WDW and Arthritis

Lilacq

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I am planning our first trip to WDW in October. I'm looking forward to going on the rides with my 2 boys, ages 5 and 7. I have arthritis in my lumbar spine, though, and don't want to ruin our trip with a flare-up. Can anyone tell me which rides run smoothly and which ones are too jerky?
Also, sometimes if I have to do a lot of standing, I need a cane to take pressure off my back. Does WDW rent canes if I find I need one in the middle of the day? Or are there rails in the waiting areas where I can "cheat" a little? I don't want to spend my vacation on a bench!
Thank you! :wave2:

Lilacq said:
Hi all,
I am planning our first trip to WDW in October. I'm looking forward to going on the rides with my 2 boys, ages 5 and 7. I have arthritis in my lumbar spine, though, and don't want to ruin our trip with a flare-up. Can anyone tell me which rides run smoothly and which ones are too jerky?

WDW has some attractions that have "warnings" for anyone with high blood pressure, pregnancy, back or neck problems. The warnings are listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park (there is a link to get an online version of the Guidebooks in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, located near the top of the board.
Many (but not all) of the attractions with warnings are are turbulent or jerky. They are marked with a little red triangle icon on the park maps and also with signs where you enter the attraction queue and before boarding.

Are there any specific ones you are interested in? If you can list them, you will get people's answers about how jerky they think they are.
Also, sometimes if I have to do a lot of standing, I need a cane to take pressure off my back. Does WDW rent canes if I find I need one in the middle of the day? Or are there rails in the waiting areas where I can "cheat" a little? I don't want to spend my vacation on a bench!
Thank you! :wave2:
No, they don't rent canes, so if you might need one, you need to bring it in with you. It migh be possible to store it at First Aid, but that could mean a long walk/detour over to First Aid if you need it later.
Some of the attractions have rails, some have chains to separate the waiting lines.
If you are able to get to the parks early, you can often find very short waits in line (many people sleep in on their vacations). The CMs at the Information Boards (marked with a blue i on the park maps) are helpful about letting you know which attractions you might be able to get onto without a wait.
You might also want to look into renting an ECV (also called mobility scooter) if you are concerned about doing a lot of walking/standing.

Having a 5 year old with you might be a good idea for renting a stroller. Then if you have a cane you can store it (and a lot of other things) in the stroller.

BTW, please choose a color of type other than the light blue. Some of us have vision problems and it is extremely difficult to read. Black really is best.

I would suggest that if you do not already have a collapsable folding cane, invest in one. They are lightweight and will fit into a backpack.
I carry one in my backpack every day for work, due to arthritic knees and ankles. It is a wonderful solution if it is only needed occasionally. My trip in '94 was with my DSis, she is actually worse off for arthritic legs than I am. She rented a wheelchair for Epcot and managed the rest without much difficulty with rest stops when needed etc. At that time, my situation wasn't so bad so I had no trouble.
I am going soon - DD(4)'s first trip and since having DD(4) my arthritis has really flared. I am taking my medication with me so I hope that will be enough. Although I am sure I will keep my cane handy for Epcot, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter