Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Are ALL rooms at the Dolphin refurbed? It would be around $100 less today than the ones I have booked at the Swan but the last 2 rooms we had at the Dolphin were in bad shape.

Yes, all the rooms in both resorts should have been completed mid September. If a room has not been renovated yet (which I doubt there are any), it will not be available for booking.

Does anyone have experience booking a king room at the Dolphin with an infant crib?

When I try to book online it adds a $25/night charge for the extra bed (crib) in the king room, but doesn't charge extra for the crib in the 2 double bed room. I see that on their end, they're just accounting for 1 bed per person. We'd like to have the extra space for the crib in the king room, but don't really want to pay the extra fee for the crib in the king room, if we wouldn't have to pay it in the double room.

Wondering if I call and explain what our set up, is there any likelihood they'd waive the rollaway fee in the king room?

Considering the Swan/Dolphin is an extra $50+/night (just for parking + resort "fee") ... plus you don't get free Magic bands (so that is an extra $12.99/person) how are the average prices compared to similar quality Disney resorts?

Would Swan/Dolphin be considered a Deluxe or Moderate quality in comparison?
Do they have less of a Disney "feel" despite being so closely tied with the resort?

What's the deciding point for those who choose to stay at the Swan/Dolphin over a Disney resort? Just curious.

I like the concept of staying there (just because I remember passing those giant hotels as a youth and think it would be fun to do -- plus their location to both DHS and Epcot would be very convenient), but just hard to swallow an extra $50/night (I just hate fees).

Just looking at a potential future trip with my family (two young kids) and my parents. Staying at one of the resorts that are close to at least one of the parks would be fun, so just looking at all my options.

@tlmadden73 The Swan and Dolphin are deluxe by Disney standards--and I think by most people's standards. It is a truly luxurious resort with an excellent staff who all go above and beyond to help make your stay magical.

The resort rooms are accessible only by interior corridors. You have several fine and casual dining options. The pool complex is fabulous and contains 4 hot tubs. You already know how great location is.

The rates vary greatly depending on the time of year and whether they have any events happening. My extended family and I got an executive suite at The Swan the past two years. They don't publish the rates for the suites--you have to call. I can tell you that it was surprisingly affordable when divided between two families. It may be something to explore for your group.

I have heard good things about booking through Costco. The parking fee does add up, and I would only pay it if I lived nearby and driving was how we got there. If you rent a car at the airport from National or Alamo, you can do two one-way rentals with the car rental desk in the Dolphin.

Also, you don't need to buy Magic Bands. If you have them from a previous trip, they will still work. All MBs do for a Swan/Dolphin guest is function as theme park tickets. They won't work as room keys nor can you use them to charge back to your room account.

HTH.

Considering the Swan/Dolphin is an extra $50+/night (just for parking + resort "fee") ... plus you don't get free Magic bands (so that is an extra $12.99/person) how are the average prices compared to similar quality Disney resorts?

Do they have less of a Disney "feel" despite being so closely tied with the resort?

What's the deciding point for those who choose to stay at the Swan/Dolphin over a Disney resort? Just curious.

I like the concept of staying there (just because I remember passing those giant hotels as a youth and think it would be fun to do -- plus their location to both DHS and Epcot would be very convenient), but just hard to swallow an extra $50/night (I just hate fees).

Just looking at a potential future trip with my family (two young kids) and my parents. Staying at one of the resorts that are close to at least one of the parks would be fun, so just looking at all my options.
If you hate paying fees, just add $50 to the room price and then compare rates. As @JerseyJanice noted, prices vary from 160ish to over 300 per night which is less than other Disney Deluxe resorts. MagicBands are not necessary, the tickets work fine but as noted old MagicBands will still work (ours from 4 years ago are still listed as active). You could consider a split stay to get the best of both worlds. We are doing Poly first (close to MK, free MagicBands, Magical Express) then Dolphin (close to Epcot & HS, better price). Also look into joining SPGs rewards program. They also offer a credit card that will get you points towards a free room.

Just as a comparison and to give you my thinking process....

I just booked the Dolphin for our April trip, and I am a huge stay on site gal. Love Disney theming and think on site is really important. This is the first time we will be in the Swan/Dolphin.

The week we are going is Easter week so rates are absurd. Highest I have seen since I've been going to Disney. We have stayed in AKL in a standard view for under $200 a night- never paid more than $221- and the standard view room at AKL is $376 with the current online discount. :faint:

I searched rates thoroughly and decided that, at this point, the Dolphin is the best value for our purposes.

The Boardwalk Inn for six nights (with the current online discount rate) on our dates would be $3260.68 for a Garden view room.

The traditional room at the Dolphin (cheapest possible room type) is $1721 including taxes and resort fees. When I add parking, it goes to $1850.

The Dolphin allows us to book fastpass+ 60 days in advance just like the Boardwalk, and we get Disney transportation. I already have Magic Bands from previous trips, and we drive so we won't need DME.

So we get a nice pool, comfortable, recently updates rooms, a great resort location, and perhaps a little less Disney magic, for a savings of $1410. I figure I can buy a lot of Disney magic for $1410. :tinker:

I watched this over the weekend-and am now super interested in this place. I've read they offer AP discounts...is this still true? Trying to catch up reading through this thread. We're planning on a weekend visit to the flower and garden show in April 2018 and this place seems perfect if I can get a bit of a deal. It looks like the Dolphin is $333+/night and the Swan is $300+/night for the most basic room available. Rough estimates or past offers would be great-I'm struggling to track anything concrete down.
Rates just went down for the Dolphin. I had it booked for April 2018 for $242 a night plus taxes and fees, and it went down almost $20 a night today so I rebooked. Total was something like $284 a night with taxes and fees. Definitely better than the rate you quoted earlier. Our week is Easter week. The Swan was a full $100 more per night.

Could be that the Dolphin is a convention hotel and there aren't many conventions during Easter week.

Rates just went down for the Dolphin. I had it booked for April 2018 for $242 a night plus taxes and fees, and it went down almost $20 a night today so I rebooked. Total was something like $284 a night with taxes and fees. Definitely better than the rate you quoted earlier. Our week is Easter week. The Swan was a full $100 more per night.

Could be that the Dolphin is a convention hotel and there aren't many conventions during Easter week.

Rates fluctuate all the time.

Certainly. I plan to keep checking and will cancel and rebook when/if they go down. I wonder how low they may go for a busy April week. $222 for a base rate plus taxes and fees seems pretty good for that time period.

My original msg got backspaced before I posted :scared: -- the rest said something like "always a good idea to check back if you've booked a refundable rate!" But you covered it :)

I wonder, too. Your new rate is pretty low for Easter! I'm on the watch for November/January, but have looked at current month rates out of curiosity. For Oct it looks like Swan rates go down to $135ish before taxes/fees, if one is booking on really short notice (like a few days) and not staying too long. My first time staying at the Swan, I think I booked about 10 days ahead of time and the rate was ~$170 before taxes+fees. But of course, this can also backfire during busy seasons.

So I shall continue checking right up until the 5-day prior cancellation window for Disney resorts ;) would happily trade one night at YC for 2 at the Swan!

Thanks! I'm debating whether to book it now or to wait. We'll be on site in December, and there might be a good bounce-back offer. However, since we are going purposely for the garden festival I kind of wanted to stay closer to Epcot, and all the resorts close to Epcot are Deluxe which would probably be expensive even with the discount. Torn! Really appreciate the information.

Thanks! I'm debating whether to book it now or to wait. We'll be on site in December, and there might be a good bounce-back offer. However, since we are going purposely for the garden festival I kind of wanted to stay closer to Epcot, and all the resorts close to Epcot are Deluxe which would probably be expensive even with the discount. Torn! Really appreciate the information.

Doesn't hurt to book now, if your credit card can take the hit. :P

You can always cancel and rebook if a better rate comes along. They have a five day cancellation policy with no penalty up to the five days prior to the reservation.

First and foremost, ff you have a Costco membership, check their price.

It's a Deluxe

Less Disney feel? Some ppl seem to think so. I have two friends that are DVC members that go to DW way too many times per year. I asked them both if the price I paid for my stay was decent compared to what I would have paid at BW or YC. They both laughed and said my Swan price was an absolute no brainer. They both downplayed the whole "disney feel" thing, but I'm not sure if that's because they are Dis veterans. I got plenty of Disney feels touring for 5 days. PLENTY. But that's me.

Deciding points for me:
-Price, and after discussions with several coworkers and disneyphiles... LO-FREEKIN-CATION.
-Walk to Epcot before most ppl can get to their bus queue.
-Walk to your room after Illuminations (and stop for ice cream at Ample Hills) before most ppl are at the bus queue, or the parking lot.
-The Boardwalk is at the Swan's back door.
-If pools are important to you - go ahead, read the reviews. I don't need to tell you how nice they are.
-Friendship boats. You are the first stop TO and FROM DHS. (Ummm....Walking to both DHS and EP is faster than the boat - you have no idea how cool that is in the am or at night. Epcot or Hollywood am emh - I'll leave the room 15 minutes before opening - well maybe 30 minutes for HS since there's no special entrance for Epcot resorts like the IG. )
-KIMONOS. HELLLOOOO? KIMONOS!
-Two Queens at Swan was also a factor for me.
-I had no car, but I didn't care. I almost considered the rental route one way each way.
-The DDP would not work for us, so I didn't care.

Factor in all of the prices, you'll make the right choice for you. Don't think Swan is some 2nd rate place, though. It's not some Motel 6. It's a deluxe.
If you can price out a dvc rental for yc/bc or Bwi they might get closer to s/d prices if you are checking far out enough to get the price break.

Include hoppers in your pricing. If you stay at an EP resort and don't get hoppers, you're doing it wrong. (imo.)

Check with some friends you trust that have gone to DW. Check threads on this board and others. Most ppl have the same exact concerns as you. I know I did.
I questioned magic bands, disney theming, the dining plan, airport transport. I made the right choice in Swan. Absolute blast. Oh yeah, there's something to be said about their beds. I don't travel too much for work, but the Mrs does. She (and plenty of others) REALLY like those beds. They are kind of a trademark of that hotel chain, I guess.

What is it about YC that you like better? I'm always curious why people choose the resorts they do. :)

I prefer Swan -- would trade the 1 night at YC for 2 nights at Swan! ;)
if the q is why I have 1 night at YC instead of just booking that night at Swan, it's a combination of discount + SO hasn't been to YC before and wants to try.

but, why I like Swan better: I think Swan feels and acts like an actual deluxe resort, whereas YC feels like "Disney deluxe." YC is nice, but I'm aware I wouldn't pay YC prices--with AP discounts, even--for the same resort were it outside of Disney.

I think the newly renovated rooms at YC are beautiful, and I love how close it is to Epcot. But I cannot shake the feeling that it's like Disney played dress-up in the deluxe hotel industry, or that the location/theme premium accounts for like 70% of the nightly rate.

At Swan, I love, loooove the pools (SAB is overrated imo), the employees, the rooms, the restaurants, the big-but-accessible resort feeling.
At YC, my biggest "pro" is the room, the pool is fine but frequently crowded, location is excellent, and the MB charging/room key is convenient.

That's just me, though :)

For those asking about king room and standard views. I was at Dolphin the week of Sept. 18, I'm a SPG member but the lowest tier so no extra perks. I booked using the SPG member lowest rate which was something like $200 per night after parking and fees and taxes, not bad. I did their new on line check in, which was nice and just mentioned in the comments that I would love an upgrade to balcony if available. I also put standard room with 2 double beds but I would prefer one king as I was solo. My only real request was early check in since this was a split stay and the second resort of it so I knew I'd be there early. I got there around 9 and my room was ready, score 1 for on line check in. My room was on the first floor so no balcony but it was a king bed room on the corner and I had a nice little patio. Score 2. The people two rooms down decided they needed two patio tables and took mine before I got there but since this was the week after the hurricane and there were still people there from that I didn't complain, just used my other chair as a table. I opted for the no cleaning extra points and started out with 4 bottles of water in my room and enough coffee for two days but had to call down on day 3 and request more water and coffee. Last time I did this option they left it hanging on the door every day without me asking but I was o.k. with calling. The day after I got my bag on the door that I requested, another bag was hanging on the door. About day 4 they came in and made the bed and emptied the trash, which I was actually a little upset about since the reason I went with the points thing is I don't really like housekeeping in my room and being solo I don't make a mess but just so happened that morning I didn't pick up my dirty clothes and didn't put up my electronic stuff like I normally do. I quickly learned the trick of the set of stairs that lead up to pretty close to the bus stop so never used the elevator the whole time I was there except on check in and check out day. My view:
CFjEXB8xN44cI7FtbJQXuUNGGOUCS5E66NPhEfAMKTcUr3MSbvrA9tBwZUDwRN9O0Au_kbtzjOHd74HdWD1p0GvmIMIjMG0b8hOG9209pbJRLQKCaIKT-a784fN2NKPl3RUvM0jxLg4up76OA-wALaFTOoL8Adt_r6GvIc8CAJJEa9e0wYh3MvciMiVDzDUFP1hsLPGSe674-4cni58dTNUSWXi8ygMKd-3Z9jeKitNWvM86Jy_qfNvLRkbToz6Z99LpYm6lG5rgPrqI_pzXXVux-Hk2n5_PZqWL6ntgHLZUy96J6nj4l__fVv6lZomubnhZpMSQ97bvc1Jl-SQJLzYLwgs8X6L6sJsg89wNi5F5GsJHz123vFrDKohP9vB7p0Kau4LhsyE_4JoanFKXuljBmuxnHjH6gxnoDiw8p3yyjwfcudjv4vF02arporTgGBw0_A4_V_n_-ZLsbjP3A_6nXi0RYIv-SXDuA08z6bNoP31tcwgFTI-Ly5OF7YJKIv6H5_GRFlgNueUgOwzqKSyGfRZJFCM70IcfklDIQGBns_2-fhEsUXm-MvHD_Cil7FtJ55z8-LbnuxPx9gOpxJp1w91x3O4RHAqjVbF1fA=w2050-h1538-no

Visitors - I had my patio door open and they actually went right into the room right by me as I was sitting on the patio, I guess they wanted to see the room.
I08R0QcnswXhwskMnloVrXgzy1YJecFa-VzgJ4mzxNoyJ4pcBjJeY9ScjXYvpv1KxB1gdkUclgcRFvgfjyHkGm4wNTNlc1HG5KxMuGohjDZSgG-nnj15G0XgtyJhjI9GoXRNG9yTyucjJ8M6_QnRA3PAe_lA-W61yRGFwLyElZb8whDqHTvxTsgWHqOO7GZchTX-BgoDeac92vNETxgFdH7BaHfwhtdTZpWdom4J8ufOwslM12reaLkfq58UTPtOfCI9I3pSdrFp_MkedF8k2oBrtraIpyNSx5FSnGowEBFeTDaXrEkLrL7CwXc5HppBfx2UL_5RJi4SgNcqd68TQEAdGZE9xyAM7q8VR_uiKFnGMxRRpI-PcHEr_0RAWmHvwXAfmyALdjveeeTnTlt21o9T-5IpxHV9Fph4hV573vyH7xkSVCTjCkekD5J7e2EebJHY9XfaTZdQDUd6lvXSrPt_GbLOthmr93V8wgkFqYluJIIQD4W6FCj1zQYxmU2BTXD92Vas4bWQqci16qyo17rGVDhDRcn5AnOsJemlh836mzxrqz1y0OG4qZs0iqZfKFL7ZErAfDuT7b9Mhb8uwlc09bobn7vtXDUta8zrJQ=w2050-h1538-no

You could see the high HS fireworks at night over the trees. I had a little bit of bad bus luck, one morning going to AK I was at the bus stop around 9 and after about 45 min. and no AK bus a nice lady went to the desk and asked about it. They said a bus was actually on the way from the Swan but it was already full so they were sending a floater bus right behind it. Sure enough the bus arrived about 5 min. later slap full but they crowded about 10 more people on it and the rest got on the next bus which was right behind it. Another morning had similar luck with a MK bus, it was an EMH morning but I wasn't planning on that, got to the bus stop around 8 and bus didn't come until about 8:50, again slap full. Poor bus driver was doing his best to jam people on but some people were really getting ugly with him. Again, another bus was right behind him. Only two bad bus experiences but I think next time I go in the morning, I'll walk over to Swan so at least it won't be so crowded when I get on it. Did have to wait about 35 min for one leaving MK around 10 am back to Dolphin one morning but I wasn't in a hurry so it was no big deal, ended up being the only person on the bus so don't know if they dispatched a special bus when the bus monitor person noticed I had been standing there for awhile. I had intended to just jump on the BW bus if it came first but it actually was a longer wait than mine. The only time we shared a bus with BW was after park close one night at AK, otherwise, we always had our own buses.

All in all a great Dolphin stay, all the staff were friendly and new lobby looks good. I thought I took pictures of the room itself but I guess I didn't.

I prefer Swan -- would trade the 1 night at YC for 2 nights at Swan! ;)
if the q is why I have 1 night at YC instead of just booking that night at Swan, it's a combination of discount + SO hasn't been to YC before and wants to try.

but, why I like Swan better: I think Swan feels and acts like an actual deluxe resort, whereas YC feels like "Disney deluxe." YC is nice, but I'm aware I wouldn't pay YC prices--with AP discounts, even--for the same resort were it outside of Disney.

I think the newly renovated rooms at YC are beautiful, and I love how close it is to Epcot. But I cannot shake the feeling that it's like Disney played dress-up in the deluxe hotel industry, or that the location/theme premium accounts for like 70% of the nightly rate.

At Swan, I love, loooove the pools (SAB is overrated imo), the employees, the rooms, the restaurants, the big-but-accessible resort feeling.
At YC, my biggest "pro" is the room, the pool is fine but frequently crowded, location is excellent, and the MB charging/room key is convenient.

That's just me, though :)

I did misunderstand you, then! It'll be our first Swan stay in March but we are confident we made the right choice given our travel style. We wanted a true luxury hotel and love the Westin brand, so it's great to read all this affirming our choice!

For those asking about king room and standard views. I was at Dolphin the week of Sept. 18, I'm a SPG member but the lowest tier so no extra perks. I booked using the SPG member lowest rate which was something like $200 per night after parking and fees and taxes, not bad. I did their new on line check in, which was nice and just mentioned in the comments that I would love an upgrade to balcony if available. I also put standard room with 2 double beds but I would prefer one king as I was solo. My only real request was early check in since this was a split stay and the second resort of it so I knew I'd be there early. I got there around 9 and my room was ready, score 1 for on line check in. My room was on the first floor so no balcony but it was a king bed room on the corner and I had a nice little patio. Score 2. The people two rooms down decided they needed two patio tables and took mine before I got there but since this was the week after the hurricane and there were still people there from that I didn't complain, just used my other chair as a table. I opted for the no cleaning extra points and started out with 4 bottles of water in my room and enough coffee for two days but had to call down on day 3 and request more water and coffee. Last time I did this option they left it hanging on the door every day without me asking but I was o.k. with calling. The day after I got my bag on the door that I requested, another bag was hanging on the door. About day 4 they came in and made the bed and emptied the trash, which I was actually a little upset about since the reason I went with the points thing is I don't really like housekeeping in my room and being solo I don't make a mess but just so happened that morning I didn't pick up my dirty clothes and didn't put up my electronic stuff like I normally do. I quickly learned the trick of the set of stairs that lead up to pretty close to the bus stop so never used the elevator the whole time I was there except on check in and check out day. My view:
CFjEXB8xN44cI7FtbJQXuUNGGOUCS5E66NPhEfAMKTcUr3MSbvrA9tBwZUDwRN9O0Au_kbtzjOHd74HdWD1p0GvmIMIjMG0b8hOG9209pbJRLQKCaIKT-a784fN2NKPl3RUvM0jxLg4up76OA-wALaFTOoL8Adt_r6GvIc8CAJJEa9e0wYh3MvciMiVDzDUFP1hsLPGSe674-4cni58dTNUSWXi8ygMKd-3Z9jeKitNWvM86Jy_qfNvLRkbToz6Z99LpYm6lG5rgPrqI_pzXXVux-Hk2n5_PZqWL6ntgHLZUy96J6nj4l__fVv6lZomubnhZpMSQ97bvc1Jl-SQJLzYLwgs8X6L6sJsg89wNi5F5GsJHz123vFrDKohP9vB7p0Kau4LhsyE_4JoanFKXuljBmuxnHjH6gxnoDiw8p3yyjwfcudjv4vF02arporTgGBw0_A4_V_n_-ZLsbjP3A_6nXi0RYIv-SXDuA08z6bNoP31tcwgFTI-Ly5OF7YJKIv6H5_GRFlgNueUgOwzqKSyGfRZJFCM70IcfklDIQGBns_2-fhEsUXm-MvHD_Cil7FtJ55z8-LbnuxPx9gOpxJp1w91x3O4RHAqjVbF1fA=w2050-h1538-no

Visitors - I had my patio door open and they actually went right into the room right by me as I was sitting on the patio, I guess they wanted to see the room.
I08R0QcnswXhwskMnloVrXgzy1YJecFa-VzgJ4mzxNoyJ4pcBjJeY9ScjXYvpv1KxB1gdkUclgcRFvgfjyHkGm4wNTNlc1HG5KxMuGohjDZSgG-nnj15G0XgtyJhjI9GoXRNG9yTyucjJ8M6_QnRA3PAe_lA-W61yRGFwLyElZb8whDqHTvxTsgWHqOO7GZchTX-BgoDeac92vNETxgFdH7BaHfwhtdTZpWdom4J8ufOwslM12reaLkfq58UTPtOfCI9I3pSdrFp_MkedF8k2oBrtraIpyNSx5FSnGowEBFeTDaXrEkLrL7CwXc5HppBfx2UL_5RJi4SgNcqd68TQEAdGZE9xyAM7q8VR_uiKFnGMxRRpI-PcHEr_0RAWmHvwXAfmyALdjveeeTnTlt21o9T-5IpxHV9Fph4hV573vyH7xkSVCTjCkekD5J7e2EebJHY9XfaTZdQDUd6lvXSrPt_GbLOthmr93V8wgkFqYluJIIQD4W6FCj1zQYxmU2BTXD92Vas4bWQqci16qyo17rGVDhDRcn5AnOsJemlh836mzxrqz1y0OG4qZs0iqZfKFL7ZErAfDuT7b9Mhb8uwlc09bobn7vtXDUta8zrJQ=w2050-h1538-no

You could see the high HS fireworks at night over the trees. I had a little bit of bad bus luck, one morning going to AK I was at the bus stop around 9 and after about 45 min. and no AK bus a nice lady went to the desk and asked about it. They said a bus was actually on the way from the Swan but it was already full so they were sending a floater bus right behind it. Sure enough the bus arrived about 5 min. later slap full but they crowded about 10 more people on it and the rest got on the next bus which was right behind it. Another morning had similar luck with a MK bus, it was an EMH morning but I wasn't planning on that, got to the bus stop around 8 and bus didn't come until about 8:50, again slap full. Poor bus driver was doing his best to jam people on but some people were really getting ugly with him. Again, another bus was right behind him. Only two bad bus experiences but I think next time I go in the morning, I'll walk over to Swan so at least it won't be so crowded when I get on it. Did have to wait about 35 min for one leaving MK around 10 am back to Dolphin one morning but I wasn't in a hurry so it was no big deal, ended up being the only person on the bus so don't know if they dispatched a special bus when the bus monitor person noticed I had been standing there for awhile. I had intended to just jump on the BW bus if it came first but it actually was a longer wait than mine. The only time we shared a bus with BW was after park close one night at AK, otherwise, we always had our own buses.

All in all a great Dolphin stay, all the staff were friendly and new lobby looks good. I thought I took pictures of the room itself but I guess I didn't.

Oh man. I really hate when Disney uses one bus for two or three stops and it fills up on the first stop. I can control how early I get to the stop and I don't mind getting there early so I can get on, but I can't control how many people get on at the first stop. That happened to us at POR. We waited an absurdly long time for a bus to AK at our stop on an EMH morning- presumably because the bus kept filling up at the first POR stop. Loved POR, but haven't been back since. Good to know that walking to Swan can help fix that problem. How long is that walk? And do the Swan and Dolphin have the times board for the buses? I assume not.

Thanks for the info. Can't see your pics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter