Want to hear about what I'm making for dinner tonight?

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
It's sort of my own invention that I call Italian Stuffed Meatloaf. I don't use a recipe when I cook, I just judge, so keep that in mind.

I take 2 pounds of ground meat. I use "meatloaf mix" from my supermarket that has beef, pork and veal in it. You can use all beef if you want instead. I add 2 eggs, a couple of cloves of finely minced garlic, one small onion finely chopped, salt and pepper, and seasoned bread crumbs. I'm not sure how much bread crumbs--I judge it. You want a firm texture for this mixture. Put in about 1/2 cup and see how it is--add more if the mixture is loose until you get a firm feel to it.

I flatten the mixture out to fill a small cookie sheet and refrigerate it while I get the stuffing ready. I use one bag of frozen spinach, defrosted in the microwave, then squeezed of its liquid. I use a strainer and push clumps of it at a time against the side of the strainer with a fork. I cut 1/2 pound of mozzarella cheese into cubes and peel a couple of cloves of garlic.

I take the pan of meatloaf mixture out of the fridge, spread the spinach evenly over it. I salt and pepper it lightly, then cut the garlic in little pieces over it. Then I spread the cheese cubes on top.

Now I roll it up, jelly roll fashion, from the short side. I press together the meat wherever it separates.

I did all this last night and it's in the refrigerator now.

Tonight, I will line a cookie sheet with foil (for any cheese that drips out) and place the meatloaf in it, seam side down. I will bake it for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until it's nicely browned.

I'll serve it with brown gravy from an envelope, mashed potatoes and green beans. DH, who lives for food, loves this meal!

EXCELLENT! No need to change a thing.

However, it occurred to me that you could put other things in with the stuffing, e.g., mushrooms or sundried tomatoes. Also, I think the mozzarella worked fine, but I don't see why you couldn't do it half mozzarella/half cheddar or another combination of cheeses.

Also, I went to the trouble of making mashed potatoes, but next time, I'll just bake some potatoes at the same time as the meatloaf.

I made it for dinner tonight! Wonderful!!! I did the baked potato thing as well, and it was so nice and easy.
Everyone had seconds..Thanks for a great recipe. I can't wait to try it next time, maybe with mushrooms.
Candi:earsgirl:

I have had a version of this and I have made it before but the kind I had also in the stuffing used roasted red peppers that had been deseeded ans skinned. IT IS WONDERFULL!!! When I made it I had trouble doing the rolling up part. But this is definitely a dish everyone should do.

Janice - this sounds delicious! I'm adding it to my files - thanks for sharing it.

I think this is the first time I've posted on this board. I just wanted to say that this sounds wonderful. Also, we cook the same way. I rarely use recipes.

A tip for making the roll-up part easier---

Line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil, overlapping it on the short sides. Then press in the meatloaf mixture and add the filling (spinach and cheese). Refrigerate for a few minutes so it gets firm. Then lift the foil up and start rolling. By doing it this way, it's easier to start.

Janice, I'm trying this for dinner tonight. The only difference is that I'm using ground turkey instead of beef or the meatloaf mix. I'm just wondering what temp. to bake it at?

Well we had it for dinner tonight. Dh and I thought it was delicious. YUM! My older dd didn't like it because she decided that she doesn't like spinach. My younger one started complaining when she heard her sister doing it, but then she started to eat.

I would definitely make it again - it was nice and moist and had a great flavor. Dh and I were already deciding what else to put into the next one as a filling.

Have you ever put mashed potatoes in it?

Hi, Beth. Glad you liked it.

I've only done spinach in it, but your daughters don't like it, mashed potatoes seem like a good alternative--they're white. What is it about this generation not wanting to eat anything green?

I have thought of trying chopped broccoli. I'll let you know if I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts