Waitlist Strategies

bvolek86

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

My wife and I just decided last night that we were going to try to take a little 2 night trip in November to check out the first stage opening of Galaxy's Edge and to see Food and Wine for the first time. We are looking at a check in of November 3 and check out of November 5.

We want to stay in a studio but it does not matter to us what resort we stay at.

After looking online last night, there is nothing available for those dates so we are going to have to waitlist. We have never had to do a waitlist before so I was wondering what strategies there are to help us get the two nights we need. Which resorts would you suggest placing our two waitlist requests at?

Thanks for the help!

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just decided last night that we were going to try to take a little 2 night trip in November to check out the first stage opening of Galaxy's Edge and to see Food and Wine for the first time. We are looking at a check in of November 3 and check out of November 5.

We want to stay in a studio but it does not matter to us what resort we stay at.

After looking online last night, there is nothing available for those dates so we are going to have to waitlist. We have never had to do a waitlist before so I was wondering what strategies there are to help us get the two nights we need. Which resorts would you suggest placing our two waitlist requests at?

Thanks for the help!
I would not waitlist single nights. I would put a waitlist in for two nights at SSR preferred location and the other for two nights at SSR in a standard location.

You could do OWK as an alternative to SSR Preferred, if you wanted a different resort possibility.

Just playing the numbers, stick with SSR.

Avoid the small resorts, particularly BWV and BCV since food and wine is still going on, and you will be toward the bottom of the waitlist.

Check on line periodically too if you can

Just curious, wouldn’t you be more likely to get a single night?
And is part of SSR out of commission during that time?
Just wondering we have had a 2 night waitlist in for nov for a couple of months and no movement.

Just curious, wouldn’t you be more likely to get a single night?
And is part of SSR out of commission during that time?
Just wondering we have had a 2 night waitlist in for nov for a couple of months and no movement.
You might be more likely to get a single night instead of 2 consecutive nights but what good does that do if you don't get the other waitlist? By choosing to use your two waitlists to request two nights in different villas, you double the chance of grabbing a weekend. Otherwise you're waitlisting two individual nights in the same view/location and minimizing the chance that you'll pick up both.

Even with a major refurb going on, SSR will still have more rooms in its inventory than smaller resorts. The OP could choose OKW instead of SSR, but given its point-saving value I would expect the waitlist to be longer there.

ETA: I expect to see some waitlist movement as we get closer to the 30-day point when cancelling puts points into holding.

You might be more likely to get a single night instead of 2 consecutive nights but what good does that do if you don't get the other waitlist? By choosing to use your two waitlists to request two nights in different villas, you double the chance of grabbing a weekend. Otherwise you're waitlisting two individual nights in the same view/location and minimizing the chance that you'll pick up both.

Even with a major refurb going on, SSR will still have more rooms in its inventory than smaller resorts. The OP could choose OKW instead of SSR, but given its point-saving value I would expect the waitlist to be longer there.

ETA: I expect to see some waitlist movement as we get closer to the 30-day point when cancelling puts points into holding.
Thanks for the feedback. We are waitlisted at OKW but almost put in at SSR.
Good luck, OP. We are not waitlisted on your weekend, so I would not worry about our lack of movement off the waitlist. We are over part of Thanksgiving. We have most nights but need 2 more. :crazy2: Should have booked earlier! Lesson learned.

Ok so I'm probably going to submit one at OKW and SSR each. If I'm reading the inventory sites correctly, it looks like I should waitlist the standard rooms over the preferred simply because their inventory is larger. Does that make sense?

Also, it's possible that some SSR rooms will be finished with the rehab earlier than expected and released back into the inventory. Some who currently have SSR may get their waitlist elsewhere and that will also free up SSR rooms.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!