Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Has anyone booked suites on points at either Swan or Dolphin and remember how many points per night? We will have 6 people so I'm wondering if 2 connecting rooms or one suite would be cheaper/better points-wise.

Help me out experts.....

We have a current reservation for two connecting double rooms for our November trip (5 nights). The rooms are balcony rooms/resort view. I was told we had to upgrade from the standard rooms in order to guarantee the connection.

I just spoke with Dolphin to ask if one of those rooms could be a King room. I was told I could only do a King/Double combo at the standard level. When I questioned the guaranteed connection, she said they could guarantee the connection at the standard view as well.

If we downgrade to the standard view, we'd get 8,000 SPG points back.

I'd rather get the points back than to have the balcony/view.

WWYD? Am I missing something or getting misinformation?

Thank you!

If we downgrade to the standard view, we'd get 8,000 SPG points back.

I'd rather get the points back than to have the balcony/view.
I would agree with you. If your priority is #1 connecting room #2 King/Double #balcony then go with #1 & 2. Views are nice, balcony is nice too but bottom line is it's a room, how much time will you really spend in it? I'd take the 8,000 point back IMHO.

So I called Dolphin.....

My original booking agent was correct. In order to guarantee the connecting rooms, you have to book at the balcony level and spend some extra points. We could book at the standard level, but the connection is subject to availability and there are not a lot of options of connecting rooms at the standard level so I don't want to chance it. We are also going at a busy time. I was looking forward to the balcony, so our reservation stands. Thanks!

Just back after a great 4 night trip to the Dolphin. Quick thoughts:

1. I always hear the Dolphin being a "convention hotel" as a negative. We showed up Thursday in the middle of a huge (2100+ attendees) medical equipment conference. Although the lobby was packed in the early morning, everything as dead between 8AM and 6PM. We were the only ones on our bus to Animal Kingdom on Friday, and the pool on Sat morning was deserted. I agree that the swarm of blue suites took away from the "Disney" feeling, but for the first few days I didn't the miss the crowds, strollers, and vacationers that descended on the property once the conference was over on Sunday. I'll take the conference every time...
2. Pandora was an incredible addition to Animal Kingdom, already my favorite park. Food at satu'li canteen was excellent. I though River of Lights was much better than the reviews.
3. Booked a "Grand Suite" parlor in addition to my 2 rooms on points, for a total of $270 (includes $30 tax) per night. They messed up my reservation initially so I did get the resort fee ($31.50/night, includes 3.50 in tax) waived for the entire stay. Valet parking was a $31.95/day, including 1.95 in tax. Watch out for these extras when booking here! The parlor section used to be $200 per night; not sure that the "Grand Suite" was any real upgrade- looked the same a the previous executive suite.

Great weather and had a blast as always!

Chuck

I always hear the Dolphin being a "convention hotel" as a negative.
I couldn't agree with you more about the conference, I felt the same about our stays there as well as previously at Coronado Springs. They didn't leave the hotel, the bus and boats were a breeze. Virtually nobody was in Picabu's for breakfast. The only down side was the bar was packed and loud at night, never used my drink voucher so I turned it back in at the end, but really not a big deal, Trader Sam's was way more fun anyway. My only "complaint" was during our last stay the convention folks setup some banners in the hall outside of our room and the hall. I didn't appreciate that, in the lobby area and others I don't mind but I was on vacation not there for Butterball's meeting. I do hope my comments I sent in will get some consideration... but doubtful when the hotel is booked 100%.

Just back after a great 4 night trip to the Dolphin. Quick thoughts:

1. I always hear the Dolphin being a "convention hotel" as a negative. We showed up Thursday in the middle of a huge (2100+ attendees) medical equipment conference. Although the lobby was packed in the early morning, everything as dead between 8AM and 6PM. We were the only ones on our bus to Animal Kingdom on Friday, and the pool on Sat morning was deserted. I agree that the swarm of blue suites took away from the "Disney" feeling, but for the first few days I didn't the miss the crowds, strollers, and vacationers that descended on the property once the conference was over on Sunday. I'll take the conference every time...
2. Pandora was an incredible addition to Animal Kingdom, already my favorite park. Food at satu'li canteen was excellent. I though River of Lights was much better than the reviews.
3. Booked a "Grand Suite" parlor in addition to my 2 rooms on points, for a total of $270 (includes $30 tax) per night. They messed up my reservation initially so I did get the resort fee ($31.50/night, includes 3.50 in tax) waived for the entire stay. Valet parking was a $31.95/day, including 1.95 in tax. Watch out for these extras when booking here! The parlor section used to be $200 per night; not sure that the "Grand Suite" was any real upgrade- looked the same a the previous executive suite.

Great weather and had a blast as always!

Chuck
Welcome home, Chuck. Sounds like a good trip. And yes, the resort fee and parking can add up.

Last edited:
home1-1366-video.jpg

Information on the 9th Annual Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic, October 26th and 27, 2018.

https://swandolphinfoodandwineclassic.com/

4.jpg

Looks like it is warm in Florida for the upcoming week. How is the AC in the dolphin rooms?

Unless things have changed since late December, the thermostat couldn't be set lower than 68. I called Maintenance and they came up and changed it for me! So if you have any issues with the temperature in your room, call them. They were very happy to override the setting so I imagine it's a fairly common request! ;)

So it's possible to book two rooms with points and then pay extra for a suite upgrade? Seems worth the $270 a night to have that large suite in the middle. We got that suite as a free upgrade once but I doubt that will ever happen again :rotfl2:

Unless things have changed since late December, the thermostat couldn't be set lower than 68. I called Maintenance and they came up and changed it for me! So if you have any issues with the temperature in your room, call them. They were very happy to override the setting so I imagine it's a fairly common request! ;)
Maintenance can place the thermostat in VIP mode, so the preset limits can be overridden. This also works for heating the room, on those nights when the outdoor temps can dip into the 30s. I was told that in order to raise the room temp to 72, the thermostat must be set at 78. :confused3

Ok, a few more questions from this Swolphin and WDW first-timer...

Service fees- do all restaurants have a service fee of 13% or just the Picabu? Any way to avoid the 13% service fee?

Microwave- pretty sure I read somewhere that a microwave is available to resort guests at the Picabu, is that correct?

Beach- is it a swimming beach? I've heard you can't go in the water in FL if it's a lake, etc., but I didn't know if it was a pool manufactured to look like a beach or if it was natural water that gators could indeed hide in...

Ok, a few more questions from this Swolphin and WDW first-timer...

Service fees- do all restaurants have a service fee of 13% or just the Picabu? Any way to avoid the 13% service fee?

Microwave- pretty sure I read somewhere that a microwave is available to resort guests at the Picabu, is that correct?

Beach- is it a swimming beach? I've heard you can't go in the water in FL if it's a lake, etc., but I didn't know if it was a pool manufactured to look like a beach or if it was natural water that gators could indeed hide in...
Welcome to the dis, Lpamama, and this Swan Dolphin thread.

ONly Picabu has the service fee. It is sort of cafeteria style, but there are staff there that help you some, bus the tables, maybe get you some things during your meal. Too many people were stiffing the help, leaving little or nothing. The 13% is for them. I usually leave additional.

There is a microwave in Picabu that you can use.

The beach is not for swimming. Looks great though. And the kids love it, building sand castles and all.

Is parking still $20 or did they raise it to $22 to match the parking at the parks?
Still shows $20, plus tax, on the S/D website.

https://swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html

5. Is there a fee for parking at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin?
Yes. The nightly fees for parking are listed below and subject to change.

Self Parking Fees Valet Parking Fees
Non-Registered Guest* $20.00 for each exit $30.00 for each exit
Registered Guest ** $20.00 + tax per day $30.00 + tax per day

*A non-registered guest is a guest who is visiting the hotel to use the facilities and services, but is not staying over night.

**A registered guest has a room reservation to spend one or more nights at the hotel.

Does anyone have a recent(ish) list of personal pantry prices? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra money to do FL Tours with a grocery shop or just Uber/Lyft and get a few things from personal pantry. Can't find the current pricing on the Swolphin website. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me about advance booking for the Swan/Dolphin? A friend mentioned she'd booked a couple weeks ago for April 3-8, 2019, and I thought it might be fun for our girls to be there together. When I looked, both resorts have no availability. It is Star Wars race weekend, but would it really book that far in advance? Right now I only see availability through 2/8/2019.

Thanks!

Right now I only see availability through 2/8/2019.
The Starwood Corporation who owns the Sheraton/Westin hotels has recently announced a change that might be impacting you as far out as you can book. Have you tried booking through the https://www.starwoodhotels.com/ website? They might have a conference during that time that is holding a large number of rooms, that is also a big Spring Break time so it really might be booked. I just checked Costco Travel for those dates and nothing came back, so it might be outside of the booking window. Have you called the Swan/Dolphin direct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter