water temperature at castaway cay

poohstx

Pin Trader Extraordinaire
how is the water temp at castaway cay? We are going on member cruise next month. We were(are) looking forward to snorkling, but I read the average air temp is 70. We are from NY, but still not sure I want to swim at that temp!
Sue

We were there last friday, Jan. 3 and it was approx. 60's outside and cool-- needed a sweatshirt-- of course it was overcast and no sun. The water was very chilly compared to st. maarten and st. thomas where the air was in the mid 80's and the water was comfortably warm. The water was not comfortable to swim at castaway cay; very few ventured in, mostly kids, but they were freezing. We sat with our feet in the water and that was fine, but the air was so cold that we didn't feel like venturing in. After doing both, we prefer the summer. I like hot sun and warm water and we missed that. The beach as always was beautiful and we had a great time. We cancelled our castaway package or snorkeling equipment, bikes, and floats. We did rent bikes and do that--- but it was very muddy along the trails. We just made the most of it and enjoyed our time.

We had great weather in December, it was in the low 80s but the water is still COLD to me this time of year. Lots of people were in it because we had a sunny day, and you did get used to it, but it's definitely cooler in the water in the winter.

Yea, what macbasset said. It was very cool on the 3rd, rainy, cold, and a bit windy. Didn't stop us from doing the couples cabana massages, but even that was cool with the rain pouring down. You had no problem getting a prime beach spot. Our bannana boat rides were cancelled. We also got a refund on our floats. The only ones I saw in the water were crazy kids as it was pretty cool. Definately not swimming weather. Here's hoping you have better luck.

What about at the end of Feb? Is the water too cold to swim? I hate to go and not be able to swim!

Skybaby, you shouldn't have a problem...we were at Castaway Cay for the 2/15/01 Eastern cruise...so that would have been the 21st, about when you'd be leaving.

The weather was mid 70's to 80, the water refreshingly cool but not "BRRR-COLD" and not difficult to get used to at all.

Keep in mind that Castaway Cay is at the same latitude as Fort Lauderdale. Anybody who's visited South Florida in the winter time knows that it can be a roll of the dice as to whether the weather will be warm enough to be inviting beach weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter