Walt Disney World in August

Having been to both DL and WDW during Halloween season, there are far, far less Halloween decorations at WDW than DL. And as others have said, only MK has any Halloween decorations, not the other 3 parks. Because we love Halloween, we were very disappointed when we went to WDW after doing Halloween time at DLR. So the decorations probably won’t bother you because they are minimal compared to what DLR does (going all out for Halloween at both parks).

As for the weather, it can be really hot and humid for sure. And stormy. But if you can only go in July and August, it is about the same as far as weather goes. The crowds can be thinner in late August when the southern US schools are largely back in session (I think the NE schools don’t start until after Labor Day, but here in Texas, we are back by the last week of August for sure).

If you want to avoid Halloween stuff of any kind, go in July or maybe the first few days of August. We go in August every year and handle the heat by either getting an ADR for lunch or going back to our onsite room for a break (shower and nap) during the early afternoon. It helps me avoid the sun at the worst times of the day, and the later hours for closing allow us to stay in the parks after the sun goes down.

We love early June but the last but the last couple of years we’ve had school issues/moving to deal with. But I think the crowds a manageable and it’s not nearly as brutal heat-wise as Aug. Prices were much better for us in Aug this year so we’re going to be gluttons for punishment and delve into the heat and humidity this year!

OP, if you can go in July, the temperature is somewhat more bearable than in August. Just don't go near the July Fourth holiday and the crowds should be relatively low (for WDW, which is to say, lower than horrible).

We were there this past July and the thing that helped me the most was a UV umbrella. I found the cooling towels to be helpful for about 5 minutes after soaking them. After that, they were just a nuisance. But other people swear by them, so understand that this was merely my experience, not a universal fact.

One great thing about July (and I expect August as well) is that the resort prices are much lower than they are at most other times of the year. That's why we were lured into a July visit.

And, of course, there are zero Halloween decorations in July. But please be very prepared for the heat and humidity. It can be crushing. Plan your days so you're out first thing in the morning, back at your resort for the afternoon heat, and back out in the evening, when it cools down a bit.

It's been years since we traveled to WDW in the summer, but we managed by hitting rope drop every morning, then headed back to the room around noon. If/when thunderstorms were about in the PM, we simply put on our ponchos and waded right on through. Wet feet? Who cares? The rain flushed out much of the crowd and cooled things down.

After sundown, temps were somewhat tolerable. WDW at night is another experience and not to be missed, imo.

If you are stuck with July and August and want the lightest crowds, go the second half of August. While there are fall themed decorations including pumpkins at MK, if you don’t go to the Halloween party, it won’t feel like Halloween. Now, I would never recommend then as a first visit because of the heat and humidity. Cooling towels, UV umbrellas, fans, avoiding the middle of the day, staying hybdrated… all help,that time of year, but it’s blazing hot.

I think another factor could be age. The August heat didn’t bother me when I was 42 but affected me more 12 years later.

I think another factor could be age. The August heat didn’t bother me when I was 42 but affected me more 12 years later.

That is the same with me and I live in Florida. I’m use to the heat and humidity. And I ended up going by ambulance to the ER from Epcot because of heat exhaustion.

I was there last August when the rain patterns were abnormal and the daily temps were like 10 degrees above seasonal. It was miserable, especially since it stayed really hot at night. But I have been in June and September with the more traditional summer weather and it was fine.
Unfortunately there is a world of difference between June/September, and July/August. In June/September the daily thunderstorms at least will usually roll in and cool the place down for the afternoon/evening. In July/August even if you get those storms it heats right back up again. We go in June all the time and it is fine. Of course, I have to admit we are going for 4 days this August to hit one of the Halloween parties, but I fully admit that I am really stupid to do this this year after swearing off summers following a 2022 trip that was just so hot.

I was there last August when the rain patterns were abnormal and the daily temps were like 10 degrees above seasonal. It was miserable, especially since it stayed really hot at night. But I have been in June and September with the more traditional summer weather and it was fine.

Same. We always go the first week of August for our anniversary and it's manageable with a mid day break and the afternoon thunderstorms cooling things off. It didn't rain but 1x the entire week we were there in August 2023 and was absolutely miserable. We're from the southeast and visit frequently, so not unfamiliar with hot/humid weather. I'm not saying we'll never go back then, but this year we will be there for our long trip in Oct instead. We are also going for just a few day in July with our teens. Fingers crossed for those afternoon storms to cool things off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter