Watching Frozen in Japan

Ebiten

TDR Fan
Hello,

In a strange coincidence, I will be in Japan when they are premiering the movie Frozen. I have never been to a movie theater in Japan so it will be an interesting experience. The problem I am having is the ticketing system in Japan. As my Japanese reading comprehension isn't the best, I don't have a clear understanding of the ticketing system from Disney Japan's website.

http://www.disney.co.jp/movies/anayuki/ticket/index.html

There are movie theaters that are marked with movie ticket card and others marked with national ticket (or something close to it as that is what Google translate gave me). I wanted to visit the TOHO Cinemas Roppongi Hills movie theater but it's a movie ticket card. Based on the website, it looks like a movie ticket card is how I can reserve seating for a movie and national ticket is one I can just buy at the theater itself. Does that mean I can't buy a regular ticket if I just go to Roppongi on the day of the premier, March 14? I can't get a movie ticket card as I need to register using a Japanese email (docomo, vodaphone, etc)

It just so happens the 14th the of every month is also "Toho Cinema Day" where tickets are 1000 yen vs the standard 1800 yen. So I'm thinking I should be able to get a ticket, even if it is premier day as it's during a workday, assuming I can get a regular ticket.

The movie comes out in 3D and 2D. Is it worth it to watch in 3D?

Did anyone else have a experience like this and share with me how they went through it? Thank you.

Both "Nation-wide" and "Movie Ticket card" are pre-sale tickets. They can only be purphased before the premier of the movie. A lot of people buy them becuase they are discounted (normal 1800yen, vs 1300yen or 1400yes for pre-sale). But you can still show up at the theater and get the tickets if seats are still available. 3/14 is Friday, but it's the begining of the Spring break so there is a possibility that it may be busy even during the day, I suggest checking their website for available times and remaining seats info. http://hlo.tohotheater.jp/net/schedule/009/TNPI2000J01.do

I only watched Frozen in 2D so I can't asnwer the 2D vs 3D question...

Here's a quick run down of how I was able to watch Frozen in Japan.

Checked Kinezo's website since the 11th but tickets for the 14th didn't appear until the 12th. There was different show times and I chose the matinee showtime which was 1200 yen vs the normal 1800 yen. Bought my ticket online on the morning of the 12th with a credit card and was able to reserve a seat in the middle section. Got my reservation number in my email.

On the 14th I go to Wald 9 about 30 minutes before the showtime. On the first floor is where I printed out my ticket from a machine where the choices were either you had a reservation or you were purchasing a ticket, the display was in Japanese and English. Clicked on reservation and went to my email where I clicked on the link in my email to pop up my reservation information with a QR code and scanned the QR code in a area to the top right of the main screen where my information popped up which I confirmed and a ticket popped out.

Rode the elevator up to the 9th floor to get a tofu soft serve, draft beer, and deep fried vegetables. It's pretty interesting the way the beer and fried vegetables are served in a container to prevent spillage.

The took the escalators in the movie theater up to the 13th floor. The previous show just ended so I needed to wait while they cleaned up a bit. Ate my soft serve while I waited as it was melting. I'm not sure why I was expecting much flavor from tofu soft serve but it was smooth to eat at least. The cone cup stayed nice and crispy even after soft serve melted.

Went to my reserved seating and watched the movie.

I was expecting it to be dubbed in Japanese but it was in English with Japanese subtitles. I'm pretty sure it was dubbed in Japanese and shown in theaters but for some reason mine was subbed. I didn't realize it was subbed until I the movie started then I looked through Kinezo to find out it subbed along with other showings and didn't notice it on my ticket either. I just assumed it was dubbed based on the previews. I didn't see it mentioned being subbed either when I got the ticket unless I just missed it. The movie didn't seem to get much reaction except for a few parts showing Olaf's comedic side, not sure if it's because the subs didn't translate as well based on what I could read. Maybe if it was dubbed there would have been more reaction. Sometimes it was so quiet during certain scenes I bet I could hear a pin drop.

Olaf's song was pretty interesting to hear dubbed when I saw it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtCP-8thw0

I enjoyed the fried vegetables which went excellent with the beer.

There were a couple Frozen displays in the theater. First is this "crystal tree."

There was also a interactive display where you could "make snow" on a upper level you can take the stairs up to.

The IdolM@ster movie started showing before and they had these cardboard cutouts with autographs I thought was interesting.

There was some Frozen merchandise on sale at the little store in the theater along with other movie merchandise showing at the time.

Overall a great and easy experience. I hope this thread can be used for other people who also want to watch a movie in Japan while on their trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter