Walmart pickup on way vs Instacart to WBC?

BostonEd

I'd rather be skiing.
Hi,
We're arriving at Wyndham Bonnet Creek on a Sunday at around 5:30. Would prefer not to spend ANY time grocery shopping, since we're arriving on the late side. So, we are considering doing Instacart/Publix delivery.

However, I was wondering if doing a grocery pickup at the Walmart on Vineland would not be too much of a detour. Has anyone done this and how much time did it add to the trip? Does ordering wine complicate the pick-up, since I guess you need to show ID? I wonder if doing this might be less of a hassle, since with Instacart, I'll still have to hang out front of the building we're in anyway, I'm guessing.

Thoughts?

We just debated this same thing and ended up going with the Walmart pickup. I figured that I'd rather control my time than to mess with needing to wait around during my hour window with Instacart, PrimeNow was in the running for a while but we wanted some adult beverages, so that was out. So since we had beer and wine in our order we just needed to show ID during the pickup process, so no big deal on that, maybe 30 extra seconds on an additional screen on his handheld device.

We stopped and checked into WBC, dropped off our luggage to the room, and then went to Walmart. So not exactly straight from the airport, but it was probably 35-40 minutes round trip from WBC with the grocery pickup included. I clicked in the app that I was on my way when we left WBC. Honestly the longest part of the whole thing was the traffic light at 192 and Old Lake Wilson Rd., that's a wicked long light!

I love Publix, but the convenience and price of Walmart pickup won out for us, and we'll definitely be using it again!

Have you popped into the thread that is going about the new Walmart? I jotted some more experience notes in it and others have been noting their thoughts and experiences as well. It is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-walmart-on-old-lake-wilson-road-grocery-pick-up.3673605/

Yes, I saw that thread, but thought the Walmart on Vineland would be much more convenient. No?

I just did this today and it was great. I got an email when my stuff was ready, right at the beginning of the window and I picked it up. There's a whole separate pickup area at the far end of the store, your right if you're facing it. I called the number that's in the email, gave them my name and headed over to the pickup area.
Couldn't have been easier. This was the Walmart on Old Lake Wilson Rd

Not all Walmart locations have the grocery pick up. I do not see Vineland on the list. We used the one on N Old Lake Wilson Rd last week.

Instacart said they delivered our December package to WBC on our arrival day. When we got there, it could not be found.

WBC ended up opening an internal investigation and the manager went shopping for us at 9PM at their cost to replace our groceries and Instacart refunded us.

I will be doing my own shopping from here on out.

Yes, we're cancelling Instacart after this trip. Not because of anything as bad as you describe, but the value is not there at all.

First, you have to pay the Instacart subscription cost.
Then, at Publix and other stores, you have to pay higher costs for the items than what they cost in the stores.
Finally, you are expected to tip the shopper/driver.

With all those fees, you would expect white glove exceptional service. But that has not been our experience at all. So, we're cancelling.

We did the Walmart pick up and will do it again. was super easy, had very few substituted items and was fast. the only downside was they used a bizarre number of bags-really strange like some bags had only two things in it, several times over.

I did see Vineland on the list.
The walmart grocery app does not pull in the Vineland store. It lists one on vine street but that is a different address and store number that Vineland location. Walmart Grocery pick up has its own app. I would double check addresses before you order.

I posted in the other thread that our Walmart order got cancelled without notification to us. We ended up driving out there (the new Walmart) and spending over 30 minutes waiting for a non existent order. They also didn't answer the phone when we called to tell them we were on our way/had arrived. It was over an hour of trying to reach them by phone. We then ended up having to go shop in store anyway since they had no order for us. So instead of saving us time ended up costing more time than just shopping in the first place.

Also traffic getting there from Bonnet Creek was horrific.

We are going to try it again but a different Walmart (will be staying at a Marriott property in 2 weeks).

One other tip, it seems that they are somehow always out of Diet Pepsi so maybe don't try to order that. lol

Has anyone tried the on-line / store pick up for Publix? I'm thinking about trying that. I try to avoid Wal-Mart when possible. Never mind.....I see it is just ordering from the deli.

Last edited:
I tried Intacart when we stayed at OKW. It was convenient, but it caused more headaches that necessary. It would have simply been better to just Uber to do it ourselves. If driving, just go yourself. This way you can pick your own items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!