Waitlist & cancellation

LAX

DIS Veteran
I realize this topic probably has been discussed in various forms many times, but am not sure in the following scenario. If someone cancels a reservation on a villa where there is an existing waitlist, does the newly available villa become bookable online if I happen to check at the same time or does it automatically get snapped up by the waitlist before it's released for booking?

LAX

I don't think we really know. There's conflicting evidence: people have seen rooms showing available online that should have matched their active waitlist, but people have also seen their room disappear from inventory immediately after being cancelled. So I don't think it's clear how the wait list works.

Agree that we really do not know.

FWIW, my theory is that the waitlist is a two step process. The first step is a "batch" computer program that is either scheduled to run at regular intervals or manually initiated. (Probably both). If a match is found, the nights are taken out of the general inventory and the info put into a file. The second step must be completed by a human being and consists of a CM making the actual reservation. I believe that the CM work the waitlist match file when the phones aren't busy and in the order of "need". Dates closer to today get worked before those farther away. This explains why sometimes people report calling in and "miraculously" finding out that their waitlist has come through. (Actually, the CM notices the match and completes the process while the person is on the phone).

I also think that in high demand times for 11 & 7 month reservations, (like that last few weeks for early December),the match program is run more frequently (or CMs choose to initiate it more frequently. If one is lucky enough to catch a cancellation in between match program runs, he/she can book the nights before someone's waitlist picks them up. This is why people recommend "stalking the website" to those who want something enough to spend the time doing it.

IMO, this "theory" pretty much explains how it works. To date, I've read nothing that would negate it.

When I do cancel I always take a look to see if everything shows up available or not and as of 2 days ago still continue to see days gone from my cancellation within the time it takes me to finalize the cancellation and to check availability. That has happened every time so while I don't actually know how it works my personal observation is it grabs nights upon cancellation.

And Carol outlined the "magical" filling of reservations - I think a lot of people just call when it's waiting to be finalized. If you look at your Dashboard and see the waitlist missing but no room yet under your reservations then that indicates it's matched and is just in the queue waiting to be completed by the CM. I had one of those myself yesterday.

I ask because I often see people recommending others to keep checking for availability when their desired resort is not available at the time of initial booking. I figure if a waitlist has priority on canceled reservations, it might be a moot point to keep checking, especially during popular times when there might be several people on the waitlist for some dates. On the flip side, if waitlist doesn't get processed automatically and canceled reservation can potentially be "stolen" by others who happen to check at the right time, then getting on the waitlist may not mean much (better than nothing, I supposed)!

LAX

If getting what you want is important to you, my advice is to submit a waitlist(s) and also stalk. Sometimes, the waitlist wins - you just don't know.

I ask because I often see people recommending others to keep checking for availability when their desired resort is not available at the time of initial booking. I figure if a waitlist has priority on canceled reservations, it might be a moot point to keep checking, especially during popular times when there might be several people on the waitlist for some dates. On the flip side, if waitlist doesn't get processed automatically and canceled reservation can potentially be "stolen" by others who happen to check at the right time, then getting on the waitlist may not mean much (better than nothing, I supposed)!

LAX

I think it is much better than nothing. But I also recommend stalking.

Far out waitlists have pretty good odds of being filled. Closer to the date but more than 31 days waitlists have a chance. After 30 days, it's less likely but still possible.

I had to cancel my January 2015 trip at BWV due to the birth of my grand daughter. Then, with about 45 days to work with, I pieced together a trip using the waitlist and stalking. Of course I had to move because I did 8 or 9 days and all that would have been a lot to ask for one resort - I primarily stay at my home resort of BWV.

I eventually had a combo of Poly, BWV, and BLT. I COULD have done just 2 resorts. But I like all three, and BLT was perfect for the Membership Magic night at MK in March. Not bad for a Spring Break style trip!

I will stress that moving twice is more suited to flexible individuals or small parties. On moving day I already had a plan in place and it didn't interfere with my park time. I drive so have my own SUV where I store most of my stuff - don't need to bring everything in for each room - and even though I have an annual pass, the parks are not always first on my list as I like to explore and have been to Disney probably 75 times or more now.

I do not know the answer, but I have had nearly 100% success with waitlisting even during busier times of the year for DVC accommodations. A few have occurred at the 30-31 day mark, but again, the system has worked for me and I am happy.

Wanted to add--I canceled three nights at an AK Value studio during busy Fall Frenzy (Food and Wine) and checked immediately after I canceled the reservation to see if it popped up as available and none of the days did. Guess the wait list snapped it up and never let it go into general inventory.

I always check after cancelling anything too, trying to see what happens.
Everytime I cancel a BLT standard, AKV value, and AKV club, it never shows back up.
Apparently the system is quite efficient in grabbing certain cancellations.

Whenever I've canceled, I've always checked immediately as well and nothing pops up as available. They all go to the waitlist as far as I can tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter