Waiting 2 book solo 2/05 - any tips?

gordon242004

Earning My Ears
Looks like I'm going solo for the first time at WDW. Not sure how I'm going to feel going out for a nice dinner by myself or if I'll feel foolish on the rides. Anybody else ever feel this way? New to this site you probably all ready had these ?'s a million times. Just would like to know how everybody handled it...:earsgirl:

I went on my first solo WDW trip at Easter this year. Riding solo was actually better, because (where it was available) I could use the singles line, which moves so much faster than the regular one. I dine solo occasionally at home, so I did not feel weird, although I did bring a small book along in case I felt awkward with nothing else to look at. While I love sharing WDW with my family, it was wonderful to experience it on my own - go wherever I want, when I want, spend ten minutes looking at the walls in Norway without anyone asking me to get a move on, ride the ferry boats at MK just to enjoy the water and calmness of the boat... it was a wonderful, rejuvenating vacation and I'd happily - no, eagerly - do it again.

Hi Gordon! Welcome to DIS!

Here is a link to my trip report on my first solo day at Epcot.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=588167

I absolutely loved it. I didn't feel weird at all. People there really do go out of there way to make you feel comfortable.

I am trying to get back again soon, solo of course!

I am originally from the Jersey Shore. Where about are you?

Any other questions that I can help you with, feel free to ask!

CC

:wave: Thank you MickeyMonstersMom and Dizneycc,

I feel better about booking for a solo visit. One question did you eat at the nice restaurants or did you eat a lot of the fast food/food court meals?

Dizneycc to answer your ? -- I live in Northern NJ by Wayne, Pompton Lakes area. BTW your trip report was great. I read so much about Off Kilter I'm going to have to make that a top priority of mine.

This forum is great. Disney friends are sooo friendly.

Thanks so much.
LS

Next week, I'm doing a half family/half solo trip--my first solo trip. I'm looking forward to both parts--seeing my nieces's reactions to stuff, and some "me" time to do what I want. My first park I'm visiting solo will be Epcot. I haven't decided if I'll do sit-down meals or fast food/counter service. I eat solo at restaurants all the time, so that won't bother me. Just too much to pick from, I guess.

I plan to post a "trip report" when I get back. I love reading them.

Hi, gordon! I've taken at least 6 solo trips, not counting the ones when I'm solo in the parks only (DH thinks WDW is purely a golf resort!). I tried to do sit-down resturaunts the first few trips, but could never feel comfortable sitting, dining alone. Then I returned to fast food places, but found that if I got up for any reason (rest room, straw, forgot a condiment, etc.), my place was often cleared when I returned! Once I made a trip to the ladies room, and when I returned, a CM had come along and thrown away my tray, along with my much anticipated dessert! So I returned to sit down and carried a little notebook so that I could jot notes on where I'd been, what I'd done, etc. like a trip report, while I ate. Boy, what an improvement! Now I actually look forward to sit down dining, paying for only 1 meal, so I find myself trying more sit down resturaunts. The only ride I ever felt a little foolish on was Cinderella's Carousel, but that was because I chose to try to haul myself up onto a very high horse and struggled. I also sometimes feel a little silly getting on Dumbo and Triceratop Spin, but it's pretty easy to just put those feelings out of my mind when the ride's going.

I've always traveled solo, so have no issues about dining alone or feeling silly on rides. I'm expanding my ride horizons on my next two WDW trips, as I was nursing a very slow-healing injury on the last two trips that limited accessibility to many of the rides.

My only issue with dining at WDW--counter service or full service--is the portion size and accompanying price. I dislike paying for more than double the quantity of food I can eat. Without access to refrigeration and reheating facilities (not to mention not wanting to leave a park immediately after a meal!), I might as well just throw out 50% of the cost of the meal. They really need to have different portion sizes of good food (not overprocessed stuff) available to adults! Not everyone has a hearty appetite!

Don't feel uncomfortable about riding rides that are not "adult" or dining alone. The joy of solo travel is to do what you want, when you want. Of course, if you do something incredibly stupid (not attraction or dining related), you're on your own!

This board is a great place to post about your upcoming trip and I am sure many other solos will be going at the same time as you, so perhaps you could meet for a meal or perhaps to spend the day with someone, there is a place on here called Dining Central which I believe would be just the thing for you. There are alot of passholders who live nearby who would probably love to join you for a dinner etc. The people on this board are fantastic! As a solo myself I do do sit down dinners by myself once in awhile, but tend to do the counter stuff more.

This site is so great. I can't believe how much better I feel about traveling myself. I've been wondering through this sight and can't believe all the tips on here. I can't wait to book my trip.

Does anybody know when they open up next years dates? I was hoping to book soon and start my own countdown.

Thanks again for so many good ideas and insights.

Laurie

Someone here mentioned large portions of food. Whether solo or not, I have found several tips for you. Many times restaurants will let you have the childs portion---4 sure Tony's at MK and Alfredo's at Epcot. Another way is to eat your dinner at lunch, their portions are smaller. Try Canada it was superb!!!!!

Good Luck:Pinkbounc

Thanks for the ideas, WOW!

Most of the items on the children's menus contain too much sodium for yours truly. Occasionally, I find something that works and I always ask! The worst that will happen is they will say no, and I'll order the adult portion and leave most of it, as the funds already are allocated.

I just hate wasting all of that food, though! I still can hear my mother's voice: "Think about all of the starving children...!"

Not to make light of the fact that many are malnourished or starving throughout the world, but it's a strange thing to have pop into one's mind when ordering a meal! :rolleyes:

"Wasting" food and "not getting my money's worth" has always bothered me. I would overeat in an attempt to clean that plate, and not only suffer for hours afterward, but also started gaining unhealthy weight. I've retrained myself to think that I pay for the entire dining experience rather than for just the quantity of food, allowing myself to enjoy the meal more by stopping before I'm too full.

Hi Taja,

Re: Large portions of Food-----I ask for a child's portion of an adult meal......I do not order off of the children's menu.

Thanks, WOW!

Do they have different pricing, or do they just serve a smaller portion?

Yes they are less expensive!!!!!!!!!! It is a great thing!!!!!! Even the waiters agree that many times the portions are just toooooo
big for the average person. Good Luck!!!!

You may have to be assertive with some servers about getting a smaller portion: at Easter when I told my (wonderful) server at Boatwright's that I had a small appetite, she recommended that I order only one sweet potato pancake. She said the option is not on the menu but that they'd be happy to oblige. However, when I returned to Boatwright's in June, I had to talk the server into letting me have only one. BTW, instead of being charged $6.99 or $7.99 for the full entree, I was charged $1.50 for the pancake plus an additional $1 for the sweet potato, and full price for the side of bacon that ordinarily came with the full entree. I still ended up saving a couple of dollars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter