WDW Accessible Room Location Thread - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, we just change our ressies to AKL. Due to an accident a few months ago, that left me with a gimp arm, I've requested a HA room. I would prefer to have a roll in shower for safety as I can't grab for anything if I start to wobble. Does anyone know where these are located. My ressie's for a standard view (the only type available)

DH and I were in a HA room at the WL, #1143 had a king bed and roll in shower. I don't know how that happened, I didn't request a HA room for us. I did request for mom, but not this same trip or resort, but I did enjoy not having to step up into a tub, I felt safer in the shower. I have a tendency to fall in the tub (only at home so far).

Suzanne princess:

HI, we just change our ressies to AKL. Due to an accident a few months ago, that left me with a gimp arm, I've requested a HA room. I would prefer to have a roll in shower for safety as I can't grab for anything if I start to wobble. Does anyone know where these are located. My ressie's for a standard view (the only type available)
They are in various places.
There are 2 types of accessible rooms. One type has a tub with grab bars. The other type is fully accessible with roll in showers. They should have called Special Reservations to block a room for you. If you don't know what type of room they booked for you, you can check with Special Reservations - the number is in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (if you booked with a travel agent, you will need to have the travel agent check for you).
anyone got a map or has stayed in the dedicated fully accessable rooms at SSR
What size of room?
We gave stayed in fully accessible 1 bedroom villas 4 times. They were all lock offs. I think (but am not sure) that all of the 1 bedrooms are lock offs and that they are scattered to be in all the buildings. I don't remember the room numbers, but we have stayed in The Springs twice (actually in the same room) and also in 2 different buildings in Congress Park.

I just wanted to say, thanks for everyone for keeping this thread up. I started it, and fully intended to continue to update the first post, but life just gets in the way. Even though hubby still uses an ECV in the parks, we no longer need a fully accessible room because he can now get in and out of tubs just fine since his knee replacement. We have decided that 1st floor rooms are our main objective as dealing with elevators is a pain with the ECV, and we can usually get that with just a regular room request through CRO. Also after our Free Dining trip at POP in just 9 days, all of our future trips will be at Fort Wilderness in our new T@B camper :-)

anyone got a map or has stayed in the dedicated fully accessable rooms at SSR

I've stayed in fuly accessible 1bedrooms in the Springs and Grandstand sections. (I'll be in a dedicated 2bedroom and studio in a couple weeks.)

My Springs room was 3525 and located in the direct center of the building where the elevators are. I was ground level. My view was of the lake/pond between the two buildings there. I saw swans floating by every morning.

The room had a roll-in shower with flipdown bench. With the 1bedrooms you also get a separate 2nd sink area outside next to the spa tub. The beds are a decent 20" height rather than the high 26". You do lose the breakfast counter space though they do include the chairs. I have no idea why. You also don't have that window between the spa and bed, it's a solid wall.

We parked my dad's ECV in the living room by the lock-off connecting door and my powerchair against the jacuzzi wall for overnight charging.

My Grandstand room was 8125, in the same location of the building as my Springs room. Pretty much a mirror image. My view was of a small courtyard, the golf course and the resort in the distance. I saw a lot of ducks and even had one join me for breakfast one morning. He just walked up to me from the courtyard.

Grandstand is the first stop on the bus route so it was easier for traveling with two powered devices. We always had empty busses.

Here's a resort map so you can see where we were. I have a feeling we'll be on a higher floor for the 2bedroom.

SSRmap_enhanced.jpg

Hello, we are renting a ECV and are wondering what rooms at CBR are accessible? Thanks! Rose

If you only need space to put the ECV, you can get any room as long as it's first floor. Just go ahead and request first floor on medical reasons (speak to special reservations)

If you need more than that (rails, rollinshower); ask about that also. Room 3107 is a room with roll in, in North Trinidad.

We just got back from the Poly
Rapa Nua
1125- roll in shower- grab bars etc. full acc.
2 queen beds
we had moms wheel chair & walker in her room & there was plenty of room to walk around
Connecting w/ our room
This had a tub shower w/ grab bars
Super huge bathrooms in both rooms

Theese rooms were on the 1st floor the last 2 rooms at the far end of the long house- really close to the TTC

Anyone have any more info on AKL, both savannah vew rooms and concierge? If I read correctly, those rooms are big enough to fit 3 adults, even when needing a roll in shower, is that correct? How about the beds?

Anyone have any more info on AKL, both savannah vew rooms and concierge? If I read correctly, those rooms are big enough to fit 3 adults, even when needing a roll in shower, is that correct? How about the beds?

We are staying at AKL next month in a HC accessible room with a roll-in shower, standard view. I understand there are 2 queen beds, but not sure.

Suzanne

Thnx for the reply Suzanne. :) I was getting the run around about it "begin 2 queens" and "no, its a king and pull out". Didn't like it very much, because I had my heart set on the AKL. So yesterday, I decided to call the AKL itself. I had to talk to 3 different persons before getting somebody that could help me, but I finally got the answer!

The handicapped accessible rooms at AKL are both a king and roll out AND 2 queens. Just like with the views you can put a request in for either, and with special requests actually blocking a room when you book, you should be able to know what you get right then and there. When I explained it was for medical reasons that a roll out wouldn't do in our case (all three of us got reumatoid diseases and sleeping on a roll out would aggrevate the pain), I was put at ease. No problem, just make sure they know about that and as long as it's still available SR will get you the 2 queen beds room.

We are starting to plan our next trip and I wanted to know the bed sizes in the CL rooms with a roll in shower, what type of views do they have etc... Anyone have any favorite resorts for a HA Concierge room???? We are trying to narrow down where to stay based on what the best place for us will be.
It will be me my DH and my DD who is 21 years old and needs the roll in shower. I would appreciate any advice or opinions.

We just returned from SSR & POP.:) Sorry, no photos.

At SSR room 8325 is a one bedroom in the Grandstand area, almost across from the elevator (absolutely quiet), with wide doors, grab rails in the bathroom (around commode, tub, some wall area), commode, sink and a traditional tub/with shower. Room was in excellent condition and housekeeping did a fantastic job with VIP cleaning, including carpets. Two wide doors to the bathroom, one from living room and king bed in bedroom. Large balcony, overlooking quiet courtyard, DTD hotels in distance.

The pull out couch is a queen, hard as cement! Housekeeping did bring egg crates asap, which helped (need these anyway).

This room location was very close to the first bus stop, so first on and off to/from parks. It was reasonably close to check-in,food court etc., but quite dark to walk alone at night and a small hill/turn could be a bit difficult in a wheelchair, but doable. Very close to a quiet pool, just around the corner.

I moved alone to POP due for a short extended stay (thanks to the Tropical Storm).

POP room 5470, king bed, fully accessible, roll in shower, 4th floor, 60's building facing Hippy Dippy Pool. There was a large icon semi blocking light from the window, but it was dark from the storm anyway.

This room was in pretty good condition considering the wear and tear POP rooms get. No time for VIP cleaning as I booked and checked-in same day, but housekeeping did come to change all bedding within an hour and did clean the bathroom again with disinfectant. Also brought the egg crates and did a very nice job carefully making up the bed - very kind housekeeper. The room does need a new air fliter as it had a stong funky order.

Wish I had photos, but forgot a camera this trip. :confused3

At SSR room 8325 is a one bedroom in the Grandstand area, almost across from the elevator (absolutely quiet), wheelchair accessible with wide doors, grab rails in the bathroom (around commode, tub, some wall area), but a regular tub/ with hand held shower. Room was in excellent condition and housekeeping did a fantastic job with VIP cleaning, including carpets. Two wide doors to the bathroom, one from living room and king bed in bedroom. Large balcony, overlooking quiet courtyard, DTD hotels in distance.

The pull out couch is a queen, hard as cement! Housekeeping did bring egg crates asap, which did help.

This room location was very close to the first bus stop, so first on and off to/from parks. It was reasonably close to check-in,food court etc., but quite dark to walk alone at night and a small hill/turn could be a bit difficult in a wheelchair, but doable. Very close to a quiet pool, just around the corner.

I moved alone to POP due for a short extended stay (thanks to the Tropical Storm).

POP room 5470, king bed fully accessible, 4th floor, 60's building facing Hippy Dippy pool. There was a large icon semi blocking light from the window, but it was dark from the storm anyway.

This room was in pretty good condition considering the wear and tear POP rooms get. No time for VIP cleaning as I booked and checked-in same day, but housekeeping did come to change all bedding within an hour and did clean the bathroom again with disinfectant. Also brought the egg crates and did a very nice job carefully making up the bed - very kind housekeeper. The room does need a new air fliter as it had a stong funky order.

Wish I had photos, but forgot a camera this trip. :confused3
Thanks for the report.
I put some pictures of the SSR roll in shower one bedroom into this thread.

Thanks, Sue!

Room 8325 did not have a roll in shower, rather a traditional step-in tub/shower, but was otherwise exactly the same. Added hi-light to the tub/shower in my post to be sure DIS members will know. Glad you mentioned the roll-in shower. :) Bathroom had good grab rails, sink, commode, traditional step-in tub/shower.

At SSR room 8325 is a one bedroom in the Grandstand area, almost across from the elevator (absolutely quiet), with wide doors, grab rails in the bathroom (around commode, tub, some wall area), commode, sink and a traditional tub/with shower. Room was in excellent condition and housekeeping did a fantastic job with VIP cleaning, including carpets. Two wide doors to the bathroom, one from living room and king bed in bedroom. Large balcony, overlooking quiet courtyard, DTD hotels in distance.

The pull out couch is a queen, hard as cement! Housekeeping did bring egg crates asap, which helped (need these anyway).

can I ask you did you ask for VIP cleaning prior to arrival, reason I ask is when we were there in July the room hadn't been cleaned right, if at all :mad: and because of our sons infections we needed it to be they really messed us about so wondering if when we go back on our next vecation should we email or phone ahead
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter