Waiting in the Queue...what do people do when waiting for hours?

ThistleMae

Falling More in Love Every Year!
I was reading in the SWGE thread, where someone suggested they read in line. I've been thinking about it myself, and was wondering how folks spend their time when having to wait for hours to get onto a ride. Especially with the long anticipated wait times for the first new ride in SWGE. I don't own a phone, so I don't have the ability to play games. So I tend to rely on FP+ and don't wait in lines more than 45 min. Maybe we can drum up some unique ideas in this thread. What do you do?

If I'm solo, I'll interact with the people around me if they seem the type. If they are not, I'll just people watch while I wait.

If I'm with friends and/or family, I would visit and talk with them, which seems to always get others around us involved as well. It's a win/win for all of us.

With DH, I’d talk to him or we’d just hang on the line.
If I was alone, I’d listen to a book or podcast.

In both instances, I’d Kill time on my phone as well (browsing, playing a game, work on a travel journal, etc).

My favorite lines are the ones with Disney trivia!

I also second talking - both with your group and "neighbors". (But I get that sometimes there isn't anyone else feeling it.)

My DH does read on his phone often - so he would definitely do that in a really long line. DS would watch videos on his, and I have a puzzle game on mine I occasionally play, or I look around for interesting photos to take.

I don't own a phone, so I don't have the ability to play games.

Do you carry a backpack? It wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a lightweight paperback if you like to read, or a book of crosswords or some other kind of puzzle you enjoy.

I can't remember ever having waited in a line that long and if the posted wait-time said 80 minutes I'd just move on. If I ever did though I'd be with the PP's up-thread who mentioned visiting with my companions, chit-chatting with others in the line and/or people-watching.

In DL & DCA, several of the rides with longer stand-by times have exterior queues, like Peter Pan and Matterhorn, Mickey's Fun Wheel and R n R. Very, very often characters come by and interact with the line and that can really take your mind off the wait. AFAIK that does not happen in WDW though.

Last edited:
I think the question might be asking about the total amount of wait time for the entire vacation. Not at a single ride. At least that was my interpretation.

Last edited:
I went to AK a couple of months after Pandora opened. When in line for both rides, I had good conversations with others in line. I was alone so I had my phone ready to play games, but I never even had to take it out of my pocket. Another person in line for FoP was also on a solo trip so we bonded over that, and we had a woman with her young son behind us. It made the time go by really fast. If I’m with DD, we talk most of the time, about anything and everything.

When the Indiana Jones Adventure opened in Disneyland in 1995 four of us went. We waited for 5 hours, 38 minutes.

No smart phones back then so we were forced to actually engage with others in line. Everyone there were crazy Disney/Jones/theme park fans so there was plenty to talk about - we all shared something in common.
Maybe we can drum up some unique ideas in this thread. What do you do?
I suspect people today have a more difficult time doing that because of smart phones with games and social media and even streaming movies. Talking to others in a long line may seem like some antiquated relic of the past. So you may find no one to talk to.

I always bring my Gameboy Advance and/or my Nintendo 3DS for long waits.

Yes, I'm 30 years old and still play those silly things.
I don't bring them with me to the parks, and I'm many years older than you, but I still find myself re-playing Pokemon Crystal as a time waster more than I probably should. I have too much free time these days and need it to warm up so I can get outside and have some fun. Yeah, they're silly I suppose, but they're also made for enjoyment so I guess we're using them appropriately no matter what. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts