Ways to take an extended break at Magic Kingdom?

Stefien Quix

Mouseketeer
We're staying off park and between parking/tram and waiting for the ferry or monorail, and the drive itself, it's just not feasible to drive back to relax for an hour or two before coming back refreshed.

Do parents have any tips for a good way to refresh and recharge in the afternoon so the kids can keep going without leaving the park?

TIA!

Depends on age, are you looking for a good spot for a stroller nap or a good place for school age kids to take a break? For the later, I recommend some of the air conditioned shows like Mickey's Philharmagic or Carousel of Progress. We've also used the people mover (riding 3-4 consecutive times without getting off) to relax.

People mover .. I agree...
or exit and ride the monorail for a bit of a break... if napping involved.. people mover!

Because it took us over an hour to get into the park, and this was paying extra for preferred parking. Had we not paid for preferred parking, it would have taken us even longer. For a two hour break, we would spend 90% of our time traveling to/from the park. That's stupid.

Because it took us over an hour to get into the park, and this was paying extra for preferred parking. Had we not paid for preferred parking, it would have taken us even longer. For a two hour break, we would spend 90% of our time traveling to/from the park. That's stupid.
Oh that’s a long time. I can’t stand being in the park all day and late nights. I’d schedule a table service out of the park or take the monorail if I wasn’t going to go back to the resort.

We always stay at an on-site Resort, but even with that I always figure on 5 hours away from the park if a break is needed that day. So, if we want to be walking back in to a park at 6pm we need to start walking out of the park at 1pm. It takes time to walk to the bus, wait for a bus, ride to the resort, walk to the room, snack, bathroom, pool time maybe, nap or rest about two hours to make the travel effort worth it. Then pull yourself together, bathroom, walk to the bus, wait for the bus, ride back to the park, walk to the park entrance, security bag check, etc. If you don’t have a block of time in mind for all this, it’s just not worth it.

My favorite break and the easiest is to take the monorail to one of the monorail resorts and relax in the lobby. You cannot use the pool at a resort where you are not staying- but you are free to use the lobby, shops, etc.

A meal at Trails End can be a good break. Take the boat over to the camp ground. Eat and if you want, let the kido run around a bit and boat back. Nice relaxing and about 2 hours total time.

So, my bad for leaving out the relevant info, but the reason we need to be in the park when we do is because we have BOG reservations, so a meal beforehand doesn't really make sense :)

I totally get not wanting to mess with leaving and coming back in. We've pretty much always stayed on property and I still find it to be a hassle to leave and come back to the same park. I would do the HOP, COP and Philarmagic for some a/c down time. If it's cool enough outside maybe just find a quiet spot to sit and people watch for a bit and enjoy a small snack.

So, my bad for leaving out the relevant info, but the reason we need to be in the park when we do is because we have BOG reservations, so a meal beforehand doesn't really make sense :)
I would look at things you already been told about for AC but if looking to get 5 year old out of park I would look at boat ride over to campground and let him run around play area near boat check out the horse barn which is on other side of Trails End and walkable from boat dock. boat ride is about 20 minutes but need to allow time for just missing boat

Hangout on Tom Sawyer Island for a bit (I generally give us 45 minutes to an hour for chill out time there) and if it has reopened and more time is needed take the Liberty Sq. Riverboat Cruise. Some of the Island's attractions have A/C.

We love BOG as a break during the day. Do you have a lunch or dinner res?

If its hot the Dumbo splash area (sorry dont know the official name) has some space to run around.

Honestly, we have done rope drop to fireworks with our kids and taking just short little breaks in the park has been enough.

You can ride the train around the park. It makes a couple stops - in frontier land, over by dumbo and at the park entrance. You can just stay on it (not get off at the stops) and just ride it around the park. We did that in the rain since it's covered - rode around 3 times! You can even see the back of rides and inside part of splash mountain.

Enchanted Tiki Room
Carousel of Progress
Country Bear Jamboree
People Mover

some nice attractions, in the shade and/or AC, to rest at.

I'd say head to anearby Disney Resort and get some drinks or have lunch, explore the hotel etc. When my husband and I want to take a break at MK but don't want to go all the way back to our resort we head over to the Poly or Contemporary and get some drinks and walk around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter