Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. But that’s not what happened here. Movie still being released on the same day. The big Memorial Day weekend release... just to people’s homes rather than theaters.
Some release dates are being moved. That's what I was replying to. I meant the dates being moved is not a new thing.

Time to create a new routine, one that limits the amount of constant grim & often scary news.
So.. maybe a long drive, pick up a coffee or some ice cream from a drive thru & enjoy it! Take a walk.. but practice social distancing, do things within the constraints that help life feel a bit more normal. Surviving this, sanity intact means adapting.

Happy Sunday folks!

I think for places not on lockdown, this is doable. But unfortunately for some (many?) it's not. I know personally here (NB, Canada) we are still able to go for neighborhood walks, a fact for which I'm grateful. Drive thru is still available too, but I'm not comfortable doing so. Both personal risk factor, but also, I don't want to be part of their risk factor.

I think we need to move away from the all or nothing of the current season. I think it will be a year or more for those who need herd immunity/vaccines to be going to the parks. But as the numbers keep coming in and the models adjusting to be consistently under 1% mortality rate, places have to open. And when it will start small, by June/July most things will be open for most people including Disney. How many people are employed by Disney and how many others make a living because of Disney? We can not shut down the economy for a year, the economy is essential, and that Includes Disney. How our economy works will not look the same as 2019 and won't for at least two years, but it will be open with newly created norms. Masks, testing, a whole lot of hand washing and less touching, but open. Depending on actual numbers and how they follow the models as they keep adjusting, June 1st is a good projection based on today's data but of course will keep adjusting.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps equating the two: Disney and the global economy. The reality is, Disney isn't that important to the world economy. It's not essential. Disney could shut down for a year or two and the world would be just fine. Would Orlando area hurt? Yes. But outside of Florida the effect would be negligible except for their employees.

The world isn't going to shut down for a year+, and no one has ever suggested it will. It has always been very clear that essential businesses, the ones that actually matter to society and life and the world economy, will reopen as soon as safely possible. However, what has been suggested is that Disney is not one of those essential businesses, and that yes, it may take longer for them to reopen.

Here in Niagara they have closed all walking places like the Toronto beaches Boardwalk. The way they have layed it out here is they only want you to walk around your neighborhood. I don't buy that it's heavy rhetoric. There is a reason they keep telling everyone to stay home.

That is a strategy that works and is what John Tory is asking of those in Toronto to do if they can’t be in public places without practicing social distancing. Parks remain open for now for taking walks only, but play structures and dog parks are off limits. It could certainly evolve to a place here as well where if the small liberties we now have are not being practiced safely. I think that to those of us who are very stringently practicing the rules - the daily, hourly, reminder on every tv, radio or social media is less needed - since we’ve gotten the message and are already playing by the rules as set out. And will do as asked if the requirements change at any time.

I think for places not on lockdown, this is doable. But unfortunately for some (many?) it's not. I know personally here (NB, Canada) we are still able to go for neighborhood walks, a fact for which I'm grateful. Drive thru is still available too, but I'm not comfortable doing so. Both personal risk factor, but also, I don't want to be part of their risk factor.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps equating the two: Disney and the global economy. The reality is, Disney isn't that important to the world economy. It's not essential. Disney could shut down for a year or two and the world would be just fine. Would Orlando area hurt? Yes. But outside of Florida the effect would be negligible except for their employees.

The world isn't going to shut down for a year+, and no one has ever suggested it will. It has always been very clear that essential businesses, the ones that actually matter to society and life and the world economy, will reopen as soon as safely possible. However, what has been suggested is that Disney is not one of those essential businesses, and that yes, it may take longer for them to reopen.
It has nothing to do with the world or even national economy.
All requirements for businesses to shut down have come from the local/state government. Disney and tourism in general are economically essential enough to Florida that they will not be ordered to remain shut down for a year or two.

I think we need to move away from the all or nothing of the current season. I think it will be a year or more for those who need herd immunity/vaccines to be going to the parks. But as the numbers keep coming in and the models adjusting to be consistently under 1% mortality rate, places have to open. And when it will start small, by June/July most things will be open for most people including Disney. How many people are employed by Disney and how many others make a living because of Disney? We can not shut down the economy for a year, the economy is essential, and that Includes Disney. How our economy works will not look the same as 2019 and won't for at least two years, but it will be open with newly created norms. Masks, testing, a whole lot of hand washing and less touching, but open. Depending on actual numbers and how they follow the models as they keep adjusting, June 1st is a good projection based on today's data but of course will keep adjusting.
Economy doesnt mean more than lives. Something we all need to get accustomed to. I know from people in varying positions including management at wdw, uni, and sea world/bg parks. They are looking at late late summer/fall as possible reopening.

It has nothing to do with the world or even national economy.
All requirements for businesses to shut down have come from the local/state government. Disney and tourism in general are economically essential enough to Florida that they will not be ordered to remain shut down for a year or two.

And no one has suggested they will be. But state government still has to listen to top medical advisories - so if they say no large gatherings, well, that means no Disney.

If Disney is shut down, it means likely Las Vegas is shut down, concerts, sporting events, large universities, any large gatherings, etc. That is certainly enough to obliterate the economies of many metro areas in the US and certainly maintain a deep recession. IMHO, sporting events, concerts, and theme parks will likely be back on a state by state basis. Not making this about politics, but I see certain governors permitting said events, and others not. California's loss (financially), may be Texas and Florida's gain when it comes to major sporting events, etc. At what health risk, that is not known yet.

This is all making me horribly depressed. I'd cancelled our resort stay for late April already, but just rebooked in a Pirate room at Caribbean Beach resort for the week of Thanksgiving (crowd level 10! woohoo! ugh.) just so I'd have something to look forward to....but know it's very, very unlikely things will have returned to normal by then. I can't fathom Disney reopening this year based on everything the experts are saying about the need to keep this contained even after things are relatively under control for awhile. sigh.

If Disney is shut down, it means likely Las Vegas is shut down, concerts, sporting events, large universities, any large gatherings, etc. That is certainly enough to obliterate the economies of many metro areas in the US and certainly maintain a deep recession. IMHO, sporting events, concerts, and theme parks will likely be back on a state by state basis. Not making this about politics, but I see certain governors permitting said events, and others not. California's loss (financially), may be Texas and Florida's gain when it comes to major sporting events, etc. At what health risk, that is not known yet.
Noone is going to risk political backlash to open business at the risk of lives. It's already shown that a little pressure of losing office or being called out publicly over and over has a huge effect on people in power.

I am still optimistic for a mid July soft opening of Springs and resorts, the model that a lot has been based off of is still trending to be too too aggressive in hospitals being overrun etc. In some cases off by 5-10x even in NY, Coumo even said today they might have peaked still to early to say though. Plus with Italy and Spain new cases decreasing, things are looking better. Still need to stay home and social distance but these are good signs.

The IHME model that people and the White House has referenced has not been updated since 4/1, and they said it would be updated yesterday and as of this post still hasn't been updated. One could think it might because is has trended downward to not be as bad and might cause poeple to break there stay at home, which would not be good.

This all might bode well for everyone and get Disney open sooner, with social distancing of course. Biggest concern is a bounce back in new cases once things are relaxed.

I will say for one thing I will not be going to Disney if masks are required.. If someone wants to wear one they can, but the heat and humidity, yeah not worth it, plus they only do so much and most people will never use them correctly.

I dont think requiring masks is a good idea. Good luck getting kids to wear them correctly and not constantly fiddle with them. Half of the masks are ultimately going to end up on the ground. And that's a biohazard itself. And these masks you see everyone now wearing are actually not designed to be worn for a long time. They are designed for healthcare workers who frequently change them throughout the day. If you are wearing one for hours straight, it has probably become a germ receptacle and likely not giving you much protection anymore.

There is also a large segment of the population that is not taking the virus seriously. There are a lot of people think all this is one big overreaction. So trying to get everyone on board with mandatory PPE is going to be tough. OK sure, you could say anyone not wearing a mask can be kicked out of the park. But that's not the problem. It's not just making people wear it, it's making them wear it correctly. PPE is useless if not used correctly. If they are constantly touching their mask and their face, it's useless. And you think anyone is going to wear gloves at Disney World in 90 degree heat for very long?

If Disney is shut down, it means likely Las Vegas is shut down, concerts, sporting events, large universities, any large gatherings, etc. That is certainly enough to obliterate the economies of many metro areas in the US and certainly maintain a deep recession.

And they have already predicted a bad recession, even possibly a depression, globally, that is going to last years. So, officials are not under any illusions that the economy is going to be back up and running normally any time soon. It's just the rest of the citizens that seem to think so.

I think you’ll see the world opening back up in phases. Unfortunately for people on this board, large gatherings for entertainment purposes will be the last thing to get back to “normal”.

I agree, and I’m ok with that. If we can get some things up and running and get people back to work, and I can go to the store without this huge fear of catching this virus, which may or may not make me sick, I’ll be happy. I love Disney, and I rescheduled our trip to Disneyland for Labor Day weekend, but at this point if by summer I can go to a restaurant and my husband still has a job at full pay, and we are healthy, I’ll consider that victory. Disney is just not a huge priority.

While I know I have spouted a lot on these forums recently, I honestly thing the best way to predict opening is to “follow the leader” (as the Disneyland sing-a-long on YouTube goes):

look to Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland first for a model as to how and when the US parks open. Look at their timeline. We aren’t in any better of a position than they were.

look to Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland first for a model as to how and when the US parks open. Look at their timeline. We aren’t in any better of a position than they were.

I get what you are saying, but I don't know that I would say we aren't in any better of a position than them.

Hong Kong and Shanghai are much more concentrated population centers than Anaheim and Orlando. While no, our citizens aren't so great at following the proper protocol, there is a natural space and size that a city of 25 million just doesn't have. Also, with each day that passes, epidemiologists learn more and more information and while, no it doesn't seem they have the answers, as always with time, they are closer every day.

I know that looking at the numbers and the models yes, we can look at the timeline and see where we are, where we should be, where we will be. And according to that, I agree with you. We aren't any further along.

But, I would say that hopefully we are in a better position.

While I know I have spouted a lot on these forums recently, I honestly thing the best way to predict opening is to “follow the leader” (as the Disneyland sing-a-long on YouTube goes):

I would say Disneyland Paris is a better guide.

China's outbreak is atypical - they seem to have managed to contain it to a small area of China. But that makes China very susceptible to a big outbreak still, as soon as they lift restrictions.

Whereas the outbreak in the USA is following the same sort of curve as Europe, just about 10-12 days behind.

And no one has suggested they will be. But state government still has to listen to top medical advisories - so if they say no large gatherings, well, that means no Disney.
Welllllll.......not exactly.

Governors have control over their states. They have the power to open and close things as they seem fit. Gov of Georgia yesterday reopened the beaches.

If the Governor of FL decides it is time to open business and places INCLUDING Disney, he does have that authority. Should he listen to experts, absolutely, is he required to NO NOT AT ALL.

In fact the Governors can go one step further and actually override local cities and municipalities with an Executive order. This has already been done in many states.

So in regards to Disney, I would be looking more at what the Gov of Florida does in the future with regards to opening things up more than what federal authorities are doing. In most cases the Governors will follow CDC guidelines but they are not bound by the CDC.

This is no being political these are just facts.

Hong Kong and Shanghai are much more concentrated population centers than Anaheim and Orlando. While no, our citizens aren't so great at following the proper protocol, there is a natural space and size that a city of 25 million just doesn't have. Also, with each day that passes, epidemiologists learn more and more information and while, no it doesn't seem they have the answers, as always with time, they are closer every day.
Anaheim is part of the Greater Los Angeles area. It may not be quite as big as Shanghai, but it’s plenty big enough (18 million people!) that following making a great distinction between it and HK and Shanghai because it’s technically not quite as big seems like a risky strategy. Orlando is a much smaller than all three, but I’m not sure that ultimately matters. After seeing how COVID-19 was able to take advantage of MardiGras crowds to cause an pretty significant outbreak in the New Orleans area (which currently has an even higher death rate than NY) I don’t think populations size is the key factor here. It’s the standing practically shoulder to shoulder with strangers, which is a completely unavoidable part of any Disney park day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter