Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video, photos, info.

So are they "pulling off" the cars for every single wheelchair and ECV? I thought that one of the videos that someone posted before it opened showed that is goes slow enough that a person in a wheelchair can just get on at the station while it is still moving. Am I imaging the whole discussion that it won't be an issue to get everyone on smoothly while it was still moving?
I heard that this is the only station that doze not have the pull off and that it goes slow enough that people could go on with out it stopping

So are they "pulling off" the cars for every single wheelchair and ECV? I thought that one of the videos that someone posted before it opened showed that is goes slow enough that a person in a wheelchair can just get on at the station while it is still moving. Am I imaging the whole discussion that it won't be an issue to get everyone on smoothly while it was still moving?
The Riviera station doesn’t have a place to pull off. I just don’t see how it would work unless the gondola comes to a complete stop. If I’m not mistaken, the walkway isn’t moving. If my front wheels get on a moving surface while my back wheels are on a stationary surface, it seems like it would cause my front wheels to swivel which would make it difficult to drive straight onto the gondola. I may be worrying for nothing but it would be reassuring to hear from someone with experience.
If the Riviera station doesn’t work out, we can walk to the CB station but we spent lots of points to book a week in a 2 BR preferred view. Six months ago I was so excited about the resort with new transportation that would be easier to load & unload without others having to wait on me.

There's nowhere at Riviera to pull off cars. At the very least, the line has to be slowed, if not stopped.

I can't find the video that was posted, but it showed a person in a wheelchair was able to get into the gondola without it being pulled off of the line or stopped. I think that it was slowed but definitely not stopped. I am not arguing that this should happen at WDW, just that before the gondola even opened, others argued that this system would be easy and flawless, and that those in wheelchairs/strollers/ECVS would be able to load without the system stopping. A lot of grief was given to those who questioned that the lines would be stopped often for this. So if every wheelchair/ECV needs to have the line stopped, or a gondola pulled off of the line, I wonder why they would not add a pull off at the Riviera. Why would they want to have to stop the line frequently? It does not make sense.

Logistics. Pop, AoA, and Caribbean Beach have a total of 6,400 rooms. Riviera has 489 (all number via Touring Plans plus calculated in my head :)).

But the cars should be moving through Riviera slowly enough that wheelchairs and strollers can enter and exit, possibly at a slight angle toward the direction the line is moving, to avoid being hit by a door. ECVs, well, a lot of users are less skilled than ideal and probably need the stop. Especially if they're backing up.

I can't find the video that was posted, but it showed a person in a wheelchair was able to get into the gondola without it being pulled off of the line or stopped. I think that it was slowed but definitely not stopped.
That was definitely the intent at Riviera, and how such systems work in other places. The cars move very slowly through the station. However, i’m not sure how WDW is currently handling wheelchairs and ECVs at Riviera - if they are allowed to board while the cars move, or if they are stopping the line briefly. I’ve read reports of both.

Enjoy your vacation!

My thoughts/questions: the reason for the gondolas being pulled off at the other stations is because they put blocks behind the wheels of the chair/ECV.
How are they going to do this at Riviera?
Will the Cast Member ride around in the cabin in the load area trying to get the blocks in place before the cabin leaves the station 😂😂

Has anyone rode the skyline using a Gold Mobility scooter with the canopy attached to the top? I picked this vender because their canopy looks to attached higher than some other vendors.

I would hazard a guess that as along as the canopy isn't more than 6 feet tall, it should be OK, and I'm willing to bet it isn't that tall. 🙂 I don't have the specs on the cabin doorways at hand, but if I had to guess, I would bet that the doors are probably not much shorter than a standard residential doorway.

I can't find the video either, but I found a photo.

The Riviera station doesn’t have a place to pull off. I just don’t see how it would work unless the gondola comes to a complete stop. If I’m not mistaken, the walkway isn’t moving. If my front wheels get on a moving surface while my back wheels are on a stationary surface, it seems like it would cause my front wheels to swivel which would make it difficult to drive straight onto the gondola. I may be worrying for nothing but it would be reassuring to hear from someone with experience.
If the Riviera station doesn’t work out, we can walk to the CB station but we spent lots of points to book a week in a 2 BR preferred view. Six months ago I was so excited about the resort with new transportation that would be easier to load & unload without others having to wait on me.
There's nowhere at Riviera to pull off cars. At the very least, the line has to be slowed, if not stopped.
I can't find the video that was posted, but it showed a person in a wheelchair was able to get into the gondola without it being pulled off of the line or stopped. I think that it was slowed but definitely not stopped. I am not arguing that this should happen at WDW, just that before the gondola even opened, others argued that this system would be easy and flawless, and that those in wheelchairs/strollers/ECVS would be able to load without the system stopping. A lot of grief was given to those who questioned that the lines would be stopped often for this. So if every wheelchair/ECV needs to have the line stopped, or a gondola pulled off of the line, I wonder why they would not add a pull off at the Riviera. Why would they want to have to stop the line frequently? It does not make sense.
Logistics. Pop, AoA, and Caribbean Beach have a total of 6,400 rooms. Riviera has 489 (all number via Touring Plans plus calculated in my head :)).

But the cars should be moving through Riviera slowly enough that wheelchairs and strollers can enter and exit, possibly at a slight angle toward the direction the line is moving, to avoid being hit by a door. ECVs, well, a lot of users are less skilled than ideal and probably need the stop. Especially if they're backing up.
That was definitely the intent at Riviera, and how such systems work in other places. The cars move very slowly through the station. However, i’m not sure how WDW is currently handling wheelchairs and ECVs at Riviera - if they are allowed to board while the cars move, or if they are stopping the line briefly. I’ve read reports of both.

Enjoy your vacation!
My thoughts/questions: the reason for the gondolas being pulled off at the other stations is because they put blocks behind the wheels of the chair/ECV.
How are they going to do this at Riviera?
Will the Cast Member ride around in the cabin in the load area trying to get the blocks in place before the cabin leaves the station 😂😂

Ray Sharpton, didn’t you just get back from a WDW trip? If so, did you try the gondolas? I really would like to hear how it was from someone who has actually tried it with a wheelchair with the gondola still moving as they enter.

I stayed at the Pop & BWV.

Room 0122 had no laptop internet and the phone was in/out. Pop said it was my devices. I felt usually lonely at Pop.

No problem at BWV.

I really liked them.

The first time I asked the Disney cast member if I could back my wheelchair into the gondola and he said yes.

I remember others asking about this because in a wheelchair/mobility scooter your back would be facing the other riders if you rolled in straight first and the intercom and warnings are on the front door behind you.

That was the only time I asked and did it.

It wasn't worth the hassle to explain each time. And it didn't make any difference to me since I was solo.

I also thought that if I rolled in backward, the Disney cast member probably would feel uncomfortable kneeling down in front of me to place the two chocks in front of the wheels.

As a wheelchair user, I have spent way too many times in front of standing guests smelly behinds if you know what I mean. And I don't think it would be comfortable for the Disney cast member to kneel down so close to me.

Most of the time when backing out of the gondola, I could see my wheelchair's reflection in the window and the open doors behind me or I could follow each bench edge when exiting.

I use the slowest mode.

I rarely had to wait long.

Most wheelchair/mobility scooter entrances were at the exit of the Pop/Animator, DHS, and Epcot. In the Caribbean, they were all on the end between the entrance and exit.

I didn't see a wheelchair enter at Riviera.

This was the only station that didn't have a separate wheelchair row where the gondola stopped.

I wish I had paid more attention. I can't confirm if the gondola stopped or just slowed down for unloading/loading wheelchair/mobility scooters.

I loved the gondolas.

I don't have any plans to go back to WDW since I had so much trouble getting up and standing this year. Plus my stamina was drastically down.

I don't recall visiting the parks many days nor more than a few hours each time.

I was unusually cold to the point of shivering, unable to use my left wrist, extreme pain trying to stand up and walk with my right foot.

I didn't feel the magic, I guess, because of feeling so poorly. I felt like I didn't want to be there so I went back to my resort and slept.

After my first ADR, I canceled the rest of them.

That's why I haven't posted as much.

I found the following video on the first post of page one of this thread by ResortTV1.

At the time of 1:41:24, you can see the gondola entering Riviera Skyliner station coming from Epcot going to the Caribbean.

At the time of 3:34:27, you can see the gondola entering Riviera Skyliner station coming from the Caribbean going to Epcot.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Pop & BWV.

I really liked them.

The first time I asked the Disney cast member if I could back my wheelchair into the gondola and he said yes.

I remember others asking about this because in a wheelchair/mobility scooter your back would be facing the other riders if you rolled in straight first and the intercom and warnings are on the front door.

That was the only time I asked and did it.

It wasn't worth the hassle to explain each time.

I also thought that if I rolled in backward, the Disney cast member probably would feel uncomfortable kneeling down in front of me to place the two chocks in front of the wheels.

As a wheelchair user, I have spent way too many times in front of standing guests smelly behinds if you know what I mean.

Most of the time when backing out of the gondola, I could see my wheelchair's reflection in the window and the open doors behind me or follow each bench edge exiting.

I use the slowest mode.

I rarely had to wait long.

Most wheelchair/mobility scooter entrances were at the exit of the Pop/Animator, DHS, and Epcot. In the Caribbean, they were all on the end between the entrance and exit.

I didn't see a wheelchair enter at Riviera.

This was the only station that didn't have a separate wheelchair row where the gondola stopped.

I wish I had paid more attention. I can't confirm if the gondola stopped or just slowed down for unloading/loading.

I loved the gondolas.

I don't have any plans to go back to WDW since I had so much trouble getting up and standing this year. Plus Imy stamina was drastically down.

I don't recall visiting the parks many days nor more than a few hours each time.

I was unusually cold to the point of shivering, unable to use my left wrist, extreme pain trying to stand up and walk with my right foot.

I didn't feel the magic, I guess, because of feeling so poorly.

After my first ADR, I canceled the rest of them.

That's why I haven't posted as much.
Thank you so much for the reply. Sorry to hear your health kept you from enjoying your trip.

I’ve been surprised there haven’t been more wheelchair users reporting their experience with the skyliner. I was beginning to think they just weren’t riding it. We’re staying at the Riviera next month but I’ve about come to the conclusion that it may be best to walk over to the CB station. I just don’t feel good about boarding the gondola while it’s moving, or having the entire thing stopped for everyone else. I guess now we just need to find out how long of a walk it is from Riviera to the CB skyliner station. I’ll have to make sure my battery is charged every day.

I’m also sorry to hear that you don’t plan to visit WDW again. I’m not to that point yet but most of our recent trips have been resort only trips which I enjoy. This time our kids & grandkids are going with us so we will be going to the parks. I may decide after this trip to stick with resort only trips depending on how it goes at the parks. I know what you mean about not spending much time at the parks. Just doesn’t seem worth the ticket price when your physical condition prevents you from enjoying it all. We’re DVC so exploring the resorts is still enjoyable enough to keep going for now but we’d probably sell our points soon if we weren’t using them for kids & grandkids.

I would hazard a guess that as along as the canopy isn't more than 6 feet tall, it should be OK, and I'm willing to bet it isn't that tall. 🙂 I don't have the specs on the cabin doorways at hand, but if I had to guess, I would bet that the doors are probably not much shorter than a standard residential doorway.
Thanks. For some reason I was thinking people were having to duck to get in the cars and saw that the Gold canopy looked really tall. :-)

I use a personal collapsible wheelchair and can walk short distances but not stand in one place.
I would like to know, if it is possible to use the normal line to board the gondola, if I stay in the chair untill just before boarding, then get up, collapse the chair and walk onto the gondola?

I am shure I've read something about it, but can not find it anymore.

I use a personal collapsible wheelchair and can walk short distances but not stand in one place.
I would like to know, if it is possible to use the normal line to board the gondola, if I stay in the chair untill just before boarding, then get up, collapse the chair and walk onto the gondola?

I am shure I've read something about it, but can not find it anymore.
I would talk to the CM at the gondola about this

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!