Wave Phones - Cruise App - In Room Phone?

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
Ok so this is pertaining to having a child in the kids clubs. I can’t remember some of this from our last cruise.

The wave phones don’t ring correct? Do they vibrate or ping sound to alert to a call? Would love to nap on deck but if it doesn’t make a sound I would miss them trying to contact me if I am asleep. (We have inside stateroom booked)

The Cruise app. I remember the clubs being able to contact us thru it’s text messages if our child needed us. (Looked at our phone randomly one time and it had a message on our lock screen from the App saying our DS wanted us). It didn’t make a sound or vibrate, message was just there. Is this still true? I remember not having to carry the wave phones since they could contact us thru our phones.

The in room phone rings correct. So if I want to go to the room for a nap or if DS wants to stay late at the club at night the in room phone will ring to wake me up if the kids club needs me?

Also do you happen to know what order does the kids clubs try and contact you? Room, wave phone, and then app or is it combined some how?

Last edited:
We would get a call on the wave phone first and then the room phone, this was before there was an app. The wave phone did make some kind of sound, I think you could choose if you wanted it to ring or vibrate, or do both.

We use the app almost exclusively. Granted, my kids are older, but it works well for us. We have a "family chat room" with all of us in there, and then individual chats with each kid.

The wave phones are spotty, you can get them to ring audibly, but we never hear them.

As far as I know, both the wave phone and app messenger are configured to NOT allow any sort of audible ring or notification. This is to avoid the inevitable multiple disruptions during shows and dinners and such. That said, I haven't actually used a wave phone is several years, so this could have changed.

My personal experience with the app messenger this summer on the Magic was very spotty. Sometimes my iphone would vibrate and show a message on the lock screen. Sometimes it would show a message but not vibrate. Many times, there was no notification at all until I unlocked the phone and checked the app (and I never actually closed the app, it was always active when I locked the phone).

We unplug on vacation, so our devices go in the safe and we rely on wave phones exclusively. We ask for an extra so that each DS gets one and either DH or I have the third when the boys are out and about (older DS is a teen and younger is old enough for self-checkout from the clubs). The wave phones vibrate audibly, you'll feel it for sure if you're carrying one and we have no problems hearing them if we're in our room. In public areas of the ship your mileage may vary. I can hear it just fine in quieter places, but in a sea day / pool deck situation, no way, you have to be carrying it. If the club is calling, your stateroom phone will ring too so no worries there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!