Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Does anyone know when Dolphin and Swan going to officially be switched over to being managed by Marriott?

Does anyone know when Dolphin and Swan going to officially be switched over to being managed by Marriott?

I assume that the S&D will continue to be managed under the Westin and Sheraton brands, but under the umbrella of Marriott. Everything I have heard is that all the Starwood brands will survive the merger. However, I don't know if the management contract the owners of the Swan and Dolphin (Tishman and MetLife) have with Starwood will survive the merger, or it they will look elsewhere.

We were just at the Boardwalk area walking around and were very shocked to see some small fireworks going off right at Swan and Dolphin. Is this a new amenity they do nightly? We are getting married there next March and would LOVE if this was an added thing we could watch during our reception!

We were just at the Boardwalk area walking around and were very shocked to see some small fireworks going off right at Swan and Dolphin. Is this a new amenity they do nightly? We are getting married there next March and would LOVE if this was an added thing we could watch during our reception!

They could have been the Hollywood Studios fireworks...? You could check the schedule to see if it coincides with the time you witnessed the display...

They could have been the Hollywood Studios fireworks...? You could check the schedule to see if it coincides with the time you witnessed the display...
I know for sure they weren't HS fireworks, they started at 8:45 and lasted only 5 minutes (the night we were there HS had Star Wars fireworks at 9:30). Also, the fireworks were coming directly from the beach area near the S&D pool, and were relatively small (no large overhead fireworks)...

I know for sure they weren't HS fireworks, they started at 8:45 and lasted only 5 minutes (the night we were there HS had Star Wars fireworks at 9:30). Also, the fireworks were coming directly from the beach area near the S&D pool, and were relatively small (no large overhead fireworks)...
Maybe related to a convention, as you mention the beach.

I assume that the S&D will continue to be managed under the Westin and Sheraton brands, but under the umbrella of Marriott. Everything I have heard is that all the Starwood brands will survive the merger. However, I don't know if the management contract the owners of the Swan and Dolphin (Tishman and MetLife) have with Starwood will survive the merger, or it they will look elsewhere.
The reason I was wondering is I was considering getting a credit card to use to earn points for a free stay at either the Dolphin or Swan next year. I was wondering which one to get, Marriott or Starwood AmEx, or perhaps there is a different one that would be better??

The reason I was wondering is I was considering getting a credit card to use to earn points for a free stay at either the Dolphin or Swan next year. I was wondering which one to get, Marriott or Starwood AmEx, or perhaps there is a different one that would be better??

I have both cards and use our points for free stays everytime we go. If you want to stay at the swan and dolphin get the amex card. the points can transfer between the two rewards programs (marriott and starwood) but it isn't one to one value. so you will have more points for your stay if they originate on the starwood card. if you want a referral link to either card let me know and i can send you one. will help me rack up them points too! :) or if you have any questions about either card feel free to ask!

Dave, I'd check again. SPG is great about award nights - if there are rooms available to book with cash, you can book with points. I always call to book to get a points upgrade (just a balcony but it's something), but you shouldn't have too much trouble. There might be a few days each month that are booked up but not whole months.
WHy does calling make a better booking on points? Is there upgrade for this? I always end up with a lovely view from the room...but curious

I agree with @Kelly25 to get the SPG Amex first, as the current offer is slightly better versus Marriott (plus you have access to Amex offers and the fee is waived for the first year). SPG lets you combine points with your spouse, so my husband and I both signed up for new accounts in order to double our points.

WHy does calling make a better booking on points? Is there upgrade for this? I always end up with a lovely view from the room...but curious

If you book online, you can only book a standard room (10K points). If you want to upgrade to a balcony, you have to call to have them do that. I think it was an extra 1,000 points - so 11K for a balcony room.

Any idea as to when this be done? Has it started?

It has definitely started. We were there last week. The entire circular area (center of the lobby) was walled off. The high end stores are closed or relocated (Daisy's was split in 2 and the fashion store relocated there).

The bar/escalator area is open as are all the hallway entrances to the lobby, the front desk and bell service, the entrance to the conference center and hallway to Shula's. Surprisingly, it was very quiet and easily navigable around the walled area and the remaining areas were well-maintained, i.e., no nasty dusty or construction detritus. The bus stop has been relocated to The Swan until sometime in July. That was a minor inconvenience. The awnings over the walkway to the bus stop have been removed as well but the frames remain. All of the benches outside of Daisy's and the front entrance have been removed--presumably to facilitate the machinery moving in and out of the construction door which is just outside of Daisy's door.

Despite all of the above, the rooms were clean, the resort functioning normally (save the bus stop relocation) and unless you were in the area of the construction door--you probably would not hear construction noises.

We enjoyed our stay although less than thrilled with our room location 6185--loooonnnnnggggg walk to the elevator but a nice view of the pool and ToT. :)

It has definitely started. We were there last week. The entire circular area (center of the lobby) was walled off. The high end stores are closed or relocated (Daisy's was split in 2 and the fashion store relocated there).

The bar/escalator area is open as are all the hallway entrances to the lobby, the front desk and bell service, the entrance to the conference center and hallway to Shula's. Surprisingly, it was very quiet and easily navigable around the walled area and the remaining areas were well-maintained, i.e., no nasty dusty or construction detritus. The bus stop has been relocated to The Swan until sometime in July. That was a minor inconvenience. The awnings over the walkway to the bus stop have been removed as well but the frames remain. All of the benches outside of Daisy's and the front entrance have been removed--presumably to facilitate the machinery moving in and out of the construction door which is just outside of Daisy's door.

Despite all of the above, the rooms were clean, the resort functioning normally (save the bus stop relocation) and unless you were in the area of the construction door--you probably would not hear construction noises.

We enjoyed our stay although less than thrilled with our room location 6185--loooonnnnnggggg walk to the elevator but a nice view of the pool and ToT. :)

Thanks. Hoping to see the new and improved version in Feb!

Thanks for the update, Tess.
Thanks. Hoping to see the new and improved version in Feb!
I'm hoping by August.

That's all the info I have come across, ckelly. I would think maybe by end of year?

I asked that same question in the comments section of the article you posted. This was the answer . . . "While we don’t have an exact date, all of our info says it will be open by fall. I expect it will be open well in advance of the holidays."

I hope this is correct as we'll be there in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!