Warning- daily safety and security room check

If you don't mind me asking, when is your trip scheduled? We're wanting to go in April, but I'm waiting to see if the issues continue. Your report would be very helpful if before April!

We are going in a few weeks. I will definitely report our experience. We schedule fastpasses roughly about the same time each day (mid morning) but I plan to call daily.

I should add that we are DVC. I would hope that the calls to schedule daily trash removal for a DVC stay work the same as a room check/housekeeping visit but we will find out. We will use the RO sign and the safety latch when we are in the room at all times.

We're also going in a few weeks. SSR from October 10-17. Our last stay was uninterrupted - hoping for the same this time.

Karen, here is the earlier post about what to do to arrange room check/housekeeping visits:

I am really glad I did. After the call it dawned on me that I did not include my phone number in the email, so they must have taken the time to look up my information based on my email address. I am impressed they took the time to do that on a Sunday and get back to me within two hours of sending my email. I have never felt compelled to write a company before. However, the perspective of a solo, or woman traveling alone with children really bothered me, and was making me rethink the possibility of a solo trip.

I also believe this policy could be used by someone with ill-intent to gain access to someones room.

This is what I would urge everyone to do, but especially solo's and women alone with children.

When in your room ALWAYS keep the latch engaged.

Emma told me if you are not comfortable opening your door, to please call security and tell them someone is knocking on your door and you want to verify their identity. They will send security to your room.

She assured me the safety and comfort of their guest is of the utmost importance to them and they are still working out the kinks. Report any misuse of this policy, i.e. failure to identify themselves, entering room without sufficient knocking or warning, or anything you deem inappropriate. I would not only report to resort management, but also send an email to the executives.

I sent an individual email to everyone on the list you posted around 12:30pm today. I decided not to CC everyone because I thought it had a better chance of being overlooked. Kind of like “I’ll let the next guy deal with it” sort of thing. LOL I did not expect to hear back from anyone today, except perhaps in the form of a form letter thanking me for contacting them.

Imagine my surprise when I got a call just two hours later from Emma. She said she was calling from the executive office of George Kalogridis.

I was trying to write down everything she told me so I will do the best I can with what I caught and what I remember. She was a fast talker! Lol

She thanked me for writing to him and told me that he reads his email and wanted his office to reach out to me to address my concerns. She assured me that they take the security of all of their guests very seriously.

When I asked her a question, she did put me on hold to clarify that she was giving me the most up to date and correct information because she said the policy is different for DVC members.

She said that if you opt out of Mousekeeping for your stay, or even one day, you will get the security checks for those days.

Mousekeeping counts as a check.

If you are uncomfortable with random checks, she said there is a number on the “Room Occupied” sign to call and schedule a time for your check. She said this is a recent change and if the information or number isn’t on your card yet to contact resort management.

She said that security will knock three times before entering a room.

She stressed the fact that they understand the point of view of a solo or woman traveling alone with children. She said if you are not comfortable, for whatever reason, opening your door, call security and they will come to check it out.

She also said they are constantly looking for ways to make this policy better for their guests.

I really appreciated that she took the time to call me on a Sunday to address my concerns.

And this was daisyLuv’s previous post

And this was daisyLuv’s previous post
Thank you! Actually, I've followed this whole threadt, but I don't really trust that they will do what they say or that it will be easy (such as reaching the front desk & scheduling, etc.); with serious health issues that could go downhill fast if we don't have the midday nap uninterrupted, it could ruin a trip that costs thousands of dollars & that we've saved years for. So, I'll appreciate reading of your experiences!

Last edited:
I travel to Disney often and always stay on site, we have never had these checks because we simply call the day we arrive and request mousekeeping at an approx. time each day. We have been successful with this and have never been interrupted in the afternoon.

Call and request morning service if you want to break in the afternoon. Our room has always been cleaned mid morning when we are at the parks. My dd and I travel together and this works so well for us. Call like I said and then also leave a note of thanks for coming in the morning! This has worked great so far and we have been at least 7 times since the security checks were implemented.

I travel to Disney often and always stay on site, we have never had these checks because we simply call the day we arrive and request mousekeeping at an approx. time each day. We have been successful with this and have never been interrupted in the afternoon.

Call and request morning service if you want to break in the afternoon. Our room has always been cleaned mid morning when we are at the parks. My dd and I travel together and this works so well for us. Call like I said and then also leave a note of thanks for coming in the morning! This has worked great so far and we have been at least 7 times since the security checks were implemented.

Thanks for posting. It’s really helpful to hear that calling has worked for you this many times since they started the policy. Others have said they did not get disturbed, but I think your post may be the first one I remember reading where you called and arranged the time. Did you call housekeeping, the front desk, or another number?

Did you call housekeeping, the front desk, or another number?

I always called the housekeeping button on the room phone, however the phones have changed some, in August I had to call the button called guest services, no more housekeeping button on that phone at GF. It still worked the same. :thumbsup2

We just stayed at both Jambo and Kidani (split stay) last week. We had no issues with this security/housekeeping check. They nicely came mid-morning and asked for our trash for the day and that was it.

Did the same other days even when weren't in room and was seamless.

We are going in a few weeks. I will definitely report our experience. We schedule fastpasses roughly about the same time each day (mid morning) but I plan to call daily.

I should add that we are DVC. I would hope that the calls to schedule daily trash removal for a DVC stay work the same as a room check/housekeeping visit but we will find out. We will use the RO sign and the safety latch when we are in the room at all times.
We will be doing the same thing for our October trip. I will indicate at check in that we want a scheduled visit during the afternoon hours during a certain time frame, guess you need to specify about a 2 hour window(?) :confused:when we will be at the parks. Hopefully, it will be seamless!:wizard:::yes::

We stayed at Pop for 9 days in March. We opted out of housekeeping and took the gift card (bonus! I always opt out of daily housekeeping anyway). I didn't know about the daily checks at the time, but I did notice the change to the do not disturb signs. I HATE THIS NEW POLICY! We were never in the room when they did their checks, but I could tell that someone had been in the room every day. I admit that I have some issues because of things that have happened in the past, but I felt incredibly violated by this new room check policy. If they had come to the door when we were in the room, or if I had requested housekeeping and was expecting someone to enter I wouldn't have had a problem letting them in, but the fact that they come into the room while you are away is so disturbing to me. Yes, I realize that is an unreasonable feeling to have, but I said I have some issues. The first time it happened, some things on our table had been moved and there was a card from Mickey. I can't stress this enough for the people at Disney World--THIS IS NOT MAGICAL FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN VICTIMIZED IN THE PAST!!! Instead of reading the card, I rushed around the room checking everything. Then I started shaking.

I understand that this new policy is supposed to prevent things like the mass shooting that happened in Vegas. But I was just a newly single mom wanting to give my kids a little bit of magic after the stress of divorce, and the daily violations of my sense of security made the trip a lot less magical for me. I used to love living in the Disney Bubble for the duration of our trip, but I can't handle this new policy so I guess we will stay off-site next time.

We stayed at Pop for 9 days in March. We opted out of housekeeping and took the gift card (bonus! I always opt out of daily housekeeping anyway). I didn't know about the daily checks at the time, but I did notice the change to the do not disturb signs. I HATE THIS NEW POLICY! We were never in the room when they did their checks, but I could tell that someone had been in the room every day. I admit that I have some issues because of things that have happened in the past, but I felt incredibly violated by this new room check policy. If they had come to the door when we were in the room, or if I had requested housekeeping and was expecting someone to enter I wouldn't have had a problem letting them in, but the fact that they come into the room while you are away is so disturbing to me. Yes, I realize that is an unreasonable feeling to have, but I said I have some issues. The first time it happened, some things on our table had been moved and there was a card from Mickey. I can't stress this enough for the people at Disney World--THIS IS NOT MAGICAL FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN VICTIMIZED IN THE PAST!!! Instead of reading the card, I rushed around the room checking everything. Then I started shaking.

I understand that this new policy is supposed to prevent things like the mass shooting that happened in Vegas. But I was just a newly single mom wanting to give my kids a little bit of magic after the stress of divorce, and the daily violations of my sense of security made the trip a lot less magical for me. I used to love living in the Disney Bubble for the duration of our trip, but I can't handle this new policy so I guess we will stay off-site next time.

I understand your feelings. My house was broken into the evening before our first son was born. I have security issues too, not specifically related to Disney but we live in a different city now and have a good security system and lots of cameras. I don’t feel the least bit more secure with the new room checks. Maybe you can try to schedule them before you go out for the day, step outside, with the door open and watch the CM do the mandatory room check. It’s not ideal but I hope you can work it out if your next trip is on site. Luckily, there are many very good off site options too.

I used to love living in the Disney Bubble for the duration of our trip, but I can't handle this new policy so I guess we will stay off-site next time.
Just so you are aware, and while they do not generally exercise it (i.e., more don't than do), any hotelier has the right to enter any of its rooms at any time for any reason.

You want to call your hotel of choice directly prior to making a reservation, to discuss this. Not the toll free reservation line, the actual property.

Just so you are aware, and while they do not generally exercise it (i.e., more don't than do), any hotelier has the right to enter any of its rooms at any time for any reason.

You want to call your hotel of choice directly prior to making a reservation, to discuss this. Not the toll free reservation line, the actual property.
I understand your feelings. My house was broken into the evening before our first son was born. I have security issues too, not specifically related to Disney but we live in a different city now and have a good security system and lots of cameras. I don’t feel the least bit more secure with the new room checks. Maybe you can try to schedule them before you go out for the day, step outside, with the door open and watch the CM do the mandatory room check. It’s not ideal but I hope you can work it out if your next trip is on site. Luckily, there are many very good off site options too.
Thanks, that is a very good suggestion! I didn't know much about the policy on our last visit, now after reading these threads about the new policy, and people's experiences with it, I feel more prepared. I guess my bad feelings about the whole thing have something to do with the fact that I was made to feel powerless over the process. When I complained to the front desk, they simply rolled their eyes and told me that they WILL be checking every room, every single day. They didn't offer any adaptations or accommodations to the policy and kind of turned away from me to indicate they wouldn't be listening to my complaint anymore. I did nothing to warrant that kind of response; I didn't raise my voice, I wasn't rude, or even angry with the CM. Now, after reading these threads, I see that people can try to schedule the checks. I would have loved to have had that option offered to me.

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion! I didn't know much about the policy on our last visit, now after reading these threads about the new policy, and people's experiences with it, I feel more prepared. I guess my bad feelings about the whole thing have something to do with the fact that I was made to feel powerless over the process. When I complained to the front desk, they simply rolled their eyes and told me that they WILL be checking every room, every single day. They didn't offer any adaptations or accommodations to the policy and kind of turned away from me to indicate they wouldn't be listening to my complaint anymore. I did nothing to warrant that kind of response; I didn't raise my voice, I wasn't rude, or even angry with the CM. Now, after reading these threads, I see that people can try to schedule the checks. I would have loved to have had that option offered to me.

The scheduling of the checks is very new. And I'm not sure that it is happening in a consistent manner as of yet.

Unfortunately I have found the front desk to be less than helpful whenever I have had problems at a Disney resort. I always seem to get more help by sending an e-mail and waiting for a response. I've had them call me a few times, and then I feel listened to.

There is no excuse for the attitude you got at the front desk. I would send an email to Disney with those details. It sounds like Disney has made some adjustments to the policy since your trip in March. I believe guests have called and emailed Disney execs, maybe changes have been made in response. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I can totally relate to your feelings about this new policy. It is what prompted me to write to the Disney executives.

If you don't mind me asking, when is your trip scheduled? We're wanting to go in April, but I'm waiting to see if the issues continue. Your report would be very helpful if before April!

Hi Karen: We'll be going to WDW early December and I will report on this too. It's encouraging to read that Disney may be altering this policy.

Hi Karen: We'll be going to WDW early December and I will report on this too. It's encouraging to read that Disney may be altering this policy.
Thank you so much! Yes, we really want to go back to CBR where we fell in love 4 years ago, but if the policy doesn't become "kinder", then it will be a no-go. I hope you & all the others going will have wonderful experiences!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter