Water Parks in April: Cabanas/Umbrellas

eagle1992

Mouseketeer
Hey folks,

Fam and I are going to be at the World the week of April 8th...we have one day set aside for a water park (leaning towards TL but still researching BB). Both parks will be open 10-5.

Any thoughts on what the costs for the cabanas/umbrellas would be and how far in advance one should book either if one wants to ensure securing one?

Any recommendations on location requests for either category at TL or BB?

Thanks in advance!!!

I would strongly suggest thinking long and hard about the cabanas, or even umbrellas. My understanding is that they're something like $400 for a cabana. Unless you really, really have to have that level of privacy, I personally think they're one of the biggest wastes of money on the entire property. Even in the middle of summer, there is no shortage of chairs with shade available at either park...for free. In April, you should have nearly your pick of the litter.

As for which park to go to, you can't go wrong either way. They are both spectacular!! TL has an utterly amazing wave pool, and some really fun slides (Crush Gusher is awesome). They are never as crowded as the main parks, especially in cooler months. If you show up at 9:58am for a 10am opening, that's more than plenty. You'll be able to do any slide you want with zero wait for at least the first 60-90 minutes. Just be prepared for stairs...lots of stairs. Sometimes they go up 4 steps, then down 2, then up 5, then down 4...so it takes a while.

I would strongly suggest thinking long and hard about the cabanas, or even umbrellas. My understanding is that they're something like $400 for a cabana. Unless you really, really have to have that level of privacy, I personally think they're one of the biggest wastes of money on the entire property. Even in the middle of summer, there is no shortage of chairs with shade available at either park...for free. In April, you should have nearly your pick of the litter.

As for which park to go to, you can't go wrong either way. They are both spectacular!! TL has an utterly amazing wave pool, and some really fun slides (Crush Gusher is awesome). They are never as crowded as the main parks, especially in cooler months. If you show up at 9:58am for a 10am opening, that's more than plenty. You'll be able to do any slide you want with zero wait for at least the first 60-90 minutes. Just be prepared for stairs...lots of stairs. Sometimes they go up 4 steps, then down 2, then up 5, then down 4...so it takes a while.
Thanks - yeah if they are that much I'll have to reconsider...was just curious as to what the costs might be...and if it is going to be wide open during that timeframe we will definitely think twice about it.

We visit each water park at least 2 or 3 times during every summer trip (we've been every summer since 2015, and many times before that) and never have an issue finding chairs with shade. If it's peak summer and mid-day you may have to head toward the back of the park. But if it's April and you show up at 10am, you'll get whatever you want.

Hi - we rented a cabana at Blizzard Beach late April last year and really enjoyed it. It was a last minute thing - we walked into the part and decided we wanted to get one and there was two available left (we got there around 11am). It was close to $400 for the day including a tip to the attendant. The perks were nice but I agree there were plenty of free space to sit in the shade and out so it's not a necessity. We are going again this April and will probably do the same thing - if there is one available we may splurge but I don't plan on reserving.

I got a quote of $75 for the umbrellas for Saturday before Easter, this includes 2 loungers, 2 chairs, umbrella, and table. Allowed to have 4 people using it.

Is the seat availability still abundant surrounding Easter? I would like to know since we are weighing out if the umbrella rental is worth it.

I got a quote of $75 for the umbrellas for Saturday before Easter, this includes 2 loungers, 2 chairs, umbrella, and table. Allowed to have 4 people using it.

It might depend on your family but this was one of the best things we ever did during a longer trip. In fact, I think we had so much fun we did it a second time on the same trip. If you are not into getting there early and people tripping over your stuff and wondering if it will be there when you get back, this may be the way to go for you. It won't prevent stuff from walking away but these areas definitely get less traffic. As well as the items you mentioned, I believe you also get 4 towels. We were at TL right next to the wave pool with foliage all around us. We got plenty of sun but was nice to get some shade spending a longer day there. It was a much more relaxing way to go. There was plenty of sand if you have kids who like to play. It was located near many of the attractions and the food court and bathroom were close. If you plan to go this way, try to take a look at the spot number. I think our favorite was #23.

As for a reservation, we were there in late May and was able to get one the night before. At Easter, I expect you may want to get one sooner. Whatever you choose, have fun!

Oh yes, you are correct. Towels are also included. Thank you for the tip with #23, I’m leaning towards reserving this just to cut out some stress and pressure. Knowing we have a home base waiting for us will provide some peace of mind.

I find the cabana prices annoyingly high for what you get, but we've done them at both parks a handful of times. As the PP said - it's a total splurge and not necessarily something you 'have' to have as it's not particularly difficult to find space in the park, generally speaking. The attendant is nice, unlimited towels, unlimited soda refills, bottled water in the cooler, they have lockers, etc. Again, splurgy stuff.

The cabanas at TL are all (or mostly all) structures that are storm safe. Most of the cabanas at BB do not have roofs and are not storm safe (some are, most aren't). If a storm rolls up, a TL cabana is the better bet (although if it's a really bad storm you'll get blowing rain in the cabana).

A few years ago they changed the cabana food menus to be "platter" based. You can't just order a turkey sandwich, you have to order a turkey sandwich platter that serves a bunch of people. Chips & Guac? Yeah, you're getting enough to feed an army (with the associated cost). If you have a large group this may be fine, but for a smaller/medium sized group like ours, it's a total waste. In recent trips the CM attendant has offered to get individual items from certain restaurants, although your mileage may vary here. If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of the "platter" menu. They may have changed this by now, but it was like this as of April 2018.

For locations, here's a map of the TL offerings. I like shacks 9-12. #7 & #8 are more exposed to a heavily traveled path and your business is sort of "out there" for all to see when walking by. 9-12 are very secluded and the central location to the park is nice. 1-6 are "off to the side" a bit but are peaceful/quiet, just not as much of a central location.

Hope that helps!

TL Cabanas & Umbrellas.JPG

In April we went to Disney with my parents. My father absolutely needs shade and so does my daughter. We "splurged" on the water park day - we took a Minnie Van to and from our resort and rented two umbrellas. Both were the best decisions for us. I don't remember the exact cost, but I believe they were around $30/40? We were given towels to use. My favorite part was the separation from the mass of humanity. The umbrellas were in a roped off section and we had plenty of space for ourselves and belongings. Both Papa and our daughter took a nap in the shade. So for us 1. needed shade 2. separate from mass of humanity 3. didn't want to jokey for a shadey spot.
That being said - we went to TL and there were these 'huts' in the general section. Like four poles and a thatched roof. I'm sure they'd supply shade too, but those spots were grabbed up FAST. I didn't want to rope drop a water park Other good decision for us - minnie van. We didn't have a car adn taking Disney transportation to a water park is a pain.
Have fun!!
PS - get the ice cream sundae that comes in a bucket! fed the six of us :)

Pretty sure towels are now free for any on property guest. Not 100% sure, as we stay off property and bring our own, but reasonably sure, so that perk is available to anyone. As for having your stuff taken, that can and will happen anywhere, regardless of whether you pay for an umbrella or use a free one.

Pretty sure towels are now free for any on property guest. Not 100% sure, as we stay off property and bring our own, but reasonably sure, so that perk is available to anyone.

You're correct, towels are free to WDW resort guests. They changed this a few years ago.

We get the umbrella chairs every time we go to the water parks. We have them already booked for 2 days in June at 74.55 per day. I love the quieter area and having a home base. I can't say how fast they book up because I always book really early.

I am finding this post fascinating. We have never been to either of the waterparks, but I would honestly like to know: Is there seriously no umbrella cover or shade for guests unless they pay extra for it?!?

If so, that's absolutely ridiculous. Even my local water park (definitely not state of the art by any means) has massive umbrellas and shade everywhere to cover the lounge chairs. No extra $$ necessary -and the initial ticket cost is certainly much less than Disney's.

I am finding this post fascinating. We have never been to either of the waterparks, but I would honestly like to know: Is there seriously no umbrella cover or shade for guests unless they pay extra for it?!?

If so, that's absolutely ridiculous. Even my local water park (definitely not state of the art by any means) has massive umbrellas and shade everywhere to cover the lounge chairs. No extra $$ necessary -and the initial ticket cost is certainly much less than Disney's.
Hahaha...no...there are definitely umbrellas and shade that are free...what we are talking about are the premium options where you can reserve an umbrella and chairs that comes with some extra bennies and/or the cabanas/shacks that also come with extra bennies. :-b

Hahaha...no...there are definitely umbrellas and shade that are free...what we are talking about are the premium options where you can reserve an umbrella and chairs that comes with some extra bennies and/or the cabanas/shacks that also come with extra bennies. :-b
Ah, makes much more sense! Seemed rather crazy that you would have to pay extra for shade...

We splurged on a cabana at Typhoon Lagoon last March. We were there from open to close, used the drinks and water and towels abundantly and had a great attendant who took care of us. We are a family of five and loved having a home base. Plus, I was 32 weeks pregnant. For us, it was worth every penny.

Be VERY careful as WDW do not have "Cabanas" They have "Shacks" and "Patios" we learned this the hard way.
The cost for us was $220 and we got a "Polar Patio" at BB.
This had a wooden floor and an umbrella - that was it! It was not a cabana and WDW do not advertise them as cabanas. We were so bummed out as it was useless and a complete waste of money, this was the one and only time I have ever complained about anything at WDW. We were given 1/2 our money back and tickets to the water park credited to our MDE so we can use them next trip.
The service was also not great.
We would have been way better off just getting a nice shaded spot by ourselves.
Now, the cabanas at Discovery Cove - those are worth the money!

We paid for an umbrella at both water parks. BEST "extra" money we spent! The privacy was totally worth it for us. #24 spot at TL is a great umbrella location. It's right above the wave pool and near the best quick service.

The umbrella was perfect for our family; didn't see a need to pay $300 more for a cabana. But, each family is different with their own needs and preferences.

I don't remember the exact cost, but I believe they were around $30/40? We were given towels to use. My favorite part was the separation from the mass of humanity. The umbrellas were in a roped off section and we had plenty of space for ourselves and belongings. Both Papa and our daughter took a nap in the shade. So for us 1. needed shade 2. separate from mass of humanity 3. didn't want to jokey for a shadey spot.

PS - get the ice cream sundae that comes in a bucket! fed the six of us :)

Can anyone who has been there recently confirm this price for the umbrellas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter