Was I Being a Germaphobe?

I wouldn't have thought twice about it in the moment, but I don't think you're a germaphobe for noticing or for how you responded. I'm just weirdly inconsistent when it comes to that kind of thing. I wipe off my cart at the grocery store and use a pen to touch elevator buttons, but don't think twice about using the atm or gas station card keypads. :confused3

My daughter had a Little League event today that included a free lunch afterwards of subs, chips and water. When we got to the food line I saw that the chips were being served as opened bags (like large Costco or Family style size) laid horizontally on the table. No tongs. There were like 4-5 choices and each person though the line reached in and grabbed their chips to put on their plate.

The event was for children ages 4-6 and their families following playing a game. No bathrooms that I saw or hand sanitizer stations if you are wondering about that. I’d estimate a crowd of 200 people.

I promised my kids there would be chips so I bought them 2 individual snack sized bags from a small concession stand that had a few items for sale.

I just couldn’t bring myself to grab the chips being served after seeing all the kids jamming their hands into these big bags. But apparently I was the only one concerned because everyone had piles of chips on their plates.

WWYD?
I am with you. That set-up was very unsanitary. 200 unwashed hands touching those chips. No thanks.

My dad worked as a food inspector for 20+ years. Hands in a chip bag are nothing.

You have no idea what goes on in restaurants the many days the health food inspector is not present.

My dad has walked in on people shoulder, yes I said shoulder, deep in a giant bowl mixing coleslaw with their arms. Periodically stopping to rake the coleslaw off their arms back into the bowl and then mixing some more.

Yum!
:scared1:

Pretty much the same here-but, I’ll one-up you and state- my mom used to thaw out raw meat on the counter, too!

Wait, we’re not supposed to do that? I let meat thaw on the counter all the time. We’re not constantly sick so I guess I’m doing something right.

I never let it 100% thaw. I get it when it’s still cold to the touch but thawed enough to cook. Then it goes in the fridge til I’m ready to cook it.

Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one! I didn't start getting grossed out about it until one time I realized I was the only one who would carefully pour chips onto a plate instead of reaching in. It's fine between immediate family members, but large gatherings - heck no.

I also have a container of hand wipes in my car for after going into supermarkets, stores, etc but handwashing after we get home. Also no sharing drinks, even with close family members. Handwashing before meal prep, during, and after. But none of that, IMO, makes me a germaphobe. I thought it was just normal.
It is normal.

No - it would have bothered me as well - individual bags are not tha expensive - a box of 50 runs at .38 cents each

I would have had a LONG chat with those in charge about it

What would you have said? Next time you bring free food for my whole family I need you to upgrade to individual bags?
I get skipping the chips if it bothers you, but getting on someone’s case for not providing free food to suit your tastes seems really insulting.

What would you have said? Next time you bring free food for my whole family I need you to upgrade to individual bags?
I get skipping the chips if it bothers you, but getting on someone’s case for not providing free food to suit your tastes seems really insulting.

It’s a sanitary issue - and in this day in age where people are so ‘sue happy’ I would be doing anything to help prevent that

Plus, I run the local farmers market and if a group was trying to do this, free or not, I would shut them down instantly -⎌he market itself could get shut down and fined for it.

Another whole topic, I know, but people really need to think before doing something like that

I'm very much a germaphobe in the winter during cold/flu season. But not so much in the summer. It wouldn't worry me a bit unless I know someone in the group was sick or something was going around in our area.

However as I said, during cold/flu season, our family is constantly washing, sanitizing etc. Esp dd as she's on strong meds for JRA.

Was there ever any incident that made you feel like that? I'm really curious about my own son; I'm not aware of any major gross-out, at least not on my watch. :confused3 Around early adolescence he just started to get more and more sensitive to it. To be honest, we didn't take his feelings very seriously at first. Gradually though we've just come to respect how he's comfortable since I suppose it's not a unreasonable boundary for a person to set for themselves. For a while I was keeping my eyes open to make sure it didn't seem like he was getting obsessive/compulsive about it.
I fully admit I have “issues” with food. I’m sure something happened in my childhood that I don’t remember. I will say I try not to expose my kids to my “issues”.

I would be more concerned about the kids who reach in after picking their nose, sneezing into their hand, or wiping after a bowel movement and not washing. To each their own!

Honestly if those are your concerns just having a child play organized team sports is probably also a worry since those nose picking and butt wiping kids will be touching the same ball as your kid. Then your kid might wipe the dirt from his/her face or touch the cap of his/her water bottle before drinking. Communal chips should be the least of your worries in this situation.

Wait, we’re not supposed to do that? I let meat thaw on the counter all the time. We’re not constantly sick so I guess I’m doing something right.

I never let it 100% thaw. I get it when it’s still cold to the touch but thawed enough to cook. Then it goes in the fridge til I’m ready to cook it.
I eat rare meat, raw cookie dough and thaw meat on the counter occasionally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!