Walk Around the World commemorative bricks

About time, they are looking very old and dingy now and they were only promised until 2011.

Not off topic.... this is a great time to make lemon-aid out of lemons....

Consider the Security Mess of the Contemporary walkway. Because of physical constraints, imposed by the "loop" of the MK Bus lot?
The walkway has it's very own Security - it dumps just BEHIND the Security/Bag Check area for the MK Bus lot. And people are getting this. And using the Contemporary as a drop off.

Worse - the "loop" is now so crowded with Security vehicles that it's becoming as nasty to navigate as the old Disney Springs Bus lot.

Perhaps now, with brick removal, this Security Mess can be re-engineered. The MK needs a better "close in" parking location for Security vehicles, and a Contemporary Walkway that dumps IN FRONT of the Security/Bag Check area for the MK Bus lot.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
Yes the entire area will be reworked/upgraded. Permits have already been filed for the Contemporary walkway.

Trying to decide if I want to purchase the commemorative bricks. Each of my sons was given a brick by one of their uncles. I have always said I would happily pay for the original bricks. Not sure if I want ones that aren’t even identical to the originals.

Any idea about the weight of the bricks? I would be bringing three home. I know that I could order from shopDisney, but buying through the computer moves it even farther away form the original bricks somehow. Will these make it through security at MCO?

If anyone has any information on the “ornament” style, I would appreciate you sharing. I would also like to hear about purchasing experiences- two separate stops are required to purchase in the park. How long did it take to actually make the brick?

Trying to decide if I want to purchase the commemorative bricks. Each of my sons was given a brick by one of their uncles. I have always said I would happily pay for the original bricks. Not sure if I want ones that aren’t even identical to the originals.

Any idea about the weight of the bricks? I would be bringing three home. I know that I could order from shopDisney, but buying through the computer moves it even farther away form the original bricks somehow. Will these make it through security at MCO?

If anyone has any information on the “ornament” style, I would appreciate you sharing. I would also like to hear about purchasing experiences- two separate stops are required to purchase in the park. How long did it take to actually make the brick?
I sent an email to WDW guest services yesterday. Will report back when I receive a response from them regarding purchasing a brick.

I just saw on WDWNT, that they are going to be removing the personalized bricks at the MK. If you have a brick, looks like you can go to GS and then you can buy a take home brick for $10. Other than that you can buy personalized ones at MK or DS at $30-$50.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/walk-arou...s-near-magic-kingdom-to-be-removed-in-phases/

It's a good thing I read these boards! We've had a brick since 1994. I didn't know anything about the removal until I came here. Otherwise, I never would have known about the possibility of buying anything to commemorate it because my next trip isn't until September, after the deadline. And we never would have received a notification because we don't live at the same address we lived at in 1994, and we moved so many years ago, I doubt it would be forwarded.

I'll let you guess as to which one is ours-

I'm a little bummed out by this. My grandparents purchased a brick for me and my brother back in 94. Ours was one of the few bricks in really good shape because it was one of the few under the monorail canopy behind the ropes. I get why they are doing it though.

My parents bought my brick near the MK entrance when I was a baby - 25 years ago now. On all our trips, every single one, I have a photo of me posing near my brick. Photos of me growing from a baby to a toddler to a teen, on birthdays, graduations, and most recently on the day my fiance proposed at MK. Very naively, I had hoped to one day photograph my own children by my brick, and it brought me so much happiness that there was sort of a piece of me forever in my favorite place in the world. I know Disney is all about change and very few things remain forever unchanged at Disney parks, but I am still just incredibly sad about this. I feel like it's another example of Disney steamrolling (this time quite literally) over guests' sentimental attachments and those small little details and emotional attachments that made Disney feel special. And to add insult to injury, their souvenir "copies" of the bricks don't look at all like the actual original bricks. I hope one day they will launch a similar program so I can purchase a commemorative brick or something similar for my own children, so they can feel like they too have a piece of themselves in the most magical place on earth even for a while.

A little sad that our brick has been in place since 1997. We were told it would only be in the ground for 10 years and my kids have grown up seeing it every year that we go.

I'm not buying that they can't be removed individually. I think they just don't want to deal with the logistics of it (which I don't blame them).

There’s “can’t” and there’s “won’t”. The backhoe that rips these up don’t care if people want the brick.

Exactly. It would take way too long to remove each brick individually and there are going to be so many bricks that then don’t get claimed and Disney would be stuck storing them for a certain amount of time before disposing. And what if some bricks get damaged during the removal? Which is bound to happen.

Exactly. It would take way too long to remove each brick individually and there are going to be so many bricks that then don’t get claimed and Disney would be stuck storing them for a certain amount of time before disposing. And what if some bricks get damaged during the removal? Which is bound to happen.
Well they could require people to request them prior to removal, those that request get told there is no guarantee it won’t break. And those that survive and were requested get shipped immediately. They do know where they all are, so that isn’t a problem, and most people would not request them. However it would add construction time, it’s much easier and cheaper to just destroy them all and quickly pave over the area.

Last edited:
Well they could require people to request them prior to removal, those that request get told there is no guarantee it won’t break. And those that survive and were requested get shipped immediately. They do know where they all are, so that isn’t a problem, and most people would not request them. However it would add construction time, it’s much easier abd cheaper to just destroy them all and quickly pave over the area.
Yes, and to make more $$$ by offering people who weren't part of the program to buy a new brick.

The bricks can and have been removed individually, but that has been for small scale maintenance projects. Many times I saw them stacked up by one of the CM break area at Westgate. It is time consuming and the real bricks are heavy, so I can see them not offering this on a large scale project.

The cost to ship one to someone would be expensive and taking one on the plane home would easily cost you an overweight bag fee.

This is the response I received from WDW Guest Relations:

Thank you for being a valued Guest and a sponsor of “Disney’s Walk Around the World” brick program.

Here at the Walt Disney World Resort, we are committed to enhancing the overall Guest experience at all of our Theme Parks. As part of these ongoing updates, the personalized hexagonal bricks from the “Disney’s Walk Around the World” program will be retired as we literally pave the way for the future. Work will begin in front of Magic Kingdom Park and the Transportation and Ticket Center first and the remaining bricks will be retiring in future phases. While the “Disney’s Walk Around the World” program was only initially planned to be on display until 2011, we hope our Guests and sponsors enjoyed the time they have had to display their bricks.

Since these bricks were not designed to be removed individually, they will not be available to take home. Instead, Guests who sponsored a brick may purchase a commemorative version to have. This promotion code allows the original sponsor to purchase the commemorative version at a special price of $10 plus tax and shipping:

Your promotion code*:

This one-time use promotion code can ONLY be used for orders placed on shopDisney.com, once it is released on shopDisney.com at the end of April. Please note, this code will only be valid for shopDisney.com and may not be redeemed in person at our Theme Parks, Disney Springs, or any other Disney retail location.

Thank you again for your sponsorship and we look forward to sharing more updates regarding the ongoing enhancements in the future.

Best Regards,

Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

*Promotion code expires August 31, 2019. Cannot be used in combination with any other offers or discounts on the commemorative brick. Code has no cash value and may not be sold or transferred. Not valid on previous purchases. We reserve the right to reject any personalization request for any reason in our sole discretion. Once personalized, your commemorative brick order is non-cancellable, non-refundable, and non-returnable. Offer subject to change without notice. While supplies last.

We bought 3 bricks when they first came out in 1994. They were located directly in front of the Magic Kingdom entrance and it was the first thing the kids looked for when we got there.

I’m sad :( to see them go but I’m not surprised that they finally found an excuse to remove them. I’m just wondering what they will charge for the new bricks that they will add once they redo the area.

We will be there next week so I’m happy that we can get a commemorative brick.

Does anyone know what material the commemorative brick is made of?

Do you think I can sneak a chisel on the plane? Lol.

I am with you on being sad. I also understand that they couldn't live there forever. My parents purchased our family a brick back in 1994. Every year we went back we found our brick and took a picture by it. As I got older and travelled there with my husband I kept the tradition. With my oldest's first trip to WDW we took a picture with him next to it. And last year we got a pic with both of my kids sitting next to our family brick. So sad that this is where the tradition will end.

Anyone know when they bricks are going to start being torn up? Wondering if it will still be there for one last trip this summer when we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!