Was I Being a Germaphobe?

Pretty much the same here-but, I’ll one-up you and state- my mom used to thaw out raw meat on the counter, too!

Wait, we’re not supposed to do that? I let meat thaw on the counter all the time. We’re not constantly sick so I guess I’m doing something right.

I never let it 100% thaw. I get it when it’s still cold to the touch but thawed enough to cook. Then it goes in the fridge til I’m ready to cook it.

Same. I've been thawing frozen meat on the counter for decades. So did my mother and grandmother. No one ever died or even got sick.

I'll gross people out a little more. A few times I caught the cat licking the meat while it was thawing.

We've always thrown meat that needs to thaw in the fridge. What would be the benefit of setting on the counter and not the fridge?

I eat rare meat, raw cookie dough and thaw meat on the counter occasionally.

Me too.

Our home is air conditioned and comfortable during the day.

Meat doesn't thaw in the refrigerator in just one day for me. So I do put it in a dish to thaw. It's still cold when I come home, but thawed.

Honestly if those are your concerns just having a child play organized team sports is probably also a worry since those nose picking and butt wiping kids will be touching the same ball as your kid. Then your kid might wipe the dirt from his/her face or touch the cap of his/her water bottle before drinking. Communal chips should be the least of your worries in this situation.

Nope, no worries here about playing sports. Kids are involved in all kinds of sports. We just follow basic hygiene which includes hand washing before eating, and after using the bathroom. Can pick up germs anywhere, at grocery store, school (talk about a germ fest!), library etc. Really anywhere. Just be aware and use basic hygiene. That's it.

As I said, I am immunocompromised so I have to be diligent. I am more careful than the average person. I wish I didn't have to be, but I do. I'm not crouching in a corner afraid of the big bad world. Thats not it at all. Just basic hygiene. Thats all.

Which part, though?

BTW - awesome profile pic!! Love me some Supernatural!

I get washing hands before meal prep. Even during if you're touching raw meat. But washing hands after coming home and no sharing drinks? That kind of thing never occurred to me. A little exposure to germs really is a good thing. It helps build the immune system.

And thanks about my profile pic :thumbsup2

I vote germaphobe. Especially since no one else was bothered. My kids are grown now and there have always been big bags of chips at school and sports events. Don't know anyone who has ever become ill. Kids need to be exposed to a few germs in order to build up an immune system.

You don’t know any children who ever experienced a stomach bug? Interesting! It’s spread fecal to oral.

I’m not a germaphobe per se, but do always wash my hands with soap and water before eating, or after handling money, or after a trip to the grocery store or whatever, but I wouldn’t have thought about not reaching in and getting some chips. Oh, almost forgot, wash my hands after going to the bathroom too.

Last edited:
Usually chips at a picnic type thing are plain chips or doritos and I am not a fan of either so I'd not take any. But my kids would and I'd let them.

Just scaring away those pesky people who've been hinting for an invitation to one of my chic soirees.
{{sigh}} I didn't say I wouldn't eat it, just that I didn't prefer it. I wouldn't turn down your $100/lb Kobe filet for a little thing like that. We're still on for Friday, right?
(Oh and BTW $100/lb is the price for the generic yellow-label kind.)

Your cell phone has more germs that a community bag of chips. I would have no problem eating them or letting my kids eat them.

Eh, I'm not too sure about that. Germs from likely one hand on a cell-phone vs germs from multiple hands. Even if the cell phone owner never washed their hands, it would still be better than germs from 10 people who may or may not have washed their hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter