Way Out Here, Eh? - A June 2019 TR *PTR Link Posted

Oh, my. What a way to start a trip. Now I'm praying and praying that I don't get a migraine before my flight on Tuesday night... ;) I'm so sorry that Alex felt so sick!
Still in awe you had a random DisMeet- and not even at Disney! What good luck after a terrible day!

Sounds like a very grueling lead up to your vacation - ugh! I've definitely had my fair share of nightmare travel experiences so I can sympathize. Glad to hear that things improved once you got there. The beach looks so beautiful!

The theory with having our vacation in between the move was that we would be so exhausted from leaving Germany, that we would want a break before starting the craziness of settling into England. And while we were definitely glad to have that reprieve, by the time we got to England we were just so past the point of wanting normalcy. Believe it or not, after 10 weeks of being displaced, you kind of start to miss things like sweeping the floor and putting a sweater away in a closet!

The beaches in Northwest Florida are some of the prettiest I've seen. I recommend them to everyone!

I'm here Dearie! :) I'll try my very best to keep up but I've fallen into the "Weekend DISser" category. :(

I certainly understand how that goes. Not to mention, you are gearing up for another Disney trip next month which means there's probably lots of other things that need to get squared away beforehand.

Haha, the frowner! But it must have worked out in the end since I'm a Disney Addict now!

You might also win the award for having the most to plan prior to your vacation but I'm glad it worked out *mostly* okay. Poor Alex, that sounds like a nightmare of a flight.

Well that gives me hope for Evie! :rotfl2:

In hindsight, I don't know what in the world I was thinking planning a Disney trip in the middle of a move! March and April were a whirlwind of jumping back and forth between vacation and real world plans. I'd call schools in England in the morning and make Fastpasses at Animal Kingdom in the afternoon. :rotfl:

Wow I’m tired just reading all you had to do in the run up to your trip!
As someone who does the whole transatlantic thing to get to Florida most years I feel your pain (poor Alex- migraines are definitely not a fun travel aid). There is that wonderful moment when you’ve gotten your luggage and are finally ready to start your vacation that makes it all worth it though! Best bit about jet lag is seeing the sunrise on your first morning. Worst bit is seeing the sunrise in days 2,3,4,5,6.,,,, :rotfl:
I’m sure those hugs on arrival were awesome :goodvibes
Your beach photos are stunning. Kids look so happy and that sand is just gorgeous :)

Oh my goodness, I am laughing so hard at your description of jet lag. How very true!
Does the jet lag get you when you travel to Florida? It can be a real nuisance when you have things planned that first week of vacation.

I love the beaches in Northwest Florida; I know the waters in the Caribbean and Mediterranean might be more beautiful, but I associate the Gulf Coast with home.

I can't imagine this- let alone with 2 children. I am so impressed.

Wow! What are the chances.

The kids shared the purple suitcase and because their clothes are so tiny, they were able to pack most of their clothes. Well, I should say Evie was able to pack almost all her outfits. Girl had so many dresses she couldn't bear to be without....
The worst part about my suitcase was that I had to lug around things I normally wouldn't for vacation. Simply because I was cheap and didn't want to throw it out re-buy it once we got to England. I couldn't pack medicines or lotions with our house stuff, so it all had to be hand carried. I'm sure if TSA inspected my bag, they would have thought I was nuts. Bringing three bottles of nail polish, children's Benadryl, energy gel packs for long runs, and a bottle of Tums with me on vacation. :rotfl2:

Joining in!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for joining along.

Oh man, that's a rough way to start a trip. I can't imagine my family living out of so few suitcases for any length of time. And then the worst timed migraine, ugh!

It's a good thing you were starting the trip with family and had time to let things settle before the WDW portion of the visit.

Being limited to a suitcase wasn't as difficult as the actual "living out of it" aspect. By the time we checked in to the hotel in England, I was 100% over unpacking our handful of clothes and sorting them into a random dresser drawer. I am so, so grateful I have our furniture back and don't have to rummage through a bag for a pair of socks if I need them.

I like spending a week or so at family's right after we get back to the states to help me adjust back to U.S. time. For some reason I struggle with this. And the last thing I want is to go to sleep at 8:30 while I'm at Disney!

Oh, my. What a way to start a trip. Now I'm praying and praying that I don't get a migraine before my flight on Tuesday night... ;) I'm so sorry that Alex felt so sick!
Still in awe you had a random DisMeet- and not even at Disney! What good luck after a terrible day!

Well, so long as you take something for it as soon as you notice it, you should be good. Don't be like Alex and try to tough it out! :sad2:

I was ridiculously excited that such a random DISmeet occurred. I don't always have DISmeets, but when I do...they are never actually in Walt Disney World. (*cough* Minnesota *cough*):rotfl:

Does the jet lag get you when you travel to Florida? It can be a real nuisance when you have things planned that first week of vacation.
Jet lag gets us a little bit on the way to Florida but kills us on the way home. Like messes with our bodies for days! We do try to tough it out on arrival day but have learnt the hard way not to do a sit down dinner-it's either room service or QS meal as any time we went for a sit down meal at least 1 child fell asleep on the table (always before food) and had to be lugged back to bed after the rest of us ate our meal. Said child would then wake at some ungodly hour to proclaim they were starving to death and needed sustenance. I do not like waking at 3 am to go hunting for food so now it's QS or if we arrive too late for that room service which we order the second we land in the room as it always takes forever to get to us (learnt that the hard way too) :rotfl: I have to admit I LOVE waking up before the rest of the world on that first morning and going for a stroll to watch the sun come up. Last few years my eldest boy (21) has joined me and it's been lovely having some mother-son time with him :goodvibes
I love the beaches in Northwest Florida; I know the waters in the Caribbean and Mediterranean might be more beautiful, but I associate the Gulf Coast with home.
They look stunning. I love the colour of the sand. We went to Clearwater in 1994 for a few days and just loved walking on that sand:love:
I was cheap and didn't want to throw it out re-buy it once we got to England. I couldn't pack medicines or lotions with our house stuff, so it all had to be hand carried. I'm sure if TSA inspected my bag, they would have thought I was nuts. Bringing three bottles of nail polish, children's Benadryl, energy gel packs for long runs, and a bottle of Tums with me on vacation. :rotfl2:
This is so me!:thumbsup2:rotfl:
Being limited to a suitcase wasn't as difficult as the actual "living out of it" aspect. By the time we checked in to the hotel in England, I was 100% over unpacking our handful of clothes and sorting them into a random dresser drawer. I am so, so grateful I have our furniture back and don't have to rummage through a bag for a pair of socks if I need them.
I lived in a caravan for 6 months once while my parents were building our house (well builders were building it but it was to be our new home). We moved into the house before it had running water, heating or electricity in October, in Ireland! That's how much fun the caravan was lol so I totally get the joy at having furniture and storage and space to breathe.
I like spending a week or so at family's right after we get back to the states to help me adjust back to U.S. time. For some reason I struggle with this. And the last thing I want is to go to sleep at 8:30 while I'm at Disney!
Ok this is a brilliant idea I just need to adopt a family in the U.S. Any suggestions?:rotfl:
I was ridiculously excited that such a random DISmeet occurred. I don't always have DISmeets, but when I do...they are never actually in Walt Disney World. (*cough* Minnesota *cough*):rotfl:

:love:I think it's brilliant that fate conspired to bring you together and I'd have been ridiculously excited too :goodvibes

In a feat of amazement, I have written and recorded ten reports, and you all are gracing me with the opportunity to jump into number eleven.

Eleven!!
Isn't it crazy how they build up! I am SUPER excitied to read about this one, for sure!

I am third in line for the biggest Disney lover in our unit of four. I used to be the one convincing everyone else to drink the Disney Kool-aid and join the dark side, but now as my fiery passion for all things mouse has lowered to a simmer, other members have ramped up their love to unimagined heights.
I already know who is last. :( I hope she gets the bug one day.

This trip became a study in two children’s varying personalities and interests, as seen in the following example:
Poor gal.

(or, apparently, @GrandmaZ here on the boards, something she did not tell me until a few weeks ago!):
That is too funny! Good thing you have always had nothing but great things to say about your mom! Does she just read your trip reports? Or read other stuff as well?

From that point on, everything we would have on hand for the next 10 weeks were packed in four suitcases and shoved in the back of our vehicle:
I still don't know how you did this! Amazing!

Alex crashed right after takeoff and didn’t wake until we were landing. That helped tremendously, his migraine was still there but at least the nausea had lessened.
That must have been miserable. Glad you made it and he survived. Being sick is the worth, being sick while traveling even worse.

I really don’t know why I keep traveling internationally, because none of my five experiences have been easy.
Cause you have to. It's not really leisure travelling. one day it will get easier, the kids are getting bigger. (hopefully)

My good friend had also gifted me with her cold before I left, so I was contending with that in the later days.

Didn’t stop me from going to the zoo, Target, and the beach, though!
It was a good thing you had some down time to enjoy family and get recouperated from all of that before the busy portion of the trip started.

“Oh my God!!!”

I didn’t mean to yell, and immediately I was mortified as everyone around me turned to look at the crazy chick screaming in Chick Fil A.
Ha! That is too funny! And the world can be so small sometimes.

Not going to lie, this was probably one of the coolest DIS meet experiences I’ve had, if only because it was completely random and all based off luck.
That is truely crazy! And you really couldn't plan that if you tried!

I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!

Ten and a half hours on the first flight with two kids AND a husband with a migraine?! My dear, you deserve an award! :worship:

I'm glad you all survived both flights and Alex felt a little better after the second flight. I'm also glad your parents were there to greet you and help you with everything upon arrival! A few days of fun (and Target! :goodvibes ) sound like a wonderful start to your trip.

Wow, what an amazing coincidence to run into a DISer while picking up lunch! You should've bought that lotto ticket! ;)

Wow what a travel day! but hey you made it! And you are a super Mom for making it the way you did! I agree about international travel, it seems like no matter what anyones intentions are they always get screwed up! Calista just came back from Spain this weekend and her flight was a hot mess! She was supposed to fly home Saturday night with a connection in Lisbon but of course her first leg from Madrid was delayed 50 minutes for a 55 minute layover meaning they definitely weren't making the flight! They rebooked her on the same flight the next day but the girl she was traveling with was trying to get back for her Grandmothers wake the next day and was a basketcase since the same flight the next day would cause her to miss it. So they had to fly BACK to Madrid to get on a flight earlier the next day through a different airline which got delayed two hours and of course their luggage was lost lol if only time travel was real!!

I'm sure it was SUCH a relief to be home with your parents though after that ordeal!

***And the award for longest update covering a pre-Disney portion goes to Alicia! Congratulations on writing the most long-winded summary of all time. You will now forever be known as one of the most annoying DISers here on the boards. Wear that badge of honor with pride as your friends fall asleep at their keyboards. :eek: ***
Not a chance...
Cripes, that’s a long span of time for the prerequisite “lead up to the Disney trip.” Typically, I would agree with you on that matter,
There's nothing at all typical about your situation though!
(I'm sure you can imagine the guilt trip we received for that decision...)
::yes:: And at the same time, that's really not fair. I know it isn't easy on you guys either, but you have to do what is best for your family.
When I saw what gate we would be flying out of, I got my hopes up that we might get a Lufthansa plane. Sometimes, United runs through them and their planes are known to be really nice. But alas, once at our gate we saw we would be on the lone United plane that was nestled on both sides by no less than six Lufthansa planes.

What a tease…
Because of course that's how it was going to go down.
That was a long time to be on an airplane.

Too long….
Holy cow... I just can't even imagine. The longest flights I've ever been on have been like 3 hours.
It was not a good time for Alex.
I really hate to hear that. Flying is miserable enough, but when you're feeling like that... that's just rough.
After worrying about Alex and trying to keep my sanity on our long flight, it was sweet relief to finally be at our destination and be done with the hardest part of the trip. I was ready to have my parents help with the bags and get us to a known and comfortable home, where we could crash hard.
The sense of relief at this point must have been incredible!
“Oh my God!!!”

I didn’t mean to yell, and immediately I was mortified as everyone around me turned to look at the crazy chick screaming in Chick Fil A.

But I knew who it was!

And the odds of running into her were one in a million!!!

It was Kristy, AKA @khertz , from here on the boards.

WHAT?! How much luck has to be involved for this to happen?
This. Is. Awesome!!!!

Seriously, what great luck! I'm glad you guys were able to have this surprise random meet at a chick fil a!

Oh boy just reading this gave me anxiety, wore me out and them lifted my spirit. What a roller coaster. You are truly one amazing woman, wife, mother and daughter. Ya'll really deserved this trip. So sorry Alex suffered so much to start the trip. And what a cool Dis Meet! Was she driving from Louisiana? What are the odds to end up in the same Chick-fil-A?

I'm looking forward to more.

Wow - what a start to your trip! Your flight sounds like it was absolutely awful. International flights are bad enough without the extra misery you guys had. I've flown internationally twice - the travel back home hasn't been bad but getting there on overnight flights is really hard on me. Hate them mostly because I cannot sleep. So glad you had some days of RnR at your parents home. Love the random Dismeet! I'm sure you were shocked when you realized who it was - I can understand why you let out a loud OMG! Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your trip went.

Jet lag gets us a little bit on the way to Florida but kills us on the way home. Like messes with our bodies for days! We do try to tough it out on arrival day but have learnt the hard way not to do a sit down dinner-it's either room service or QS meal as any time we went for a sit down meal at least 1 child fell asleep on the table (always before food) and had to be lugged back to bed after the rest of us ate our meal. Said child would then wake at some ungodly hour to proclaim they were starving to death and needed sustenance. I do not like waking at 3 am to go hunting for food so now it's QS or if we arrive too late for that room service which we order the second we land in the room as it always takes forever to get to us (learnt that the hard way too) :rotfl: I have to admit I LOVE waking up before the rest of the world on that first morning and going for a stroll to watch the sun come up. Last few years my eldest boy (21) has joined me and it's been lovely having some mother-son time with him :goodvibes

Oh, what a disappointment about getting jet lag on the return trek home. We are all usually pretty good with flying back to Europe. Just have to tough it out for that one long day until bedtime.

Smart of you to start ordering room service or QS on arrival night. That way if a kid falls asleep before the food arrives, at least you have a fridge to put away something for them when they wake.

How sweet that you found a way to sneak in a few mother-son moments. I already know I'll crave those little memories when Landon's older and has more interests than hanging with his mom. :rotfl:

I lived in a caravan for 6 months once while my parents were building our house (well builders were building it but it was to be our new home). We moved into the house before it had running water, heating or electricity in October, in Ireland!

Wow! I couldn't imagine living out of a caravan. I've watched a few documentaries and read a few blogs about people building their own home and living in a similar place until it was finished, and I just can't fathom it. I love my family, but I love them even more when I can shoo them into another room. :rotfl2:

I already know who is last. :( I hope she gets the bug one day.

I really thought this was going to be the trip we turned her around. Alas, our efforts failed...

That is too funny! Good thing you have always had nothing but great things to say about your mom! Does she just read your trip reports? Or read other stuff as well?

I'm not sure. Probably just the trip reports. She would probably get a little overwhelmed with the slew of tips and information on other threads. I start talking in-depth about our touring planning and her eyes start to glaze over. :laughing: She likes to tell people that one of the reasons she likes going to Disney is because I plan everything and all she has to do is show up and enjoy the trip. Which I'm completely fine with, because I couldn't imagine trying to hand over the reigns. Too much of a control freak for that!

