Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I previously mentioned the devaluation of the Starwood American Express card effective August 1, 2018. Everyday spend will earn 2 Marriott points per dollar, vs. the previous 1 SPG point per dollar - valued at 3 Marriott points.

I was poking around The Points Guy web site, which has lots of great information to help you make the most of credit card perks and travel programs. His comments about the Marriott/Starwood credit cards and program are here: https://thepointsguy.com/news/august-for-spg-amex/ In particular:

"Due to the great return offered by Starpoints, which we value at 2.7 cents, and the fact that you previously earned one point per dollar spent, the SPG Amex cards were a frequent go-to for everyday spend. But as you’ll see below, the earning rate for non-bonus spend will effectively drop from 1 Starpoint to 0.67 Starpoints (from the equivalent of 3 Marriott points per dollar, to just 2). Moving forward, consider charging everyday spend to one of these cards, instead."

Last edited:
Just an FYI: here at the Swan now thanks to a Priceline Express deal. When we checked in, they offered us an upgrade to a balcony for $30 a night (we said no). Then the woman checking us in showed us floor plans and let us pick our room - we went with a fireworks/tower of terror view! The lobby renovations are okay. Not terribly inconvenient. They said they'd add my Starwoods number (though I have to check about it because I never gave them my number). Anyway, treated very well despite Priceline res. HTHs!

SPG/Marriott Rewards site is now in transition.

Loyalty-Wrapper_3_Logo_H_blk.png
Loyalty Logos - Ritz Carlton, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest
In order to bring you a new member experience, we need to do some maintenance
As we upgrade our systems to bring together three loyalty programs into one combined program:
  • The SPG.com site and SPG app are currently unavailable while we upgrade them
  • SPG voice reservation systems are also undergoing updates, so our associates may encounter issues with making reservations
Check back later and get ready to experience the power of one program…and endless inspiration.

Encountering an issue not listed here?
Please submit it through our Contact Us form. Select “Marriott.com support” as your topic.

Need additional help?
Please try our Member site or Help central.

It makes me a little sad...change is not always good.

Last edited:
SPG/Marriott Rewards site is now in transition,

It makes me a little sad...change is not always good.
Ugh. I will still frequent SD, but I have reserved my last award stay there. Fortunately their cash rates are often reasonable and occasionally fantastic, even with the resort fee! The ONLY positive I can think of is that frequent travelers are more likely to stick with one program because there are Marriotts and Westin’s, etc everywhere.

We just returned from a week at the Swan this morning. Random thoughts ...

We were charged $25/day for the third person in the room. While that policy has been mentioned to us before, they've always waived it, presumably since we're lifetime platinum. Not this time.

Was the charge for the 3rd person for an adult or child? We have a reservation coming up for 2 adults and 1 child- now I”m worried about more fees I wasn’t planning on. Thanks!

Quick question regarding transportation via Uber/Lift to the Swan. Have any of you who have used it found there to be any issue with availability for SUV sized options? We haven't used this option in Orlando before...

Thanks in advance!

When we needed the extra space (large SUV) for luggage and a wheelchair and 3 people, we called an Uber XL instead. It was a large SUV.

Was the charge for the 3rd person for an adult or child? We have a reservation coming up for 2 adults and 1 child- now I”m worried about more fees I wasn’t planning on. Thanks!
Swan and dolphin have a “family policy” (or something like that) that does not charge for children in the room (can not exceed max occupancy) but charges extra $25/night for each adult more than 2 adults.

Hello!
Looking like rain for our Labor Day weekend trip....I know the weather forecast could change but I thought I better be prepared in case we have a good amount of rain… Are there any indoor activities for kids to do at the dolphin (or in the vicinity)? I found information about a game room but I feel like I read somewhere there was some type of activity room but I couldn’t find it when I looked today?

Thanks!!

Hello!
Looking like rain for our Labor Day weekend trip....I know the weather forecast could change but I thought I better be prepared in case we have a good amount of rain… Are there any indoor activities for kids to do at the dolphin (or in the vicinity)? I found information about a game room but I feel like I read somewhere there was some type of activity room but I couldn’t find it when I looked today?

Thanks!!
There is a game room, takes credit card not quarters. We got here Wednesday and the forecast was a lot of rain. So far we have had great (hot) weather so it could change for you!!!

There is a game room, takes credit card not quarters. We got here Wednesday and the forecast was a lot of rain. So far we have had great (hot) weather so it could change for you!!!
There is also Camp Dolphin and I think they maybe put some of the outdoor activities in there on rainy days!

What’s the tax on the resort fee? I need to add dollars to a pre-paid card for our 10 night stay. Or do you know what the resort rate is including tax per night?

Ugh. I will still frequent SD, but I have reserved my last award stay there. Fortunately their cash rates are often reasonable and occasionally fantastic, even with the resort fee! The ONLY positive I can think of is that frequent travelers are more likely to stick with one program because there are Marriotts and Westin’s, etc everywhere.
Makes me sad. It was such a great value for points, but not anymore. I did the math on another thread and wanted to cry :sad:

Now unless I can get a fantastic Priceline deal, I dont know if I can justify it at this point for us... our reservation on points next month would have been $1550 including resort fee. The same days, rack rate at Pop is $1000 and a room discount at AS Music is $770... definitely not apples to apples but we cant justify that much more in cash for a nicer room when the values are serviceable, at this time.

Hello!

Thanks!!
Where did you find a forecast 2 WEEKS out? There is VERY little skill in forecasting beyond ten days. That forecast is probably based on climatology with a little randomness thrown in.

Hello!

Thanks!!

Wouldn't rely on weather forecast that far out...and most likely will only rain for a short period of it does.

But the arcade only has about 12 games in it and they are expensive.. $1.50-$5/game. Uses cards with points like Disney hotels, but don't get bonus points unless spend $50 or more. Not something I would plan on keeping them occupied for a long time unless you have $$'s to burn.to

Haven't seen any kid activities when raining.. wasn't looking though.

Hello!
IMHO I don't see a big reason to sit inside when it rains. We were there in January, expected a big rain storm, well over an inch predicted even a few days before, but we made it all day until 6PM with just a couple drizzle's. By 6PM it was coming down and my wife and I headed to Trader Sam's. That said during the day we put on our rain jackets and went about our day. The good thing about the rain is the fair weather park visitors freak out and run inside or leave, leaving with you some great rides and shorter lines (as long as there is no thunder/lightening).

It rarely rains all day! We just pop in somewhere when it does until it lets up.

I always wear sandals that can get wet. I'd hate wet socks (and I don't wear running shoes unless I'm going to the gym, but that's me, it's a fashion don't for me). Sandals that dry fast are so much better!

I wouldn't plan a day or even much time at all in the arcade. It's handy for folks doing laundry next to it (the laundry room is next door). Years ago, we met the couple that worked for the company that ran both (the hotel didn't run it), and they were so sweet & gave my kids a handful of tokens to play games while I did our laundry (back when it was tokens).

I just plan my day knowing it may rain, maybe have an umbrella in my purse, and go with the flow.

Who do you use to get to Dolphin. To/From MCO.

BUS?
UBER?
CAR SERVICE W/ GROCERY STOP.

How much do the varied choices cost?

Any recommendations for car service?

From what I read, most people have done Prime without incident. However, if the driver doesn’t follow directions and drops it off at bell services you will be charged by the pound. Because I’m paranoid, I decided to try Dizzy Dolphin delivery for an upcoming trip. They meet you in the lobby for sure.
You may want to check them out or give Prime a whirl.
Good luck!
that bad experience was me..... oy! charging by the pound for bottles of water! be very sure you use a company/driver that knows the deal there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter