Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I'm sure your son would be made very welcome at Blue Zoo...I will add though that the lounge has a more limited menu than the main dining and can be louder too...lots of conventioneers congregate in the lounge..it also seems darker than the main.

Check out the Cabana Bar too at the Dolphin side of the Grotto pool. I LOVE their fish sandwich but they have a nice menu too...the drinks are really good pours....and the dining area around the bar is nicely done with white billowy curtains and comfy seating...with shaded or sunny seating available....sigh...
I always got lost walking around there. Have been to the pool and never found Cabana Bar. Have passed by bluezoo and Fountain dozens of times so I can find those. Lol The website says about bluezoo lounge: “Feel your cares melt away at this elegant watering hole, located inside Todd English’s bluezoo. Open nightly, this chic bar invites you to sip on cocktails while feasting on gourmet-styled burgers and nachos, or the full restaurant menu. ” Is the full menu not available?

Thanks for the review, sibesx2. Sounds like a nice trip.
I'm a bit late with my trip report. My DD, DGS (17) and I were at Disney 9/1 to 9/8. Our first 2 nights were at AKL (nice but it's a 1 and done for me). It was our first Dolphin stay and I booked with points. We arrived about 9am and our room was ready! Our room was right off the east elevators on the 6th floor and had a partial Boardwalk view. We loved the room. It is huge especially compared to Disney rooms. I did not find the beds "heavenly" but they were ok.

The first 2 nights there was a big convention and the lobby was crowded and LOUD when we returned from the parks at night. We didn't hang out in the lobby so it wasn't really a problem. On Wed. DGS wasn't feeling well so we went back to the Dolphin at around 5 so he could rest some. Our room had not been cleaned probably because the convention checked out that morning and they had a lot of rooms to do. Housekeeping tried to come in while we were there. I asked for towels and water and told them not to worry about cleaning because we didn't know how long we would be in the room.

We did not eat at the Dolphin but did get shakes at the Fountain one night and did get refillable mugs at Picabu. Loved the mugs! They are cheaper than Disney mugs and are very easy to refill. I took them to the parks and would pour the free ice water from counter service in them or get a drink refill after eating. It was much easier than trying to walk around with a cup with no lid.

Buses were great - never crowded. On Monday after the Halloween party we were the only people on the bus when we left at about 11:30. The times on the monitors at the bus stop were never right. The times kept going up and then the bus would come when it was saying 20 mins. Most of the time the bus didn't have a destination on it so we had to ask the driver where it was going. Not a fan of the boats. There was always a long wait for them, they were always crowded and they are so slow. Walking to DHS or Epcot was not an options as both DD and I have had trouble with our feet on past trips so we didn't want to do any extra walking.

On our last night we got off the bus at the Boardwalk, ate at ESPN (DGS was in heaven!), got ice cream at Ample Hills and walked back to the Dolphin. As we got there the Mr Incredible song started playing and the fountain and palm trees lit up to the music. It was very cool!

I had never even considered the Swalphin before but we all agreed that we liked it as much or better then Disney resorts. We will definitely consider it for future trips.

I always got lost walking around there. Have been to the pool and never found Cabana Bar. Have passed by bluezoo and Fountain dozens of times so I can find those. Lol The website says about bluezoo lounge: “Feel your cares melt away at this elegant watering hole, located inside Todd English’s bluezoo. Open nightly, this chic bar invites you to sip on cocktails while feasting on gourmet-styled burgers and nachos, or the full restaurant menu. ” Is the full menu not available?

Hmmm that's funny...I have eaten both in the main dining and the lounge several times...I could be mistaken about the limited menu in the lounge. Maybe they only provide the lounge menu and you must request the full menu when dining there...? Sorry for the confusion.

We generally eat in the lounge when we eat very late otherwise we prefer the main dining...we've found that the service is much more attentive in the main dining area.

Anyway I do like his signature drink...the Zootini (?) yumm....and his market fish of the day has never disappointed.

On a side note...almost every time we have eaten at Blue Zoo Todd English has been there! (we visit several times a year) We have spoken to him each time...just to say hello and thank him for a great meal, he is very gracious. I like that a famous chef makes regular visits to his namesake restaurant.

Does anyone decorate their windows at the Swan and Dolphin? We will be at both resorts close to Halloween, and at the Swan over Halloween. Wondering if I should bring a few decorations along.
I've never experienced guests decorating their windows or balcony for Halloween, but last December the room below us had lights on their balcony rails each night. I rather enjoyed it - so much so we'll be bringing a string of lights when we go in December!IMG_8833.JPG

I've never experienced guests decorating their windows or balcony for Halloween, but last December the room below us had lights on their balcony rails each night. I rather enjoyed it - so much so we'll be bringing a string of lights when we go in December!View attachment 353709

I was thinking the same thing. Even though our trip starts on Thanksgiving and ends Dec 2nd, we’re very much there for the Disney Christmas experience and having some lights along is on my list.

Just got home from a five night stay at the Dolphin. Some thoughts: Got an upgrade to a suite, overlooking the roof of the lobby. We didn't care about the view at all; a suite was nice. DH is platinum premier. Got offered free breakfast daily; used it once (we're not breakfast eaters, and usually got out by lunchtime). Yesterday (our last night) we got back to the room, and didn't have maid service. I called, and was asked what I wanted. I said to waive the resort fee, which they did (haven't gotten our folio emailed yet, so can't say). I was surprised, but surprising to me I was't mad (I usually get really annoyed, but I was just tired, and we got towels and coffee from a cart right outside late at night, and also I'm like what the heck? Carts outside but no service?).
Food very good overall. I got room service once, and we did another night together. Much better than Disney resorts, as it's 24 hours (not that we're up late), but sandwiches are good, and for two dinners and a bottle of wine for $100 is well, decent I guess.
Kimono's in my opinion is still nice, but their sushi isn't what it used to be. Still fine; we ate there twice. Great bar for a quiet retreat!
Fresh is nice for lunch on travel day leaving. Good salads.
Side note: we had amazing lunches at Yak & Yeti and at Skipper's Canteen. Both really great. Also brunch at California Grill was really nice too!

:idea:
I've never experienced guests decorating their windows or balcony for Halloween, but last December the room below us had lights on their balcony rails each night. I rather enjoyed it - so much so we'll be bringing a string of lights when we go in December!View attachment 353709

I was thinking the same thing. Even though our trip starts on Thanksgiving and ends Dec 2nd, we’re very much there for the Disney Christmas experience and having some lights along is on my list.

Reactions: CJN
Just got home from a five night stay at the Dolphin. Some thoughts: Got an upgrade to a suite, overlooking the roof of the lobby. We didn't care about the view at all; a suite was nice. DH is platinum premier. Got offered free breakfast daily; used it once (we're not breakfast eaters, and usually got out by lunchtime). Yesterday (our last night) we got back to the room, and didn't have maid service. I called, and was asked what I wanted. I said to waive the resort fee, which they did (haven't gotten our folio emailed yet, so can't say). I was surprised, but surprising to me I was't mad (I usually get really annoyed, but I was just tired, and we got towels and coffee from a cart right outside late at night, and also I'm like what the heck? Carts outside but no service?).
Food very good overall. I got room service once, and we did another night together. Much better than Disney resorts, as it's 24 hours (not that we're up late), but sandwiches are good, and for two dinners and a bottle of wine for $100 is well, decent I guess.
Kimono's in my opinion is still nice, but their sushi isn't what it used to be. Still fine; we ate there twice. Great bar for a quiet retreat!
Fresh is nice for lunch on travel day leaving. Good salads.
Side note: we had amazing lunches at Yak & Yeti and at Skipper's Canteen. Both really great. Also brunch at California Grill was really nice too!
Thanks for the great feedback, happymommy. Always helpful to get trip reports like this. Good to hear you had a good time.

what is everyones spa experience here? i booked a massage - ive been to the mandra in vegas and its nice enough. i assume this spa is all well and good. i wonder if there are many kids in the spa?

Hi Nancy.

Is there any value to holding both a 'regular' SPG Preferred AMEX card as well as an SPG Business AMEX card? Both are $95 annual fee if I recall.

I know I'm replying late to this but wanted to throw my 2 cents here. I had the regular SPG Amex card for 15 years. I used it for everything and found it to be an awesome card - especially for staying at the Swan/Dolphin for our Disney trips. I cancelled it last week. Marriott screwed up big-time. The Marriott merger and resulting point inflation for all of the hotels, including the Swan and Dolphin have rendered the card virtually useless to me. The majority of the hotels in the major cities (Boston, NYC, etc) are well above the 35K point threshold for the free night so that perk is not as great as it seems on the surface. And obviously, the point inflation has made it significantly harder to earn free nights.

When I went to cancel my card, they offered me 20K points if I spent $2K over the next 90 days. It seemed tempting but then I remembered that a single night at the Dolphin is 50K points, so it really wasn't much of an incentive to stay. If you've never had the SPG Amex before it's worth signing up to get the 100K points - but then I would dump the card after a year or two (if you have a good credit score).

I was lucky enough to receive an upgrade to the "executive suite" on a recent two night stay at the swan. I do have Westin Gold status due to my Amex card. It was an amazing room and I was sad to transfer to my "normal" room at the Hyatt Regency for the conference I was attending in town. Sorry for the night photos I completely forgot to take more in the day as I was rushing to get to the parks. The Swan is an amazing hotel for the cost. Its just as central to Epcot and HS as the three big deluxes next door at half the cost (if not cheaper).

room1_1080.jpg room2_1080.jpg room3_1080.jpg

I was lucky enough to receive an upgrade to the "executive suite" on a recent two night stay at the swan. I do have Westin Gold status due to my Amex card. It was an amazing room and I was sad to transfer to my "normal" room at the Hyatt Regency for the conference I was attending in town. Sorry for the night photos I completely forgot to take more in the day as I was rushing to get to the parks. The Swan is an amazing hotel for the cost. Its just as central to Epcot and HS as the three big deluxes next door at half the cost (if not cheaper).

View attachment 354062 View attachment 354063 View attachment 354064

What a great upgrade and the photos look great, We also love the “executive suites” and as the 5th wheel in a group of 5, the executive suite (my room :thumbsup2) with an attached room was a godsend for our trip in 2011, 2013 and would have been 2017 if they were available for our dates.

Quick question, it would appear that your suite had a bed in it. Is it an actual bed or a pullout sofa? I remember reading that they removed the beds and replaced them with a pullout sofa during room renovations last year. We would love to get another “executive suite” on our next trip in a few years, but because I’m 6’ 4” a pullout sofa is far from ideal.

Yeah its one king bed with a swivel TV in the middle and a living area on the other side (you can see both in the first picture in my previous post). Sadly the couch IS NOT a pullout. I checked. It does have two balconies, one for each area.

My kids are 2 and 4, it would have been a perfect family suite for us if the couch pulled out. But if you are traveling by car an air mattress would fit very well where that huge coffee table is.

The room also has two full baths. One with a walk in shower and one with a jacuzzi tub.

The door to the "attached room" in my room led to a massive suite with a baby grand piano in it (I could see though their balcony door). From my googling I take it thats the Presidents Suite.

I know I'm replying late to this but wanted to throw my 2 cents here. I had the regular SPG Amex card for 15 years. I used it for everything and found it to be an awesome card - especially for staying at the Swan/Dolphin for our Disney trips. I cancelled it last week. Marriott screwed up big-time. The Marriott merger and resulting point inflation for all of the hotels, including the Swan and Dolphin have rendered the card virtually useless to me. The majority of the hotels in the major cities (Boston, NYC, etc) are well above the 35K point threshold for the free night so that perk is not as great as it seems on the surface. And obviously, the point inflation has made it significantly harder to earn free nights.

When I went to cancel my card, they offered me 20K points if I spent $2K over the next 90 days. It seemed tempting but then I remembered that a single night at the Dolphin is 50K points, so it really wasn't much of an incentive to stay. If you've never had the SPG Amex before it's worth signing up to get the 100K points - but then I would dump the card after a year or two (if you have a good credit score).
Thanks for your thoughts, Lupin.

View attachment 354062 View attachment 354063 View attachment 354064
Looks like a great room. And I love that bottom photo, wish I was there now.

Hey look, Google photos made me a panorama of our view :rotfl:

DujalMql.jpg

Do the Swan and Dolphin have discounts like Disney? I thought the prices would come down today with the new Disney discounts, but I have never stayed at Swan or Dolphin before. I'm looking February dates. Do they drop rates at some point or do they just get more expensive?

Sure they offer discounts but you need to understand that they just like Disney only offer discounts to fill empty rooms.

Since many conferences use the Swan & Dolphin all year long they can have very high occupancy. However, when conferences are cancelled or rescheduled both will offer some great discounts to fill those empty rooms.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter