Want advice from moms.

2boys'mom

Mouseketeer
I got ressies for AKL concierge to do the Sunrise Safari in September for 3nights. I have 2 and 5yo ds's. My husband can't go. My 5yo has a Monday off at Kindergarten. My 2yo loves animals. MY question is should I try to take both alone or just the 5yo. The 2yo is very active and makes mealtimes a real chore. He also needs to nap for 2 hours. I have to watch him every second. But he loves the animals. Any thoughts? I could make ressies for him and decide later I guess. The 5yo is whiney(hope this is a phase), but will help some.

Are you planning on taking both boys to the AKL or thinking about leaving your two year old home with husband? I have two boys (11 & 8) and sometimes it is really special to spend time with just one of them alone. That said, I also have a 2 year old daughter and I know how hard it is to travel with a 2 year old and keep up with my older children thru nap time, meals etc.
I would go on the safari with my oldest child and really make it a special time for the two of you.
Oh, by the way, the whining WILL stop...my sons have discovered at about age 7 that it is not "cool" to whine, my 11 year old swears he never whined and is so embarrassed when his little sister starts, its so funny!

I have 2 daughters very similar in age to your 2 children. I would take just the older child and have a blast! I understand EXACTLY what you mean about the 2-year-old making mealtimes a challenge and being difficult to schedule around.

I see it this way, you could take both children and spend most of your time PARENTING, or you could take the older child and have a wonderful time. If they are like my children, you will have much less whining if you can concentrate one on one with him.

Don't feel guilty about leaving the little one behind, maybe do something special with just him another time.

I would take them both. On our last trip, my DH got sick and I took both kids out to AK alone. Now I will admit that mine are a little older (7 and 4) but trust me that I understand the difficult meals and whiny syndrome. I am still living with it.

I guess my thought is, how do you explain the younger one that you thought they were too hard to handle? If the "competition" is as strong in your family as it is mine, the older will always say - Yeah, but Mom took me to WDW and not you.

I'm sure that whatever you decide to do will be the right decision for you. Oh, by the way, my oldest actually helped out a lot with the youngest because she heard a bunch of times - look I need you to behave and help because we don't have Daddy with us. She thought it was great.

i would take them both - we've been going since my oldest was 18mos old (her brother is two years younger) and though we've had to stop going on rides while the youngest takes a nap - we've always made the best of it & took in a show (or other activity where the youngest could sleep in the stroller) - it'll be a special time for the three of you and you won't get the feeling that you're missing your youngest (i did when my oldest & i went away for a cousin's wedding & that's why we won't go away w/o the youngest)

I keep going back and forth with this. I've also thought about taking my baby sitter with us. Then I wouldn't feel so much like I could lose one of them. It would cost more money, though. My husband would get a weekend all to himself, too. Drats! Still thinking.

Your 5 yo will remember his special time with mom if you go alone, your 2 yo won't remember the trip at all. P.S. If your husband is like mine....he wouldn't be having this dilema that we women get ourselves into!!!!

I have a 10yo DD & a 4yo DD. So after 10 yrs of parenting my advice to you would be to leave the 2yo at home if you can. The older child frequently gets "ripped-off" from the antics of the 2yo. I understand that it is hard to leave the 2yo, YOU will miss him, but if he is with dad it will be OK. I have found that splitting up from time to time is necessary for the older one. We went to Nsync last week, me and 10yo Dd, of course 4yo bemoaned the fact she couldn't go. But if she were 2 she would have never known the difference! Believe me, you will have to do this alot in the future.

If your DH were going, then I'd recommend everybody go. Since he's not, all bets are off!

Older kids spend so much time waiting on the younger ones - naps, diaper changes or frequent bathroom stops, etc. - that it's nice if they can have some one-on-one time once in a while.

I took my older two to Cedar Point this year without DH or our DS2. It was truly a bonding day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter