Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video, photos, info.

I just want to know since the cast members doing the rescue practice had hard hats on are they going to provide hard hats for the guests when there is a rescue.

I just want to know since the cast members doing the rescue practice had hard hats on are they going to provide hard hats for the guests when there is a rescue.

Typically, in a true rescue situation, the first responders will have on appropriate safety gear, and their first goal is simply to get everyone to safety as fast as possible. There isn't time to hand out hard hats, and make sure everyone's hat is adjusted correctly, etc.

When you look at ride & attraction evacuations at WDW, historically the Cast Members involved don't have a lot of safety gear on at the time. The Gondolas are a bit different, because they are a form of transportation, they are outside, they are overhead, etc. However, we don't yet know if they are wearing hard hats during training for safety, but won't be expected to wear them in an emergency - or if they will have them all the time, either on their person, or at their work station.

Additionally, I don't believe they have ever given Guests hard hats during Monorail evacuations, for example. Based on that alone, I would presume that the folks who rescue you won't stop to hand out hard hats; they will be focused on getting you out on the platform, and back to terra firma.

Typically, in a true rescue situation, the first responders will have on appropriate safety gear, and their first goal is simply to get everyone to safety as fast as possible. There isn't time to hand out hard hats, and make sure everyone's hat is adjusted correctly, etc.

When you look at ride & attraction evacuations at WDW, historically the Cast Members involved don't have a lot of safety gear on at the time. The Gondolas are a bit different, because they are a form of transportation, they are outside, they are overhead, etc. However, we don't yet know if they are wearing hard hats during training for safety, but won't be expected to wear them in an emergency - or if they will have them all the time, either on their person, or at their work station.

Additionally, I don't believe they have ever given Guests hard hats during Monorail evacuations, for example. Based on that alone, I would presume that the folks who rescue you won't stop to hand out hard hats; they will be focused on getting you out on the platform, and back to terra firma.

I was going on the fact that for years my dad worked heavy highway construction on an asphalt crew. (background on where I am coming from) When we would go to a job site sometimes several hours away either because we needed to get the camper keys from him or we were just going through to some where else (my mom and us kids) we were not allowed out of our vehicle without a hard hat on. Dad would have to grab a spare either out of his work vehicle or out of the control house. We also had to have closed toed shoes but we didn't have to have steel toed reinforced composite ones like her had to have. We were on the ground with the exception of the 3 steps into the control house which also served as the office. (I have more steps into my house).

I have never been evacuated off a ride or Disney Transportation or even off a ride at my local fair for that matter so I had no idea how those work, when I have seen videos of ones it seems it is the this is what this attraction looks like with all the lights on walking out and not the actual rescue.

This is purely speculation... For evacuations over land, I have seen videos showing a large scissor lift truck, which seems pretty straight forward. I've been wondering how an evacuation with the boat would work with ECV and wheelchairs. From what I can see on other videos, there aren't any kind of ramps or lifts on it. It just appears to be platforms of different levels with stairs. The above video (@ the 9:48 mark) shows an ramp that appears to be able to used at different levels of the evac boat. I'm thinking that they would use that for ECV and wheelchairs to roll down from the top of the platform down to the actual dock. What do you guys think?

I'm not really worried about evac. This is more a of an engineering "how would they do that?" kind of question.

This is purely speculation... For evacuations over land, I have seen videos showing a large scissor lift truck, which seems pretty straight forward. I've been wondering how an evacuation with the boat would work with ECV and wheelchairs. From what I can see on other videos, there aren't any kind of ramps or lifts on it. It just appears to be platforms of different levels with stairs. The above video (@ the 9:48 mark) shows an ramp that appears to be able to used at different levels of the evac boat. I'm thinking that they would use that for ECV and wheelchairs to roll down from the top of the platform down to the actual dock. What do you guys think?

I'm not really worried about evac. This is more a of an engineering "how would they do that?" kind of question.

My guess is that over the water if someone was in an ECV or wheelchair they would just carry the person and there ECV or wheelchair out more then likely put it on the boat on what ever leave was closest to them and do all of the gondola and then go back to shore and unload everyone and carry the person off I do not think carrying someone down what looks like one float would be thst hard. They do this all the time when there is an emergency at a building

I think one of the biggest reason why it is taking so long to open ( yes they do have work at the station but if they really wanted to all that could be done in a week or two) is because they are going over safely evacuation and what to do if ABC or XYZ happens.

we were not allowed out of our vehicle without a hard hat on.

That's a standard construction zone rule (if not law). Nobody is allowed within a construction zone without a hard hat, no matter how peripherally you enter or for how short a time.

It might explain why workers were wearing hard hats when testing the evacuation boat - I'd assume the gondola system is still considered a construction zone. Possibly rescue crew may not be required to wear them in the event of an actual rescue, or they may. I'm not sure if general CMs would be tasked with the boat rescues or if that would more likely be emergency personnel (such as Reedy Creek - that's who was practicing land rescues earlier).

Enjoy your vacation!

My guess is that over the water if someone was in an ECV or wheelchair they would just carry the person and there ECV or wheelchair out
It appears there's not a lot over over-water routing. Mainly Hourglass Lake. At CBR, it looks like the tracking is close enough to shore that the scissor truck will work.

if Hourglass Lake is deep enough, I'm willing to jump and swim, then just lie on the sidewalk drying off until they can get the ECV to me.

D9G_x0QXkAArtyG.jpg

[B]bioreconstruct[/B]‏ @[B]bioreconstruct[/B] 13h13 hours ago
More
A splice in the wire rope of Disney Skyliner. Multiple spools of rope have been spliced to make continuous lines. A rare photo. Splices will be near impossible to spot when the system is operating.

Disney Cast Members Take Over Operation of the Disney Skyliner

from blogmickey.

While visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios today, we noticed that the Disney Skyliner wasn’t being operated by the construction crews that we’ve seen in the past. Now, Disney Cast Members with name tags have begun training and taking over the operations of Disney’s newest transportation system. While they may not be in the Disney Skyliner costumes yet, this is another big milestone for the project as guest-facing Cast Members take control. Of course, we’re still months away from the Disney Skyliner actually transporting guests, but training has begun!

img_1950.jpg
org_dsc08352.jpg

Here’s a wider look at the departer and return view for the Disney Skyliner station at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

org_dsc08356.jpg

Hi, jo-jo. I'll be down in December and I will be staying at Pop again. I hope to take photos of entering all of the Skyliner Gondola Stations in my wheelchair and anything to do with wheelchairs entering the gondola itself.

I will transfer to BWV for a few days. I only own 50-points. I will take measurements of a BWV Standard Roll-in Shower Studio.

Another great video from Rob.
At 1:30 in the video it shows how the second line works. As a cabin enters the second line in allows a space in the main line so that a cabin waiting in the second line has a space to enter. Very cool

Joelkfla and DanBoris have interesting drawings on how the Skyliner Gondolas move between the two rows.

There is virtually no space at all between the cabins in the load and unload area -- certainly not enough space to insert another cabin. The cabins speed up slightly as they leave the unload area to open up some space between them thru the turnaround, and decelerate to close up that space as they enter the load area.

The way the 2nd loop works is that there are 3 positions. There are 2 cabins in the loop, at position A (presumably unload) and at position B (load). When loading is complete, those 2 cabins simultaneously move forward to positions B & C. A few seconds later, the next cabin enters the loop from the main unload and stops at position A, creating a gap on the mainline. When the gap reaches the exit from the 2nd loop, the newly loaded cabin leaves position C, filling the gap, and the loop is back to 2 cabins where we started.
View attachment 411529
BTW, there is no pushing of cabins in regular operations. All cabins in the station are driven by tires above the track which I assume are controlled by the computer.

Yeah, that looks like what is happening in this video. The sequence looks like this.

1. A unloading, B loading, C waiting to enter the line, D about to enter the loop.
2. A moves up to make room for D and C moves onto the line in the gap left by D.
3. B moves up to get ready to enter the line A moves up to load and the cycle repeats.
View attachment 412066

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts