Wave vs BOG

LibrarianBecky

Mouseketeer
I booked a Be Our Guest lunch reservation for our last full park day. We ate at BOG once before for breakfast and had a kind of rushed and hectic experience, so were hoping to take in a bit more of the castle ambiance this time. After reading so many negative reviews, though, I am second guessing myself. After hearing the DIS gang's amazing review of The Wave, I have been thinking of changing. Opinions? We are paying oop, and it is myself, my husband, and our semi-adventurous eater 12 year old son.

BOG: Forgettable food in an unforgettable setting.

The Wave: Surprisingly competent, chef-driven food served in a clean, charm-free environment, circa 2002.

If food quality is top priority, The Wave is vastly superior, even though it looks like "the nice restaurant in the remodeled airport concourse." For OOP dining, it really is one of the best.

BOG: Forgettable food in an unforgettable setting.

The Wave: Surprisingly competent, chef-driven food served in a clean, charm-free environment, circa 2002.

If food quality is top priority, The Wave is vastly superior, even though it looks like "the nice restaurant in the remodeled airport concourse." For OOP dining, it really is one of the best.

This is the best on-the-spot description of BOG and The Wave!!!!

I like high school cafeteria food better than lunch at BOG.

The Wave is one of my favorite restaurants on property.

We found The Wave to be very underwhelming (ambiance and food.) BOG at least has the incredible setting, especially if you can score seating in the West Wing.

Maybe I’m too snobby of a foodie or maybe I’m spoiled by living in a city with amazing restaurants, but I find almost all of the food at WDW to be average at best. We tend to choose our ADRs based on ambiance and experience rather than food. The ‘best’ food I’ve had at Disney still doesn’t compare to a nice restaurant offsite. But experiences like BOG where my 5-year-old got to eat in Belle’s castle and watch snow falling through the window... that’s worth it to me!

I have never found BOG to be worth the time, the effort , or the money. Love the Wave, excellent food. Especially if you’re looking to take a nice break away from the park the Wave is a really good choice

If on your last park day you’re willing to take a long break from the park than the Wave works. Even though we love the idea of a park break we never end up doing it as we are typically only there for 5 days (one park per day plus a 2nd at MK) and missing out on 3 hours (about time you may be gone when factor in walking over, eating, walking back through security again, etc...) of park time isn’t worth it to us.

I had been debating the same restaurants but for dinner for my July trip. Friends convinced me to go with The Wave and when I called (wanted to note my birthday), the CM on the phone said “You’ve picked what I think the the best but most underrated restaurant on property!”

That helped me feel solid in my decision.

We went to BOG lunch a few years back, disappointing. DD picked BOG dinner for her senior trip in 2018, hoping for a better experience. Although it didn't taste bad, when the entrees were placed before us we all thought 'where's the rest of it?' I declared out loud that we would find snacks later so no one would panic. This was after having already shared 2 apps between the 4 of us & planning to share a few desserts too. So, it was insanely expensive to know you have to eat again, before you've even eaten. I don't think we'll be back.

The Wave, only eaten once, breakfast buffet, booked as late as possible, walked over from MK, called it lunch (having eaten in room before an early AM EMH), left satisfied & stuffed.

Be Our Guest is overrated in my opinion although I thought it was okay when it first opened. The Wave is much better IMHO and a nice (but close) break from the parks. I wouldn’t hesitate to book it.

Maybe I’m too snobby of a foodie or maybe I’m spoiled by living in a city with amazing restaurants, but I find almost all of the food at WDW to be average at best. We tend to choose our ADRs based on ambiance and experience rather than food. The ‘best’ food I’ve had at Disney still doesn’t compare to a nice restaurant offsite. But experiences like BOG where my 5-year-old got to eat in Belle’s castle and watch snow falling through the window... that’s worth it to me!

This. I'm sure The Wave is fine or even great food but I have a plethora of great food here in Dallas. I go to WDW for unique experiences that I can't get anywhere else. The Wave is not that.

I think The Wave is a pretty good restaurant. Breakfast is their most outstanding choice, really, especially the buffet. It's a nice option for lunch, but not all that exciting for a great dinner. In the end, it's a second tier resort restaurant and I would rank them below several of the other deluxe resort 2nd tier restaurants, the best being the Grand Floridian Cafe and the Kona Cafe at the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian.

As for Be Our Guest, their dinner is absolutely wonderful and certainly top notch for a fine dining experience. I ate there last December and it was even better than the previous time I ate there for dinner, 4 years prior. As for breakfast and lunch, obviously, these are essentially quick-dining levels of quality food given to you, it's just that it is served to you, that being said, it is, to me, excellent quality for quick-service level of food. I enjoy all levels of quality of food for what they are. So, you just have to always know what your getting yourself into when you eat somewhere, in terms of the restaurant's approach to food and decide if you're ok with that. For me, I thought their breakfast and lunch choices, of which I have had several each over the years, to be very satisfying and fun, from breakfast sandwiches to lunch sandwiches to that quiche thing which is quite yummy.

You can certainly get better quality breakfast and lunch with more frills and excitement and bigger portions at resort eateries. However, the ambiance at Be Our Guest is special and it is a quick and efficient meal that is very solid.

So, you weigh all the options and pros and cons and decide what is best for you. Me, I try to always include BOG in my itinerary for sure, because to me, it is a special overall experience I would miss. The Wave gets included only if it fits into my schedule. It's not a "must".

Between the two, the Wave has better food, IMHO and if you are willing to take a substantial break from the park, it's kind of nice to walk over to CR to eat there. If you would rather stay in MK, perhaps consider Skipper Canteen instead. It's a little more "unique" than the Wave and would work for a semi-adventurous eater. It's also a calmer experience than the absolute chaos of BOG lunch.

Skipper Canteen is basically the best food at Magic Kingdom, in my opinion. I love it. That is a great idea. I mean, it's not THAT adventurous if you say, love Chinese Food, at least - it's not that far removed from it, in spirit. It's a bit like a fine dining version of Animal Kingdom's Yak and Yeti.

For me, BOG was the second biggest letdown in my life. The first was in the 3rd grade I had a big crush on a cute little brunette named Wendy. After being friends with her for 5 months she gave me my first kiss. It was nothing like I dreamed it would be like. What a letdown. :rotfl2::goodvibes BOG was like that kiss. I thought about it for several months after making the ADR, anticipated the moment. And when it finally arrived BOG looked great, but what a letdown. A one and done for me. As for the Wave, it's a very competent restaurant and the food is good as well.

Others have summed it up well. The food at the Wave (lunch and dinner--I've not eaten breakfast) is good but not great. Service has always been good. They waaaaay overcook the chicken. Veggies are good as a desserts, but very small portions of the latter.

I booked a Be Our Guest lunch reservation for our last full park day. We ate at BOG once before for breakfast and had a kind of rushed and hectic experience, so were hoping to take in a bit more of the castle ambiance this time. After reading so many negative reviews, though, I am second guessing myself. After hearing the DIS gang's amazing review of The Wave, I have been thinking of changing. Opinions? We are paying oop, and it is myself, my husband, and our semi-adventurous eater 12 year old son.
Disney is all about the theming imo, so I would choose Be Our Guest. I can always eat a good meal in a boring restaurant, but I can't always eat in the Beast's castle. Lunch is better than breakfast there, as well, but it isn't ludicrously overpriced like their prix fixe dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!