Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Thank you Shoreward for your experience with the rental car counter. We are thinking of renting a car when we leave WDW, so having the agency in the hotel is a big plus for us.
Their counter hours are:

Mon - Fri08:00AM - 04:00PM
Sat08:00AM - 04:00PM
Sun08:00AM - 04:00PM

We are a dedicated BC/YC family...
We used to own at BCV but finally made the switch to Swan 3-4 years ago, so I understand your hesitation. I would say staying at the Swan feels more like staying at the Boardwalk if you've ever stayed there. The walk over to the food areas at the boardwalk is easy from the Swan, too.

What is the shampoo/conditioner situation at Swan?
Swan is a Westin so the products are pretty good. Personally, I prefer the BC H2O products so I pack my own.

How does it work without magicbands?
Re-use old ones or buy new ones (still cheaper than paying for a Disney room). It's slightly annoying not being able to charge back to the room when in the parks. For that, I tend to load up a Disney gift card that I carry around so I don't have to keep whipping out my credit card.

How frequently do the busses come for the AK and MK parks?
Same frequency. And it's easier to catch a cab if you need it.

Has anyone rented from the National in the resort? What was your experience?
We do this every time -- one way rentals both ways. We pick up the car at the airport, I drop the family off at the Swan, then drop the car with the valets at the Dolphin. So easy. On the way back, I usually pick up the car the day before (same $ if it's less than 24 hours) but that adds an overnight parking fee. They are super nice at the counter in the Dolphin.

What is the best room location request if we want to be close to the walkway/bridge to the parks?
The Swan is much smaller and easier to get around. I don't think it matters much what room you get as far as that's concerned.

What is the best place to go for a quick drink/soda? Will the price be the usual Disney-astronomical?
I haven't been to the new place in the Swan yet. The other prices are maybe a hair better than Disney prices, although we often walk to the Boardwalk to grab food.

Related to the previous question: are there fridges in the rooms in case we bring our own sodas?
Yes, but they are often turned down or off. Check the temp and turn it up if needed (in the back, kinda awkward but can be done).

@helenb just note that the car rental desk is in the hallway that says disney vacation planning over it... is it the wall behind the bar?

There were no alamo/national signs we could see this summer until we got back there... and asking at the concierge desk got us sent in circles from the valet stand back to the check in desk lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Amalone!

I appreciate the perspective, Jennypenny! It's nice to know that other people have made the jump from BC/YC. It feels like the magicband thing will be an annoyance, but probably one we can live with for the lower cost. At least our kids are teens now, so not being able to open our room door with the bands won't be as big a deal.

Hmmm... i was just going to take Uber from the airport/Universal. Is a car rental really easier/cheaper? The car rental we want is to drive to Miami to board a cruise ship.

I did my due diligence. Called Marriott Rewards and they have no idea why the points were refunded to me. Called Dolphin, they have no idea. So.......might as well book another Dolphin trip! I'm still wary though!
Yeah makes me nervous for you too, but I'd hang on a bit and see if they reverse it. But since you called you should be safe. Very odd though.

- What is the shampoo/conditioner situation at Swan? Do they still use individual plastic bottles or have they converted to the cheap wall dispensers?
- What is the best place to go for a quick drink/soda? Will the price be the usual Disney-astronomical?
- Related to the previous question: are there fridges in the rooms in case we bring our own sodas?
All Marriott hotels, all levels will be dumping the individual bottles by the end of 2020. So hard to say when it will happen at S/D but very possible by your trip they will be gone. They say for the Marriott chain alone it will keep 500 million tiny bottles out out of the landfill.

Prices of soda are fairly close to Disney so if you can bring them or use a service like Amazon PrimeNow to have some delivered you can save some bucks. We did and we'll do it again in February. The fridges keep things nice n cold, do watch things at the top as we had some freeze a bit.

Hmmm... i was just going to take Uber from the airport/Universal. Is a car rental really easier/cheaper? The car rental we want is to drive to Miami to board a cruise ship.
You can go to Ride.guru and estimate your trips with Uber/Lyft so you have some idea what they would cost so you can compare a rental car. Keep in mind that vehicles at S/D are subject to a parking fee so don't forget to count that in as well as your Resort fee (not car related) but just be aware as neither are waived when using points.

The new award pricing system is now in effect. I can already see dates when the nightly rate for a Traditional room is 60,000 points per night (peak rate). It may be a good idea to check for any cost reductions for upcoming stays. If your stay is now considered off-peak, you will need to cancel and rebook to receive the lower 40,000 points nightly rate. If you stay's dates are now considered peak, you do nothing; your existing 50,000 points rate will be honored.

Thinking of recent changes, since Marriott came into the picture, the word "inflation" comes to mind. 😒 When I think about the current points pricing, compared to the old SPG rates, things have simply skyrocketed.

The three nightly points redemption rates are now 40,000, 50,000, and 60,000 per night. Checking through my previously-booked reservations, most now have a nightly rate of 60,000 points, a couple display the message that new points bookings are no longer being accepted for the dates, and one or two nights remained at 50,000 points.

Swan Points calendar for peak, off-peak, and standard redemptions (sign in to your account and search for flexible dates)

The winter months seem to have the most dates with 60,000 points redemption, while the summer months seem to have the greatest number of dates for 40,000 points. I wonder if the redemption rates are fluid, based on occupancy, much like the cash rates.

Last edited:
@shoreward thanks! I've been curious what it would look liked for S/D under the new flexible points system. It does not appear to be really based on any set dates, but I think you are right that it's based on occupancy. Some dates make sense, others leave my scratching my head and thinking it must be based on occupancy. My example below, the week before Christmas is a low of 40,000. From our past experience the resort was plenty busy, with a lot of international travelers. But the 21st and 25 at 50k? I get after Christmas being high leading up to new years, but scanning through several months it really seems to be random.

I completely agree with you about the point inflation vs SPG. About the only real positive for me with the whole merger has been the greater number of properties I can stay at to earn points.

This is the only reason we were renting, we were here a few nights then down to Canaveral for a cruise. We had 5 people total too so it was way less than the DCL bus. We just got it that morning, stopped at a store for a few drinks, and drove to the Alamo by port to drop the car off.

We have ubered between Disney/Universal/airport many times, I wouldn't rent a car for that unless I had some special situation. We even ubered when we were in FL for our wedding, dragging my wedding dress plus 5 bags from MCO to Uni hotel for a few nights to Dolphin :) And from Uni hotel to Dolphin we had 3 people with us too :rotfl:

That's very interesting. I've been trying to book a couple of nights at a WDW resort at the end of our stay at the Swan (at the Swan for a conference) and there's nothing with availability except the higher end most expensive rooms. Probably cause I'm only looking for 2 nights no package but you'd think if bookings were down they'd let us book! I had no problem getting the Swan for those 2 nights - at this rate I'm going to end up staying at the Swan if WDW doesn't want my money.

I am not sure if you have tried calling yet but I read somewhere else that even though the computer was showing limited availability and not the resort they wanted, they called and got exactly what they were looking for. It may be worth a try.

I'm still wondering why so many ppl think Swolphin isn't better than a lot of WDW Resorts. But, that probably keeps the prices low as well.

Oh yeah I agree it's on par with the higher end WDW resorts. I usually stay at a Disney owned resort because I plan trips around getting free dining. The only reason I was looking for 2 nights at a WDW resort is I thought it might be a good chance to try out one I've never stayed in - not many left and they're all the deluxe ones so a bit pricey. I'd love to have stayed in them all at some point.

We are changing resorts to WL after our Dolphin stay, any chance we can do a Epcot morning and leave the car at the Dolphin until our WL room is ready? Anyone done this? Will they charge extra parking?

Super excited to be staying at the Dolphin from November 23-29, 2020! This will be our first ever stay there. Booked through a TA but I am a Marriott rewards member. Will they accept my member number?

We are changing resorts to WL after our Dolphin stay, any chance we can do a Epcot morning and leave the car at the Dolphin until our WL room is ready? Anyone done this? Will they charge extra parking?
DH and I have stayed at the Swan or Dolphin many times. After we check out, we put our luggage in the car and head to a park using Disney transportation. We have never had a problem exiting the parking lot with our room card and we have never been charged extra for parking on the final day. It is always late afternoon or early evening when we finally exit the parking lot.....no problems.

Remember, you are technically charged for overnight parking, so you have already paid for that following day, your last. As soccermom, said, no additional charge for that last day.

Super excited to be staying at the Dolphin from November 23-29, 2020! This will be our first ever stay there. Booked through a TA but I am a Marriott rewards member. Will they accept my member number?
Maybe.
You need to call your TA and ask them. For example, I have a stay at a Marriott property that is booked by my TA. The rate the TA got beat my best deal. My TA also told me up front that I would not earn points. When I check in I plan to give them my Bonvoy number in hopes, but my TA told me up front so I understand I may not. I would contact your TA, and see if they can input your Bonvoy number in advance, then it should show up on your Bonvoy account.

Maybe.
You need to call your TA and ask them. For example, I have a stay at a Marriott property that is booked by my TA. The rate the TA got beat my best deal. My TA also told me up front that I would not earn points. When I check in I plan to give them my Bonvoy number in hopes, but my TA told me up front so I understand I may not. I would contact your TA, and see if they can input your Bonvoy number in advance, then it should show up on your Bonvoy account.
SteveH you are exactly right. I may have answered too quickly with my yes. When I was working (now retired) I had Dreams Umlimited plan and book our WDW trips. I always had my SPG number added on the reservation when we arrived, never a problem. Starwood was one thing and Marriott is certainly another. Good advice to call and check.

Anyone at the Swan or Dolphin now able to provide a report on how disruptive the maintenance work is around the pool area? We're heading down in less than two weeks for an adult trip and hoping to get a little pool time in (though apparently only at the Swan or Grotto pool). TIA!

I always had my SPG number added on the reservation when we arrived, never a problem. Starwood was one thing and Marriott is certainly another. Good advice to call and check.
SPG seemed a lot more willing to give out points, which is why I was so loyal to them. I'm staying one night at TownPlace Suites at Flamingo Crossing and I can stay with points or pay for it, but when my TA told me the rate she had I figured I'd keep my points, the booking group they use must get deals like we see with Priceline/Hotwire, for the saving I understand though it seems petty not to give points to a regular member none the less. Oh well.

Maybe.

You should still be able to get points on any out of pocket spending at the resort. Just may not be able to get points on the actual room fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter