Way Out Here, Eh? - A June 2019 TR *PTR Link Posted

I hate that, when you think of something good like that when it is too late. Sannaa lounge, I might need to try and remember that for our adults only trip. I dream about that bread service!

Forgetting about the lounge was what actually prompted me to go back to my PTR and re-read everyone's suggestions. Had I done that from the beginning I would've have remembered it soon enough!

I have adult plans for this too but I' m afraid I won't be able to stay up that late either.

When you're used to getting up early, it's hard to just stop and switch gears! Hopefully you'll last later than we did. :rotfl2:

Ah- I love the toasting picture at the end of your post! So happy that you got that time away together.

Definitely an occasion worth toasting! Fingers crossed it doesn't take us another five years to get an adults-only trip again. :laughing:

Yum! That looks delicious! I must finally check out Sprinkles in December.

I think the great thing about Sprinkles is that you could bring the cupcakes back to your resort and snack on them at a later time if you wanted.

Very glad you had a nice evening together, enjoying the beauty of AKL!

I don't think I'll ever get tired of being at AKL; it's just so beautiful.

Isn't DS the best! I love Sprinkles and make a point to hit it up almost every trip...

I think Sprinkles might have to be a new go-to for us, as well! I love truffles and ice cream, but sometimes those can be really heavy. These cupcakes are a lighter dessert option.

I have a very on and off relationship with that game!

Such a fun night at Disney Springs and the resort! I really want to stay at AKL one day, it sounds so amazing.

What a sweet note from Landon ❤

I figure if I only have one phone game that I resort to when I'm trying to burn time then I'm all right. Everyone's allowed one mindless entertainment outlet, right? :rotfl2:

Staying at AKL is an experience in and of itself. I feel like it's only one of a handful of resorts that I could stay at and not need park tickets while I'm there.

I have a not-at-all-mild obsession with that game!

I figured I'm allowed one phone game to zone out to. And at least this one isn't bad if the kids walk up and watch me play. Even when my oldest says things like, "That's not a very high score, Mom." :rolleyes2 :rotfl:

Oo I'm not a huge beer drinker but I would like to try it now.

I'm not really a beer drinker, either, so that probably speaks even higher for this drink. I will really only go out of my way to drink this one and the Big Wave from the Kona Brewing Company.

Nothing wrong with heading back to the resort! Especially when there's zebra domes to be had :)

Aww what a sweet note from Landon!

It sounds like it was a great first adults only day!

You make a good case with the zebra domes. When you're at Disney, you've got to make time for all those special treats you can't get at home.

That cupcake looks so good! It's always nice when an expensive cupcake lives up to its hype.

Very true! I was a little hesitant about spending four dollars on a single cupcake, but it turned out to be worth every penny. (And cupcakes aren't usually my thing.)

Meh, your college age self didn't understand the sheet exhaustion involved in keeping tiny humans alive.

I think it sounds like a lovely night that balanced fun time out with your spouse AND a good night's sleep.

Good point. Someone at work recently told Alex, "I don't like how tired you always look."
And his response was: "I have kids. This is just my face now." :rotfl2:

What a wonderful first day and finding Landon’s note was the perfect ending :love:

Landon was very sweet to leave me a little note. He wouldn't admit it, but I think he was a little nervous about me going away. Beforehand, he kept saying, "two more days, one more day, half a day." Dad being gone was no big deal, but me going was a little intimidating.

Hey Alicia! Well, somewhere in the mix of too much work and summer vacation, I missed that you had started a trip report. But I found it and am caught up now. I'm looking forward to reading about it. My family used to do longer trips to Florida too, the longest being 18 days with 10 at WDW, so it will be interesting to see how it went for you. I had to laugh at your experience of being on a trip without kids. I don't think that's happened to my wife and I since our honeymoon. One of these days we'll get to do that again!

Landon was very sweet to leave me a little note. He wouldn't admit it, but I think he was a little nervous about me going away. Beforehand, he kept saying, "two more days, one more day, half a day." Dad being gone was no big deal, but me going was a little intimidating.
Landon is a wee dote :love: Bet you got a hug or 2 when you met up again!

I'd say it was a good first day! I think you made the right decision to call it a night and head back to your resort. When paying the price for a deluxe, it makes sense to sometimes just enjoy spending time there. I sense foreshadowing on eating issues. As I get older, I find I'm better off trying to eat my normal diet when traveling but that isn't always easy (or fun). What a sweet note :love: I still have notes from my boys and they're in their 30's.

I got to pick and went with the dark chocolate with sprinkles. (We were at a bakery called Sprinkles- of course we had to get one with sprinkles!)
Well, it only seems logical.
The two of us took our cupcake out to the back porch and ate it, both of us very surprised at how good the item turned out to be. In my notes, I wrote:
“THIS IS A FOUR DOLLAR CUPCAKE.”
Sounds like a great bargain... as opposed to 8 dollar cupcake that they sell in the parks.
I saw this and had to recognize my mild obsession with a phone game:
Wow... I guess there actually is a Disney phone game I haven't seen/played yet.
My college-aged self would have been mortified. Not even thirty years old and too tired for drinks and live entertainment.
You're a parent. It happens. Faster than we'd care to admit.
Let’s just say, changing your eating habits on vacation is a horrible idea.
::yes:: But often too unavoidable.
So there you have it, two people’s recommendation for this drink. You can get it inside the DAK park, but I think I would go so far as to drive to Animal Kingdom Lodge and grab a bottle to enjoy while sitting at an animal lookout location.
New resort relaxation goal!
Hmm... thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look for it next time.
Sweet Landon! Being the parent who is around him the most, I tend not to get as many affectionate notes or letters. Alex has a slew from deployments and work trips, but I just have the standard Mother’s Day cards. But now I’ve got this little gem. A sweet reminder that my kiddos do love their Mama. What else could a mom ask for?
Awww... that's a great way to cap off the day!

What an awesome evening! I feel your pain on the whole going back to the resort. But sometimes when you've paid that money, a chill night is more fun than staying out!

DH loves the Tusker beer too. He's always on the lookout for it lol

Good to see you back here! Do you think you'll write up a report or brief summary of your Alaskan cruise? I'd love to read about it. Very envious of all the various Disney adventures you have been able to partake in....Aulani, Alaskan Cruise, DLP. Such a wonderful way to see new places! (With the Disney experience included.)
Good question! I'd love to, but I honestly can't promise much of anything right now. We just got back from Izzy's surprise birthday WDW visit and I'd love to jump into that too, but time and energy are never on my side, it seems.

Originally, I had made grand plans for Alex and I to go to the Edison and share appetizers and drinks at the bar. I really want to see this location
Hey, we had lunch at the Edison the other day! It was pretty cool and the food and service were good. Stage was empty at lunchtime, though.

Then almost lost it when I found a note placed on top:

Sweet Landon!
Awwww, too sweet!

Your Mara meal looks tasty! I miss AKL!

It began pouring on the way over – a classic Florida afternoon thunderstorm where the bottom dropped out of the sky and the wipers weren’t making a dent against the heavy raindrops.

I loved it.

I grew up on summer storms and really miss them when I’m in Europe.

I can imagine how different this would be! I feel a real sense of nostalgia with those classic thunderstorms from the summers when we used to visit my step-family when I was young. So I can only imagine what it feels like for you, with Florida being your home, having been away and then back to visit. Nothing like a good rain shower in the summer!

He took a guess a parked in Lime:

Which proved to be the winner.

Yay, Alex! Good choice. I don't know what the Orange garage is actually good for. Maybe the movie theatre?

Alex loves hats and thought this one was nice, but he said it fit his head weird. Albeit, he’s got a giant head so it’s possible.

Ooh, this hat makes me think Nathan and Alex have a few things in common! Nathan likes hats but has a massive head! He also loves the Disney mountains and would get such a kick out of this particular hat.

“Alex, we were in and out of that place in less than half an hour.”
“I feel like we skipped something. Did we forget anything?”
“So this is what dinners as adults are like. I forgot.”

:rotfl:

I remember making eye contact with my mom and both of us raising our brows.

How did he know?!

He probably sensed it.

SOMEONE IS AT DISNEY WITHOUT ME!

:rotfl:

Oh no! Landon is such a clever guy!

The two of us took our cupcake out to the back porch and ate it, both of us very surprised at how good the item turned out to be. In my notes, I wrote:
“THIS IS A FOUR DOLLAR CUPCAKE.”

Yummm! Looks tasty!

In hindsight, I should have gotten this pin. I find it so fitting for our relationship. We move around so much, and every time I go to Disney without Alex I miss him terribly. For me, there’s nothing better in the world than walking into a Disney park with my husband.
Without a doubt, my happy place.

:lovestruc I love this :goodvibes

My college-aged self would have been mortified. Not even thirty years old and too tired for drinks and live entertainment.

For shame, older Alicia. For shame. :rotfl2:

:rotfl: I feel like I can relate to this! I did the same thing on our last trip. I had wanted to check out Jellyrolls, but I was just too old/tired/lame by the time that time rolled around.

I bring up the food topic once again, because it played a role in my Disney trip later.
Let’s just say, changing your eating habits on vacation is a horrible idea.

Uh oh...that doesn't sound good. :eek:

I mentioned trying the African beer and S. – who had been deployed in Africa – knew the company I was talking about.
“Ooooh! Tusker beer! Yeah, that’s a good one.”

So there you have it, two people’s recommendation for this drink. You can get it inside the DAK park, but I think I would go so far as to drive to Animal Kingdom Lodge and grab a bottle to enjoy while sitting at an animal lookout location.

Neat! I'll have to pass this recommendation on to Nathan. He's not much of a beer drinker, but occasionally he finds one he likes.

Hey Alicia! Well, somewhere in the mix of too much work and summer vacation, I missed that you had started a trip report. But I found it and am caught up now. I'm looking forward to reading about it. My family used to do longer trips to Florida too, the longest being 18 days with 10 at WDW, so it will be interesting to see how it went for you. I had to laugh at your experience of being on a trip without kids. I don't think that's happened to my wife and I since our honeymoon. One of these days we'll get to do that again!

Don't worry, the new school year and general life obligations caused me to step off the DIS for a few weeks, so you didn't miss much. :rotfl: Alex absolutely loved taking such a long trip. He thinks that's the only way to accomplish everything in the parks. He'd probably jump at a chance to spend 18 days in Orlando.
Hopefully a kid-free trip will come your way!

Landon is a wee dote :love: Bet you got a hug or 2 when you met up again!

According to my mom, he was VERY anxious to see me the day we were reunited. Felt good to know he still loved and needed his mama. :goodvibes

I'd say it was a good first day! I think you made the right decision to call it a night and head back to your resort. When paying the price for a deluxe, it makes sense to sometimes just enjoy spending time there. I sense foreshadowing on eating issues. As I get older, I find I'm better off trying to eat my normal diet when traveling but that isn't always easy (or fun). What a sweet note :love: I still have notes from my boys and they're in their 30's.

Someday, I want to stay at AKL and not have park tickets. I feel like I have yet to fully enjoy the resort's offerings because I'm always going to the parks. The deluxes really can be a vacation in and of themselves.
Sticking to a normal diet is probably the most common sense thing to do, but it's oh so hard when you're in a theme park surrounded by tasty treats. I have to work on my self control!

Sounds like a great bargain... as opposed to 8 dollar cupcake that they sell in the parks.

Plus, the cupcakes in the parks are topped with a massive layer of frosting which kind of masks the taste of the actual cupcake. Sprinkles is definitely the better cupcake choice.

Hmm... thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look for it next time.

I definitely recommend giving it a try. It might give you something in Animal Kingdom to look forward to! Bump it up a few notches in your book. :rotfl:

What an awesome evening! I feel your pain on the whole going back to the resort. But sometimes when you've paid that money, a chill night is more fun than staying out!

DH loves the Tusker beer too. He's always on the lookout for it lol

Too true. When you're staying deluxe you want to enjoy the resort as much as possible!
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a really good beer.

Good question! I'd love to, but I honestly can't promise much of anything right now. We just got back from Izzy's surprise birthday WDW visit and I'd love to jump into that too, but time and energy are never on my side, it seems.

I completely understand! At this point in time, you have to make sure you're not overloading yourself and it sounds like trip reporting might do that!
Did Izzy enjoy her surprise trip? Was it nice to be back at WDW?

Ooh, this hat makes me think Nathan and Alex have a few things in common! Nathan likes hats but has a massive head! He also loves the Disney mountains and would get such a kick out of this particular hat.

Glad I'm not the only one married to a guy who struggles with hats! Poor Alex doesn't even consider a hat if it isn't adjustable. :rotfl2:

Oh no! Landon is such a clever guy!

Landon's Disney radar is on point! We have raised him well.

I feel like I can relate to this! I did the same thing on our last trip. I had wanted to check out Jellyrolls, but I was just too old/tired/lame by the time that time rolled around.

I think priorities at Disney change drastically when you're an adult. Now, sleep and rest are the most important element of having a successful Disney trip. *sigh* Maybe one day we'll both make it to an EPIC girls' trip and motivate one another to enjoy the nightlife. :rotfl:

Hey there, friends! Sorry for long gap between posts. The start of the school year, extracurricular activities, a few weekends of nice weather, and I found my free time gone. I also decided to move my travel blog to a new server and that ate up much more of my time than I realized. Thank goodness that is done; I don't want to see the words domain and mapping for a long time!

I've also been trying to stop moping about the lack of another Disney trip in the books. It can be difficult to write about a long, indulgent WDW vacation when you have no idea the next time you'll be back.
For awhile, I was trying to make a week in January happen. Landon has a Monday and Friday off, so I was convincing myself to leave the Saturday before and let him miss that Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday of school. Then fly back the following weekend.
But the kids don't have tickets and it seemed like an awful lot of money for only 4 days at the parks.
Alas, I think I have finally swept that idea under the rug.

I kept trying to make a trip back to see family in late July work, but the prices for plane tickets are astronomical. Because it's during the English school holiday, the cost is much higher and I can't justify paying it. Not when we could go on five or six weekends trips around Europe for the same price.

Which means my family probably won't have a WDW vacation until summer of 2021. :sad::sad: I hate making the kids wait so long between trips, because I feel like they are at that golden age for Disney. Old enough to remember everything but still young enough to believe in the magic. I just have to hope Landon holds on to that mentality when he turns 8.

Now, the kids might not be returning for two years but I am trying to get back next November for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Due to the move and the month-long holiday in Florida, my Castle to Chateau dreams were shot this year. But next year I'm going after those medals! Half marathon in Disneyland Paris in September followed six weeks later by Wine and Dine.

That eases the pain of not having a family FL vacation to plan.

All right, enough rambling...a new update will be up by the end of the weekend! Promise!

June 2nd, 2019 Part 1:

Kids or no kids, my internal clock is fine tuned to wake up early in the morning. So by 6:20 I was up and out on my balcony with a piece of banana bread (curtesy of my mom) and a cup of coffee.

There was a keeper checking on the animals, one of which had a bandage on its hind leg that she checked out.
Early mornings at Walt Disney World are some of my favorite times of any trip, and if nothing else went my way later on, I would still feel like the day was a success. Watching the sunrise over Disney property with a cup of coffee is top on my list of things I’d rather be doing. Regardless of the fact that it was already humid and I had a sheen of sweat on my forehead. Nothing was bringing me down!

Even taking our time, Alex and I were ready to go at 7:20 a.m. We made it to the bus stop in a few minutes’ time (HOORAY for no slow walkers) but when a DHS bus arrived at 7:23 we opted to skip it because it was packed.
Alex and I weren’t in a rush and the last thing we wanted to do first thing in the day was contend with a mass of guests on a moving vehicle.

Fortunately, another bus pulled up at 7:28. It was Extra Magic Hours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios that morning, and I had one goal in mind for this time.

Alex and I were going to ride Rock N Roller Coaster!

Before the trip, I took a gamble and hoped everyone else attending EMH would go to Toy Story Land, leaving the other areas of the park more or less empty. It was a sound idea, and it might have worked out that way, had Slinky Dog Dash AND Tower of Terror not been down.

Alex and I went straight to the ride queue and were stopped halfway up the ramp. That seemed pretty unusual given it was 8 o’clock on the nose. We had noticed TOT wasn’t up and running but didn’t think it would cause the wait time for RNRC to jump to 35 minutes. Then a couple got in line behind us and we heard them grumbling about SDD being down.

Basically, everyone at DHS that wanted a coaster fix was standing in line with us at RNRC.

Normally, Alex and I would have jumped ship and moved on, but we had nothing else planned for the morning and knew this was going to be our one and only chance to ride the attraction this trip. We agreed to tough it out and wait our turn.
At one point, the cluster of teenagers in front of us who were playing Heads Up backed up right into Alex and created an awkward encounter. Gotta love guests who are absorbed in their own world and forget to check their surroundings…

Alex requested the front row, and with that additional wait, we ended up walking out of the attraction at 8:40.

I thought 40 minutes was a reasonable amount of time to wait for RNRC, but Alex has gotten to the point in his life where the attraction is too rough on him. He doesn’t know if or when he’ll do it again.

My how time hurts us all…

:rotfl2:
We couldn’t possibly be the same couple who rode RNRC 7 times in one day!

Alex and I saw a Photopass Photographer on Sunset Boulevard and remembered photos came with our passes. It made sense to grab a few before our kids joined us and wouldn’t get another opportunity to get photos of just the two of us.

So let’s get something nice!
Ahhhh, yes. Such a romantic shot.

At this point it was ten minutes until park opening and the sidewalks were only getting more congested. That was our cue to go. The two of us walked towards the exit, where I debated grabbing a cup of coffee for the road. I got so far as hopping into line then realized it would be a twenty minute wait and decided to leave. I just wanted coffee, nothing special, and it wasn’t worth the long wait for something so simple.

I got on the MDE app and tried to see if there was a Joffrey’s stand nearby, but couldn’t find any information on the site. I had to go to the Joffrey’s website and pull up their entire Disney list to figure out where to go. That seemed like way too much work for a coffee stand.

Ultimately, there was a kiosk in the World Showcase area in Epcot. Alex and I decided to head over to that park via the Friendship Boat and spend the rest of our morning there.

Luck was with us and a boat was pulling up as we approached the dock:

It was a quiet, relaxing boat ride over to the International Gateway. We got a good look at the Boardwalk Resort and marveled at how we had never visited it before. Those kinds of unseen novelties are rare with people like us, who visit the parks over and over again.

Before heading into the park, Alex and I sunscreened up, because it was only about a billion degrees outside. The weather that week in Florida had been a little wonky where it hadn’t rained (up until the evening before) so the temperatures were in the low 100s but moderate humidity. So it wasn’t super muggy out but the sun made it unbelievably hot.
Of course, this all changed shortly. But for this day that was the weather Alex and I were facing.

At 9:45, World Showcase was a ghost town. We practically had the place to ourselves!

Continuing with the trend of grabbing sophisticated photographs to show off our kid-less status…we got a Magic Shot near France.

You know you’re jealous of our classy pictures.

It was the last day of the Flower and Garden Festival, and I was happy to get the chance to see the topiaries on display:

The Joffrey’s stand was easy to find; deciding what to get was a little harder.

A couple of women walked up as I was debating, and I told them to go ahead because I was indecisive. One of the women went up to the cash register and went, “Well I’m not indecisive. I know what I want.”

It was hard to tell if she was joking or criticizing my comment; I filed it under my Odd Things Said Within the Disney Parks and moved on with choosing a snack.

My decision?

Iced latte and a donut!

This was also the first time Alex got to use our 20% discount and was very pleased with the result. The coffee, donut, and a bottled water came to approximately 11 dollars as opposed to the 13 it would have been. Can’t complain about a 2 dollar savings!

Up Next…This is What Happens When You Write a Funny Story, Ya’ll.

It's so frustrating when your plans are thwarted by a ride (or rides) being down. It's too bad you didn't have a shorter wait for RNRC but am glad you were able to be easygoing about the whole thing and experience the coaster.

Those are great Photopass pictures. :laughing:

Mmmm, your coffee and donut look so good! I've heard great things about the Joffrey's donuts... did it live up to the hype?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts