"want to watch me run a half marathon?" a february 2018 trip report! *COMPLETE*

xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
Hello & Welcome!
:welcome:

I'm Jillian!
(Grace Helbig Voice)
If you did not know now you know your life is different now!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_89ac.jpg

A little about me...

I'm 27 and a half and hail from beautiful Boston (or a suburb of the city). I work with kiddos and am training for the Princess Half Marathon! (You can read more about that in my
training journal if you so choose.) I love everything entertainment/pop culture (and Disney, duh) and spending time with my chosen niece (10 months) and nephew (5). To be honest, I'm not much of a planner so I defer to my travel buddy.

Travel Buddies

:earsgirl: Devin! We met our freshman year at college where we lived on the same floor and bonded over our love of hockey and Harry Potter. She is running with me and we've been to Disney together twice before - once on spring break and once last year for a bachelorette party. Devin is the planner - for her it's half the fun - so she is spearheading the trip (I just write about it).

Fun Fact: Devin and I are distantly related through a Mayflower ancestor.

:earsgirl:
Katie! Katie is the wife of a college buddy and the lovely bride we celebrated in February 2017. She is affectionately known as "the cruise director" or "Mom." She loves all things Belle and knows more about English history than anyone I know. It took time, but Devin and I managed to convince Katie and her husband to chEAR us on at the race!

Fun Fact: Katie and Devin and I are actually all related through that same Mayflower ancestor.

:earsboy: Todd! Todd and I met sometime freshman year and by sophomore year he had grown on us. He can be persistent in his quest for friendship, that's how he managed to become friends with us (and we love him for it now) and probably how he managed to get Katie to marry him. Their wedding was beautiful and I'm excited to have him chEAR us on!

Fun Fact: He once bet me that I couldn't go without meat for a year. I won.

How Did This Trip Come To Be?

Last year our trip for Katie's bachelorette happened to be during the Princess half marathon weekend. When we arrived, a handful of CMs asked if we were running and we said no. The more I saw people take photos of their medals, the more green I turned with envy. ::yes:: (That's how green I was.) I decided there and then that I would run a future Princess Half.

As registration day neared, I began to talk to my cousin (she lives in Florida) and discussed running with her (she would need her mom's permission, though, as she's 17 and a senior in high school). When the half sold out before we could get a bib, we looked into running a charity race but she wanted to focus on her school's dance marathon.

That didn't deter me, though! I wanted to run, and I figured even if she didn't run with me, she could come and watch. I didn't mind running alone - I just didn't want to do a solo trip. That's when I texted Devin.

"Hey Devin, want to come watch me run the Princess Half in February?"
"... [Bleep] it, I'll run it with you!"

A few days later, we were registered with the Girl Power 2 Cure team on a charity bib!

133 Days

giphy.gif

Let's get this planning party started! We have 133 days to go until arrival day, so I thought I would let you all know what we have planned so far (please feel free to chime in with any advice you have or just comments in general)! Devin and I started the planning since we knew we were going to run early on, so a lot of our ADRs are for two. Katie and Todd recently decided to come chEAR us on, so we'll try to add them to some of the ADRs and they're going to do their own thing here and there (for example, the current night before the race plan is for them to dine at Marrakesh while Devin and I find a place to carboload).

Without further ado...

QUICK FACTS
WHO: Devin, Katie, Todd & Me (Jillian)
WHAT: Princess Half Marathon 2k18
WHERE: Port Orleans Riverside
WHEN: February 22-28, 2018

WHY: Eat good food, drink good drinks, have a good time (and run 13.1 miles eek!)

HOME SWEET HOME
Devin and I decided pretty early on that we wanted to stay moderate. When I was a kid, we stayed off-site or value (with one stay at OKW). As an adult, I've stayed deluxe or moderate and quite honestly, it spoiled me. Devin and I are both working adults and even though we're still broke as a joke (college debt, being under-employed for a long time, other millennial issues like avocado toast...) we decided that if we were smart, we could make a moderate work for us. We took a look at the options, asked about runDisney/other discounts, and I did some research on race day buses. We decided that Port Orleans was our number one choice as it was "new" to both of us, but any of the moderates were OK by us. As luck had it, we ended up booking at Port Orleans Riverside!

giphy.gif

FOOD
Devin is the QUEEN and woke up early to get us dining reservations. I am the easiest person when it comes to eating. I want Mickey waffles, an ice cream sundae from Main Street, a Mickey Premium Bar, and mac and cheese. Everything else is just bonus. Devin has a peanut allergy, so she's a bit more complicated. We both love breakfast food more than anything in the world and believe that Mickey waffles are a gift to humanity. Here's what we have for ADR plans so far!

Feb 22 - Arrival Day - TBD
Feb 23 - Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom - TBD
Feb 24 - Magic Kingdom/Hollywood Studios - Crystal Palace Breakfast @ 8:20a
Feb 25 - Half Marathon/All 4 Parks - Le Cellier Dinner @ 7:05p
Feb 26 - Magic Kingdom - Cinderella's Royal Table Breakfast @ 8:00a & Be Our Guest Dinner @ 7:05p
Feb 27 - Epcot - Rose & Crown Dinner @ 6:
35p
Feb 28 - Departure Day - Trattoria Al Forno Breakfast @ 8:05a

We're thinking of adding in a Beaches & Cream Lunch or Dinner somewhere on Arrival or Departure Day. We will very likely drink around the world. We're also thinking that we'll grab something in Disney Springs at some point. As you can see, there are no lunch reservations. We'll probably just do quick service or snacks between breakfast and dinner. Most mornings we'll also be grabbing breakfast at the hotel dining hall because it's cheap and easy. Race day we'll do something in the room and post-race I'm having one of Gaston's buns.

giphy.gif

So! That's what we have so far. I think that Christmas is our FP day. Devin has a list of our priorities for each day (I told you - she's the planner. She has spreadsheets and lists. I just text her back with the thumbs up and celebrating emojis and thank her). and will probably be the one to book the passes because she is wonderful like that.

I'll be sure to let you know if we update anything. Right now we're tracking flights so that we can hopefully book when it's low- that will probably happen next. Then FP day, and then we travel! Ahhh! I am so excited!

Joining in. Y'all will be there a couple of days the same as we are. Currently planning 18th - 23rd (or 24th)

87 Days

giphy.gif

Hi everyone! This is just a very quick update so you don't think that I've totally disappeared from the face of the Earth. We finally bought our tickets, and I wanted to chat about that realllll quick.

We took a look at the prices on the Disney website so we knew what we were looking to spend at MOST for a 5 day hopper. Then we went to Undercover Tourist and looked at their prices. And then my neighbor brought over a chart from AAA that had another price. As of last week, AAA had the best deal, but this weekend Undercover Tourist had a Black Friday sale that had the price dip below the AAA price, so... we booked!

I officially have bought & linked to my WDW Experience app a 5 day hopper! It's real now!

We also have a fifth traveler joining us!

:earsgirl: Vic! Vic and I met through Katie and Todd, as they were all great friends growing up! Vic was Katie's maid of honor and thus joined us on the bachelorette weekend trip. She is a chef and introduces us to the most incredible foods!

To Do List

- Flights
- FP+

Last edited:
87 Days

giphy.gif

Hi everyone! This is just a very quick update so you don't think that I've totally disappeared from the face of the Earth. We finally bought our tickets, and I wanted to chat about that realllll quick.

We took a look at the prices on the Disney website so we knew what we were looking to spend at MOST for a 5 day hopper. Then we went to Undercover Tourist and looked at their prices. And then my neighbor brought over a chart from AAA that had another price. As of last week, AAA had the best deal, but this weekend Undercover Tourist had a Black Friday sale that had the price dip below the AAA price, so... we booked!

I officially have bought & linked to my WDW Experience app a 5 day hopper! It's real now!

We also have a fifth traveler joining us!

:earsgirl: Vic! Vic and I met through Katie and Todd, as they were all great friends growing up! Vic was Katie's maid of honor and thus joined us on the bachelorette weekend trip. She is a chef and introduces us to the most incredible foods!

To Do List

- Flights
- FP+
Are you on the mousesavers newsletter? Sometimes they'll have deals on tickets also. I just found out about AAA having discounted prices and I've been a AAA member for ages. :sad2: DVC also had an offer for 7 days for 5 day price, but 7 days is a waste for us...we typically do one day at park one day at resort rotation to keep from wearing ourselves out.

Are you on the mousesavers newsletter? Sometimes they'll have deals on tickets also. I just found out about AAA having discounted prices and I've been a AAA member for ages. :sad2: DVC also had an offer for 7 days for 5 day price, but 7 days is a waste for us...we typically do one day at park one day at resort rotation to keep from wearing ourselves out.

I am not on the newsletter. I ought to sign up if I'm going to be going to Disney as often as I suddenly am. I also just found out about AAA's deal! Which is annoying because we've always been AAA members. Seven also wouldn't work for my friends for this trip, but maybe a future, longer trip... I think that a resort day is a must for longer trips, but on my shorter trips I want as much park time as I can get.

83 Days

giphy.gif

Another quick update! Devin and I booked our flights down and back! We've been watching Devin's flight app + the google flights flight tracker so that we could book as cheap as we could! Well, prices dropped below $400 yesterday so we booked at $320 round trip! We're super excited to be on JetBlue, flying out at 6 am and flying home around 5 pm. Different times gave us slightly better deals, but we wanted decent times, too.

6 am doesn't SOUND like a decent time, but my mom has to get into work fairly early - she's usually at work by 7:30 - so the night before I'll pick Devin up and we'll stay at my place and my Mom will drive us to the airport. We won't have bags to check so we can probably get there around 5 am and make it through security fast enough and be on time. Then my mom will head to work and be there early so she can leave early!

Woo! That's a big thing DONE.

To Do List

- FP+

60 Days

giphy.gif

Happy FastPass day! Devin did a great job again because she does a great job all the time and we got all but one of the FP we wanted.

This is what we were aiming for:

• 2/23: Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari
  • 2/24: Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Star Tours
  • 2/25: Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's Flight
  • 2/26: Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain
  • 2/27: Frozen Ever After, Spaceship Earth, Mission Space
We got everything except for Flight of Passage, so the current plan will be to rope drop Flight of Passage before our 10:something Navi FP.

That's not bad at all! Since Devin is a rockstar planner for doing all the early mornings and heavy lifting and being crazy enough to run the half with me and I owe her some money from a wedding, I'm going to buy Memory Maker before we leave! That way we get all of our fun photos and I can add our bibs + my friend Jenna's bib to the Memory Maker for race photos! Such a great deal!

To Do List

- Buy Memory Maker

60 Days

giphy.gif

Happy FastPass day! Devin did a great job again because she does a great job all the time and we got all but one of the FP we wanted.

This is what we were aiming for:

• 2/23: Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari
  • 2/24: Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Star Tours
  • 2/25: Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's Flight
  • 2/26: Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain
  • 2/27: Frozen Ever After, Spaceship Earth, Mission Space
We got everything except for Flight of Passage, so the current plan will be to rope drop Flight of Passage before our 10:something Navi FP.

That's not bad at all! Since Devin is a rockstar planner for doing all the early mornings and heavy lifting and being crazy enough to run the half with me and I owe her some money from a wedding, I'm going to buy Memory Maker before we leave! That way we get all of our fun photos and I can add our bibs + my friend Jenna's bib to the Memory Maker for race photos! Such a great deal!

To Do List

- Buy Memory Maker

I can empathize...we got everything except FOP also. :sad2:
You'll be there at the tail end of our trip...we're 18th - 24th.

We couldn’t get FoP for our last trip either. Hoping if I make it our last day on the next trip we’ll grab one!

I can empathize...we got everything except FOP also. :sad2:
You'll be there at the tail end of our trip...we're 18th - 24th.

Have a fun trip! Hopefully you'll either find some FOP fast passes or can rope drop!

We couldn’t get FoP for our last trip either. Hoping if I make it our last day on the next trip we’ll grab one!

Crossing my fingers that you can get a FP for it! I have to start figuring out our rope drop plan.

Have a fun trip! Hopefully you'll either find some FOP fast passes or can rope drop!
Yeah, our plan is to rope drop...OR...
Last time we went, we sat through a DVC presentation (we already are DVC members, so looking at adding points) and they gave us anytime FPs for doing it. That's an option too if they're still offering that.

Yeah, our plan is to rope drop...OR...
Last time we went, we sat through a DVC presentation (we already are DVC members, so looking at adding points) and they gave us anytime FPs for doing it. That's an option too if they're still offering that.

I am not a DVC member (nor is that an option for me anytime soon) but if we have the time on Thursday maybe we'll try that.

8 Days

giphy.gif

Um... HOW DID WE GET TO SINGLE DIGITS SO FAST?

Oh, right. I'm bad at updating this. But I do have some updates!

First, I have some amazing people to add to the cast of characters. My Aunt Lisa and cousin Ashley will be joining us for the weekend of the half! They'll be driving from their home in Sunny Eastern Florida to Disney on Friday after school and hang with me until Sunday! The last time we were all in Disney was maybe when I was 12... 16 at the oldest.

:earsgirl: Aunt Lisa! Aunty Lisa is my mom's brother's wife and my favorite aunt (don't tell the others). She's an Italian mama who cooks the best food and loves all things Disney!

:earsgirl: Ashley! Ashley is Lisa's daughter, thus my cousin. She was born when I was 9 ½ and we are separated by four boys (my little brother and her three older brothers). She and I have our own hashtag: #thebookends
I bought Memory Maker, but I don't think I need it because Ashley and Lisa are AP holders, as is my cousin Cindy, but I'd rather have the control over the download of photos, that way I can distribute them to my friends from the trip and not have to ask my family.

Here are the plans so far:

Thursday
Fly in & check into our hotel; hit up the expo to grab bibs/packets and shop; do some pool-side lounging, maybe get a 30 minute run in; dinner at the Edison in the springs with Vic and Devin.

Friday
Animal Kingdom in the morning to rope drop FoP and then three FPs with Devin, Vic, Todd and Katie; split from my amigos and meet up with Ashley and Lisa in Magic Kingdom to see the show - a first for all three of us!

Saturday
Crystal Palace breakfast with the entire crew (I managed to get a res for four this morning thanks to that fancy reservation finder); then Hollywood Studios for some FP fun and other silliness; an early night for this princess!

Sunday
Run, baby, run - gonna kill the half with my girls Devin and Jenna; then maybe 4 parks in one day with the medals? #dreambig; dinner at Epcot at Le Cellier and I don't eat red meat.

Monday
Breakfast with the princesses in the castle; MK all day; dinner with real beast.

Tuesday
Epcot all day; drink drank drunk; dinner in the UK because I miss home and it's #goals to drink around the world then finish in the UK.

Wednesday
Bon Voyage breakfast is hurtfully on point; fly on home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!