Cause you have to. It's not really leisure travelling. one day it will get easier, the kids are getting bigger. (hopefully)

We just bought a minivan and our goal for our time in England is to road trip around the U.K. as much as possible. I'm really curious to see if this is easier or harder than flying to a destination.

How fun to have a random Dis meet!

I’m sure you and your hubby were glad to be on the ground after your looong and “painful” flight!

I was really excited to run into Kristy. Her son's first WDW trip was one of the first reports I read here on the board, so it kind of felt like I was meeting a legend! Plus, it's really nice when you can actually meet the people you have befriended here.

She likes to tell people that one of the reasons she likes going to Disney is because I plan everything and all she has to do is show up and enjoy the trip.
This is why I think Andy likes going to Disney as well! I plan everything, and he shows up! But like you, I enjoy it!

Ten and a half hours on the first flight with two kids AND a husband with a migraine?! My dear, you deserve an award! :worship:

I'm glad you all survived both flights and Alex felt a little better after the second flight. I'm also glad your parents were there to greet you and help you with everything upon arrival! A few days of fun (and Target! :goodvibes ) sound like a wonderful start to your trip.

Wow, what an amazing coincidence to run into a DISer while picking up lunch! You should've bought that lotto ticket! ;)

I really should have!

Long international flights with kids are the only way of flying I knew (at the time) so I just kind of went into a "this is how it is" zone. And with us living overseas for another 4 years, I don't see it changing any time soon. Thankfully, each year gets a tiny bit easier because the kids are becoming more independent. Landon can do pretty much everything on his own and Evie will sleep if prompted. Now, I don't think I'd go back to taking a 4 and 1 year old on a long-haul flight again! :rotfl:

Wow what a travel day! but hey you made it! And you are a super Mom for making it the way you did! I agree about international travel, it seems like no matter what anyones intentions are they always get screwed up! Calista just came back from Spain this weekend and her flight was a hot mess! She was supposed to fly home Saturday night with a connection in Lisbon but of course her first leg from Madrid was delayed 50 minutes for a 55 minute layover meaning they definitely weren't making the flight! They rebooked her on the same flight the next day but the girl she was traveling with was trying to get back for her Grandmothers wake the next day and was a basketcase since the same flight the next day would cause her to miss it. So they had to fly BACK to Madrid to get on a flight earlier the next day through a different airline which got delayed two hours and of course their luggage was lost lol if only time travel was real!!

I'm sure it was SUCH a relief to be home with your parents though after that ordeal!

I feel like European air travel gets completely messed up the minute the schools let out for summer holiday. Like, all flights leaving out of London were running fine and then BAM the day after schools let out, there was a massive strike at Heathrow with tons of cancelled flights. :confused3 Poor Calista was probably in the midst of a bunch of airlines throwing wrenches in their flights.
Did she ever get her lost luggage back???

And at the same time, that's really not fair. I know it isn't easy on you guys either, but you have to do what is best for your family.

Some family members accepted the decision better than others. But, such is life. Alex and I always looks at what is best for our core unit and decide from there. (And we really did make the right choice here. Had we not applied for England and gotten it, we would have been going to North Dakota! :eek::eek:)

Holy cow... I just can't even imagine. The longest flights I've ever been on have been like 3 hours.

That's too funny. When Alex and I flew to Minnesota and I saw our flight was three hours, I kept asking him, "What do I do?! That's so short!":rotfl:

Oh boy just reading this gave me anxiety, wore me out and them lifted my spirit. What a roller coaster. You are truly one amazing woman, wife, mother and daughter. Ya'll really deserved this trip. So sorry Alex suffered so much to start the trip. And what a cool Dis Meet! Was she driving from Louisiana? What are the odds to end up in the same Chick-fil-A?

I'm looking forward to more.

The lead-up, traveling, and journey back was SO MUCH WORK but it was completely worth it all. Actually, a few days after we got to my mom's house I broke down in tears because I was watching the kids play in my mom's pool and they were just so darn happy. It made me realize how UNHAPPY they had been with the move and leaving their home, that a long vacation was exactly what they needed. Worth every second of that long flight.

They were driving from LA! They had stopped for lunch on their way to Orlando. Such a crazy coincidence!

Wow - what a start to your trip! Your flight sounds like it was absolutely awful. International flights are bad enough without the extra misery you guys had. I've flown internationally twice - the travel back home hasn't been bad but getting there on overnight flights is really hard on me. Hate them mostly because I cannot sleep. So glad you had some days of RnR at your parents home. Love the random Dismeet! I'm sure you were shocked when you realized who it was - I can understand why you let out a loud OMG! Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your trip went.

It's impossible to sleep on those airplanes, and then you're stuck trying to keep yourself awake through arrival day. They aren't the easiest things to do!
I couldn't believe Kristy and I had managed to run into each other with no prior planning. The odds of that happening were so small!

All signed up! I hope you enjoy your time in the UK... I only know of one US airbase here, so I suspect you're not very far from where I live! :-)

Hello and welcome! So far we love the U.K. Such a beautiful country and something to do every weekend. (Although I'm still nervous about the driving. The roundabouts are much larger and have more lanes than German ones!)

Believe it or not, we are actually at a very small RAF base, but it's only about an hour away from the big one you're probably aware of. :goodvibes

This is why I think Andy likes going to Disney as well! I plan everything, and he shows up! But like you, I enjoy it!

I think that's the kind of duo that makes certain people travel well together. One doesn't mind doing the planning while the other is happy to go along for the ride. (Alex could care less about the planning portion, too.) It'll be interesting to see what happens when Landon gets older, because I think he'd like more say in our itineraries; I might have to let him into the planning fold a little bit.

You will now forever be known as one of the most annoying DISers here on the boards.

No way!! I think you were just secretly holding off because you knew how behind I was on the Dis and you wanted to give me time to catch up. :)

I figured it was the least we could do after announcing to our loved ones that we would continue to be out of the states for four more years. (I'm sure you can imagine the guilt trip we received for that decision...)

Oof. Not fun.

Less is more, especially with children.

Totally! Well...

The only regret I had was that I didn’t pack another pair of shoes. I got so sick of wearing the same sneakers once I returned to Europe and couldn’t really wear my sandals anymore due to the climate and landscape.

...except when it comes to shoes.

Alex thought the seats had more legroom than other airlines. (I looked online and they are the same, but he swears differently.)

:laughing:

Evie only ate the bread

A girl after my own heart.

It was not a good time for Alex.

He kept getting sick and feeling terrible.

Oh no! Poor Alex! He must have been absolutely miserable.

Watching Landon and Evie spot their Nana and Papi, running ahead so they could jump in their arms, was fulfilling.

:lovestruc:lovestruc

Awesome picture! Your kids are beautiful, and the water looks very inviting! :lovestruc

And the odds of running into her were one in a million!!!

It was Kristy, AKA @khertz , from here on the boards.

No way!! That's wild! I love reading about Kristy's stories in her TRs. And her DS seems like a super cool kid. I bet you had a great meet, despite being so tired.

Great photo!

Up Next…It’s Just an E.R. Trip, It’ll Be Easy

...uh oh. This doesn't sound good.

Oh man, the joys of international travel with small kids!!! I keep thinking since the kids have passports for the next few years we should try taking them to Europe but you've sure got me rethinking that. :rotfl: I get migraines sometimes, and I can't even imagine poor Alex having to deal with that on such a long travel day. What a bummer.

It's random enough to run into a DISer unplanned while in the parks. At a Chick-Fil-A in Florida not even to Disney yet was SO CRAZY!!! It made me smile reading about that. It was so awesome to meet you!! Hopefully one of these days our trips line up and we can spend some time together in the parks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!