Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Back from a 2 week trip to Orlando, during which I spent 2 x 5 night stays at The Dolphin.... Thought I'd share my thoughts and experience with you just for fun. First 5 nights I was in 4200, second 5 nights in the dizzy heights of 14113. I was solo in the rooms, although I was there with others who were staying at The Boardwalk.

The good:
- First ever visit to Dolphin. My word, that lobby is fabulous, absolutely loved it
- 14113 was amazing! I couldn't believe they gave me this room, I didn't upgrade or anything (although on both check ins I was pitched $20 upgrades). The view was incredible, could see fireworks from Epcot and DHS. I was over the moon with this room.
- I am still dreaming of the Pineapple Crush cocktail from Phins. I just loved coming back from a busy day in the parks and relaxing at this beautiful bar and lobby
- My first Epcot resort area trip - adored being able to walk to Epcot and DHS. Didn't find the DHS walk bad at all, even with the construction. Was there in 20 minutes.
- Laundry facilities were excellent
- Really nice gym, enjoyed the video fitness class room
- Gorgeous pool - although I never went in it and spent any time there beyond walking round!! (For shame)
- Rooms were modern, comfortable and well appointed. I liked that they were modern in styling, more appealing to me than the classic old fashioned charm Disney tends to go for (Boardwalk)
- I just loved walking up the approach to the Dolphin with the music playing etc. It is so majestic, feels like a real "destination"
- I did not feel like I was missing out on Disney magic at all, which was great

The "could do better"
- The carpets in the corridors, can we replace these please?! Geezo. They are so worn out the pattern is gone. Looked really cheap and tacky.
- 4200 wasn't a room worth recommending really. Location was uninspiring to say the least, overlooked the bus stop. Did not find thing noisy or distracting in any way though. Shower took ages to heat up (a good 5 minutes). It's far end of the building so a bit of a walk. Check In also directed me to the wrong elevators and it took me ages to figure out what was going on and find the room.

The Dolphin definitely has a convert, I think this is my hotel of choice in all of WDW now.
14113 sounds great. Beyond the great view was the room itself different?

A few questions for those that can help:

1. How do you sign up for a government employee rate? Is that through the hotel or is it through something else?

2. What is the Marriott Rewards program and what type of discounts have been given with this program?

3. We are planning a trip in Nov. 2019. I tried to check dates with Hotwire but they were unavailable. When do those dates become available?

Thanks for any help on these questions!

A few questions for those that can help:
1. You might call S/D about the Government rate, when I looked on the SPG/Marriott website there were no available Government rate dates. In the past when I looked at the rates for Teachers, Government, AAA and SPG the AAA rates were always better. This page talks about the Marriott Government rates https://www.marriott.com/specials/govtmil/default.mi

2. Before the SPG/Marriott merger I think the loyalty program was a pretty good deal. We've used it twice for stays at S/D ones on cash & points and the other all points for a week, great deal. However with the merger the S/D has been put into a high tier that IMHO doesn't make it as appealing. Time will tell if they adjust the points down to make S/D on points a good deal.

3. I don't think there is a schedule for these deals, when they become available it gets brought up here and a lot of discussion as well as some great members that posted some "how to" directions. You can search this thread to find those previous discussions which might give you a better idea of when they started & ended.

Booking for November hasn't opened up yet so this was a week in September to give you some idea...
AAA Rate: $227/night
SPG/Marriott Rate: $231/night
Preferred Rate $239/night (normal rate)
SPG/Marriott Free Nights: 40,000 points/night
SPG Cash & Points: Not available.
No teacher or Government rates showed up for me

Also check Costco Travel if you are a member, we got a good deal that included room upgrades for last January.

I think I read somewhere the resort fee includes a daily s'mores kit. Does that get delivered to your room or do you have to pick it up somewhere? When/where does the s'more making take place?

Hello! I have a “grand deluxe suite” booked with king bed, plus an attached double room. I think I am clear on which floor plan this is, but can anyone verify? Thanks!!

Do they always have a nurse rate available? I don't know if I just can't find it after clicking on the link that says "nurses", or what.

If you go to ride.guru you can use the site to look at various options and prices from the base level Uber/Lyft to higher end as well as adjusting based on surge pricing. It will also show comparisons for taxis. It does have an app for your phone as well.

We used Lyft from the airport to S/D price was in the mid-30s - driver didn't help with anything (which is just fine with me) nor talk, we didn't tip much as a result.

I had complained on the Transportation board about Rideguru not being accurate.. it quoted ~$24 to Dolphin but actual prices for both Uber and Lyft were ~$36. So use the apps to check prices not Rideguru.

What's the catch? These hotels almost seem to good to be true...I am currently booked at POP for my next trip, with the dining plan, but the Dolphin isn't THAT much more. Considering switching, but feel like I'm missing something. I don't need ME, I don't NEED Magic Bands, I don't NEED the dining plan. Is there something I'm missing?

Do they always have a nurse rate available? I don't know if I just can't find it after clicking on the link that says "nurses", or what.
The link seems to be broken after the SPG/Marriott merger, I'd call. But if it's like the teacher/government rate, then no it's not always available. When I've looked the rates were not all that great in the first place.

Is there something I'm missing?
Nope! Some people say they don't feel the hotel is Disney enough. But the location is outstanding and I love the rooms too. The reason you pointed out is why we first started staying here years ago after staying on property. Saving money and getting a better room was enough for us.

What's the catch? These hotels almost seem to good to be true...I am currently booked at POP for my next trip, with the dining plan, but the Dolphin isn't THAT much more. Considering switching, but feel like I'm missing something. I don't need ME, I don't NEED Magic Bands, I don't NEED the dining plan. Is there something I'm missing?

Im my experience with Dolphin/Swan the prices tend to fluctuate frequently, and sometimes rack rate is in line with Deluxe prices. But if you find a deal that brings the room to a lower cost, no catch. Outside of the lost amenities you mentioned. Loss of Disney theming of course if that bothers you. They feel like nice business class hotels. But if you want theming just step outside. You still get 60day FP, which is the big one for me. And for me personally Dolphin/Swan/Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk are situated on the best piece of property at DW.

You aren't missing anything--great deluxe hotels, great service, great prices and you are EPCOT's back door as well as DHS. Love these two especially when you can score a great rate!

You aren't missing anything--great deluxe hotels, great service, great prices and you are EPCOT's back door as well as DHS. Love these two especially when you can score a great rate!

The proximity to these parks is a huge perk that I may not be able to pass on...!

Anyone find actual pricing on teacher, nurse, or gov rate? My husband and I are all 3 put together, haha! It says “click here” or call for rates. The links never work for me, and I have laryngitis, so I just want to see some hard rates for now.

Think others had it pretty much covered. The only “catches” that were not covered were resort and parking fees. With Disney charging for parking for their resorts that really is no longer an issue. Looks like the Sean Dolphin charges $23 for self and $33 for valet parking daily.

The resort fee is probably the one that upsets some people the most. I believe they charge an additional $31.50 (+tax) a day. For the fee you get Pool access, Health club access, Fitness center access, Internet access, Phone calls, In-room bottled water (2? A day) and the s’mores package that was mentioned earlier.

As long as your aware of the resort fee and factor it in the Swan Dolphin can be a great deal, especially because of the location. Also, some of the different suite will give larger sized parties options that you will not find in any of the Disney Resorts. Also, if you do book a room(s), check on the prices every few weeks and it’s not uncommon to find a better rate that you can rebook/change it to.

Last edited:

To me, they do lack a bit of that Disney feel. Not enough that I will pass up a deal on staying at the Swan or Dolphin, as you can see by my upcoming trip tik.

Hello all! My first post here. I’ve been creeping for a few weeks and read hundreds of pages. Thank you all for the great info.

After not taking a vacation for over 6 years, my family and my in-laws went to Disney June 2017. We stayed at Port Orleans and loved everything except for feeling a little far away from all the parks. We did Royal Pacific this April at Universal and loved being able to walk to the parks (and the express passes). Now getting ready for Dolphin mid November with a family of 5 (17, 11, 9). DH and I are both celebrating our 40th birthdays and our 10 year anniversary!

We have a double, balcony, fireworks view room booked. Looking forward to the perks of being close to Epcot & HS, waters in the room, great pool (we’re in Vermont so 70 will be warm to us), the Boardwalk, s’mores, etc.

Question - I booked on Hotels.com (which linked really easy to MDE after just 1 email - I was worried) where I am a gold member. In the booking I requested a rollaway. Should I call the Dolphin to verify this? We can go without it but everyone will be happier with it.

Thanks!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter