Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

O M G ! ! !
That is awful. Even if it was a Hotwire deal type of room it would be bad, but for an 'upgraded view' there is no excuse. That said the upgrades for Gold/Platinum are nice extras to get but can't count on it. But seriously, Chain link over the windows?
The room was booked with points.

I requested a Boardwalk view. Maybe they thought I asked for a boarded up view. :)

We got here yesterday afternoon (about 4pm). At the Dolphin on a Hotwire deal ($79 plus tax & resort fee). Nice lady at the front desk didn’t have any king rooms with a balcony (I asked if any balcony rooms were available), but she did say she had a suite available with no balcony. Nice suite, view is meh but we don’t mind. DH is platinum premier. It has a queen sofa sleeper in the living room plus a dining table & 4 chairs. Bathroom is tiny with little counter space, but overall a nice room!

We were also given 5 breakfast coupons for continental breakfast buffet at Garden Grove or Fresh, which can be upgraded to the full breakfast for less than $10 ( I forget what she said, maybe $8?).

Last edited:
I just saw a link on twitter to a news story stating there's a rumor that Swan/Dolphin room keys will no longer be accepted for EMH, effective February 2019.

The article states:

As of today, Guests staying at the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel or the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel have two additional options for checking in at the theme park for Extra Magic Hours. These might become the ONLY options to enjoy this special offering next year, replacing the room key:
  • Guests may link their hotel confirmation number in the My Disney Experience app.
  • Guests may present a paper voucher from the resort for each person in their party over the age of three.

Just as long as the perk for EMH is not discontinued, it's not a big change. I would think most guests have their Swan/Dolphin reservations linked to MDE.

Last edited:
I wanted to thank all of you wonderful people for all the help over these last few months planning our first adventure at the Dolphin Resort. We returned yesterday from our very first stay at the Dolphin Resort. We've visited the resort for dinner several times, but this was our first time actually staying there. It was TERRIFIC! We stayed for 12 glorious nights and loved every minute of it. At check-in, we upgraded to an Epcot fireworks view with balcony for an additional $20 per night. WORTH EVERY PENNY! Dh is a major fireworks fan, so he was absolutely thrilled. We synced the IllumiNations music from Youtube with the fireworks, so we were able to enjoy the music while watching. It really added an extra element of enjoyment. We opted into the 'green' program, so that we only received housekeeping every 4 days. We received $5 vouchers for everyday we didn't get housekeeping. We still received a daily bag with water bottles and coffee. We used the vouchers for meals.

We enjoyed several meals at the Swolphin, and found that the discounts differed with each location. We received the Tables in Wonderland discount at Bluezoo, Kimonos, Fuel, Il Mulino and the Cabana Bar by the pool. We received the AAA discount at Picabu and Fountain restaurants. All were enjoyable experiences, but we were a bit disappointed in the food quality at the Fountain and Cabana Bar & Beach Club. Everything else was delicious!

We spent almost every afternoon by the pools due to heat. Finding chairs was difficult, especially on weekends. We always managed to find something, by circling around. When we were there, there were no umbrellas by the beach chairs at the Swan lap pool. Is that normal? There were only umbrellas at the big tables, not the lounge chairs. For this reason, we never sat by that pool. Shade was essential. Otherwise, the pools were great fun. I mentioned earlier in the thread, that I couldn't get over how different it felt not being at a Disney owned pool. It was soo much more relaxing with drinks being permitted near (and even inside!) the pool, lots of different sized floaties permitted for the kids, and just generally not so strict rules. I saw many kids learning to be more brave in the pools by jumping off their dads' shoulders in the water. Know what I mean? This is never allowed at Disney pools these days (I've seen lifeguards whistle wildly when they see this), and all the kids were having a great time. I have fond memories of doing this with my dad back in the day!

Boat and bus transportation worked very well. We did walk to DHS once, but with all the construction and extra walking, we took the boat the rest of the time. Whenever we shared a bus with BWI (which was every time we returned from Animal Kingdom), we would simply disembark at BWI and walk back to the Dolphin. It was faster than staying on the bus and we just love strolling around the Boardwalk. It was such a treat being so close to Jellyrolls too! When going to Magic Kingdom for rope drop, we grabbed the bus at the Swan in order to get a seat.

We hope to return to the Dolphin in the future. We did have the incredible Hotwire deal though, so I'm sure we'd be paying a lot more money next time. I'll have to see if I can talk dh into it! For now, we have a wonderful memory of an amazing trip. Thanks again, everyone!

Glad you had a great trip, CJK!
If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what you had to eat at any of the places if you recall? I know it's not a big deal for a lot of people, but I really am interested in the dining to make informed choices. I agree that The Fountain is a little disappointing. When we went, the food was not bad at all, it's just that it seemed a few dollars more than what it should be, even factoring in the hotel+disney upcharge.

Also, honest opinion - did you miss any "Disney Touches?" A lot of ppl say it doesn't feel "Disney Enough."

I wanted to thank all of you wonderful people for all the help over these last few months planning our first adventure at the Dolphin Resort. We returned yesterday from our very first stay at the Dolphin Resort. We've visited the resort for dinner several times, but this was our first time actually staying there. It was TERRIFIC! We stayed for 12 glorious nights and loved every minute of it. At check-in, we upgraded to an Epcot fireworks view with balcony for an additional $20 per night. WORTH EVERY PENNY! Dh is a major fireworks fan, so he was absolutely thrilled. We synced the IllumiNations music from Youtube with the fireworks, so we were able to enjoy the music while watching. It really added an extra element of enjoyment. We opted into the 'green' program, so that we only received housekeeping every 4 days. We received $5 vouchers for everyday we didn't get housekeeping. We still received a daily bag with water bottles and coffee. We used the vouchers for meals.

We enjoyed several meals at the Swolphin, and found that the discounts differed with each location. We received the Tables in Wonderland discount at Bluezoo, Kimonos, Fuel, Il Mulino and the Cabana Bar by the pool. We received the AAA discount at Picabu and Fountain restaurants. All were enjoyable experiences, but we were a bit disappointed in the food quality at the Fountain and Cabana Bar & Beach Club. Everything else was delicious!

We spent almost every afternoon by the pools due to heat. Finding chairs was difficult, especially on weekends. We always managed to find something, by circling around. When we were there, there were no umbrellas by the beach chairs at the Swan lap pool. Is that normal? There were only umbrellas at the big tables, not the lounge chairs. For this reason, we never sat by that pool. Shade was essential. Otherwise, the pools were great fun. I mentioned earlier in the thread, that I couldn't get over how different it felt not being at a Disney owned pool. It was soo much more relaxing with drinks being permitted near (and even inside!) the pool, lots of different sized floaties permitted for the kids, and just generally not so strict rules. I saw many kids learning to be more brave in the pools by jumping off their dads' shoulders in the water. Know what I mean? This is never allowed at Disney pools these days (I've seen lifeguards whistle wildly when they see this), and all the kids were having a great time. I have fond memories of doing this with my dad back in the day!

Boat and bus transportation worked very well. We did walk to DHS once, but with all the construction and extra walking, we took the boat the rest of the time. Whenever we shared a bus with BWI (which was every time we returned from Animal Kingdom), we would simply disembark at BWI and walk back to the Dolphin. It was faster than staying on the bus and we just love strolling around the Boardwalk. It was such a treat being so close to Jellyrolls too! When going to Magic Kingdom for rope drop, we grabbed the bus at the Swan in order to get a seat.

We hope to return to the Dolphin in the future. We did have the incredible Hotwire deal though, so I'm sure we'd be paying a lot more money next time. I'll have to see if I can talk dh into it! For now, we have a wonderful memory of an amazing trip. Thanks again, everyone!
Thanks for the great review CJK. And welcome home Good to hear you guys had a great time And I do like that 12 day time there, easy to take it slow and easy.

Quick question. I checked in to Dolphin today for first time. I had to self park in Swan since the Dolphin self parking was full. I got the ticket from gate. What do I have to do to get out? Do I need my room key?

Does anyone decorate their windows at the Swan and Dolphin? We will be at both resorts close to Halloween, and at the Swan over Halloween. Wondering if I should bring a few decorations along.

Does anyone decorate their windows at the Swan and Dolphin? We will be at both resorts close to Halloween, and at the Swan over Halloween. Wondering if I should bring a few decorations along.

I've never seen anyone decorate doors or windows at the Swolphin but if it makes you or your family happy, then why not! There are relatively few windows located where other guests would see your efforts but I don't see any reason not to if you like to do it.

Quick question. I checked in to Dolphin today for first time. I had to self park in Swan since the Dolphin self parking was full. I got the ticket from gate. What do I have to do to get out? Do I need my room key?
You should go to front desk and have them put parking in and out on your room key. At least that was the way it has been in the past for me with a car. Past several trips have not been with a car.

I have seen room balconies decorated at Christmas time with lights, garlands. I'm sure a few decorations on your windows would be fine.

Glad you had a great trip, CJK!
If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what you had to eat at any of the places if you recall? I know it's not a big deal for a lot of people, but I really am interested in the dining to make informed choices. I agree that The Fountain is a little disappointing. When we went, the food was not bad at all, it's just that it seemed a few dollars more than what it should be, even factoring in the hotel+disney upcharge.

Also, honest opinion - did you miss any "Disney Touches?" A lot of ppl say it doesn't feel "Disney Enough."

Sorry for the delay! We didn't miss the 'Disney Touches' which actually surprised us. This was an adults-only trip, so we actually enjoyed having a more adult-like trip. We've been staying at Disney owned hotels since the late 1970's, so this felt different and like a new vacation. We are sooo familiar with other Disney hotels, so it was interesting having to learn about the resort in ways we haven't had to in decades! If people are looking for ample Disney theming in their hotel, I can see being disappointed with the Swolphin. However, we were ready for something different and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for meals, we really enjoyed the sandwiches at Fuel and tacos at Picabu. The sushi at Kimonos was top notch. At Bluezoo we really liked a platter for 2 people with a sampling of various seafood. Sorry, can't remember the name. At Il Mulino, I loved the risotto. Dh had the chicken parm which he liked, but not as much as my risotto. We're not big dessert eaters, so can't help much there. Although, dh did like the ice cream to-go at the Fountain.

Aj at Disney Food Blog just posted a review of Swolphin restaurants. She says she LOVES the wings at Picabu. And the Apple pie sundae at Fountain. Generally a very favorable review of the resort in general.

I'm a bit late with my trip report. My DD, DGS (17) and I were at Disney 9/1 to 9/8. Our first 2 nights were at AKL (nice but it's a 1 and done for me). It was our first Dolphin stay and I booked with points. We arrived about 9am and our room was ready! Our room was right off the east elevators on the 6th floor and had a partial Boardwalk view. We loved the room. It is huge especially compared to Disney rooms. I did not find the beds "heavenly" but they were ok.

The first 2 nights there was a big convention and the lobby was crowded and LOUD when we returned from the parks at night. We didn't hang out in the lobby so it wasn't really a problem. On Wed. DGS wasn't feeling well so we went back to the Dolphin at around 5 so he could rest some. Our room had not been cleaned probably because the convention checked out that morning and they had a lot of rooms to do. Housekeeping tried to come in while we were there. I asked for towels and water and told them not to worry about cleaning because we didn't know how long we would be in the room.

We did not eat at the Dolphin but did get shakes at the Fountain one night and did get refillable mugs at Picabu. Loved the mugs! They are cheaper than Disney mugs and are very easy to refill. I took them to the parks and would pour the free ice water from counter service in them or get a drink refill after eating. It was much easier than trying to walk around with a cup with no lid.

Buses were great - never crowded. On Monday after the Halloween party we were the only people on the bus when we left at about 11:30. The times on the monitors at the bus stop were never right. The times kept going up and then the bus would come when it was saying 20 mins. Most of the time the bus didn't have a destination on it so we had to ask the driver where it was going. Not a fan of the boats. There was always a long wait for them, they were always crowded and they are so slow. Walking to DHS or Epcot was not an options as both DD and I have had trouble with our feet on past trips so we didn't want to do any extra walking.

On our last night we got off the bus at the Boardwalk, ate at ESPN (DGS was in heaven!), got ice cream at Ample Hills and walked back to the Dolphin. As we got there the Mr Incredible song started playing and the fountain and palm trees lit up to the music. It was very cool!

I had never even considered the Swalphin before but we all agreed that we liked it as much or better then Disney resorts. We will definitely consider it for future trips.

We’ll be staying at the Swan for the first time next March. We’ve stayed at the Dolphin a few times and loved it. We’ve never eaten anywhere at Swolphin except snacks at Fuel or Picabu. This time we’ll be arriving late, likely after 8 pm. Can we eat at the bluezoo lounge with a kid? Or would you recommend the Fountain?

Also, for the weekend character breakfast, how do you make reservations? I don’t see it on the WDW site or Swan site.

We’ll be staying at the Swan for the first time next March. We’ve stayed at the Dolphin a few times and loved it. We’ve never eaten anywhere at Swolphin except snacks at Fuel or Picabu. This time we’ll be arriving late, likely after 8 pm. Can we eat at the bluezoo lounge with a kid? Or would you recommend the Fountain?

Also, for the weekend character breakfast, how do you make reservations? I don’t see it on the WDW site or Swan site.
The Fountain is just fine - nothing special, but service and food are okay, and after a long day may be a better choice to eat and get to room.

For weekend character breakfast at Garden Grove:

https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/gardengrove/index.html

The Fountain is just fine - nothing special, but service and food are okay, and after a long day may be a better choice to eat and get to room.

For weekend character breakfast at Garden Grove:

https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/gardengrove/index.html
Would rather eat at bluezoo than burgers but not sure DS9 would be welcome. Our flight leaves Chicago at 3, gets to MCO at 6:30. So we’ll be ready for something to eat. Plan to check in to Swan, then walk over to Dolphin.

Thanks for Garden Grove info. Too early to book.

Last edited:
Would rather eat at bluezoo than burgers but not sure DS9 would be welcome. Our flight leaves Chicago at 3, gets to MCO at 6:30. So we’ll be ready for something to eat. Plan to check in to Swan, then walk over to Dolphin.

Thanks from for Garden Grove info. Too early to book.

I'm sure your son would be made very welcome at Blue Zoo...I will add though that the lounge has a more limited menu than the main dining and can be louder too...lots of conventioneers congregate in the lounge..it also seems darker than the main.

Check out the Cabana Bar too at the Dolphin side of the Grotto pool. I LOVE their fish sandwich but they have a nice menu too...the drinks are really good pours....and the dining area around the bar is nicely done with white billowy curtains and comfy seating...with shaded or sunny seating available....sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter