Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video, photos, info.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video, photos, info.

There has been so much information since the Disney Skyliner has opened up to guests with personal experiences using the Disney Skyliner wheelchair/mobility scooter loading zones. And how things work for loading and unloading for the regular and wheelchair/mobility scooter.

The following comments were gathered from my previous posts of other guest's experiences in this thread offering their personal observations over time.

I don't know if these observations are all factual since I haven't read anything officially from Disney.

I don't know if all my following comments from others will hold in the future, but I enjoyed learning so much from other DIS posters.

I guess I am just trying to organize all of the information I've learned so far.

Four of the five Disney Skyliner Gondola Stations have separate loading and unloading queues. A longer regular Disney Skyliner for walkers and strollers. And a smaller, separate queue for wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

Those stations with a separate queue for wheelchairs and mobility scooters are:

The Disney Caribbean Skyliner Gondola Station (Main hub connecting three stations.
The Disney EPCOT Skyliner Gondola Station
The Disney Pop Century Resort, and the Disney Art of Animation Skyliner Gondola Station.
The Disney Hollywood Studio Skyliner Gondola Station.

The fifth Skyliner Gondola Station is not an end station like the other four Skyliner Gondola Stations.

The Disney Riviera Skyliner Gondola Station is a mid-station located between the two end stations called the Disney Caribbean Skyliner Gondola Station and the Disney EPCOT Skyliner Gondola Station.

The Disney Riviera Skyliner Gondola Station also has a 90-degree Turn Unit. And the Disney Riviera Skyliner Gondola Station has a longer loading/unloading station platform with no separate loading zones for wheelchairs/mobility scooters.

The diagram of loading and unloading gondolas by bioreconstruct. When I rode the gondolas, they behaved exactly as bioreconstruct described.

There were never more than two gondolas stopped in the wheelchairs/mobility scooters section or second row.

When waiting in the queue, the Disney cast member always instructed the wheelchair or mobility scooter to slowly enter first to the opposite side of the gondola with a metal bar or footrest before other guests enter.

Then the Disney cast member placed rubber chocks behind the rear wheels after turning off the wheelchair or mobility scooter power off.

You will be facing a huge window.

There are fold-up windows on three sides except on the doors that others can open or close if needed. There are also air vents under the benches.

When exiting backward at my destination, I could usually see my reflection of myself and wheelchair and open doors in the window to help me back up. I also looked at the edges of the benches to help me back up by keeping equidistance between them.

After I loaded into the gondola, I always saw the gondola in front of me waiting to get back in line with the other gondolas. It usually was a short wait.

Once I moved into that same space, I could also eventually see another gondola across from me leave the regular line. When that happened, my gondola moved into the regular first row.

When looking up near the end of the station, I saw a big wheel which was the main cable. When reaching about halfway to the wheel, I could feel the gondola latch on to the main cable.

Inside the station the gondola ran on small wheels instead of the main cable.

I found this interesting to me. Sachilles explained why the Disney Riviera Skyliner Station didn't have a separate handicap wheelchair and mobility loading zone like the three other Skyliner Stations.

Sachilles says the three other Skyliner Stations are a destination or end Skyliner Stations. The Disney Riviera Skyliner Station is located between two end stations of the EPCOT Skyliner Station and the Caribbean Skyliner Station.

Here is some information about how the Riviera station works differently.

You misunderstand. You can load and unload an ECV there, it's just a different style than the other stations. The other stations have a separate area to load the ecv's. The Riviera Station doesn't have a separate area, but they can load in the general area. That has the potential to delay things, as they may have to slow the line (or stop altogether) some to accomplish it.
The whole separate line thing is quite rare for a lift system, so many make due just fine with a station like Riviera. It just has a greater potential to slow the system down.

Its because it's in the middle of a line. It's a mid-station, so you can't really do that. You'd have to cut the line in half and have two end stations meet there. Which would cause people to have to transfer.
What you end up with is a station where the cabins stay in it longer, which is almost as good. It's made more complex because folks arriving at that station might not get off.

I like reading all of joelkfla's posts detailing his reliable info on the gondolas.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-been-discussed.924477/page-1095#post-8904632

Everything about wheelchair cabin management:
  • Wheelchair cabins are assigned at the beginning of the day, and are identified by setting a plunger near the top of the hanger.
  • The plunger causes the door opening rail to collapse, so the doors stay closed through the main unload platform.
  • The plunger also activates the track switch into the wheelchair unload area. As a flagged cabin approaches the switch, a chain drive activates and pulls the cabin across the switch.
  • Doors open as the cabin enters the wheelchair unload position.
  • Wheelchair cabins are unloaded and loaded simultaneously.
  • The chair is backed out.
  • The control podiums at both unload and load have a countdown timer.
  • Operators at both positions must be holding in a button on the panel when the counter reaches zero for the cabins to advance. If either is not holding in the button when the timer is approaching zero, a reminder chime sounds. (The chime can be heard in the door opener video above.)
  • The cabin advances from unloading to load position, while the cabin in load position moves around to prepare for re-entering the mainstream.
  • Doors remain open between unloading and loading.
  • The load operator briefly inspects the cabin, and then loads the wheelchair in a forward direction, instructing the rest of the party to wait.
  • Seats will never be folded during operation.
  • The wheelchair is instructed to move forward as far as possible. ECV’s are instructed to pull up against a guide rail along the floor.
  • Rubber chocks are placed behind the rear wheels.
  • Then the rest of the party is invited to enter.
  • Both operators release the cabins as described above.
  • Doors close immediately upon leaving the load position.
  • After advancing around the curve, the cabin pauses for a few seconds before re-entering the mainstream.
  • Empty wheelchair cabins will not be available to load at the regular load platform. Doors will remain closed, and the cabins remain empty.
  • Wheelchair entrance to Pop/AoA, DHS and Epcot stations is through the exit.
  • You may request an unwrapped cabin for better sightseeing, but the wait maybe longer.
  • Capacity is 1 wheelchair/ecv plus 6 more but maybe less for very large ecv, as they do not fold the seat.
  • I was told that the Epcot line will be stopped for wheelchair loading at Riviera. In fact, I was going to get off at Riviera on my ecv to look around, but they requested that I not.
  • CBR station has wi-fi, but it's neither Disney-Guest nor any of the resort wi-fi. Instead, they named it Disney Skyliner. You might have to connect to it the first time.
  • The mysterious green and red lights behind the doors are nothing more than a power indicator. Close up, they have the familiar I within a circle. When they're green, lights and sound are powered on. They look like they may actually be a push-button switch, but the cm I talked to didn't know.
  • I was riding on my ECV. The cabins also got a bit uncomfortable in the stations, but I attribute that to the fact that the wheelchair cabins spend a lot more time in the stations, much of it with the doors closed. There's no perceptible airflow when the cabins are moving at load speed.
  • Lines at the CBR station seemed to build throughout the day. As others have said, they were a tangled mess, especially the line for Epcot, which overflowed both the permanent queue and the extension taped out on the floor. It made getting to the restrooms difficult.
  • CM's said it's perfectly OK to request an unwrapped cabin, even in the wheelchair line. But it may take a while on the wheelchair line because there maybe only 1 or 2 unwrapped cabins assigned.
  • People on the board were wondering how the spurs to the storage yard connect to the main track at a 90-degree angle. It's simply 2 small radius curve tracks on both sides, with switches and a chain drive.
  • The CBR internal shuttle bus stops at the Skyliner station in both directions, between Trinidad and Jamaica, and on the return from Aruba to Martinique. The number of buses on the route has been increased from 1 to 2, so they're probably running about every 10 minutes.
  • I noticed the walkway from the bus stop to the storage yard didn't have any restrictive signs, so I rolled up and peeked through the fence. Very interesting. A chain drive moves cabins across the top of the yard. Drive tires move them through the switches onto the individual legs -- just the opposite of the switch into the wheelchair platforms. Those boxes are seen above the middle of the legs in the overhead photos shelter another set of drive tires.
  • The Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles can be any cabins, but they are predesignated at a specific spacing. Switching into and out of the WAV area is automatic; the cm's at the unload & load positions just need to hold in a dispatch button to enable it. A countdown timer on the consoles tells the cm's when the next WAV is expected to arrive. If either cm is not pushing the dispatch button when the timer approaches zero, a chime sounds to remind them to push it.
  • The WAVs are designated by a plunger being extended on the hanger. You can see the plunger next to the door opening mechanism. The plunger signals the doors to remain closed through the regular unload area and also activates the track switch into the WAV area. You can see this in action if you locate the door opening rail at the entrance to the regular unload area, and watch the rail move out of the way when a cabin with plunger extended approaches.
  • Since the plunger would have to be positioned by a tech person, I assume the WAVs are assigned at the beginning of the day and do not change during the day. That's when the chocks would be placed in the cabins.
  • You can hear the reminder chime sounding as a designated WAV approaches the regular unload area.
  • Question about where the wheelchair/mobility scooter chocks are kept? They stay with cabins that have been designated WAVs. It looked like they just tossed them under the seat when not in use.
  • Question about gondola cables outside and inside the Skyliner Stations. The cabins detach from the cable when they enter a station. Inside the stations, they run on an overhead track and are propelled by rotating tires above the track or chains in some places.
  • Question about the 90-degree turns in the Riviera Skyliner Station and big turn. On the turns, while the cabins are detached, the cable goes around a series of wheels which allows it to cross over itself and make the turn. It's a single cable from Epcot to CBR, powered at CBR.
  • Question about what joelkfla thinks the gondolas stop in the air sometimes. I don't know. A lot of people are guessing that cm's are stopping the line because Guests are not getting into or out of the cabins quickly enough. Another possibility IMO is that safety sensors are being tripped excessively.
  • The cabins do detach at the BW big turn. The cable goes around a series of bull wheels and crosses over itself to make the turn. I believe the design is for each carrier to always be in contact with one or more tires, a chain, or clamped to the cable at all times. The first and last sets of tires are turning at the same speed as the cable is moving, so the carrier can briefly be in contact with them before detaching and after attaching to the cable.
Here is the bouncing gondola part of the video. It was leaving the EPCOT Skyliner Station and then made a stop. You can see the gondola across the way bouncing starting at hour 1:02:22 as it approaches the BW/Riviera Turn. You can also see inside the Riviera unloading/loading areas. I saw control panels which may be used to slow or stop the gondolas.

The photo below shows a larger ScooterBug mobility scooter entering the gondola. This scooter almost looks like the design of the older ECV's that I used to rent from the WDW parks.

The photo below shows a larger Walker's Mobility ECV entering the gondola.

Cool video by Skip Porter showing one of the wheelchairs that Sue was talking about entering a Disney Skyliner Gondola in the station's accessible queue. The Disney cast member requests the wheelchair enter first. Then the Disney cast member places the chocks behind the rear wheelchair wheels. Then Disney cast member allows the rest of the gondola guest(s) to enter.

Please feel free to correct me if I have posted anything incorrectly.

Last edited:
Reserved space for future info and photos.

ky3qHJWs7zHV_W8X4F_h3lRBcQjk4IKXHQ4sysGtYC-ETV7qBmpWpubaPyaGjFKVxu-Nq9-dTO7T_7swPM-iQjyAT8Te7kU37ajhRWDKfGI-iDNI7xd_RXAKgW85rv6PbTGl3SC6I2MqSLhC40PHsdvyqZ6FU4jHnAq65kdJBk-OUYYNNmwClpCLJp5g2P_844plq59gUbPiDHPSrBBxwQaTcVPgrGM2o4yBCtAqR_SrYKib6xjY4Nr0mMhzPTlq6AXu751XCyu3DLL9-eZrqExctv5xrV4dTzaLXt9zlfuzLR1RFvN1rl83aorCy0GftWaj4CU1gNslkW7Av9ow_8N62NYLLFHuSDwFqf_v4Kwpx27NFxQEWzaondc7Mk_jJm9_5lO4QG78MK4DtRP-q0KBs6fS0uAnctjY5Bn3e96ThCJFUhCX48pW-T_p3PiIls4G46C_nwORv8Klo95byvc-oviPvPbXJ6UqwUffX-22mC2a6I30XbSRTtDfjgz9sCtoRIMUHWzpaM-1H2kYx2NQgyCIwz-J6MF7nWpbqu2jcJ8mY-d9GNCr3-MIP7jzICiBbw6PQwyofTfCUtCHvDsaq6xUKUNF0WJL5v-t3tujzWth_c3FNTd5VT2z_zyLXbp0Q95WKp6USWmR4Y7F5XobDk8hOUE=w1024-h576-no

lWMMHGaAbpGlsucvnt-voospItQeZmc9qJM6p2utixKlizPwfqZYJNahxGW-M4LUXHg4BuXhZQNU4qQSu8P7k4aAO5HC9dwy0_-w4N-3mANwgbWIUmpqG6osFTNUI4GVn3IH5SiEDxViCT5ge5DTIuAtLn5_EaXojWPdgUsGG2jhcDFbCx_bgBUVB5qrquWhITYsYRxG5mqqvwcWq9WcC2mLVPfKAtLp6aPKRF9b-kqgTDcFaaKfvahbcbT9QwuALNPsdB26sXXWdr0QazqGLO8fNIPIR8vpPV-ZW_LJzapQmmU-LBPemQ_LeRDLSAhIShLlAzlygOZ2rU2ey13ohw0FBw-2u9JWPcekEOWyRX4hyrBs5WLK9C7ygbMq1_F3q2ZccWRMhz5cVriuECHQwgHtHFvnpdAz6M9-OCKtlYTtabVohQ0GYpEqTxRhs4HM1CsDiGzgyDNmZsFm7GCHndByASwLayS4WUrKzE2Ve7B4Me8qf5rCrgPrbX58EyheW8EJsPGHaVbIfTxuQpmo3V9P7eFi92JuOGCSTdQvR2dvEhqQm6XTQAgHp7AEkaZf5izVwisOkx423XkCQd4hvPET3BMMHBI_I-30yPfNeWqLUDNIJcNU8F3zYAbp9AqbsnBKSOf7t9vwdAtcuPZLra7qHAxnmDo=w994-h663-no

53j365kYkZCWD3Q8QUoJohBdTP7vrjR3CSSwGa6ITdvMfZE4oqcwQeRHn1vaNejdba-WCIUO4xrlZD3KtJwQ-7Npo24veK_zoDCCGbF2-bepQTfDT4w-6tQw5EalfXNZ_VZB6zYX018msD6CgPePx1genLk6TlboJTEfuvguwtBAiyRa7V8K7L9rwIpCqMp9Az6j0txvEiYRWwG6vfjusYPernTTfyEIQgrgNIEdR4mTm01iBmZantdC2XKfqo5adx74bnladR0nIhXqXhTUxkDvBz_sGJvBGfsZmhlG40wbDYcCkIbbK8B3YzffWyysnR4X3mB6Keg5rYQ3MXcEctwyXY7qtwwwwybGaIYfQbl_jOH1GOu6mCdybPSZTVRRiBwEP8nmEcKKC-4CmmKxRTNN8REOpqkW-FUulhCpNgrd-TLYZIfOWk8E3fDW6wIObU29IPXogkLFlZLrqOn5G8sVg2qFjlS_UxylPdUk_ZsavkpuYEjMALU9Xy-xYRVEfLOQOqRqqOAwvyXrn-eN83NtOYyDlov6zN5MmVTArcnDNHoiMShjCR15XVfnIgOJ1LtO0g5FPxMzAIRoytGF5RhgW-WTUGfD4D4x1CA9Y1ruouD729C6Q59mXyd1sDLWP_qRO92SAMPf8zgwERFu6wXD1wEuA8s=w996-h665-no

pJU_phpebsd24ZmZHUpjXqBuI5_3MgGceF-_VMx26ELGZT-H2jp9E_tGWQc0DZoZniR-VHsahj7fQAkQaE5dHVSQlN_7deGA9UjkESqzB9hKVaxAK4DdOWZlCEDtqY9ovX56tOWxLC-gGuyOhRFmbn-ovZ4-bmcBfZ0WPiBqTIwEdS6Os9H2E4g6KKEtru78psnDTRonk04ujAju5gj49f5O4NCMIaKEA9gqhzKeXm27Z-X3UQwI1bc7P9vJriuKRw73IYzORknLjZNodqbn1Uw35Nkgoaso4ZS3Cq1tzrv2NU4VvsJy3ZJpmwnFZ2Xi6KjqZRmr_rUE24dZf6pEs8IcbaJEWdk0ltHTM_GvOqWzxwB-qqihieAXfNl2E5PCoZPnrLS9JlvFdNDpuKLi-M9Ku52H9lOEsKWf2aio4Cq-Q8VNLrDc3nyCJCcV356o0GclYBEu3yUogwgvlN_8BRk3B_f-NVMMjdU3_z4zYDggn5l9WAbIDFeuO6RCAjgYRSU-ru43poCcYsogUI_P-2ARksRTTxBehlpQ8A_hXOJgsUeJMCTx4PW_bHdLtuTJ5IgJ5Q1wXpeQM4LgWoxQnYjHYHSQhUakskxbqKp63_J94P-bUyyoIqK_eGP9RZVuDezhaYus8z_4xSBgiv90hgmjMqDXPCA=w996-h665-no

AfQjDl8vuFM0I-e2bjnvqWN7udBNTW3HdAK4W5d3Hrq-7-PdZniq0bNS8iPAV0iLx8rlIu6HFpv13kaI0U454P1IuLIGoEn3EfFv-Lt-AHXkRW85GqZXb51M2RVon-UROTQvrTE-gEC5rT-IfI54EZnYfJSoE3P2kCIPAggW3ehWc3a2p1e8kXfQeQuUsey-0Z878EUyD-77v0jLwySO19T8exs-LoUWNcEXPyUNSqjn8iHLidU9LXqDct_fykZAxgWBY2mYIJvAxxNL1_foURhWA1rLAb4ghZpkdEhqQuH3dBM8O6_--SoOlJbgKqvSeDbDeDTbwql0wr-UwiX1ur9VGn9q0E3De6AqIWujpd58kEViDD0zJ_NUKWsmLoknSNv8hJi_aWucx76NTzBK3_2NT1R_e_hOkLY8AUM3J3qbD3FrWDdpHksWnrR0krVDtWQh0QVWNZYyCZAdFWdjhfqrmdT5lRjX7VjbNwbamCko-uuv0qs-gQCdNFzSULG7ui3flIhjbGS5fUm9eaoXQJjvhH2lIqRhu3Xy1kq39pxwNth_FjhljBKNNpvTXrRrX0a4QS12Q9ETKets3VybDcdH4C78ZnZmbAHGgbDSPaO0IIFV7TdKijVhRtwu1ORtAmiD3qoHuGdiTZcpHDh4QlfJZwfPs30=w996-h665-no

snloYe9Bxu0Ef76t08OVJVxqK8q0x5sYrgno5bcRXjl97mp19pZopyoAx5buVAG-4opOtcOc8Cl6BS8ztcx8tMroGVxNYW3Bgi_M8qhzYUxiyqaPhcDqPqRTYdI65igbLeTtdW42i3BU6Jc47ecizefqk2m93gKAo3xbPxrfz2jBTnjukq2vOc6O4YaqOqmOr8RWNbsyeLk2VscCryIag3kc1mby5hIf2Z7jeJ_y_a03cbmO8M9o8PCAmJnUsvKe9uQBO9tMxJemql_JrgxkiJim4NUQgnm4oWfCQMk6lo1TN3uZ9A2kIguAWn-_BCAF5Ak9tUkukAfNLyoHAJL7xxhQEPJ7X5e9Rrhcz8UIEGLMHCWybBS0sElJfhL7Nb3YTWp8nsDXOGOuAaJY4uSROzAMqbqldDCJuWfgW9WjJp8NkmaDz3AgB8Hyft0M7MXwxwAHAdbRjS8Voa3395PcXbERZXNwAI4KiCGzhLS7xXnj68gff4t9axBS6_Ff8cc8Udkrd3W5oL-HaDtkCOQqx4D35Dg1_dSd9JG4KnbFwrnrHAUiwJRyp_m4vPgaajuSmyBrYguPp2oxPfrcVHHNh7TMurCguaOI34akrl55cQYIJ-kZBReVUdCLrkK5DFwEzATyIDh5GlWRqRBQoAnG_8lgpBwBAh4=w996-h665-no

Last edited:
I was trying to Google information about the new Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabins and what it would be like for guests with wheelchairs and mobility scooters wanting to use them. It was all very confusing to me and I guess I wasn't using the correct set of words to Google the information I wanted.

I posted a thread on the Transportation forum and I just saw a video of what the cabin would like from the company that might be making them.

NotUrsula posted this video and explained some information for me.

NotUrsula said,
According to the Doppelmayr marketing materials, the door opening is designed to be exactly the width of a shipping pallet. That would be a European shipping pallet, as Doppelmayr is a Swiss company. Standard European shipping pallets are 800mm wide (31.5 inches). The bench length is 2300mm (a smidge over 90 inches). If you look closely at the video, you'll see that the doorway is a tad wider at floor level than it is a little higher up, due to the placement of the hinge bars.) Also, FWIW, while Doppelmayr advertises these gondolas as seating 5 on each bench, Disney is assuming a load factor of 4 per bench.

The trick will be backing out of the car at the station. Unlike the monorail, which has doors on both sides, the gondolas only have one, so you'll have to back it out. The benches fold up against the wall, but if you have anyone riding with you, one bench will have to be folded down so that the person can sit (no standees allowed), which means that you'll have to steer to one side when you load and then straighten out again as you back out.

The stations are made with a second load loop next to the main track so that cars can be shunted onto that section for a slower load. Ramps are not necessary; the platform is raised to the level of the gondola floor so that it is a straight roll-on.

The entrance might be 31.5 inches.

The entrance might be level with no need for a ramp.

There might be a second area to move a gondola to stop it for loading wheelchairs or mobility scooters. (NotUrsula said,)
The stations are made with a second load loop next to the main track so that cars can be shunted onto that section for a slower load. Ramps are not necessary; the platform is raised to the level of the gondola floor so that it is a straight roll-on.

I mistaking wrote a question...I don't know why?...if I could drive on the moving gondola and writerguyfl said,
...The gondola stations have two loading areas. Most people will enter/exit the gondolas as they slowly move through the station. But, folks like you (in a wheelchair) will use the second loading area. There, the gondolas will be completely stopped.

It's tough to see, but check out the second video you posted right around the 0:52-second point. To the left of the moving gondola, you can see a stationary one. That's the second loading area. The way the system is set up, once you and your party are safely tucked inside, your gondola will be moved onto the moving line for your journey to the next station.

The set-up is similar to how Toy Story Mania works at Disney's Hollywood Studios. When necessary, Cast Members can flip the track so that guests in wheelchairs can enter/exit the ride vehicles. Once ready, they send those vehicles onto the regular track for the ride.

Guests may not be allowed to stand in the gondola.

The two benches are about 90-inches long and they each can fold up. (NotUrsula said),
Doppelmayr advertises these gondolas as seating 5 on each bench, Disney is assuming a load factor of 4 per bench.

(NotUrsula said),
Unlike the monorail, which has doors on both sides, the gondolas only have one, so you'll have to back it out.

I also saw this video showing the gondolas moving at a faster pace in the air and slowing down when in the gondola station with the doors open.

The video first made by Disney about the gondolas below:

Here is an older article mentioning that the gondola will be accessible toward the end of the page.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5171666/d...ondola-cabins-will-not-have-air-conditioning/

Last edited:
I won't be riding them - especially if there's no air conditioning. I'm claustrophobic to begin with, and the idea of being trapped in that little capsule with no air (especially when it breaks down - because, just like the Monorail, it will at some point) just hanging there... :::shudder::: You would see me dismantle that thing from the inside...

I'm lucky; my personal mobility device can probably spin around on my right rear wheel, and I would be able to drive out. But I can only imagine the amount of time it's going to take for our newbie ECV drivers to back out of that thing every time. And 31-½ inches seems a bit... squeezy on the door to me. (I need to go find a tape measure).

Thanks again, Ray - as always, you are a great source of pictures/video and information for our community! :)

Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video from transportation forum.

I was trying to Google information about the new Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabins and what it would be like for guests with wheelchairs and mobility scooter wanting to use them. It was all very confusing to me and I guess I wasn't using the correct set of words to Google the information I wanted.

I posted a thread on the Transportation forum and I just saw a video of what the cabin would like from the company that might be making them.

NotUrsula posted this video and explained some information for me.

NotUrsula said,

The entrance might be 31.5 inches.

The entrance might be level with no need for a ramp.

There might be a second area to move a gondola to stop it for loading wheelchairs or mobility scooter. (NotUrsula said, )

I mistaking wrote a question...I don't know why?...if I could drive on the moving gondola and writerguyfl said,

Guest may not be allowed to stand in the gondola.

The two benches are about 90-inches long and they each can fold up. (NotUrsula said, )

(NotUrsula said,

I also saw this video showing the gondolas moving at a faster pace in the air and slowing down when in the gondola station with the doors open.

The video first made by Disney about the gondolas below:

Here is an older article mentioning that the gondola will be accessible toward the end of the page.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5171666/d...ondola-cabins-will-not-have-air-conditioning/

I would not worry about no AC. they have windo and going 11-14 mph there will be a nice breeze and it really should not take long to get from one stop to the other a few minutes.

Thanks for starting this - I was thinking we should start a thread about it to gather info.

This is something I posted in a thread from December 2017, when it was a lot of rumors.
As it turns out, Doppelmayr, which was guessed to be the most likely company for the gondolas, did turn out to be the supplier
I’ll post more later, but the ADA would require that accessibility for guests using wheelchairs be included.

These are un-official blog posts that does mention accessibility for wheelchairs, strollers and small ECVs.
http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/07/24/wdw-gondola-project-now-official-meet-disney-skyliner/
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/depth-speculation-disney-world-gondola-project-will-take-shape

This is from the website of one of the companies that is rumored to be in the running for providing the system. They talk about barrier free loading for guests with wheelchairs and strollers.
https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/applications/urban/

I also have been assured that it will be accessible by someone in a position to know that information.

Regarding the just short of 32 inches width for the doors - Transportation falls under the FDA and must accommodate a wheelchair measuring 30 inches wide by 48 inches long.
These pictures are my daughter’s power wheelchair - looks huge, doesn’t it?

45640B44-ED47-4AC8-8D7A-8455F382BB32.jpeg
D538A08A-2FB0-42EA-BA29-FA1E2733756F.jpeg
It’s actully just a tad over 25 inches wide and about 43 inches wide.
Even the huge looking WDW park rental ECVs are close to that size.

Raysharpton I’ll start by saying I think you do a great job of posting great information for guests traveling in a wheelchair:).
I’m just a bit obsessed with the Disney Skyliner and have been reading about for months.
There is a long!!! thread in Rumors and news 278 pages :0
Lots of repeat information but fun to go to the beginning and see opinions and rumors.
One of the rumors is that they will be able to pull the cabins off for wheelchairs/scooters to load
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...n-system-read-post-1-updated-2-22-19.3578988/

E87F5DE6-A19B-44EB-BAB2-CB6BC465B6E5.jpeg 3689255F-D397-4B97-92EC-FBB8F7C2FAF5.jpeg These pictures are screenshots from one of the videos on the 2017 post.
They are a larger size gondola that can hold more passengers than the ones WDW apparently ordered, but from the same company.
These pictures show the level loading.

Articles and posts on the Transportation Board have indicated WDW will have a secondary track, similar to the accessible boarding area at Toy Story.

Another place for information is Rob with Passport to the Parks. He does weekly updates

Last edited:
2F095F32-6925-411B-8C10-B17C36ADFE8A.jpeg 601F0AF1-715A-4716-AB79-B236E571F5FF.jpeg 32EF549A-2296-4AAC-A0FF-779DCA56ADB2.jpeg DF9E6E5B-C303-4845-BB1D-F16288629AD5.jpeg EB5AC490-E385-42F1-A750-1767DDF460CF.jpeg 44BD488F-1A9A-4895-8119-C9D511F6940F.jpeg Articles and things posted on the Transportation Board have indicated WDW will have a secondary track, similar to the track at Toy Story Mania, where a car can be removed from the main track for loading.

These pictures are a little hard to understand, but they are screenshots from a video posted on a link the 2017 post.
https://wdwnt.com/2017/04/depth-speculation-disney-world-gondola-project-will-take-shape/

This is a direct link to the video, which shows the track transfer process, starting at about 23 seconds in. It is the Doppelmayr company, which is the company doing the WDW gondola system.

Note: the screenshots are not posted in order- I had trouble loading them

Thanks for starting this - I was thinking we should start a thread about it to gather info.

This is something I posted in a thread from December 2017, when it was a lot of rumors.
As it turns out, Doppelmayr, which was guessed to be the most likely company for the gondolas, did turn out to be the supplier

Regarding the just short of 32 inches width for the doors - Transportation falls under the FDA and must accommodate a wheelchair measuring 30 inches wide by 48 inches long.
These pictures are my daughter’s power wheelchair - looks huge, doesn’t it?

View attachment 384421
View attachment 384422
It’s actually just a tad over 25 inches wide and about 43 inches wide.
Even the huge looking WDW park rental ECVs are close to that size.

Hi, Sue. Thanks. I've been curious about the gondolas ever since the DHS started all of their construction with the new bus stops and gondola station and the temporary sidewalk from DHS to EPCOT. They finished the sidewalk.

Your wheelchair seems to be a much wider look in the photo, just like the photo of the gondola doors look much slimmer compared to their height to me.

Raysharpton I’ll start by saying I think you do a great job of posting great information for guests traveling in a wheelchair:).
I’m just a bit obsessed with the Disney Skyliner and have been reading about for months.
There is a long!!! thread in Rumors and news 278 pages :0
Lots of repeat information but fun to go to the beginning and see opinions and rumors.
One of the rumors is that they will be able to pull the cabins off for wheelchairs/scooters to load
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...n-system-read-post-1-updated-2-22-19.3578988/

Thanks, Weedy. That is what I read, too.

Hi, Sue. Thank you for the photos and video. The feature to pull a gondola off to the side for the wheelchair, mobility scooter, stroller, etc. will be very helpful for those worried about getting on board a moving gondola even though it is moving slowly.

I like the idea that one or both of the benches could be folded up to make a little more room if needed.
View attachment 384437 View attachment 384438 View attachment 384439 View attachment 384440 View attachment 384441 View attachment 384442 Articles and things posted on the Transportation Board have indicated WDW will have a secondary track, similar to the track at Toy Story Mania, where a car can be removed from the main track for loading.

These pictures are a little hard to understand, but they are screenshots from a video posted on a link the 2017 post.
https://wdwnt.com/2017/04/depth-speculation-disney-world-gondola-project-will-take-shape/

This is a direct link to the video, which shows the track transfer process, starting at about 23 seconds in. It is the Doppelmayr company, which is the company doing the WDW gondola system.

Note: the screenshots are not posted in order- I had trouble loading them

Hi, Sue. Thanks. I've been curious about the gondolas ever since the DHS started all of their construction with the new bus stops and gondola station and the temporary sidewalk from DHS to EPCOT. They finished the sidewalk.

Your wheelchair seems to be a much wider look in the photo, just like the photo of the gondola doors look much slimmer compared to their height to me.
Yes
That was why I posted the wheelchair picture. Most people guess it’s at least 30 inches wide, if not wider.

I would not worry about no AC. they have windo and going 11-14 mph there will be a nice breeze and it really should not take long to get from one stop to the other a few minutes.

Except when it breaks down (like the monorail) and you're stuck for an hour... Then it's a hot tin can baking in the sky. Bad decision by Disney, IMO.

So, if an ECV loads, (and it fits, barely) where are the people going to sit? It will take up the leg room the people need, right? And if it just fits, I'm thinking the seats are going to get the crap scratched out of them on a daily basis when newbie ECV users try to back out or in.

Except when it breaks down (like the monorail) and you're stuck for an hour... Then it's a hot tin can baking in the sky. Bad decision by Disney, IMO.

So, if an ECV loads, (and it fits, barely) where are the people going to sit? It will take up the leg room the people need, right? And if it just fits, I'm thinking the seats are going to get the crap scratched out of them on a daily basis when newbie ECV users try to back out or in.
From what I can find out, the ECV and wheelchair users would be ‘pulled out’ at the loading station to get into a gondola that would be pulled out of the line for stationary loading. So, the people getting into that gondola would be with the ECV user.
It appears the seats where the ECV would be parked would fold up; that is similar to the boats that go between OKW, SSR, PO and Disney Springs. There is still leg room.

From what I can find out, the ECV and wheelchair users would be ‘pulled out’ at the loading station to get into a gondola that would be pulled out of the line for stationary loading. So, the people getting into that gondola would be with the ECV user.
It appears the seats where the ECV would be parked would fold up; that is similar to the boats that go between OKW, SSR, PO and Disney Springs. There is still leg room.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the Rumors&News thread and this is my understanding as well. The benches on each side can fold to accommodate ECVs, wheelchairs and strollers. Presumably the device on 1 side with the bench folded and others in the party on the other side with the bench down. If a party has multiple mobility devices or strollers, I think it is likely they may need to split. That may depend on how many total in the party - I believe the gondola cars are intended for a max 8 passengers, and probably fewer with a mobility device.

stop will be very unlikely from what I hear they have back up generators that will kick in with in a minute or so and if they fail there is a back up to them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!