into account?

Will the disabled guest need to be present to obtain the Return Time or just present when we return? In other words, can we send a runner to get the time? Will all the CM's at all attractions be informed of a standard policy for this?

I hope the cast members have clear guidance and rules to follow for each ride -- I think that will make it much less stressful for them and guests.

Just a note:
I think that some guests may see DAS card holders coming back at their return time and think they are getting "front of the line" access -- if they don't understand the "return time" system.

Also -- the return time pass was used at Space Mountain at WDW in the past -- a couple years ago. It worked well for us.

There isn't going to be more scrutiny...they are going to ask what your needs are and take it from there.

As I mentioned before my daughter has been training the CMs on the new policies and they are trying to anticipate each need that might occur...as you can imagine that is going to be very difficult. I know the first full week of this she is scheduled to assist when situations arise that they don't quite have figured out. I would not expect everything to be 100% smooth sailing the first day to be honest but I do know she has been working on this for about three weeks now in various capacities and the CMs don't want to make it difficult for you either.

I believe that anyone can be the "runner" for the times...it's just when it is time to ride/view/whatever the guest whose name/picture is on the card needs to be participating in the attraction.

Liz

Unfortunately I am often in the parks alone so will have no runner. This will mean I need to use more of my power just to go get the times, hope they coordinate with the interpreted schedule and pray I don't run out of battery before the day is over.

Can anyone explain how this will work with FP+? I don't mind getting the FP+ but my problem is 'running' or making it timely on occasion. I have arthritis and a dystrophic hip which occasionally 'goes out' and then I hobble missing the time window. That's why I first got a GAC because sometimes I could make the FP time window and sometimes I couldn't. Also, how will this work if with FP+ we can get 3 FP, but I assume we can get a DA card/return time for all attractions so we don't have to run or stand hunched over in line? THIS is TOO CONFUSING! And even though ADA doesn't require a doctor statement, I carry a notarized one because the issues aren't always visible- but when they are acting up, I look like a crooked, crippled old lady : (

Unfortunately I am often in the parks alone so will have no runner. This will mean I need to use more of my power just to go get the times, hope they coordinate with the interpreted schedule and pray I don't run out of battery before the day is over.

I cannot guarantee anything in Florida, but I can tell you here that I have asked for a Return Pass at Radiator Spring Racers (the one that works like the DAS system will) that works around an interpreted event. Like you, I am often in the parks solo, so I have to wheel myself around to get these passes.

They have always worked with me when I say that my park touring is restricted by the Interpreters Schedule. I usually go to Racers before an interpreted event on that side of the park, and if the return time they are giving out will not work, I just explain I need to be at a certain show because that is the only time all week it is interpreted, and can I please have a time for after that show would end.

I have never had a problem. They may not let you on immediately if it is an E-ticket ride, but asking to go a later is usually not a problem. I just tell them that I/my group has multiple disabilities within it, so we need to work together to pull it off.

I have also discovered they pretty much give me whatever I want if I am signing while speaking. Not all attractions people know what I mean when I say "I am restricted by the interpreters schedule" but they do know what I mean when I am signing when I say it.

Sorry, long answer, but short version is that at least in Disneyland, I have never had a problem with them working Return Times around the interpreter schedule, especially if you know what you are asking for (i.e. what time you would be able to enter the ride).

Also something they MAY do (this is speculation), but if they are handing out DAS passes for shows like FOTLK or other interpreted shows, you may be able to get a DAS card Return Time for the show you MUST attend (ask them in the morning, even if the interpreted show is in the afternoon - they may be able to use the new system to help with that).

While in the past the strollertag went hand-in-hand with a GAC (you had to have the GAC with the stroller tag), my understanding is the DAS will NOT be issued for the stroller tag. The stroller tag will stand on it's own. So the fact that you also will have a DAS should not be construed to be directly related to the stroller tag but for the other needs.

Enjoy your vacation!
Yes.
That is correct from everything I have read/been told.
Children whose only need is mobility/ to have the stroller in line will just get the stroller tag.
Children who have additional needs that are not met by having the stroller in line would get a stroller and a GAC.
For my DD it's the alternate waiting area that made the show possible. I don't see how the DAS as described (return time means nothing to us since we generally time it so that we're in the next show just by walking in the regular queue so this is the exact type of scenario we typically use DD's GAC for) will put us in the same place as when using the GAC. My DD can not handle those unstructured waiting areas where everybody is in one big mob being told to crowd forward. There aren't enough of us to create a barrier around her so waiting in the wheelchair waiting area was the only way to wait while providing her the space she needs.
We have had the same experience at some of those attractions.....
The wait is for the event show.

My family will be using those waiting areas at any rate because DD uses a wheelchair. But, the extra space was also helpful for her invisible needs, the same as for your DD.

It has not been confirmed whether all attractions will have DAS. It's possible that some of those with fairly consistent short waits may not be included in DAS or may only be included during busy times. If they don't use DAS for those, I don't know what the mechanism will be for people with invisible needs to get access to those areas.
It sounds like your DD has multiple needs, the wheelchair being only one of those. Therefore, you will want to speak to Guest Relations regarding her other needs and whether a DAS is appropriate.

Be prepared to clearly explain ALL her needs. This may or may not require more discussion than in the past, depends on how quickly such interactions occurred previously. I know some posters say "I just showed my old GAC and got a new one." While my own experience has involved discussion each time. If her "invisible" needs aren't all that obvious, I'd definitely expect to be required to explain more detail.
I agree.
Our experience also usually involved some discussion each time, not just showing the old card and them giving a new card.
As to being a "wheelchair guest" vs DAS -- I think again that depends on her needs and possibly even the specific attraction. If you think she can handle the standby queue at certain rides, then she's simply a "wheelchair guest" and would follow the accessible entrance instructions. If the standby queue is not appropriate, you'll need to use the DAS. Hopefully CMs will be aware that many people have both mobility issues as well as "invisible" needs, that should be part of the new training.
A lot of people, us included, did not use DD's GAC on each attraction. For those, she was just a "wheelchair guest". I don't think that will work the same with DAS as it did with GACs.

I know that Disney parks have a lot of experience dealing with guests who have both mobility and invisible needs, so I am sure that won't suddenly change when the program changes.
My understanding is the DAS guest does not need to be present when the Return Time is put on the card, but must be present when returning to ride. This would allow mom or dad or someone else to get the Return Time noted on the DAS while your DD is busy elsewhere.

Again, presumably CMs will be adequately trained. Only time will tell, and unfortunately for you, your trip is right as this rolls out so you'll have to report back and let the rest of us know whether it works smoothly or not.

Enjoy your vacation!
The rumors are that the person with the DAS does not need to be present to get a Return Time, but does need to be to ride. That rumor is very likely true.
There isn't going to be more scrutiny...they are going to ask what your needs are and take it from there.

As I mentioned before my daughter has been training the CMs on the new policies and they are trying to anticipate each need that might occur...as you can imagine that is going to be very difficult. I know the first full week of this she is scheduled to assist when situations arise that they don't quite have figured out. I would not expect everything to be 100% smooth sailing the first day to be honest but I do know she has been working on this for about three weeks now in various capacities and the CMs don't want to make it difficult for you either.

I believe that anyone can be the "runner" for the times...it's just when it is time to ride/view/whatever the guest whose name/picture is on the card needs to be participating in the attraction.

Liz
i hope the process rolls out well and guests are patient. :goodvibes

Can anyone explain how this will work with FP+? I don't mind getting the FP+ but my problem is 'running' or making it timely on occasion. I have arthritis and a dystrophic hip which occasionally 'goes out' and then I hobble missing the time window. That's why I first got a GAC because sometimes I could make the FP time window and sometimes I couldn't. Also, how will this work if with FP+ we can get 3 FP, but I assume we can get a DA card/return time for all attractions so we don't have to run or stand hunched over in line? THIS is TOO CONFUSING! And even though ADA doesn't require a doctor statement, I carry a notarized one because the issues aren't always visible- but when they are acting up, I look like a crooked, crippled old lady : (
There's not information at this time whether all attractions will have Fastpass + or not when it is actually rolled out ( as of October 2013, it is still in testing phase).

We also don't know for sure whether all attractions will have DAS or not.

For those that have both, a DAS holder could choose whether to get a Fastpass/Fastpass + or use the DAS.
Fastpass/Fastpass + would need to be used under the rules for that program! which includes a 'window' of time it needs to be used in.
Rumors are that DAS return times won't expire.

We'll be at WDW 10/13 and 10/14 after a 3 day cruise on the Disney Dream. We got our Magic Bands in the mail today, but from what I was told, we have to go to our resort first to get them activated before we can use them. We then will need to go to City Hall @MK to figure out what to do about the DAC. I'm hoping that by that day and time, the expected line and confusion will have thinned out.

We have Fastpass+ already picked for 3 attractions on each of our 2 days and will still get regular FP from what I've read here (i.e. double-dipping). I'm used to using a Touring Plan, but with all these changes happening at once, my head is spinning on how I'm going to handle this. So much for a relaxing, stress-free vacation.

My DD12 is in a wheelchair but has other, global disabilities including being non-verbal and g-tube fed. This profoundly affects how we can tour the park. I have received three different responses from the 3 cast members I spoke with on the phone over the last 36 hours. My questions/concerns were particular to the DAC but more specifically to the fact that she is in a wheelchair, but that is not her only disability. The fact that none of them can give me a consistent answer is frightening at best.

My other concern is the $2500+ that I spent last year on new, still unused, 10 day NE PH tickets for the 5 of us. If Disney is no longer a viable option due to these changes, will they allow me a refund on these unused tickets?

Disney has been so good to us over the last 7 years (going 1-2x/year). I agree that something needed to be done. However, this "plan" is clearly not it. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!