Walking a dog in a cemetery

I thought this thread was going to be about people not picking up their dog poop in a cemetery.

My thoughts, I live in Florid and we have lots of wildlife that can easily do the same.

She could have went another direction away from headstones, but seems like that option didn't cross her mind. If you had a bottle of water, you could have attempted to wash it away. I know my FIL mausoleum has issues with homeless going into it, sleeping and urinated in it. Security is starting to do a better job, but MIL complains about this often.

Reactions: rlk
I don't have a problem with a dog peeing on a grave. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, it's all part of the circle of life. I do take issue with allowing a leashed dog to pee directly on a headstone. If your dog is leashed you should have some control over where the dog can pee and I would never allow a dog to mark a headstone, I think that is horribly disrespectful of the care that the loved ones took to create a headstone and the sentiment behind it, not to mention the money that was spent.

I’m on my phone, so It is hard to respond to individual posts.
I really like that I learn about different ways and customs on this forum. Thank you all for the feed back.

I should explain that the cemetery in question is a Jewish cemetery and does not permit eating, drinking, picnicking or pets.

Also, not bringing my dad’s girlfriend was not a choice. We were at my mom’s plot for approximately 10 minutes.
With those rules, I can understand your response.

I think it's not ideal, but not a big deal. Headstones are outdoors, subject to all kinds of weather, wild animals, dogs, etc. If a dog pees on a headstone the next rain will wash it right off. I would be bothered by permanent damage to a headstone, a dog peeing - well, that is life.

I think it's not ideal, but not a big deal. Headstones are outdoors, subject to all kinds of weather, wild animals, dogs, etc. If a dog pees on a headstone the next rain will wash it right off. I would be bothered by permanent damage to a headstone, a dog peeing - well, that is life.

I was brought up Jewish and learned that cemeteries are solemn and sacred. My dad's girlfriend is Jewish and understands that this cemetery is a sacred site, that is why it was an awful thing for her to do. She is selfish and self-serving, that will never change.

I never really thought about how a cemetery could be a peaceful place to enjoy a rest(while alive), a walk or even a picnic. It makes sense that a lot of the responses thought it was not a big deal.

I really like that I learn about different ways and customs on this forum. Thank you all for the feed back.

I should explain that the cemetery in question is a Jewish cemetery and does not permit eating, drinking, picnicking or pets.

Also, not bringing my dad’s girlfriend was not a choice. We were at my mom’s plot for approximately 10 minutes.
Under these constraints then yes, it was highly inappropriate. It also helps that you later clarified about the GF also being Jewish and one would suppose sharing the same understanding about solemnity and respect.

In my city there are different kinds of cemeteries; what's acceptable totally depends on the facility . One is a massive, sprawling publicly owned park with bike paths and park benches and all of the things prohibited on your list are not only allowed but also very common. There are a number of privately owned cemeteries that do prohibit biking and pets. There is a consecrated Muslim cemetery with a huge locked fence; it prohibits visitors who are not Muslim entirely. The local Jewish cemetery may well have the same sort of restrictions you mention (I can't say for sure because I've never personally visited it).

We had a reporter and a photographer in the cemetery down the street from the station today. It was opened in 1849 and is full of history, walkers, dog walkers and picnickers.

Oh, and the story we are doing? Apparently it is a trend now for expectant mothers to walk through old cemeteries looking for names for their babies.....names that are not common anymore. Names like Barnabas, Hardin, newton, Octavine, Yetive, Winifred, Edna, Martha, Gertrude, Clarence, Melvin, Bessie, Hans and Adolph.

Oh those poor children!

Back to the main question: around here dogs are not allowed in cemeteries, for the most part. There are signs posted. I find it rude to bring a dog to a cemetery, into a restaurant, into the grocery store, etc. It's a dog, not a kid. Leave it at home for goodness sake!

Oh those poor children!

Back to the main question: around here dogs are not allowed in cemeteries, for the most part. There are signs posted. I find it rude to bring a dog to a cemetery, into a restaurant, into the grocery store, etc. It's a dog, not a kid. Leave it at home for goodness sake!
Do NOT get me started. I absolutely can't stand the new trend of bringing dogs EVERYWHERE . They are allowed in our local breweries. People have them sitting on chairs, eating off tables, drinking out of the pint glasses. It is absolutely disgusting and I can't believe the local board of health allows this where food and drink are being served.

Dogs sitting in grocery carts? I see it all the time. Yes! I would love some dog hair with my produce.

Hotels too. It sickens me to see Instagram pictures of dogs in beds with their owners. Imagine a wet stinky dog smell in that mattress. And the hotel proudly posts these pictures. This are upscale hotels, too. I just don't get it.

ETA- My laundry list of complaints above are just the tip of the iceberg with entitled dog owners. I am not shocked that some people feel it is perfectly ok for their dogs to go to the bathroom on a gravesite/headstone:headache: Some dog owners have zero respect and it is getting more apparent by the day. Then they will teach their children it's no big deal for your pet to disrespect a gravesite. Generational mannerless society coming right up!

Last edited:
Oh those poor children!

I can't find any restrictions on the cemetery my Parents are buried in on pets. It is a National Cemetery. This is, however, a ban on guns!
The cemetery my Grandparents are buried in.....2 miles from the cemetery my Parents are......prohibits pets and children under age 16 must be with an adult. That cemetery is beautiful, so beautiful is frequently used for newlyweds to have their wedding photos taken there. Go figure.

Classless
and I understand ur point of view, despite being in the minority on the thread.
There’s plenty of places to walk ur pet, a cemetery is not one of them imho.

Grin and bear it and keep your relationship with ur dad. It’s all that matters.
Sorry for ur loss ...

Very disrespectful. I love walking in cemeteries, so peaceful and not many cars. Our local cemetery has signs posted, no dogs allowed. I still see an occasional dog being walked, but always on the roads. Still, the city park is right by the cemetery, they could walk their dog there and not be breaking any rules.

I was always taught not to walk directly on the graves. So for a dog to be peeing on one is terrible.

My thoughts, I live in Florid and we have lots of wildlife that can easily do the same.

The oldest cemetary in our city, last August:

upload_2019-4-17_8-28-43.png

upload_2019-4-17_8-31-26.png

Dogs are not allowed in this cemetery. Or bicycles. There was a running joke in the mid 90's where people would deface the "No Dogs Or Bikes" signs on the cemetery gates to read "No Dogs ON Bikes."

Last edited:
I will say having a dog pee on a headstone is classless. And if the cemetery does ban animals, then the dog shouldn't be there. But I suppose it's better than peeing in the car.

But in general, I don't find anything disrespectful about dogs in cemeteries. I guess it's because of my attitude regarding dead bodies.

I can't find any restrictions on the cemetery my Parents are buried in on pets. It is a National Cemetery. This is, however, a ban on guns!
The cemetery my Grandparents are buried in.....2 miles from the cemetery my Parents are......prohibits pets and children under age 16 must be with an adult. That cemetery is beautiful, so beautiful is frequently used for newlyweds to have their wedding photos taken there. Go figure.

This one made me laugh. Where I grew up, there's a cemetery right across the street from the main high school. Cops are there almost every weekend breaking up groups of teens drinking in the cemetery. Clearly this is a much-needed rule in some cemeteries.

I wouldn't have let the dog pee "on" a tombstone, but I agree with others here, many cemeteries are beautiful and feature walking trails.
I am no psychiatrist, but it seems like visiting your mom's grave and having your dad's g/f there is the real issue. Best wishes dealing with this, but remember your dad is dealing with it, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter