• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walkie Talkies?

eeyorepatty

Earning My Ears
4 families are going to WDW in October, we want to be able to keep in touch without staying with each other all the time. Any suggestions on walkie talkies work out the best?

We bought the Sport FRS Radios from Radio Shack. We were used the same channel (11) and same private channel (35) for the entire trip and very seldom did we have any crosstalk from other's in the parks. However, was kinda disappointed with the range. Only seemed to reach across 1/2 of the park.

I was interested in walkie/talkies too. I see them in all sorts of price ranges. I notice some in the parks having trouble talking and needing to walk around to get a good signal and assumed that they got a cheapo set. What's a good brand or price range to look for?

When we travel to Disney we RENT 2-way radios (Nextel telephones), however the company that we always used went out of business so I searched and searched and searched some more and found another company that rent radios. Thier website is allradioinc.com.

They are VERY reasonable in price and you don't have to worry about getting a signal - you can communicate through the state of Florida!! They are used just like a "walkie-talkie". The only people that you will be communicating with are people in your group and your phone has a "call sign" on it. We use Disney characters as our call signs.

You can rent as many as you need. Most walkie-talkies that you purchase come in pairs, but if you need three you would need to purchase another set, with these you just rent how ever many that you need.

For us this is the best way to go - there is an expense but sooo worth it when communicating with others in your group in WDW.

Just a thought!!

Lisa

We have Motorola Family Band Radios and have never had any signal trouble in any park.

We just keep repeating ourselves because we aren't patient enough to hold down the button until we are done talking! LOL

We bought inexpensive 2-way radio's a few years ago, and were diappointed. There was no privacy as many others were using the same channel. We weren't into sharing the airwaves.

My wife and I now just carry our cell phones.

What about cell phones? www.wdwig.com presents info on the cell phone vs walkie talkies debate. Deb Wills prefers phones which is what we plan to use on our trip. That way you can be in Epcot and communicate with another group in a different park.

Our family was looking into cell phones (we all have our own), but the roaming charges are so expensive, that is if you decide to do a nationwide plan. The ones we are renting are digital phones that have a "walkie-talkie" feature. The range is through the state of Florida and we do not pay roaming. There is an expense to this, but well worth the cost. Because we are renting so many of them our cost is approximately $6 per day for each phone.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter