Ways to entertain a 2yo while we rider swap? (or anytime!)

bladiator

Disney on my mind
I've gone a couple times to WDW with my (at the time) 15 and then 17 month daughter, and both times, she was really frustrated that she didn't get to just play with dirt or put her fingers in a puddle of water in the tiniest crack in the pavement. This time around, I can tell that things will be at least a little different -- we watch rides on youtube and any time a coaster goes down a hill or around a corner she says "Wheeee!"

I know she can't ride these rides, but she will at least enjoy the rides she can ride. Also, maybe there won't be rides close by that we want to go take her to, so shows, foods -- you name it. What are your favorite ways to entertain your toddlers when they can't ride a ride?

We took my son at 18 months and are going back next month, the week before he turns 3. (I think he is tall enough for 7DMT and SDD, so hopefully he will want to ride those!)

One trick we used last time was that we mostly did the height restricted stuff while he was napping. Sometimes, there is a ride they can do in close proximity. For instance, my DH took our son on the Nemo ride while I did Soarin’. There are also some play areas. The only meltdown my kid had the whole week was when we tried to drag him out of the Splash Mountain play area. There are also tons of shops, snacks, etc. We didn’t have any issues with the kid being bored!

We also take advantage of when my toddler's napping to ride the coasters when we can. Of course, that's not always possible due to fast passes and such, but oftentimes he will need a diaper change, or a snack. Go check out a gift shop, or find a place for them to run around a little (any of the play areas, Tom Sawyer's Island, trails at AK), coloring at the Kidcot stations, see if there's a character meet and greet nearby.

Prior to our trip I bought some small Disney plastic character figures (Mickey, Minnie, etc.); they had moveable arms and came in a set of 5 or 6. I think they were Fisher Price. I could easily pack these for a park day and distribute to distract the little ones. My granddaughter liked to take them to the pool too.

We took my son at 18 months and are going back next month, the week before he turns 3. (I think he is tall enough for 7DMT and SDD, so hopefully he will want to ride those!)

One trick we used last time was that we mostly did the height restricted stuff while he was napping. Sometimes, there is a ride they can do in close proximity. For instance, my DH took our son on the Nemo ride while I did Soarin’. There are also some play areas. The only meltdown my kid had the whole week was when we tried to drag him out of the Splash Mountain play area. There are also tons of shops, snacks, etc. We didn’t have any issues with the kid being bored!
My daughter sometimes never naps (even though she needs it) when we're out, otherwise we'd use that exclusively. I'm all about Seas and Journey while someone is doing Soarin (and the Land ... that seems to interest her in the past). I'm going to look for more play areas -- she definitely hung out in the Splash one in the past, but it was take it or leave it. :)

You might find letting her just walk around will pass the time. When we had a 2 year old, she spent a lot of time confined either in a stroller, on a ride, or in a highchair. Two year olds want to move so park the stroller and let her wander (holding your hand). Sometimes exploring is better than any distraction.

Usually the ride the grown ups wanted to do had a longer line than the kiddie rides, so one adult would take the nonrider(s) to a shorter kid friendly ride nearby. Barring that, stickers and pics of the previous day on the iPhone seemed to do the trick. And we were lucky enough to have Grandma with us, and grandma time is Magic time. She has a way of keeping them amused!

My two kiddos got to pick a couple small toys (cars, figures, etc). We would break those out when it would be a long line or a wait. Easy to keep in the backpack otherwise.

My son made several little friends at the Splash Mountain play area with those cars...he was sad when sister and dad got back and he had to go. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter