• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW after Cancer and Chemo

knoxt

It Whispers... So Listen
I was wondering if anyone has been to WDW after being diagnosed with Cancer and undergoing Chemo? I also wondering if you had any special tips, as I know I will tire easily!
THANKS for any advice!!!:goodvibes

my mother went with us while during her chemo. she just needed to rest more than us. she also wore a hat and lots of sunscreen. just take your time

My wife was going through her chemo treatment when we had our family reunion in 2000. She did just fine. We made sure to take our time and not try to do too much in any one day and we also made sure to allow plenty of afternoon time for rest and naps. Sunscreen and protective clothing (especially a shady hat) were essential too.

We very seriously considered not going, but she made the decision to go, mostly because it was a long-planned family reunion. When it was all over, she (and all of us) were glad she went because the trip really brightened up her life.

BTW - her schedule for chemo worked out perfectly, she didn't need to have a treatment while there. We worried that we might have to have a treatment there and had started to look into how to do that. Our docs here mentioned some clinics there that we might have gone to, but, as I said, the schedule worked out that we didn't need to do that.

As an aside. On our last night there, we wanted to take one last trip to the Magic Kingdom but everyone was too worn out, so she and I went over to ride the mountains one last time and watch the fireworks. It's a great memory!

We went 12/27/02-1/4/03 with my mom who had just finished her last chemo treatment a week before we left and started radiation 2 weeks after we returned home. She had a great trip, despite the fact that we were there during the most crowded time of the year. We went a little slower than we normally would and scheduled more sit-down meals than normal (mostly since it was New Year's week so we wanted to be sure that she wouldn't have to wait in long lines to eat if we didn't have a PS) and that worked great. During the chemo she had been slightly averse to certain foods, so we looked at all the menus online before booking our PSs, which was a big help so that we didn't have to worry about getting to a restaurant and finding that she didn't like the menu options (she's normally a very adventurous eater so this was something we had never thought of in the past but proved to be helpful). Also, we carried some light snacks with us in case she got nauseous, but never really needed them (she was very lucky throughout treatment and was rarely ill. One difference my mom noticed was that she felt nauseous after riding the thrill rides, and they were always her favorite. She thought maybe it was that the chemo was still strong in her system, but we went back in 10/03 and she had been finished with chemo for 10 months and radiation for 7 months and she still felt sick after thrill rides. She is taking Arimidex though so that might be the cause too.

One other thing to take into consideration is that my mom had to get daily injections for a week during one chemo cycle because her blood cell count was too low, so just be sure to ask about that and what the dr's policy is on vacationing during that time since my mom was supposed to stay within reasonable driving distance of her dr during that cycle. Her count was fine after the shots and never dipped back down during the rest of the treatment so I'm not sure how frequently that occurs, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

Have a great trip--our New Year's trip was my mom's favorite since she got to celebrate finishing her chemo and being able to go to WDW!

I don't have any input for you (sounds like others have had some great tips) but I wanted to send you lots of pixie dust anyway.

Allie

My fiance was undergoing chemo when we went to the World in Nov and Dec of 2002. His doctor told him that he could do whatever he felt he had strength enough to do. Basically, we took breaks whenever he felt he needed to, and he ALWAYS wore a hat and was very careful about staying in the direct sun.
Luckily the trip fell during a break in his chemo, he was going like 6 weeks on, 1 week off at the time...and for the Dec trip, the doctor just re-arranged the schedule a bit so he wouldn't miss any crucial treatments while we were away.
Also, someone mentioned about foods...definitely check out menus before ordering, I know my DF's stomach was not as iron-clad during chemo as it is now! lol He definitely avoided some normal Disney snacks and drinks...
All in all, we had a wonderful time, I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip too!

I went about seven months after my chemo. Had my hair back, but I still stayed out of the sun as much as I could since FL sun is so strong.

We really wanted to go and take the kids, 6 & 7 at the time, because they had to miss so much while I was having surgery and chemo. I felt fine, but boy did I not take into account how exhausted I would be! I thought since it was months later, and I wasn't feeling that tired anymore, I'd be fine at WDW. But those park days are brutal.

Take all the good advice given so far, and take frequent breaks. Maybe get PS's for lunch and have a long restful meal. If you go slow, you'll be fine. And a trip to WDW will do wonders for you soul!

I always tell others cancer is EXTREMELY painful - 10% of which is physical. If you can go and have fun and not think about your treatments - life is good!

Best wishes!

I don't have any advice to give but I am finishing my chemo treatments tomorrow after a long 10 months and have my WDW vacation planned for next month. (exactly a month later) I'm feeling a little better about it after reading these posts. No matter how tired I get it will be wonderful to be in such a great place! The disability board has some great tips too! HOpe you have a great trip. Enjoy!

we went 3 months after my last chemo treatment... i was 25 at the time and i thought i did really well.. i did feel alittle tired at the end of the day, but so did everyone else!!! i did all the rides that we usally do, so that means everything!!!
hope you have a great time!!! we are heading out in october for our first dvc stay... and i just went through a double mastecomy at the end of feb!!! you just have to have a positive attitude and you will be fine!!!!

kristin

:wave2:

my uncle completed his chemo and went to WDW about 4 mos. later. He is 72 and in good shape, but he did get tired very, very easily. He ended up renting one of those ECVs. It made a world of difference for him. He didn't feel like he was missing out. He also avoided the sun when possible...

I think there is info about the ECVs on the disabilities board.

Knoxt -

Last year, I went to WDW 1 month following major surgery BEFORE chemo - then I went to WDW alone with my 4 yo son 5 months into my chemo (I had one month to go)...(I HAD to get away to my "happy place" or I just knew I wouldn't make it thru my last treatments!)...I was bald as a cueball - wore a ballcap with a little tag on the back that said "Chemo Sucks"...NoOne even seemed to notice (well, except for one incredibly rude woman at the AKL pool - but that's another story entirely!). I was a little tired....but not so tired that I couldn't do most everything I wanted to do.... It's a great place to forget that you have cancer!!

One note - If you are going to go while on Chemo - or very shortly thereafter - then you will want to make sure that your blood counts are okay - close to normal ---as you will not want to be in a place with hundreds of thousands of people if your immune system is temporarily out of order! Your oncologist should be able to predict the effects of the chemo on your bloodcounts to some extent, so ask....

I also went to WDW one month after chemo for an "I've finished my treatments celebration" - and I would have to say that I was almost my normal self energy-wise at that point (still bald)- but at least my appetite and taste buds were back to normal (It was the Food and WIne Fest. after all!) (Can you tell I like WDW?) About the food - you might want to see how the chemo affects you nausea/cravings -wise before making your PS ----- and if you can only eat chocolate milkshakes ;) (or any other particular thing)then call Disney dining and ask to speak to the chefs of the restaurants your family wants to eat at - I'm sure they will be more than happy to accomodate you!!!!

Good Luck & Pixie dust (for all of us!:D )
Jill

We have the nicest people here at the DIS, don't we? I'm sitting here smiling at all the wonderful, helpful answers. :)

It's so nice to know those of you with experience can make such a difference by sharing with us. I just needed to say 'Thank you', and wish every one of you good health and magical vacations.

Disney World is my favorite place to go to forget about cancer! You've gotten great advice, I can't add any more except to sprinkle you with pixie dust! :wizard: I know you'll have a wonderful time!:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter