Watching Avatar before Pandora- what age is ok?

jina

DIS Veteran
DH and I saw Avatar in the theater ages ago. DD8 has never seen it. Should we watch it together before our visit? I read common sense media says 13+ and reviews say 11+. I’m ok w a few swear words and can ffwd past battles if they are too long- but I honestly don’t remember enough of the story to decide. Will having seen it enhance her enjoyment of Pandora?

Thanks!

We watched it with our 7 year old. There’s a lot of violence. That’s the main issue. I don’t find it worse than the Star Wars movies that my son has also watched lol. He’s the third kid with two teenage siblings so...

Following along. I have 7 and 9 year old boys. We are going to be at WDW and Pandora in April. Same as OP I saw it in theaters ages ago. My kids have watched Star Wars and all the Harry Potter so they can handle monsters, battles, etc. Wondering how many and what are the swears?

I can't remember what specific "swear words" were in it, but they start in about the first minute of the movie, so you'll find out quick enough. If you're on the fence, why not just watch it yourself first and then decide? I think 8 is too young, but everyone's different. It's not intended for children... I don't think mine would really enjoy it even if I let them watch it.

DS has seen it, I had not.
I was going to watch before we went but decided to purposely not.
This way we had two completely different views of the land.

Well, I loved the land and the fantasy of it and thought not seeing did not overall hinder me.
I really didn't get the whole river ride and what the point was, and it's lack of Navi ...
But DS said the same exact thing having seen the movie, kinda pointless.
We both felt we should have had a river guide, even if just a voice, to explain all.
It is stunning and beautiful but I wouldn't wait in a long line for it.

I knew going in, and still hold by my thoughts .... that the lack of Navi in the land ...
really does diminish the experience, and makes me feel like they are all dead. :sad1:
I've been to it three times now, and I just feel like it's a mystical land and
there really is no story because there is no "life" just plants etc.

So my feeling is for younger children ... if they see the movie, then get to the land,
and see no Navi, they may have that same feeling as I had ....
... so not sure I would show them for that reason, on top of the more adult language etc.
Kids can have that expectation, I deal with that with my other DS (disabled),
once he sees a movie, there is the expectation that it will be more literal, rather than implied.

PS I have since tried to watch it twice and don't make it too far
because it quickly became hokie and cheezy ..
... one of these days I'll make it further and maybe get to some decent stuff.

thanks all. I guess I'll not go out of my way to see it, but if we have an opportunity maybe we'll watch the beginning and leave it at that - that is the only part I actually remember anyway - the beauty of Pandora. We don't have too much time to watch TV/movies these days, and have been trying to get in a Star Wars movie every couple of weeks, so I guess we'll stick to watching those for now as DD8 has been having fun watching those. We've seen episodes 4-6 and 1 so far. I had seen 4-6 when they were in the theaters, it's been fun watching the "new" ones made this millennium :-).

After watching for the first time a few weeks before our trip, I decided my 8 year old was definitely not old enough to see it. I did find a few clips on youtube that were appropriate and showed him those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter