Was the original game room and food "court" in the Contemporary in the basement?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I stayed in the Contemporary in 1988 and 1989 as a kid. I recall hanging in the game room and the food "court" being next to it. I feel like it was in the basement or ground level ? Can anyone tell me where it was, if I am remembering right and what the name of the eatery was in those years?

We were there in 1987, and like you, I remember a huge game room with a food court kind of place next to it. Yes, I think I remember it being on the lowest floor, the basement. Gee, I don't remember the name of that eatery-hopefully someone else does. But I vaguely remember that the game room had some distinction-was it the size?

We were there in 1987, and like you, I remember a huge game room with a food court kind of place next to it. Yes, I think I remember it being on the lowest floor, the basement. Gee, I don't remember the name of that eatery-hopefully someone else does. But I vaguely remember that the game room had some distinction-was it the size?

I do recall it was large. I have pictures of us playing ping pong and air hockey. I remember using meal credits to purchase some food. It was a great trip with fun memories but trying to place where it actually was and WHAT is there now??

I do recall it was large. I have pictures of us playing ping pong and air hockey. I remember using meal credits to purchase some food. It was a great trip with fun memories but trying to place where it actually was and WHAT is there now??
I was told it is where the Wave (when I asked the front desk in November) is now but that isn't what I recall.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.07.13 PM.png

I guess this is it, seems all sites say it was where the Wave was. I really thought it was in the basement but I guess first floor makes sense. Food and Fun Center and it was 24 hrs (Which I do recall that and found that amazing)

It was still down there in 99 at least. I remember it distinctly as we were there for New Year’s Eve 99-00 and my girlfriend and I wanted a fancy dinner but our other friends couldn’t afford it so we, begrudgingly, ate at the “Food and Fun Center”.

Great post!!! I thought of this because I have such fond memories of the CR, but I won't choose to stay there now because it seems too busy and noisy to me. So I thought back and it made me realize the changes that have occurred.

Great post!!! I thought of this because I have such fond memories of the CR, but I won't choose to stay there now because it seems too busy and noisy to me. So I thought back and it made me realize the changes that have occurred.

Epcot was a level 4 shut down that day, and MK wasn't far behind. It was nuts but fun. We walked over to the Contemporary from MK to get a real drink and take a break from the crowds.

from wdwmagic

"Guests arrived at Walt Disney World so early that capacity conditions were declared at Epcot at 7:49 a.m. (a record), limiting entry after that time to resort guests and holders of multi-day tickets and annual passes. The Magic Kingdom followed suit at 12:40 p.m., then Disney-MGM Studios at 1:34 p.m."

Epcot was a level 4 shut down that day, and MK wasn't far behind. It was nuts but fun. We walked over to the Contemporary from MK to get a real drink and take a break from the crowds.

from wdwmagic

"Guests arrived at Walt Disney World so early that capacity conditions were declared at Epcot at 7:49 a.m. (a record), limiting entry after that time to resort guests and holders of multi-day tickets and annual passes. The Magic Kingdom followed suit at 12:40 p.m., then Disney-MGM Studios at 1:34 p.m."

I remember that day well. I was working at Epcot and came in after noon (worked the closing shift) and had to fight my way through the crowds to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter